Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
What People Lose at Death (Read 52165 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: What People Lose at Death
Reply #45 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 7:49am

Quote:
The assistance offered the dying Rea and Herbert by Howell’s circle implies that the integration of spirit and soul is essential to making the transition across “the chasm.”  Howell claims that his group actually wintesses the spirit body’s “transmutation.”  I am not clear about the validity of his metaphysical distinctions.  He does not define his terms.   But I am grateful for the attention he draws to the alleged need for such a “transmutation” and “integration” experience.   

In many NDEs, the tunnel experience is followed by an encounter with a Light which the patient identifies as his higher self.   This experience may not be the equivalent of reported encounters with a Being of Light (often Christ).  Rather, it may represent an alternative take on Howell’s observations about the integration of Rea and Herbert with their “soul.”  Here is Howell’s description of his own expereince of his “spirit’s” integration with his “soul:”   

“The integration of soul and spirit in man is an experience of growth which each individual must seek and obtain for himself before he is freed from the obligation of mundane life...I was praying in the Technique of Light, using an exercise of Convsiousness Breathing...Like a stroke of lightning, the vision came unexpectedly...Its effect abides with me even in the writing out of this
testimony...I experienced a spiritual sense of awareness that was similar to sight.  I sensed a dazzling whte light that enveloped my whole being, and permeated every cell of my body.   All energies of life were brought into perfect poise and seemed to be expanded infinitely.  Volumes of truth that were new to me swept across my consciousness as floodlights sweep across the stage.”   

“I could discern no form with my eyes but my spirit knew that the spiritual light had a form that merged with my physical body, a perfect complement interpenetrating each limb and organ and cell...It was not somthing or somebody apart from me...It was a rather familiar remembered self,
that I had lost for ages, and now having contacted, I recognize `her’ to be my soul...It is a man’soul in him integrating with his spirit in him...Before that time I did not know that i had a soul distinctly different from my spirit (131-137).”

Don, it seems I may not be off topic after all, so I'll ask my question again.  Could you give the meaning of spirit and soul from the Old and New Testaments? 

Thanks,
Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #46 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 6:46pm

Kathy,

It is not productive to analyze biblical terms like “soul” and “spirit” in detail.  More intriguiing is the question of where our soul or spiritual body is located.   My views on this question are controversial.  So I’ll quote the relevant texts and let you decide.

(1) First, it is important to recognize that Jesus embraces the soul’s preexistence:
“As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth.  `Teacher,’ his disciples asked Him, `Why was this man born blind?  Was it the result of his own sins or those of his parents?’  `It was not because of his own sins or his parents’ sins,’ Jesus answered, `He was born blind so the power of God could seen in him (John 9:2).’”

Jesus’ disciples take for granted the possiblity of sinning prior to birth.  Jesus does not refute this possibility, but merely insists that the blind man’s current predicament has nothing to do with sin. Thus, both Jesus and His disciples assume that the soul preexists prior to birth.

(2) Reincarnation is not an option in the ancient Palestinian Jewish worldview.   But ancient Jews do believe that the soul, in its preexistent state, is capable of developing character and receiving an earthly destiny. In Jeremiah’s prophetic call, God seems to claim more than foreknowledge of Jeremiah’s future miinistry; God claims: “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born, I consecrated you (Jeremiah 1:5).”

The possibility of developing character prior to birth is implied by a Catholic Old Testament book: “I was a boy of happy disposition.  I had received a good soul as my lot, or rather, being good, I had entered an undefiled body (Wisdom of Solomon 8:19-20).”  The question of when the ancient Jews thought human souls were created is answered by 2 Enoch 23:5: “All souls are prepared for etermity, before the composition of the earth.”  It is impossible to know whether this view was widely shared by Jews in Jesus’ day.  Though all New Age attempts to detect reincarnation in biblical texts fail (r. g. allusions to John the Baptist as Elijah) , the New Ager might argue that reincarnation may be implicit in the Jewish doctrine of the soul’s preexistence.    

(3) This doctrine of preexistence may not imply the ‘ghost within a machine” view of the mind-body connection.   The biblical use of terms for “soul” are often nebulous, but the soul concept is often synonymous with life.   When we ask where our life is located, we are told that it is located not in our body, but in non-spatial heavenly dimensions: “For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3).”  Paul often uses the term “body” as a reference to the total earthly self.  This adds signficance to his use of “house” as a reference to our spiritual body, which he locates in non-spatial heavenly dimensions: “For we are well aware that when the tent that houses us on earth is folded up,m there is a house for us from God, not made by human hands, but everlasting, in the heavens (2 Corinthians 5:1).”  The non-localization of the soul, or rather, the soul’s location in a heavenly dimension, seems implicit in Paul’s claim that the believer is already established in a union with Christ in a heavenly dimension: “ For God raised us from the dead along with Christ, and WERE ARE SEATED WITH HIM (Christ) IN THE HEAVENLY REALMS (Ephesians 2:6).”

Paul’s teaching seems potentially compatible with Howell Vincent’s astral observattions and experiences of “transmutation” amd the “integration” of spirit and soul described in my prior posts.  What will such experiences mean for the faithful who pass over?  Peter celebrates our destiny to ultimately “become participants in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4)” This seems to mean that we will become blinding light beings like Jesus: “Yes, dear friends, we are already God’s
children, and we can’t even imagine what we will be like when Christ appears.  But we do know that when He appears, WE WILL BE LIKE HIM, for we will see Him as He really is.  And all who believe this will purifiy themselves, just as Christ is pure (1 John 3:2).”

Don

IP Logged

bird

Reply #47 - May 15th, 2007 at 8:32pm

ok so i've read through all these pages and have tried to follow along best i can, however i'm a newbie and still have a lot more learning. forgive me if what i'm about to ask is redundant.

as the story goes, when someone dies, they are more often than not greeted by a loved one(s). if this is the case, it would imply they have memory of the person who just passed over - enough so that they would want to greet and be near them. furthermore, it's my understanding that loved ones may decide to stay together in their afterlife travels. why would one be compelled to do so if their earthly memories have faded?

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #48 - May 16th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Hi Don and all  The only thing we lose at death is the family we leave behind,who have all the suffering when we go to spirit, so we lose nothing at death ,but gain quite a lot,we have the love we wish the earth plain had ,no more worries or suffering,our spirit is free at last to fly anywhere it wants to,our thoughts can finally come true and we have no  unhappiness in the spirit world and there, we are fullfilling the commandment from God "Thou shalt love one another, also we are never going to part up from our loved ones in the spirit world as the ones we leave behind at death,will also be with us in the spirit world,so we lose nothing and we gain plenty.

Love and God bless   Love Juditha

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #49 - May 16th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Bird:

Going by my communications with spirits, memories are retained as needed. In fact, I've found that the spirits I've communicated with have much better mental facility than we do. Some might claim that just about anytime a person communicates with a spirit they are communicating with demons who are pretending to be something other than what they are.  I believe there are some spirits who try to deceive. But I've also found in numerous ways that there are loved based spirits who communicate with people in this World.

Don has claimed that light beings make a point of not communicating to people in the World in order to prevent them from communicating with deceptive spirits. This suggests that people who have the courage to make contact with sprits for positive reasons, are completely abandoned by the love based spirits that exist.  This doesn't seem likely and doesn't match my experience. There is no way a deceptive spirit could duplicate some of the xperiences I've had while in contact with spirits.

bird wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 8:32pm:
ok so i've read through all these pages and have tried to follow along best i can, however i'm a newbie and still have a lot more learning. forgive me if what i'm about to ask is redundant.

as the story goes, when someone dies, they are more often than not greeted by a loved one(s). if this is the case, it would imply they have memory of the person who just passed over - enough so that they would want to greet and be near them. furthermore, it's my understanding that loved ones may decide to stay together in their afterlife travels. why would one be compelled to do so if their earthly memories have faded?

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #50 - May 24th, 2007 at 11:37pm

I appreciate the conviction that some here that they have conversed with discarnate spirits who retain their earth memory.  But none of my respondents seem to have directly tackled the apparent inconsistencies of three common astral discoveries.  (1) The newly dead seem to retain some ability to communicate their survival to earthly loved ones in ADCs, but then generally seem to lose this ability, or at least rarely exercise it after about a year.  Thus, 50% of Americans report some contact with their deceased loved one within the first year, but rarely thereafter.  (2) Both Classical Channeling and competent astral exploration suggest that the earth memory goes dormant as the soul progresses and generally (but not always) remains that way.  (3) Yet modern channeling purports to contact the dead in all stages of development with chatty ease and NDEs suggest that greeting parties of deceased relatives welcome the newly dead.  Yet this greeting party often seems suspciously like  mere thought forms similar to the doctors and nurses Robert Bruce encounters in astral Healing Centers.  Bruce doubts that these are real souls.  I am simply puzzled by these apparent inconsistencies and am dissatisfied by the explanations offered to date.  So I would appreciate new and more coherent attempts to directly address the evidence I shall repost.

Astral adept Emanuel Swedenborg  discovers that the earth memories of the deceased eventually become dormant, but also learns that these memories can occasionally be revived by divine discretion.   One might conjecture that their earth memories are revived to allow them to encounter their newly arrived loved ones.  It must be stressed, however, that this is mere conjecture.  Three aspects of ES's claim strike me as significant:

(1) ES has by far the most convincing verifications for his astral gift and his claim of eventual memory loss finds independent confirmation in Classical Channeling.  
(2) Memory loss is not likely to be invented by wishful thinking.  
(3) Loss of earth memory seems the best explanation of why so few of the dead fail to confirm their survival in an unmistakable way to their earthly loved ones.  Most of the newly dead would realize that a simple appearance in their family's dreams would not be very convincing or comforting.   Full-blown apparitions or clairaudient communication would be far more compelling.   Yet such manifestations are rare.   If our deceased loved ones have this capability, why don’t they demonstrate it more frequently to comfort their family and inspire the world?  

What if sitters request contact with fake deceased relatives and the mediums still oblige with a very impressive channeling?  Leonora Piper is one of the most impressive mediums ever.   She had the uncanny ability to channel two entities at the same time, one through automatic writing and the other through entranced speech.   Psychologist G. Stanley Hall had a trick up his sleeve when he went for a sitting with her. She was currently using the spirit of Richard Hodgson as her control.   Hodgson had formerly investigated her, but had recently died of a massive heart attack.  Hall asked Hodgson's spirit to contact Hall’s niece, “Bessie Beals,” so that he might speak with her.  Miss Beals was duly introduced and proceeded to communicate with Hall through Mrs. Piper.  Actually Bessie Beals did not exist.  She was a figment of Hall’s mind.  "Hodgson" in embarrassment tried to wriggle out of the situation, saying that he had been mistaken about the name.  He said that the person brought was a Jessie Beals, related to another sitter.  Dr. Samuel Soal...visualized incidents with an imaginary friend, John Ferguson.  He then went for a sitting with the medium, Blanche Cooper.  The incidents he visualized came forth as though communicated from beyond death!  These cases demonstrate that mediums can unwittingy gain information about the ceased by reading the sitter's mind.  They then routinely dramatize this ESP by inventing a phony personal contact.  One might expect the telephatic abilities of their spirit controls to detect this sort of ruse.   Clearly, the spirit controls were also a fake.

For some, such studies refute all mediumistic claims to converse with the dead.  Others will want to keep open the possibility that some channeling might be genuine.  The latter group might contemplate an apparent contradiction in the claims of Classical Channeling.  On the one hand, mediums routinely claim to put their sitters in contact with the dead.  On the other hand, some of the  best channelers have claimed that, as the  dead, progress, their earth memories become dormant.  So how can they communicate with loved ones whom they cannot recall in any detail?  Does the medium retrieve earth memories from Universal Mind or the so-called Akashic records and present this information as an illusory contact with the deceased loved one?  In that scenario, channeling might be compatible with the grim possbility that we don’t survive death.  Or do some mediums draw from the memories of the deceased without their being aware of it and reissue these memories as bogus conscious contact?  That possibililty might be another implication of  both G. Stanley Hall’s invention of fictional deceased relatives to discredit channeling and the Gordon Davis case in which Davis is channeled as if dead, when in fact he is still alive and unaware of being channeled.    

I will again repost my summary of the Gordon Davis case for the benefit of newbies.  At a sitting with medium Blanche Cooper on Jan. 4 ,1922 , Dr. Samuel Soal’s deceased brother unexpectedly said, “Sam, I’ve brought someone who knows you.”  Then in a very clear, strong, and familiar voice, Gordon Davis began to speak through Cooper.  Davis was an old school acquaintance whom Soal believed to have been killed during World War I.  Davis seemed to verify this when he said, “My poor wife is my only concern now--and my kiddie.”  Soal thought he recognized Davis' tone of voice with its fastidious accent.  The communicator used forms of expression that typified the real Gordon Davis' speech  (e.g. “old chap”; “confab” instead of “meeting”).  Davis spoke of the school they had attended, Rochford, and provided details of their last conversation.  He proceeded to refer correctly to persons, places, and events from their school days.  At two ensuing sittings on Jan. 9 and 30, 1922, Davis gave a detailed description of his house, its contents, and the arrangement of its contents.  

To his great surprise, Soal learned in 1925 that Davis was still alive after all and went to visit him.  A great deal of the channeled material about the house proved to be correct.  But Davis and his "wife and kiddie” had not moved into the house until over a year after the relevant sitting!  Davis' diary showed that during Soal’s sittings he had been seeing real estate clients.  Only around the time of the sittings did Davis even inspect this house for the first time.   But Davis did not move into the house until a year later.  More importantly, the furnishings of the house had not been planned in advance!  Yet the details channeled earlier turned out to be correct: a large mirror, lots of paintings, glorious mountain and sea scenes, very big vases with funny saucers, two brass candlesticks, and a black dickie bird.  Two of the paintings were only done after the sittings!   So much of the material channeled in the later sittings about the house must be ascribed to precognitive telepathy (John Heaney, 176-177).  

Why is channeling not discredited in this way more often?  Well, ask yourself how often you are mistakenly informed that your friend has died.   Was the medium able to exploit Soal’s mistaken faith in Davis’ death as an aid in the process of reconstructing Davis’ personality and future by precognitive telepathy?  Or were the medium (Blanche Cooper) and sitter (Sam Soal) duped by an impersonating spirit?

Some spirit controls seem clearly fraudulent.  While Richard Hodgson was still alive, he thoroughly investigated one of Leonore Piper's spirit controls named Phinuit in 1892.  The Phinuit persona claimed to be the spirit of a French doctor whose full name was Jean Phinuit Scliville and who had lived in the early 1800s and had practiced medicine in London, France, and Belgium.  But he was unable to speak more than a few French phrases, displayed no more knowledge of medicine than the average layman, and had never (according to medical records) attended the medical schools at which he claimed to have studied and practiced.  Hodgson initially concluded that Phinuit was just a secondary personality of Mrs. Piper which either erroneously believed itself o be or falsely pretended to be the spirit of a deceased French doctor.   But Hodgson later changed his mind and now concluded that some of the material produced in a trance by Mrs. Piper seemed to go beyond what might be obtained by thought transference from the sitters and thus seemed to suggest real contact with the dead. In his words, “Among these (comunicators) are more than half-a-dozen intimate friends of my own, who have produced upon me the impression...that they are the personalities I knew, with characteristic intelligence and emotion, questioning me and conversing with me under difficulties.”  In my view, Hodgson's change of mind is misguided.

Shamans understand their mediumship to put them in contact with spirits and demons as well as with deceased people.  In earlier centuries Neoplatonists also practiced trance mediumship, but attributed it to the agency of gods or demons rather than to discarnate humans.   Likewise, witches from the 17th and 18th centuries ascribed their channeled material to demons.  Perhaps the modern attempt to identify spirit controls with deceased personalities reflects the wishful thinking of modern cultural prejudice.  Why is Leonora Piper’s spirit control (Phinuit) lying about his true identity?  Why did Sam Soal’s alleged brother lie about bringing Gordon Davis’ spirit through?   Or were these people simply deceived? I am not claiming that there is one devastating explanation of all channleing and astral contact with the dead. I am merely trying to reconcile contradictory claims and am seeking noew input.

Don

IP Logged

vikingsgal

Northern Illinois
Reply #51 - May 28th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Hi Don,

Here is a possible alternative: perhaps the deceased move to an ever-higher vibratory level.  It may become difficult, then, to communicate with our lower vibrations; hence, it would also be more difficult for us to detect them even if they would willingly contact us.

In my own case, my husband contacted me 21 years after his death.  Later, I learned that the date of contact not only coincided with a time of emotional turmoil for me, but was the very day his father chose to commit suicide.  I have not found out if
the time synchronized also as his two remaining sons are not certain about the time.

Last fall, when I was at my husband's gravesite I had an unusual physical phenomenon.
I distinctly felt something like waves of pulsating electricity encompassing me from the ground on one side up and around and down to the ground on the other side.  What
was even more remarkable was that it felt as though  these pulsing vibrations were on a sort of invisble ruffle extending outward from my body.

Another unusual occurrence was that before I went to Europe to restore his grave
and reconnect with the remaining members of his family, I received an avalanche
of junk mail addressed to a person with an unusual name.  Imagine how I felt to
discover a person with that name as a member of the family in Europe.    I no longer
receive mail addressed to that person.

Best wishes in the move west.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #52 - May 28th, 2007 at 4:31pm

Hi Don-
We've got a lot of stuff here, but with respect only to recall of prior lives, I do have some clinical experience. This is not a proof, but merely what is reported. However, it seems consistent, and is definitely not produced though guiding or biasing the regression.

I have observed that obvious attachment to the prior life, and ease of access to its content, often is connected to severe anxiety. It seems that people who have great fear of the afterlife tend to cling to the mental levels, since the physical ones have fallen away, and also to the lower astral situation in which they find themselves. This seems to be an effort to avoid either prior companions who are feared, or avoidance of "hell", which they don't understand, or some similar major effort at self preservation. Just as Bruce tells of people who build a BST and stay in it, we evidently have the same thing in the clinging to the material world during the interlife transition. 

The thinking ability of these spirits is one tracked - they can follow a single thread of reasoning, but do poorly with abstractions. This is also true of entities who are being liberated from their hosts. In general, the process of thought is a matter of urges and tendencies without any abstraction at all (primary process - raw emotional stuff - not "thoughtful", but entirely "reactive". Typically, these involve flight from feared past events, an effort to escape the prior situation, feelings that to escape the prior situation is dangerous, clinging to the material world as an escape vehicle, which stimulates recollection of past events.  Actual memories and so on tend to arise after intervention has entered the otherwise closed system of definitions of self for the frightened spirit.

You can personally do regressions and check this out - all it takes is a little patience, and great care to not lead people, since they'll build any kind of structure you hint at if you infer that that's what you're looking for. I think you'll find that you can directly observe this stuff more effectively than trying to extrapolate it out of other people's writings. Also, the same information that you get by regression methods should be easily verified by experiences retrieving stuck souls, since they're essentially the same.

Most definitely, one does not lose everything and wind up tabula rasa.  However, there seems to be something about secondary process thinking, the ability to abstract and carry multiple threads of logic, that uses the physical body and brain in a manner not generally available in regression, and presumably not available in one's spiritual existence.

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #53 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:54am

How awful, Dave,

To lose our ability for abstract thinking after death........I for one will not take it as a given, and will try to find another path.  I can understand, on the one hand how attachment to this life and the physical world could prevent one from learning valuable lessons and moving on.  On the other, I believe that the love we carry with us of our loved ones can not easily be forgotten, no matter what our path.

Augo has an interesting quote from Steiner on the board where he describes the stages after death, and the living of one's earthly memories, which, unbound from a physical body take on an existence of their own in the astral.  I'm not sure I like everything he has to say about it as well.

We still have not reconciled Don's chatty mediums with the loss of memories and abstract thinking that others on the board find.  As such, I will stubbornly cling to the belief that loss of abstract reasoning and memory is not a given in the afterlife, and that there may be other forces at work here.  If the purpose of our existence is based on love, I don't see why complete loss of memory is necessary or loss of the ability to think clearly or use intelligence in an abstract way.  There has to be more to consciousness than that.

Matthew

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #54 - May 29th, 2007 at 7:26am

Hi Matthew - hope you are well

Steiner tells us the condition of the recent past life memories becoming an outer reality lasts for a couple of days and then a new kind of consciousness appears after this.  It seems this consciousness is inherent with us all the time however in the afterlife it does not need the brain process to think - it is more of an awareness ..

&&

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #55 - May 29th, 2007 at 3:06pm

Relating to what Dave, Doc and Augo have recently wrote, I'm adding some thoughts, without coming to a definite conclusion.

When I had my night in heaven experience I was an atheist. If somebody tried to tell me that God and the afterlife existed, I would've said no way. Yet when I had my experience no effort to convince me was required. Divine truth was completeley obvious. I've had other experiences where the truth of the matter was simply known beyond what my beliefs told me. Many NDEs have confirmed what I have found.

On the other hand, while we dream, our abstract thinking gets lost to an extent where we usually don't tend to notice that we are dreaming, even though we experience things that contradict our physical life. I've found that my basic moral structure stays alive during a dream. If I consider a particular kind of activity inappropriate while in the physical, I'm likely to find it inappropriate during a dream. I've found that unfavorable tendencies I haven't let go of completely will manifest in a dream, even though for the most part I prevent them from manifesting in the physical. After analyzing over 1,000 dreams during the past two years or so, I believe that dreams are created by our higher selves.  Therefore, the factor of not questioning things that are inconsistent with what we experience while in the physical, might be a matter of how our higher self feeds us information.  I believe there are limits. If we aren't open to seeing something, our higher self won't force it on us.

I've found that a lot of people aren't good at abstract thinking while in the physical. They are quick to react to what their overall psychological conditioning tells them. If a person gets in the habit of stepping back and trying to look at things honestly while in the physical, this tendency might carry over into the after life. Sort of related to this, sometimes I have meditations where I experience all kinds of things but don't get effected, because I take the position of the one who experiences everything. I take such a position by feeling it, rather than thinking about it. Since this type of experience doesn't happen all of the time, I believe my higher self is getting me used to taking the position of my awareness self. It is at this level that true intelligence and detachment exists. If you want to remember who you really are when you die, try to remember who you are while alive.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #56 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:32pm

OK Don- we agree on this for sure. The modality of awareness when you had your "night in heaven" was primary - just as is the mode of awareness in dreams. However, as Caryn mentions, there is a subtle kind of "thinking" that works on the primary level in meditation. It is non-verbal, and seems to carry basic meanings, rather than analytical interpretations. This is the normal "thinking state" in meditation.

Matthew - I personally don't need to analyze ideas when they are self evident - "God is love" is an analytical expression that totally misses all but my opinion about God. The experience of directly facing God is, in itself, sufficient - it doesn't need to be analyzed. This doesn't feel awful at all. In fact, it feels as if the thinking process is far too often interposed between me and reality, and that only by ceasing to "think" can I be directly present in the events of the moment.

Many people "meditate" by abstract thought. This is actually the beginning of the meditative sequence, and more often is called "concentration". It's a good skill, but still binds us to the material world. A useful exercize is to chant "Om" (or any other desired syllable - I like Om because it is associated with the transcendental) and do it four times -  (a) First time, chant aloud with volume. (b) Second time, chant at low volume. (c) Third time, chant it only in your mind. (d) Listen very intently for the surrounding world to chant it. - Now, notice the kind of "thinking" that happened while you were listening, and before your mind started to tell you that "Hey, look, I'm listening." - That gratuitous verbalization, or its equivalent, is a useless activity, since you're already doing what it says. All that these verbalizations do is isolate us from the moment of experience.

After a while, the mind gives up and shuts up until you call on it for something, which is sometimes called "the sound of silence". I think you'll like the experience, but it marks the end of dependency on secondary processing.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #57 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:42pm

Dave,

I have experienced moments of deep awareness in calm meditation.  Pure awareness.  While I appreciate that, I know for a fact that you and I value our ability to think and reason, whether based on physical reality or not. 

Your goals of understanding involve, by necessity some abstract line of reasoning.  I do not accept therefore, as fact that in spirit we would be incapable of juggling various lines of thought or abstractions.  I agree that we may lose the ability to speak of our elxperience in terms of being a physical entity, and as such, our descriptions and idease may be changed.

But I will not buy into this idea that most spirits lose their ability to reason or be what we consider to be rational, thinking creatures.  Cogito ergo sum.  I think therefore I am.   My thoughts while presented in the physical plane do not arise from there now, and hence when I pass away from the physical, these thoughts should still find expression, even the abstract ones.

M

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #58 - May 29th, 2007 at 6:08pm

If one watches people closely, are they abstract thinkers, or do they think according to their overall psychological conditioning? Perhaps until a Soul reaches a point where it is the master of its thought energy, rather than a being who is lost within it, there is no such thing as complete abstract thought. A lack of a physical World to set limits, really causes a reactive belief way of thinking to get the best of a person after he or she dies.

Perhaps the subjects Dave hypnotized never got to the point in their previous lifetimes where they could honestly question their belief systems and way of thinking. Therefore, when they died, just as when they were alive, they lived in a reactive manner rather than a proactive manner.

How often do you run into a person who will seriously question his or her beliefs, or doesn't reactively respond to circumstances in an emotional way? Just watch a cable news program and see how unbending people are when they discuss differing viewpoints.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2007 at 8:12pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #59 - May 29th, 2007 at 8:07pm

Hi all, my, I just decided to look over this thread and find it kickin! it is putting some things in perspective for me regarding the area of retrievals and that state of mind. I find in retrievals a merge takes place in the energy field of the retriever and the retrievee. my first retrieval I was cautioned by a guide to not get overwhelmed by the emotion of the retrievee and I am calling an emotion a field of energy.
Thanks for my lesson today Dave in primary process.
______

Primary process is the operational description for emotional thinking.  It's difficult for me to express verbally because I always use symbols working at home.
______

I found associative state of mind most expansive when changing out belief system programs.  emotional thinking I found can be two types: conscious or unconscious. emotions of the unconscious type are difficult to separate from the thoughts they are attached to, where they had their inception, if they are attached to a programmed belief system, perhaps, for example a buried memory will hold an emotion, and the emotion is attached to a false belief of self definition.
Non emotional thinking on the other hand would point to an altered state of awareness or a mind merged into all that is, including the collective mind. However, Dave expresses a psychotic state can be non-emotional. I would just add there is buried emotion there in the psychotic which aided by the energy of PUL, can bring out the buried emotion and those features of the emotion which relate to a belief system. a flashlight symbol just flashed by.

The mindstate of those stuck in astral levels close to the earth upon demise is what I think is the subject here.
I would like to add for the benefit of those who might fear a death transistion to be stuck, that it can also be looked at as a natural process, in that assistance is available, involved with the right moment where free will is not interfered with. the lightbulb has to want to change. Those of us who practice retrieval while physical or nonphysical, provide a nudge of movement into what will be a natural movement anyway within process. We speed things up to move, as change is the only constant.

Without a body, our definition is the sum of all the relationships associated with being who we were in the past. Thus, without a body, we are just history, plus a dynamic tendency for interaction.
I agree, I did have a dynamic tendency for interaction when I experienced a situation of being dead and not knowing I was dead. (obviously, I wasn't totally dead although I had become history) I was only this dynamic tendency, I recognized it differently, I called it a sense of adventure or defined it as myself. u guys will have to pardon me that I speak from my own level of observation as I am motivated by the emotion of excitement to finally understand Dave's language. Dave, I wanted to become a psychologist but they wouldn't let me in.  Smiley

Emotion arises as the logical projection of our history, and manifests as the dynamic. Were the available realityinto which to next move our existence to not support all of our definitions, then those fall off. This is sensed as some kind of suffering.

if I continue with my NDE, then I do recall a sense one could call suffering, but to me, it wasn't like suffering in the worst degree, but a sense of being a non-entity, of no intrinsic value to those whom could not interact with me, as they were physical and I was non/physical and couldn't tell the difference; this causes a type of suffering, but the propelling agent was the sense of adventure to find the answer to the question of why I was dissociated from these others. So the state of confusion can be seen as suffering. I didn't consider it suffering. there were some grid lines which caused self navigation. suffering must be relative.  what I liked about this experience is that I now had a clue how a deceased person might feel while trying to get the attention of us here who are in bodies. although I say it wasn't the greatest degree of suffering I can imagine exists, at the same time it was certainly not pleasant. It was love that was my salvation. the grid put me to the love of my daughter. Doc will feel comforted by this message.

The reason that we "live the thought" in primary processing is that the mechanism by which it is handled is our collection of attributive relationships with the world, so that these are altered as we alter our attitudes. In this way, the physical body is involved in emotions when we have one, and when we don't, our definition as an historically supported event is altered.
________
Were we to be able to exist as a static structure, matters might be different, but our existence is in the dynamic between instants of external definition. Thus, as we "live the thought" we also alter attitudes and the choices made. The options for participation in some of the other available future states are more likely in some cases, less so in others. But we are forced, willy nilly, to participate, because only in the dynamic do we exist.
____

right. I think Dave just said we are all one, and nothing without each other because only in the dynamic do we exist. or no man is an island.  thanks again for your post Dave. I was just thinking of writing some more about retrievals. now I have some thought about it. love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.