Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
What People Lose at Death (Read 52205 times)
Berserk

Afterlife Knowledge Member

What People Lose at Death
Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:38am

Of course, we lose contact with the physical and all that this entails--relationships, physical skills, appreciation of Nature's physical beauty, etc.   But that is not what I mean.  I'm starting this topic in response to Kathy's question about Peter Novak's theory.  I think his theory is seriously flawed, but he draws attention to a serious issue that needs further exploration.--what mental functions can be lost at death.  My earlier thread on astral memory loss is clearly relevant here, but I want to broaden my exploration of this issue.  

Let me begin with Robert Monroe's definition of Focus 23 [= the biblical Sheol]:

"A level inhabited by those who have recently left physical existence but who either have not been able to recognize and accept this or are unable to free themselves from the ties to the Earth Life Sustem.  It includes those from all periods of time ("Ultimate Journey"  240)."

Any normal human with the equivalent of his earthly brain should be able to recognize in just a few minutes after death that he is neither dreaming nor still in physical reality.  The failure of so many to recognize their own death indicates a radically diminished mental capacity.  According to Monroe, this diminished capacity seems to be virtually permanent for many souls.  Many souls trapped in Focus 23 even seem to be insane.  I find this widespread condition depressing and wonder how and for whom it might be reversible.

By analogy, I recently realized that, even in my most lucid dreams, my mental capacity in more limited than in my waking state.  True, I see the dream scene in great detail and my 5 senses can be intensely engaged in the experience.  I know that I am dreaming and that my body is "back there" in bed.  I can even argue with my dream characters that I am God in this dream universe and that they are mere figments of my imagination.   But I am never sufficiently lucid to control the reactions of my dream people.   Nor is my memory as focused on the events and agendas of my waking reality as when I'm awake.   If this lucid dream consciousness is the equivalent of what many deceased souls experience in Focus 23, then I can see why they have trouble even discerning that they are dead.    

What part of mental functioning do various categories of the newly dead at least initially lose (memories, intellectual astuteness, critical thinking, spiritual perception, etc.)?   For Focus 23, what distinctions can be drawn between earthbound souls (e. g. alcoholics), those who don't realize they're dead, and those who are insane?  What categories of people only lose these functions temporarily?  What categories lose them indefinitely?  Do we lose other parts of our earthly mental functioning as we "ascend" to higher planes?    

I have been rereading what Presbyterian minister Howell Vincent has discovered about these questions in "Lighted Passage" and how this issue impacts his astral efforts at soul retrievals.  I normally establish a detailed agenda for threads I initiate.  But I am eager to learn from your own reading and astral experiences on this issue, and so, this time I will postpone my discussion of Rev. Vincent's astral insights until I see what you have to share.  

Don  
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2007 at 3:37pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

DocM

Re: What People Lose at Death
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 4:25am

It is clear from most near death experiences that they have a very different flavor than a lucid dream or dream.  Some characteristics which are mentioned frequently include the "crystal clarity" of perception and thought.  In depth conversations are often encountered, and in many cases, memory appears to actually be enhanced (i.e. acces to memories in the life review). 

In contrast, the vast majority of us (most probably 99+%) have significantly decreased abilities while dreaming in sleep.  Yet, I would not extrapolate much from this fact.  The number of sous stuck in the earthbound planes, I would argue is much smaller than the number who progress on.  We are told by numerous sources that there are deceased relatives, religious figures and others who try to attract our attention from the earliest stages - if we are only open to the experience.  We have been told that this attempt is virtually universal, and that as soon as a person dies, the process is always initiated, automatically.

Those who are unloving/destructive/hateful to others,  may truly initially find themselves in darkness, like Howard Storm did initially.  In thier instances, I think getting stuck in an earthbound plane may be much easier, as they may be unable to see the helpers/loved ones who would normally meet them. 

Swedenborg states that upon death, man is present is his complete human form, with memories intact.  He does mention that those who turn away from God's truth and indulge their own falsities may have problems at this stage:

(from HH chapter 47):

"That which has now been said can be understood by the rational man, for he can see it from the connection of causes and from truths in their order; but it is not understood by a man who is not rational, and for several reasons, the chief of which is that he has no desire to understand it because it is opposed to the falsities that he has made his truths; and he that is unwilling to understand for this reason has closed to his rational faculty the way to heaven, although that way can still be opened whenever the will's resistance ceases (see above, n. 424). That man is able to understand truths and be rational whenever he so wishes has been made clear to me by much experience. Evil spirits that have become irrational in the world by rejecting the Divine and the truths of the church, and confirming themselves against them, have frequently been turned by Divine power towards those who were in the light of truth, and they then comprehended all things as the angels did, and acknowledged them to be true, and also that they comprehended them all. But the moment these spirits relapsed into themselves, and turned back to the love of their will, they had no comprehension of truths and affirmed the opposite. [2] I have also heard certain dwellers in hell saying that they knew and perceived that which they did to be evil and that which they thought to be false; but that they were unable to resist the delight of their love, that is, their will, and that it is their will that drives their thought to see evil as good and falsity as truth. Evidently, then, those that are in falsity from evil have the ability to understand and be rational, but have no wish to; and they have no wish to for the reason that they have loved falsities more than truths, because these agree with the evils in which they are."

So, I would imagine that the vast majority of average people keep their mental faculties intact enough to see loved ones and not become stuck in the earth plane - unless they embraced such values as embraced evil and destructive tendencies.

Matthew

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:29am

Don,

"A level inhabited by those who have recently left physical existence but who either have not been able to recognize and accept this or are unable to free themselves from the ties to the Earth Life Sustem.  It includes those from all periods of time ("Ultimate Journey"  240)."

>> Any normal human with the equivalent of his earthly brain should be able to recognize in just a few minutes after death that he is neither dreaming nor still in physical reality.  The failure of so many to recognize their own death indicates a radically diminished mental capacity. <<

From my experience what you are saying is no different than saying that any normal human . . . should be able to recognize in just a few minutes after falling asleep and starting to dream that he is dreaming.  The experience of those "souls trapped in Focus 23" is exactly the same as someone who is asleep and dreaming but unaware of that fact.  While you could call it the result of "diminished capacity" it is exactly the same experience for the "trapped soul" as a physically alive person being asleep and dreaming.  All it takes to escape "this widespread condition" is for that "trapped" person to realize that they are dreaming.  For some "trapped souls" this condition may persist for a very long time indeed.  So "how and for whom it might be reversible"?

From my experience I'd say it is reversible for every person who is "trapped."  It is usually reversed in one of three ways:

1.  Much as is often the case with triggering events that cause the shift from ordinary dreaming to lucid dreaming, some incongruity within that person's experience causes them to question whether or not they are "awake" or "dreaming."  Questioning the reality of their situation can cause the deceased person to become more lucid, realize they've died, and escape their "entrapment."

2.  A nonphysical Helper manages to make their presence known to the "trapped person" and that Helper guides them out of their entrapment.

3.  A physically living Helper like you or me takes on the role of the Helper and either assists another Helper in the guiding process or does it ourself.

Number 3 is why I teach the Art of Retrieval.  We can be involved in ending the deceased person's entrapment by taking part in the process of retrieval.  In Ultimate Journey Monroe describes this process and the Lifeline program he and others at The Monroe Institute developed to teach retrieval.

>>   I can even argue with my dream characters that I am God in this dream universe and that they are mere figments of my imagination.  But I am never sufficiently lucid to control the reactions of my dream people.<<

An alternate possibility might be that the reason you can't control your "dream people" is that they are not "mere figments" of your imagination.  What if they are real people whose existence if independent of yours?  Maybe no matter how lucid you become you won't be able to control these people because their actions are under their own control?

Bruce

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:38pm

In the physical World we have our belief systems and we have our physical sense organs.  This enables us to maintain contact with each other even when we have differing belief systems.

In the spirit World we don't have sense organs and rely on our minds to make contact with others. Therefore, our belief systems play a much bigger role in keeping us seperated from others.

In the physical World the circumstances of our lives determine where our bodies are located.

In the spirit World the state of our mind determines where we are located.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:42pm

#3 also describes the work of Rev Vincent during WWII when he helped soldiers killed on the battlefield to find their way to the light.  As he explained in his book written in the 1940s, the vibrations of a physically alive person made it easier for the soldiers to perceive his presence.  I would guess that sooner or later a Helper would have done the same thing given the number of casualties vs. the number of trained retrievers. 

A larger question is raised by Don-  "What part of mental functioning do various categories of the newly dead at least initially lose (memories, intellectual astuteness, critical thinking, spiritual perception, etc.)?"

I remember the movie Three Faces of Eve, a true story about a schizophrenic.  She had 3 separate, unique and very distinct personalities.  These personalities had no conscious recognition of the existence of the others.  I wonder, when she died, which personality emerged?  All of them?  Or maybe none.  Maybe her spiritual identity absorbed all of the experiences of the 3 earthly personalities?

I don't recall any of Bruce's books discussing the whole question of identity (or in any other materials come to think of it).  Any ideas on this? 

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:21pm

Regarding what Rondelle asked:

I would think that the predominant personality takes over. Or perhaps they'll fluctuate just as they did while a person was in the physical.

I don't believe everybody gets stuck. I would guess that most people don't. Consider all the near death experiences where people go to the light or meet a being of light, even when their lives haven't been positive. This matches up with how I was able to experience heaven one night even though I was an atheist at the time. I was still a loving person. Perhaps this is what made the difference for me.

When it comes to a person like Danion Brinkley who was able to make contact with a light being during his NDE even though he wasn't a positive person at the time, perhaps he didn't have a predominant belief system that caused him to be overly influenced. Perhaps some people get bogged down because they have a belief system or a pattern of thought that influences them so strongly they lose the ability to think consciously and make choices.

Perhaps this is what happened to the man who killed all those people at Virginia Tech yesterday. Negative thought patterns got the best of him and he stopped making use of his conscious mind. It is hard to imagine one could do what he did, if one was making use of one's ability to think consciously. 

rondele wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:42pm:
I remember the movie Three Faces of Eve, a true story about a schizophrenic.  She had 3 separate, unique and very distinct personalities.  These personalities had no conscious recognition of the existence of the others.  I wonder, when she died, which personality emerged?  All of them?  Or maybe none.  Maybe her spiritual identity absorbed all of the experiences of the 3 earthly personalities?

I don't recall any of Bruce's books discussing the whole question of identity (or in any other materials come to think of it).  Any ideas on this?  

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:09pm

Rondele said:
'I remember the movie Three Faces of Eve, a true story about a schizophrenic.  She had 3 separate, unique and very distinct personalities. '

Aren't the 'split' personalities of a schizophrenic all aspects of one person that the therapist then tries to reunite?  So as Eve moved into the afterlife, her total self would go, or the parts that were too frantic etc might require a partial retrieval. But there would still be the core who is the true Eve. Maybe for dramatic effect and 'tension', the author didn't show Eve reunified.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:35pm

There is a qualitative and quantitative change in the mode of awareness and processing as one abandons the usual experiences of reality and goes into either deep meditation, a hallucinatory drug experience (or intoxication at that general level), or the state of dreaming, or psychosis, and evidently, death. 

We normally operate with what is termed "Secondary Process", which includes the ability to handle multiple threads of abstraction, and to deal with similes, resting in a static posture from which to view them. Relative goodness of options is judged from behavioral reinforcers.

When the physical mechanisms the maintain these multiple operations are gone, we are left with only a dynamic system. That system operates on associative functioning only. This is called Primary Process. The good and bad values we had previously become absolutes, black and white, much as a child reasons.

Primary Process objects, actions and experiences are evaluated against the contents of memory which is intact. Memory remains intact because memory is the basis for the dynamic state we exhibit as we attempt to cope. There is no option for stasis, as this would negate the operation of the life force which is, of itself, dynamic. (Maybe this is where Werner von Heisenberg got the idea for the uncertainty principle, in the sense of the instant of reality existing half a Planck bit in the past and half a bit into the future. Hence vacuum energy etc.) Just as the world is necessarily dynamic, we too must be.

As a dynamic operation in which our reality is held in memory, the sum of all experiences up to the point, we operate by associative logic. That which carries similar attribution to something else is equal to it. In this way the schizophrenic sees a typewriter and identifies it as equal to all prior experiences of typewriters.

In this state, a person whose beliefs do not allow forward motion without an association that includes some form of logical self negation (eg. a murderer) will attempt to "tread water" by retaining an attachment to the outside world as an anchor.  This offsets existential dread. To abandon that grip would require an existential negation of some part of the personality.  Hence people get stuck. Bruce's notes on their release are precisely to this point, and his methods offer an alternative association that was not previously accessible, thus allowing motion to a new viewpoint in which associations lead to a better future and bypass existential destruction.

In past life therapy or work with entities we use the same methods as Bruce just stated, the difference being that we use slightly different methods to access the problem states.

All mental health issues seem to arise because of conflicts on a Primary Process level that cannot be resolved through rational thinking because they are "emotional" in nature. Emotions are the dynamic operators of Primary Process. This is the reason that we can't "talk them out of it" when someone is psychotic.

There is remarkably little information about Primary Process because most people talk about what other people said when they talked about what other people say about it etc. However, this is the state in which we enter meditation, and meditators who carefully examine their functions will be able to observe how it works. Unfortunately, we tend to cling to Secondary Process in the same waywe cling to anything familiar, because we don;t understand the alternatives. To understand them requires becoming to that degree insane, dead or whatever. Given this caveat, meditators can filter out secondary phenomena and notice the manner in which their inner functions take on an "absolute" associative quality.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:43am

Thanks Don!  I don't want to get too far off topic but could you explain the meanings of soul and spirit in the old and new testaments?

Good posts from everyone.  I need to read them more carefully.  Dave mentions association and Albert mentions mind and belief.  I only have time for a quick comment.

We use our energy field to sense the world around us in the physical.  At least the consciousness of the higher spiritual levels remain after death, the lower ones disappear.  What happens to the consciousness of the lower levels?  Do we continue to use our energy field to sense the afterlife?  Or is it mind only?

Sorry gotta run out the door.

K

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 1:42pm

Hi Lights-
I suggest Don can do better with "soul" and "spirit" etc in the Old Testament.

The New Age interpretation often equates soul with the collection of traits that define someone, and spirit with the dynamics that are observed in the behavior of the soul. (This is from Cayce.)

In both this and the afterlife, energy fields can be cited as effective, although it's an oblique reference.

Energy is a derivative concept related to the ability to cause change. It analyzes into force times the range over which the force is effective. (Force in the abstract is the probability for the occurrence of something, usually within a context of other probabilities and tendencies. For distance, think "amount of dimensional change" where "dimension" means any measurable or sensible attribute.) Force causes acceleration attached to some part of our definition by which this dimension is altered. In the physical, that means that some part of our sensory system is accelerated (like wiggling the little hairs in the semicircular canal for music) and we perceive a sensation.

In the abstract, such as when we are not "extended" as an embodiment, a change in energy means that some part of the definition of our state is altered. (A Bell Labs engineer, Claude Shannon, used thermodynamic theory to demonstrate that information change, or change in entropy, is equivalent to physical change.) We sense the change with respect to our present definitions, and especially with respect to those definitions of state that we wish to retain, such as "I am lovable," or "I am one with God," or the most major issue, "I exist".

With a body we use changes in the body as the receptors. Without a body (or when thinking in Primary Process mode) we use changes in definition of self-state as the receptor system. The "embodiment" of self in the abstract is derived from the collection of states of other stuff in context, since our proper embodiment is lacking. So long as we are in accord with those states, we can extract our own definition from them by attaching to those portions of contextual states that support our definition of self-state.

Life is a dynamic, we exist in the crack between yesterday and tomorrow, which is the nebulous moment of "Now". Thus we are perpetually driven forward. When we can find no available place to move our identification that agrees with our self-state definition, we lose the parts of our definition that are incompatible.

One way out for those of us who are highly discordant with the natural world is to cling to phenomena of the material world we knew, hence we have earthbound spirits in existential crisis.  We also can cling to cycles of definition, and become "stuck". Or we can cling to another person's psyche, and become "entities".

The other way out is to come into global accord with everything, which means that we can go anywhere in creation, and we merge into the general nature of God.

Consciousness through this process remains as a Primary Process phenomenon, in which we move our identity from one "place" to the next, where "place" means subset of universal attributes. We are defined much as we are in dreams, by emotional tendencies, attachments and associations - so we still "think", but in limited and fundamental terms only.

(It's actually possible to express this in symbolic terms as a proof.)

Hope that is more clarifying than obscuring-
dave

IP Logged

DaBears

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 3:16pm

recoverer wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:21pm:
Regarding what Rondelle asked:

I would think that the predominant personality takes over. Or perhaps they'll fluctuate just as they did while a person was in the physical.

I don't believe everybody gets stuck. I would guess that most people don't. Consider all the near death experiences where people go to the light or meet a being of light, even when their lives haven't been positive. This matches up with how I was able to experience heaven one night even though I was an atheist at the time. I was still a loving person. Perhaps this is what made the difference for me.

When it comes to a person like Danion Brinkley who was able to make contact with a light being during his NDE even though he wasn't a positive person at the time, perhaps he didn't have a predominant belief system that caused him to be overly influenced. Perhaps some people get bogged down because they have a belief system or a pattern of thought that influences them so strongly they lose the ability to think consciously and make choices.

Perhaps this is what happened to the man who killed all those people at Virginia Tech yesterday. Negative thought patterns got the best of him and he stopped making use of his conscious mind. It is hard to imagine one could do what he did, if one was making use of one's ability to think consciously.  

rondele wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:42pm:
I remember the movie Three Faces of Eve, a true story about a schizophrenic.  She had 3 separate, unique and very distinct personalities.  These personalities had no conscious recognition of the existence of the others.  I wonder, when she died, which personality emerged?  All of them?  Or maybe none.  Maybe her spiritual identity absorbed all of the experiences of the 3 earthly personalities?

I don't recall any of Bruce's books discussing the whole question of identity (or in any other materials come to think of it).  Any ideas on this?  

Great post recoverer!! I'd like to say alittle more though.. Yes, people who have strong religious concepts of heaven/hell will have quite a difficult experience with getting beyond their illusions of what happens after death..

People there really is no hell.. God never created it.. Man has created hell with mans' own free will..

I got this from a great site.. About heaven and hell.. Read it below please..

Most religions preach about heaven and hell, and how those who either do or do not believe in one thing or another will inevitably end up in one of these two places. What are hell and heaven? Are they real? Where are they? And who gets to go where? Christianized hell is portrayed as such a real and frightening place filled with monsters and Satan, where one is punished for their sins and suffers eternally. There is no way out. Oh, you know the pictures that have been painted by Dali and other artists depicting the burning pit where those not worthy of being recognized or loved by God are tossed, abandoned and tortured. Damned for eternity.
Heaven, on the other hand, is supposed to be eternal bliss. And only the very worthy end up in heaven, and are showered with flowers, angelic music, and peace. Beauty is all one's sees in heaven. With the stringent demands made on humans to be everything but human, (never mind seeing human as divine) while being constantly reminded that they are sinful and unworthy of heaven, heaven must be very under-populated. In fact, with all those rules to be met, I can't imagine one person being successfully led through those pearly gates! Can you? (No, not even Mother Theresa - she believed that she was less than divine, herself.)

Hell and heaven are very dramatically presented, aren't they? But do we even know what these words mean? Could it be we have all been fed non-sequiturs for centuries to the point where we no longer remember what these words really mean, therefore we live in constant confusion (like the Tower of Babel) because we don't properly use our language? Wow - just imagine what that does to our communcations on all levels with one another!

Hell: Prepare yourselves for a possible shock: The word 'hel' means 'light.' It also means 'earth.' Check your Germanic dictionaries if you don't believe me. In fact, check many languages and find the meaning of the word 'hell.' Some will say it means 'cover.' If hell is such a negative place, then why do we refer to the sun, who gives us life, warmth and nurtures us, as 'helios?" Perhaps the thought of diving into the sun would be hell, itself. Maybe that's how it all originated? But, realistically, you wouldn't even make it that close without first disintegrating. Ah, but then you'd become pure energy, pure light, just like the sun, itself! Your real essence, in other words. Why, we even used to worship* gods representing the sun's energy - Ra, Apollo, for example. So, why would it be something to be feared and avoided, at all costs?

A 'demon in hell' can also be called a 'genius in the light.' Demon, or daemon, has conflicting meanings. It can mean our inner genius, divinity or genie. It is a word sharing the same root thing as 'diamond!' Some dictionaries say demons are inferior divinity or evil spirits. How can they be both? Both divine, genius and evil? Think about it. Do they not cancel one another out? Or, can we put all under one divine umbrella? What definitions have you been taught?

The horns on the devil are also used to depict great divine light emanating through the individual. Same thing was shown with Hathor, Moses, White Buffalo Woman. It is a positive symbol of higher consciousness and knowledge, not evil.

Devil comes from the Sanskrit world meaning 'deva,' which relates to the good angels of the Hindu pantheon. Were you taught that Satan means adversary or plotter? 'Adverse' meaning 'to turn towards?' After Zoroaster and the Persians conquered Hindu territory the conquerers miraculously transformed the Hindu gods into devils! So, the Hindu devas became the Persians devils.

If we look at the pattern of religious manipulation through language, the word "daemon" was changed into having a evil implication. "It was just more Christian propaganda used to brainwash the followers of the Greek and Roman religions into rejecting their old gods in favor of the newly created Christian character," as one scholar explains. This old ploy cunningly used good timing to coincide with the burning of millions of books; books which had they not been burned would have allowed people to see the truth of how they were being lied to. And the word 'evil' probably comes from the same root as the word 'apple,' which is 'upfel.' Who decided that apples were evil? The apple itself isn't evil.

Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky explains that Judaism talks of "Satan/devil," but it sees Satan as "...an agent of God, testing the sincerity of man's deeds, the strength of his convictions, and the stamina of his moral fiber. Although this so-called devil seems to entice man to do wrong, he is not inherently an evil being. Rather, he is conducting a "sting" operation; overtly enticing to bad, but in reality working for God. A cursory reading of the beginning of Job conveys that message: God sends out Satan to test Job's righteousness. Just as a dentist or doctor tests the firmness of a bone or flesh by probing it, just as the army tests the integrity and trustworthiness of its intelligence agents by tempting them, so too does God test man. A test reveals the inner worthiness of a person's deeds, demonstrating what they are really made of."

Heaven: Could this word come from 'heave' - meaning to toss, lift or raise? Those lofty ideas. No doubt it does. And what about 'heavy,' meaning 'weighty.' This can get to be lots of fun, eh? 'Ven' means 'air.' 'Ven' can also be 'van,' which means 'sail,' 'wing,' 'basket,' and it can be a shovel used in testing ore; and of course, it now means a type of large vehicle capable of transporting many people. The more accurate root of "heaven" comes from "haven." The word "heaven" also has its roots in Hebrew in "ha'shamayim," which means "the skies," " high places." Maybe you can come up with some other meanings for it. See the conflicts over and over in modern language?

Worship...another interesting word. "Wor" means literally "war," or "where," and "ship" meaning a "state" or "condition." The word religion is interesting, too. "Re" means "back," or "again," or even "in reference to." "Legion" is "a body of infantry in the ancient Roman army"; or "vast host." Re-legion. Armies of God in a war ship? Is religion about war? Or hosts of God?

Now that the brief etymology portion is over, let's get into the other areas of what these words have come to mean to a great many people in the religious and social sense. In fact, they have come to dictate and control much of our beliefs and lives.

Both heaven and hell are places, dimensions, and overlapping dimensions, created with those of like mind and emotions - thoughts and feelings so intense that it creates a vortex of bioelectomagnetic energy so concentrated that it densifies and materializes. This material form can be ectoplasmic or physical. It takes on the form of the creator's beliefs. This form resonates with like energies, drawing them to one another. (Like attracts like.) This, then, creates a larger vortex of the same energy. And it keeps growing and building and desiring it's life to be continually fed. This, then, becomes a real gathering place.

Hell, as that place of suffering and damnation, stems from a belief that becomes real through the energy we give it by our feelings of being anything less than holy or divine, directly related to guilt, shame, anger, pain, separation, sadness, blame, martyrdom, need for punishment, victimhood, fear. Ironically, the fear of being in what people believe to be hell may actually create that kind of hell, itself.

In the case of hell, the only way these energies can be nourished is by having more of the same energy filling it up, adding more fuel to the fire. In order to stay alive it seeks out its food in many ways. Finding a weakness, such as addiction or anger within a person to attach itself to is one way: Attaching to the little bit of belief in that individual it can use for its own survival. And it can also be utilized by people as in the practice of voodoo to get a life force that can be manipulated and directed. You see, the life force, the energy, never dies. It changes form, and its form can be intentionally changed. These energies will seek out others and build on itself unless we become conscious of them and choose to release them through other avenues.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 4:18pm

Going back to Dave's comment,

Dave, how does Primary Process relate to the more generic meaning of  'soul'?
Would someone outside your field see them as same or similiar? Are you saying that in the afterlife we can expect primary process to take over?

Do the emotions that are generated from primary process come from conflicts when love is shortchanged, and primary process then reacts to this lack? Much as soul might measure events by how much love is involved?

I realize that in your field you probably cannot define soul, but you're among friends here, Dave.  Smiley Wink  Can you speak alittle more 'afterlifische' and keep all your content too?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 8:40pm

Hi Bets-
Afterlife-ish? - Actually, the part of psychology in which I specialize is primary process phenomena in pathology and creativity.  I've known several people who would cheerfully have made me more afterlife-ish but I escaped.

Primary process is the operational description for emotional thinking.  It's difficult for me to express verbally because I always use symbols working at home. I'll try to condense.

Very generally, we have a self-definition that includes whatever we feel important, including our existence. To continue being ourselves, we must maintain those attributes by which we define ourselves. Thus, going from moment to moment, we must find a reality in which our self definition is supported.

Attitude is the tendency, or inclination, to make a certain kind of choice given a certain stimulating event. We adopt an attitude that presumably guides us through reality frames (instants of experience) that keep us defined. Emotion is the pressure toward that attitude, so that eg. rage inclines us to batter our adversary, fear inclines us to flee, and so on.

Without a body, our definition is the sum of all the relationships associated with being who we were in the past. Thus, without a body, we are just history, plus a dynamic tendency for interaction. Emotion arises as the logical projection of our history, and manifests as the dynamic. Were the available realityinto which to next move our existence to not support all of our definitions, then those fall off. This is sensed as some kind of suffering.

Within the range of our experiences carried in our history, which is the entropic definition of the soul, more or less in Edgar Cayce's terms, we can move about, and thus we can "think" to some degree. This is how a meditator "thinks" while in deep trance. But this is absolute, black and white, dichotomous thinking that either fits us into some future option, or does not. Thinking in this sense, is an emotional activity, in that it carries our entire attitude toward life, the universe, and everything.*  With this kind of thinking, we more or less "live the thought", as opposed to abstract thought and rational knowing. Thus, the thought is, of itself, also the motivating factors normally sensed when we have an "emotional experience".

The reason that we "live the thought" in primary processing is that the mechanism by which it is handled is our collection of attributive relationships with the world, so that these are altered as we alter our attitudes. In this way, the physical body is involved in emotions when we have one, and when we don't, our definition as an historically supported event is altered.

Were we to be able to exist as a static structure, matters might be different, but our existence is in the dynamic between instants of external definition. Thus, as we "live the thought" we also alter attitudes and the choices made. The options for participation in some of the other available future states are more likely in some cases, less so in others. But we are forced, willy nilly, to participate, because only in the dynamic do we exist. (Tha's why Freud said that we have two dynamic goals - total pleasure in our actions, "eros", like Juditha having sex with a succubus, or we can gravitate toward placidity and minimal effort, "thanatos", the state that Chumley seems to be seeking, so that he doesn't get drafted into some unspeakable spirituality.)

There is a specific kind of logic associated with emotional "thinking" which is most conveniently reduced to three interdefinitive aspects (as compared to the everyday world in which the relationships of the parts are rarely important). These three aspects are process, relationals, and substantives, They are the same as in quantum analysis of events.

Egyptian lore (eg. Papyrus of Ani) emphasized the necessity for the dead soul to be at peace with all three of these aspects, and with their seven logical products, and their 127 logical products as well, where is why there is a "negative confession" in Maati of 42 traits that would be destructive. (42 actve traits, 84 relational and substantive traits ignored, plus being Osiris, gives 127. - The same theme is echoed inside tombs where we often see it as 127 serpents.)

This is a lousy description because it's abstract, while the topic is any but abstract. I suggest that to "get the feeling" you imagine placing yourself in various states of existence in the world, noticing the physical and emotional changes that are implied. Tibetans seem to use this type of "thinking" to accomplish all manner of worldly tasks while in unbroken meditation. All that is needed is to be "in accord" with everything around us, so that everything serves. I think Catholics call this a "state of grace.

* that's 42 according to the Hitchhiker's Guide:-)

Hope this is useful-
dave

IP Logged

Rob Calkins

Denver
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Wow, Dave!  I feel like a freshman that just stepped into a post-grad class.  I know I want to take the course, but I sure hope you’ll bear with me while I try to formulate a question.

A dynamic system implies to me that change is the primary element as opposed to any static state.  Without a body, awareness of changes in self-state is the means by which we our identity.  Then, history plus change or interaction sort of becomes our mode of operation.  If I haven’t garbled it too much, then any primary process action would subsequently result in a newly created history that reflects that new action or change?  If this is correct, wouldn’t there be some significant degree of autonomy beyond either getting stuck or clinging to another psyche?  Perhaps I don’t understand what you meant by “cling to another psyche”.

Your discussion of primary process was an eye opener.  And 42 is a nice summary.   Many thanks.

Rob

IP Logged

ricktimet

ohio, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 1:57pm

berserk,

The true man is the soul, comprised of matter, very fine matter, and, formed out of etheric energy. At the physical term called death, the spirit, made from the same energy, that the soul is in cased in, both leave the physical body with all if its Earthly mental functions, memories, emotions, feelings, and the ego.

The brain is merely a biological organ, that the soul transmits electric pluses to the brain, to allow stimulation, and for the thought process to exist, along with triggering nerve pulses to animate the muscles and the body, and it's various fuctions to experience this physical enviorment..

The purpose of the spirit body, is to create indviduality of the soul, as it grows within the body, to create the duplicate you in spirit form. This idenity, and your soul energy is what separates you from others in the spirit world, this is your spiritual signature.

Once we all leave this physical existance, by way of the endless ways we all exit this world into the next, along with our beliefs, determines our place in the spirit world. Although not a permanent condition, we all come to light eventually.

Those that have near death experiences, are not the same as true death, and are having an sprirtual experience, and of created illusion by the brain being forced to evaluate two worlds at once, thus experiences everything by way of their beliefs.
This wher they encounter highly evloved spirit; the being of light, that knows them completely, and explains to them there weaknesses, and stengths.

This where they see their life for what it really is, and what it means, or doesn't mean to all those that they are conected to. The only thing a near death experience is used for, is to reaffirm ones life plan, and to get them back on track. There are no coincidences, these indviduals have these experiences for this very reason.

Dimensionally Yours,
Rick

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.