Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
What People Lose at Death (Read 52206 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: What People Lose at Death
Reply #75 - May 30th, 2007 at 4:59pm

Alysia:

I don't believe that merging means that one spirit has to surrender its intellect so that another spirit's intellect can take over.  Especially not,  if as Swendenborg suggests, it's always the spirit who used to inhabit a female body that has to surrender its intelllect.

Alysia, my guess is, that even though you inhabit a female body now, you believe that your spirit isn't limited to one particular gender. Why go through the trouble of developing your intellect in this lifetime, just so you can give it up when you merge with a spirit that used to inhabit a male body? Where is the National Organization For Women when we need them? Smiley They need to chime in on Swedenborg's concept of how merging works.  Cry

LaffingRain wrote on May 30th, 2007 at 4:35pm:
Albert said: Regarding what Emanuel Swedenborg wrote, I recently checked out four of his books from the library, and after reading a little I stopped doing so, because some of his viewpoints are hard to believe. For example, in heaven and hell, he writes that when a male and female get married they merge as one, the male spirit takes on the role of intellect, and the female takes on the role of volition.
________

Albert I had to go to the dictionary for "volition."  I don't know about these statements either, I think they need much greater scrutiny, they seem incomplete.

speaking just off the top of my cranium, there's only a few men I've met personally who could keep up with me intellectually. I have to rely on archtypes for guidance there.
as for the definition of "volition" and speaking as a woman, my polarity choice in this lifetime only, the definition went like this: noun:   the act of making a choice (Example: "Followed my father of my own volition")

it can be said in marriage between opposite polarities love of the highest order entails a desire to please. yet its beyond that aways. man and woman surrender to each other their respective egos and do merge. she is receptive in that regard, he is active in leading in his spirit. it has nothing to do with who's boss if they are in Oneness, like is described above.

in general, we are not at that high of an evolutionary standard.

IP Logged

vikingsgal

Northern Illinois
Reply #76 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:31pm

We need a bona fide Swendenborgian expert to advise us here.
However, I have a different take on this.  I do not read "surrender" into
this text.  I believe that to be a demeaning and confused  interpretation of
what he actually wrote

I see Swedenborg as saying that there is a division of labor for sheer functionality.
Accordingly, he is implying that we continue being as useful as possible.  Our
existance is for the greater good of all of the cosmos, not just as a personal ego trip.
I see this as an example of how we are going to, probably, have the opportunity
to work efficiently and effectively with ever-larger groupings of evolved beings

I read his remarks as follows: Half of the complete person, i.e. the E. S. angel,
reasons about a matter and presents it to the other half  which then decides whether
the angel should act upon it and how to act upon it .In other words, the feminine half, based upon the most clearly reasoned information available, is the deciding half.  I don't see that as losing one's intellect but rather using it effectively.  Frankly, one can hardly have too much information and it speaks to a future of active, rapid decision making.

Further, as a person becomes more involved in cosmological pursuits, knowledge that
was useful here ,in this dimension, probably would be less and less useful in other realms.
An analogy, even though it's good and useful knowledge to know how to pilot a plane,
when one can move with the speed of light or thought probably the earthly skill decays.
It surely doesn't mean that useful attitudes learned while driving (spirit of adventure, etc., ) would vanish.  That would be the useful, practical part and would enhance flexibility in
encountering the ever- expanding, extraordinary universe.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #77 - May 30th, 2007 at 5:44pm

I don't believe a person needs to be a Swedenborg expert to understand what he said about the issue of a female spirit, if there is such a thing, surrendering her intellect to a male spirit, if there is such a thing. Certainly oneness can be obtained without spirits who inhabited a female body for a while having to surrender their intellect to a spirit who used inhabit a male body.

I haven't run accross any other source that suggests what Swedenborg contends on this matter. It sure doesn't feel right to me.

vikingsgal wrote on May 30th, 2007 at 5:31pm:
We need a bona fide Swendenborgian expert to advise us here.
However, I have a different take on this.  I do not read "surrender" into
this text.  I believe that to be a demeaning and confused  interpretation of
what he actually wrote

I see Swedenborg as saying that there is a division of labor for sheer functionality.
Accordingly, he is implying that we continue being as useful as possible.  Our
existance is for the greater good of the cosmos, not just as a personal ego trip.
I see this as an example of how we are going to, probably, have to work with
ever-larger groupings.

I read his remarks as follows: Half of the complete person, i.e. the E. S. angel,
reasons about a matter and presents it to the other half  which then decides whether
the angel should act upon it and how to act upon it .In other words, the feminine half, based upon the most clearly reasoned information available, is the deciding half.  I don't see that as losing one's intellect but rather using it effectively.  Frankly, one can hardly have too much information and it speaks to a future of active, rapid decision making.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2007 at 7:59pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #78 - May 30th, 2007 at 7:06pm

This summary of Swedenborg's ideas gets to the heart of our discussion about abstract thinking or reason in the spiritual world:

LOGIC

There are no connate ideas.40 Animals have no ideas of thought but they have instincts which can be called 'connate knowledges' corresponding to their affections; but man's perfection is in part due to his being born ignorant. 41 All his knowledge of individual things is gained a posteriori, through sense experience, and is cumulative and incomplete, never absolute.42 Yet what we call 'sensation' is not a physical influx into the mind, but it results from the influx of what is spiritual which forms itself into memories in accommodation to, or correspondence with, the state of the sensories.43

It is thus the spiritual which endows a sensory impulse with 'meaning,' whether this meaning be felt consciously or not. This would be impossible unless the spiritual soul were in the constant endeavor to "represent to itself the universe," and (even in the embryo) acted as if omniscient of all the possible states of its finite realm of both body and mind.44

The soul is entirely beyond the compass of conscious thought. Nor can the soul instruct the mind.45 Man is not born rational but is born with the faculties of rationality and liberty.46 The soul endows the mind with the faculty of drawing meanings from the changes of its sensories, and also with spontaneous patterns or inherent laws for rational thinking: patterns which the mind may fill in, or - from free will - avoid.47

This inborn faculty of rationality, or of seeing truths in light, enables a man to raise his understanding above his native will and to recognize truth contrary to his self interest.48

Certain laws of reason operate as connate endowments above man's consciousness and enable him to have a direct intuitive perception or acknowledgment of universals a priori. 49 The laws of "logic" are therefore inscribed on the mind from the first, and operate even in a babe.50 As man, consciously and a posteriori, fills out and confirms some of its patterns, he recognizes the resulting concept as an a priori doctrine from which he views his further experience.51

This mode of procedure is equally applicable to theological research, whether the data are gathered from a field of representative truths or from revealed doctrine. The doctrines thus formed are always conditioned upon a state of enlightenment and upon the clarity of a man's perception of universals.52 The perception of celestial good which was common with the most ancient people no longer exists. But a perception of what is just and right - or 'common sense' - exists naturally, based on knowledge.53

As an animal from influx knows his natural needs, so man, if rightly educated, can see, in things purely rational, moral, and spiritual, truths from the light of truth, which is from heaven and which is obscured only by confirmed falsities.54 On the other hand, to rely on artificial systems of logic and involved scholastic terms leads to the loss of 'common sense.'55

Matthew

IP Logged

vikingsgal

Northern Illinois
Reply #79 - May 30th, 2007 at 11:45pm

Thank you so much, Matthew, for transcribing this cogent,  well-organized
argument.

I particularly like his view that our knowledge will be forever incomplete.(Remember
that in the late 19th century, it was argued that the US patent office should be
closed as everything that could possibly be invented had been invented.)
Thus, he argues for a vertical, ever- expanding growth as the ideal for both the
individual and mankind in general. Isn't this what's happening now?

Further, it is true that we choose to assign meanings based on previous sensory
experiences as seen through the filter of our own consciousness.  We need to recognize
this basic freedom of choice.

What's needful is to explore our personal use of will in assigning meanings.  Alot of
non-developmental stages could be surpassed by not working against ourselves
by resorting to habitual patterns that do not enhance anything.

At some point, apparently, we'll observe our actions and be called upon to accept
responsibility.  I think it's a good idea now to take a closer look at our own
actions and see if we were other-directed or actually having a frequent pity party.

To lead a useful life, one needs to extend one's self and focus on the needs of others.
All of us have read of people who have accomplished this.  Just now, an example
that comes to mind is a young person who sacrifices his life by physically blocking
a grenade explosion.  He acts against his basic, instinctual behavior of self preservation.

The comment about ancient people having a greater awareness of celestial good is
interesting.  I think he's hit on something there. Eons ago people did have a mystic
take on the world.  When we moved to the "only what can be measured" view.
we threw out the baby too.  These days, many recognize the sheer unknowability
of creation, and are utilizing intuition to gain insight.

Once again, thanks.  This is a fascinating thread.  Cheesy

Vikingsgal

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Re: What People Lose and gain at Death
Reply #80 - May 31st, 2007 at 3:09am

Hi all – hi there vikingsgal nice to meet you  Smiley

I once had this experience, it wasn’t so long ago, and it is those experiences which linger in memory forever.

I have a tiny box made out of shells and in the box are small shells I have collected while being on the coast here.  Also in this box is my small silver cross and a couple of silver and gold stars.

One day I opened the box and had this incredible flash almost vision run through my mind.  The scene was the coastline and the overall colour was this incredible warm golden hue.  The most amazing part was I felt myself to be part of the scene, I was the air, I was the beach, I was the sea, I was the clouds.

It is difficult to find the words to describe it exactly and I am not sure if I’m making sense to you but it was such a feeling of being part of nature and at the same time aware of everything including myself.

Every now and now I open my box to see if I can capture that scene again but it’s only happened once.

I can understand what Swedenborg is saying (I haven’t read his work but really enjoyed what you posted Matt) It is a very special thing he is talking about and the metaphor is so beautiful.  He’s talking about the Her/Him, the Soul (her) and the Spirit (him) joining in the ultimate marriage.

There are many interpretations and meanings to this poetry – I think it’s quite beautiful – a love story!  I think it is important for the soul (and spirit) to read poetry and other literature written by the elders for the nourishment of the soul which in turn awakens it into the area of being moved by feeling.

Sigh  Smiley

&&

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #81 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:37pm

I've decided to resurrect this old thread for 2 reasons:
(1) It deals with a very important spiritual topic that is seldom discussed critically.
(2) Although some of the discussion here is the most intelligent I've encountered on any of my threads, I find most of the various suggestions finally unconvincing because of conflicting relevant claims from various "spiritual sources."  Please survey the thread and share your current thinking about this issue.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2017 at 11:55pm by TheDonald »  

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #82 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 11:38pm

First of all, on rereading this thread, I have to say that it brought back memories, of how a great discussion could be had by all without a soap opera of personal attacks.  The next thing that comes to mind is how great it was to have Dave-MBS around, and how I miss him here after his sudden passing.  But the contributions of all including Bruce, Alysia, Vikingsgal, and all others was inspirational.

When I read the title of this thread, I think of Swedenborg's descriptions of the three stages of man after death.  The first stage is described as man being in his "outer aspects," much like he/she was while alive, vested in the ego, the mask of personality which was crafted while incarnate with societal norms in place, and culture - much of which was cultivated over a lifetime. 

The second stage after death is described as a move toward our inner aspects - i.e., our true intentions, and inner loves, which may be restrained or masked by the cloak of our earthly training, mask or personality.  At a certain point in spirit, we begin to allow any pretense from our earthly egos to melt away, so that we follow our true inner inclinations and do not put up a false front as so many do to interact in the physical world.  Here, at this stage, a person's true intentions tend to be amplified.  If a person's intentions were loving and good while incarnate, during the second stage they tend to follow that path and remain rational and wise; if they were evil, they then drifted toward their inner nature and became more irrational and unloving.

The third stage, according to ES, was a state of instruction.  This stage generally was only encountered in those who were bound for a heavenly plane, as those who who were bound for a hellish plane he found could not be taught, for they preferred to turn their back toward real love and goodness in favor of their own pleasure in the plane they belonged too. 

One of the main questions that comes up is what do we retain as we progress along these stages after death?

M

IP Logged

Uno

ALK Member

Reply #83 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 12:07am

DocM wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 11:38pm:
One of the main questions that comes up is what do we retain as we progress along these stages after death?M

But what is there to retain? If we leave out the physical body, there are emotions and thoughts.

If I were to close my eyes, my awareness can register external sounds for example, and internal emotions and thoughts. But not only is there awareness, but also an internal initiative that decides to keep the eyes closed or to open them.

If you claim there is no truth and in the same breath claim that is the truth, you are a leftist.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #84 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 12:37am

So you, Uno, have a unique earthly personality; likes, dislikes, memories, thoughts.  There are outer aspects which have accumulated over time; things you've been taught, societal norms, the mask we all wear to interact with others.  However, some of what makes you Uno has to do with your inner motivations and primary love/focus. 

So what is there to retain?  Well, earthly memories for one.  Some of our memory is tied to correspondences in the earthly plane.  So there is a theory that while in spirit long enough we may refocus our thought/intentions on our new reality and not access some of these memories when we are apart from physical reality.  At the first stage after death, all memories appear to be intact, but as we progress to our inner nature, it is unclear how often and when we can access these memories.  That issue, if true, is troubling to many.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #85 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 12:39am

These questions strike me as potentially helpful,
(1) In our dream consciousness, we normally seem far less astute in our critical faculties and scope of awareness.  How analogous is such dream consciousness to disembodied consciousness after death? 

(2) Most of us love our families and, if it were up to us, we would be eager to reassure them of our wellbeing and survival after our death.  So why aren't  ADCs with convincing verifications more common?  Is it because most of us don't know how to make such ADC contacts?  Or is it because the earth memories of most of us become dormant soon after death?  What, then, about the exceptions who provide us convincing ADCs?  [See my ADC thread.]   Are they simply earthbound spirits whose status as such makes it easier for them to make postmortem contact with their surviving loved ones?  Or are their energetic vibrations more in sync with the loved ones they contact?   Or have they simply been able to shed limiting beliefs that prevent ADC encounters from happening?  Perhaps research into the personality types and religious/ philosophical backgrounds of postmortem ADC contactors might hint at the answer.

IP Logged

Uno

ALK Member

Reply #86 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 2:30am

Good point about accumulation DocM. And regarding what there is to retain I forgot about values.

My first alleged memory is when being 1 year and 7 months old. I remember raising myself by a chair, falling down and raising myself while out of the blue being hushed several times. My mom was watching TV and there was news she was emotional about. I remember what the news was about. I remember the house we allegedly were at and the color of the house. If the memory itself was important to me, I could check with my mom and the verification would be at the mercy of her memory. The important takeaway though is the possibility and concept of a false memory. I do not remember using a pacifier in my early years, but I have seen pictures that confirms my previous addiction. I have noticed that my own memory and the memory of others vary from reliable, to unreliable, to the actual opposite of what is true (according to my memory). Some people have problematic and traumatic memories that resurface after a number of years.

If you claim there is no truth and in the same breath claim that is the truth, you are a leftist.

IP Logged

Uno

ALK Member

Reply #87 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 2:31am

TheDonald wrote on Jun 5th, 2017 at 12:39am:
(1) In our dream consciousness, we normally seem far less astute in our critical faculties and scope of awareness.

The quality of awareness in my dreams that is most common is being along for the ride, like a passenger having a look out the window. Then with lucid dreams there can also be partial and not full lucidity. I've found changing the size of a pair of shoes to be harder than flying when gaining lucidity (being able to decide). The last lucid dream to my recollection was treating the objects in the dream world as 3D ojects in a computer program and then zooming into the objects and checking the resolution of the texture wrapping themselves around the forms/objects.

I would add to your questions (2): is it common to be unaware about one's death and hence the newly deceased will then not want to contact loved ones? Also I expect some deaths resulting from accidents to be quite shocking and confusing. One minute a person could be walking down a hill to suddenly loose footing, tumble down, raise up and find a familiar body in the field of view.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #88 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 1:40pm

Uno: "I would add to your questions (2): is it common to be unaware about one's death and hence the newly deceased will then not want to contact loved ones? Also I expect some deaths resulting from accidents to be quite shocking and confusing."

Yes, those 2 issues could be factors to help explain an initial failure to contact surviving loved ones.  But of course, both issues would also imply a badly diminished level of lucidity and astuteness. 

Surely TMI and other astral adepts could explore these questions by seeking out new arrives to the afterlife and studying their mental condition.  ES is the only adept to my knowledge who does this for 3 stages of the arrival process, but he doesn't explicitly address my  questions.   But his discovery of the onset of memory dormancy comes closest to a truly experience-based answer.  Yet his concession that God at times restores memory for His own purpose (e. g. past life reviews) may also signal a window of opportunity for an ADC contact.  What seems unlikely is the chatty ease with which mediums claim to to routinely mediate such contact. 

IP Logged

Uno

ALK Member

Reply #89 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 2:29pm

Following what there is to retain at death, I'll try to exemplify conscience, so help me God, with a simple and hopefully suitable example for a public forum. But first some definitions:

Conscience:
A guide for one's behaviour
Awareness of one's actions as being either morally right or wrong
Awareness of right and wrong that governs a persons's thoughts and actions
Awareness of right and wrong in one's conduct and motives, impelling one toward right action
Inner judge/voice of right and wrong to guide one's conduct
The highest sense within our self of what is good and right to do by others (1796/Crossbow)
The urge to prefer right over wrong
The responsibility of one's own words and deeds (Morrighan)

Like:
To feel attraction toward, to feel inclined, to take pleasure (feeling of enjoyment) in

Example:
I was a potato employee for my former employer, and it turned out to be a dynamic position to learn about the structure and the people from top to bottom, and sometimes assignments nobody else would do. One assignment was taking pictures of collected stray animals, in order to see if any of them became reported as missing or else they would be killed. I hesitated about the scenario and when learning about who had collected the animals. I knew the man had been convicted for harming my ex-girlfriend when she was growing up, but eventually agreed to do the snapshots.

Not knowing what to expect I stepped into the room where the animals were and my first thought was "this is wrong" and then took a closer look around. The room was barely lit, cold, damp, the cages were way too small and the animals seemed alarmed/frightened but yet settled. My emotional reaction started swirling, but composed myself quickly and decided to do what I agreed to do with smooth movements and be quick about it to try to minimise the duration they had to spend with the stranger. And of course, my exposure to the situation would end. The way back to work took a short time, while thinking about the whole situation and how to address it while my emotions were boiling and bubbling. I met my employer on the way in and told him that the pictures were taken, and that it was likely that he would be accused of animal abuse if there was to be an inspection. I don't remember the exact response only that it was defensive and swift. When I came back home and met the cat of the house, shame and post-cowardice lingered for the rest of the day, while questioning myself, how I could have done better, how my weakness betrayed my sense of doing what was right, though I wasn't really sure what was right. I did one more round of pictures and then at least the room was lit and the cages were much bigger. Soon after the collection stopped, not to my involvement.

Questions:
If what we like and what we don't like are treated as right and wrong, how likely is one to pay attention to conscience? How likely is one to be aware of one's conscience when one is wrapped up in or centred around what we don't like or what we do like, seeing that as the most trustworthy compass? Does one eye conscience when too emotional?

If you like doing good and have a clear sense of what is good then it there is a fortunate compatibility, yet if somebody likes to harm children then like is revealed to be relative.

Is a halo/nimbus symbolic of conscience? Awareness? Something else? https://ibb.co/cMFHyF

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.