Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
What People Lose at Death (Read 52207 times)
Berserk

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: What People Lose at Death
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 4:28pm

Before discussing Howell Vincent's retrieval insights, I will present this consensus of Classical Channeling, Swedenborg {ES], and some NDEs and OBEs as to what is permanently or temporarily "lost" during postmortem transitions.  Somne of this material is reposted from my ADC memory thread.

CLASSICAL CHANNELING: WHAT IS LOST IN THE TRANSITION FROM THE SUMMERLAND [FOCUS 24-26] TO THE FIRST HEAVEN?

“The usual picture of life after death as a passage from one sphere to another, each more refined than the preceding one [is inaccurate]....It is more accurate to think of the process of passing through a mumber of layers of consciousness, and of man as not yet fully aware of himself as a many-levelled being, and who at these early stages is much less than his full self (Paul Beard, "Living On."
108).”

“...The former consciousness will gradually melt away as irrelevant.  This is an aspect of the putting away of childish things of which St. Paul  speaks.  To a certain degree the traveler can move up and down within these layers of consciousness.  As he progresses, more and more of his attention rests in his more refined levels.  But a part of him may still belong to a lower level of
himself which he may not yet have shaken off (Paul Beard, 110)."

WHAT IS LOST IN THE TRANSITION FROM THE FIRST TO THE SECOND HEAVEN?

“Now he has to get ready to shed a large part of this more familiar self....The traveller must face the...demise of the personal self, because it is becoming no longer tenable to live within its limitations...What is meant by the `personal self?’  It is the sum of all the person’s memories of the experiences, thoughts, and feelings which made up his sense of himself...during his past life on
earth...It is a kind of oblivion, but a conscious oblivion...The man leaves his desire body.  He is perfectly conscious.  He passes into a great stillness...He cannot think.  No faculty is alive, yet  he knows that he is...and his soul is filled with a wonderful peace (Paul Beard, 123, 130-31).”

Independent corroboration from Swedenborg’s astral trevels challenges the assumption that discarnate spirits have access to their full earth memory in higher planes. The  reader must ask himself how ADCs and channeling from these planes remains possible in light of this problem.  Certainly these troubling insights shed light on why our deceased loved ones so rarely contact us
in an impressively paranormal and verifiable way.   I am not trying to discredit ADCs.  But integrity requires us to come to terms with evidence that contradicts our preferred astral explorers and their comforting insights.   We must come to terms with the incoherence of the overall evidence from astral exploration and seek a fresh synthesis.   Here is a sampling os some ES quotes about the status of memory in “the World of Spirits,” a realm “below” the Heavens:

“We have two memories, an inner and an outer, or a natural one and a spiritual one. We are not aware that we have this inner memory.  How much better the inner memory is than the outer one!  The contents of our outer memory are in the world’s light, while the contents of our inner memory are in heaven’s light.  It is because of our inner memory that we can think and talk intelligently and rationally.  Absolutely everything we have thought, said, done, seen, and heard is inscribed on our inner memory....Things that have become second nature to us and part of our life and therefore have been erased from our outer memory are in our inner memory (HH #463, note b)."

After death, adult memory “stays fixed and then goes dormant; but it still serves their thinking after death as an outmost plane because their thought flows into it.  This is why the nature of this plane and the way their rational activity answers to its contents determines the nature of the individual after death (HH #345)."

".All that remain are the rational abilities that now serve as a basis for thinking and talking.   We actually take with us our entire natural memory, but its contents are not open to our inspection and do not enter into our thought as when we were living in this world...To the extent that our spirit has become rational by means of our insights and learning in this world, we are rational after
our departure from the body (HH #355).”

“The reason our outer memory goes dormant as far as material things are concerned is that they cannot be recreated.  Spirits and angels [= discarnate people] actually talk from the affections and consequent thoughts of their minds, so they cannot utter anything that does not square with these...I have talked with any number of people who were regarded as learned in the world
because of their knowledge of such ancient languages as Hebrew and Greek and Latin, but had not developed their rational functioning by means of the things that were written in thos  languages. Some of them seemed as simple as people who did not know anything about those languages; some of them seemed dense, though there still remained a pride as though they were
wiser than other people (HH #464).”

“I have also talked with some people who had believed in the world that wisdom depends on how much we have in our memory and who have therefore filled their memories to bursting.  They talked almost exclusively from those items, which meant that they were not talking for themselves, but for others; and they had not developed any rational functioning by means of these
matters of memory.   Some of them were dense, some silly, with no grasp of truth whatever (HH #464).”

“Our rational faculty is like a garden or flower bed, like newly tilled land.  Our memory is the soil, information and experiential learning are the seeds, while heaven’s light and warmth make them productive...There is no germination unless heaven’s light, which is divine truth, and heaven’s warmth, which is divine love, are let in.  They are the only source of rationality (HH #464).”   

“One particular spirit lamented the fact that he could not remember much of what he had known during his physical life.  He was grieving over the pleasure he had lost because it had been his chief delight.  He was told, though, that he had not lost anything at all and that he knew absolutely everything.  In the world where he was now living, he was not allowed to retrieve things like that.
It should satisfy him that he could now think and talk much better and more perfectly without immersing his rational functioning in dense clouds, in material and physical concerns, the way he had before, in concerns that were useless in the kingdom he had now reached (HH #465).”

“Since the natural objects that reside in our memory cannot be reproduced in a spiritual world, they become dormant the way they do when we are not thinking about them.  Even so, they can be reproduced when it so pleases the Lord (HH #461).” 

Consider, then, how George Ritchie's NDE and ES's astral insights challenge common New Age perspectives about the ease of contacting our deceased loved ones in higher planes and finding them with their earth memories intact.  Christ takes Ritchie on a tour of an astral educational plane below Heaven:

“WHATEVER ELSE THESE PEOPLE MIGHT BE, THEY APPEARED UTTERLY AND
SUPREMELY SELF-FORGETFUL--ABSORBED IN SOME VAST PURPOSE BEYOND
THEMSELVES.  Through open doors I glimpsed enormous rooms filled with complex equipment.  In several of the rooms hooded figures bent over intricate charts and diagrams, or sat at the controls of elaborate consoles flickering with lights....I felt that some vast experiment was being pursued, perhaps dozens and dozens of such experiments [69-70] .”

Ritche's NDE description seems incompatible with the chatty ease with which mediums interrupt the lives of discarnates and seek confirmation from their memories of their earthly lives.  His description hints at the insight thst the inhabitants of this educational plane have an altered state of consciousness that cuts them off from their normal earthly memories.  His reports cohere nicely
with Robert Bruce’s OBE insights into memory problems created by shifts in focus from one astral plane to another. 

In "Astral Dynamics." OBE adept, Robert Bruce, claims to have discovered a reason for this  troublesome memory loss:

“When present, the base level.. replaces any higher levels of consciousness and overwrites any memories gained independently by those levels of consciousness on higher planes.  ..The higher level memories still exist after the event, but they are driven into inaccessible levels of the subconsicious mind and memory.  The overall effect is that a projection continues from that moment on as if it had just started.  ...The lowest level of consciousness always replaces and overwrites any higher level of consciusness and effectively wipes out all trace of its memories at the moment of reintegration (75).”.

‘Memories from higher levels of consciousness may not even be in sync with what the physical brain is capable of recognizing and storing as viable memories. ...The only parts of high-level experiences that are storable as recallable memories are those parts the physical brain is capable of recognizng and converting inot base-level format...The above factor accounts for the...symbols, images, and feelings that are sometimes remembered after high-lveel OBEsand dreams, instead of more recognziable OBE and dream memories.  This, if true, goes a long way toward explaining the...metaphorical nature of prophetic OBEs, visions, and dreams, and why these areso difficult to
understand and interpret (77).”

This theory fits well with Robert’s observations about the memory problems of discarnate spirits who "descend” to the Healing Center to be with their loved ones.  In my view the need for such a “descent” already implies the imadequacy of the implied Monroe reduction of “Heaven” to Focus
27.  On the other hand, these descending spirits must have some ongoing memory contact with their loved ones on Earth.  Otherwise, why would the former be prompted to descend for a visit?   And how elsde do they discover the new arrival of their loved ones to the Healing Center?   Robert’s OBE observations about spirits descending to the Healing Center seem most significant.  He reports:

“Many of the people/ spirits I have met there seem to be quite real.  All are visiting or waiting for a patient in the hospital...Spirits I have spoken to in this situation do not seem to be aware of the length of time that has elapsed since they passed over, or of many details concerning the afterlife since that  time. MEMORIES OF THEIR EARTHLY LIFE ALSO SEEM VAGUE, MUCH LIKE HOW A HALF-FORGOTTEN DREAM IS REMEMBERED  BY A LIVING PERSON."

“Many spirits only seem to be aware of their present reality, that of being in only the hospital scenario for an indeterminate length of  time.  Some spirits, however, do have vague memories of their earthly life, and of coming from other dimensional areas; but have so far given only very sketchy details.  Often they will speak of a warm, brightly-lit, interesting place where they have
many friends and loved ones, but with little more details than this.  The most common response I get from asking spirits what it’s like where they come from is: `It’s really lovely there and everyone is so nice.  I don’t understand this.  I’m very sorry.  I know it well and can picture it in my head, but I just can’t describe it to you.’”

Evidently, descending spirits encounter the same memory problems that earthly astral explorers do upon returning from higher astral planes.   So here is my queston for readers?  Are not these memory problems inconsistent with ADCs from higher planes and especially with the chatty ease mediums have in channeling deceased loved ones on demand from higher planes?   Perhaps, we
need a mew model for understanding ADC and channled contacts.  Perhaps, the mmories of discarnatel loved ones can be tapped and experienced as direct communication, when in fact these loved ones are unaware of the contact.   

Don

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 6:03pm

Don,

Your suppositions are based upon the astral experiences of Ritchie and Robert Bruce in specific.  Swedenborg, however, leaves the door open for full memory of earthly events "when it so pleases the lord."  Let us say, for a moment that Bruce or Ritchie's ability to communicate with the deceased spirits was somehow affected by their own belief system or astral connection.  Perhaps then, their reports of memory loss are specific to their encounters - yet you generalize them to include all spirits (or at least you put forth their experiences as evidence in favor of memory loss in a generalized manner).

I have said in another post that I believe there are two overwhelming or universal concepts which go against the "memory loss hypothesis;" they are: the notions of free will in the universe and that of love being the driving force of heaven.  The bonds which forge our connectedness to our loved ones are quite real to us.  Ultimately, our "inner mind" may not be too concerned with the soap opera of events that occur in our families on planet earth, when we understand a higher love, however the idea that in spirit we would be oblivious to the sufferings of our loved ones rings false to me.  Why then, do loved ones meet us in NDEs, specifically deceased loved ones?  If it were a hallucination, my still-living mother could meet me and give me comforting words of wisdom and love.  Yet it seems, that the chain of love is there - unbroken in the spirit world. 

How would your theory of memory loss explain the memory and learning centers of Focus 27?  Would Focus 27 be experienced only at an early stage of death?  If not, how does the memory loss theory account for Monroe/Moen's learning/memory centers found there?

Swedenborg is a verified explorer.  There are some mediums, such as George Anderson who have had amazing verifications from many different people/sources.  Do Robert Bruce and Ritchie have verifications of their astral experiences?  If not, could there impressions of memory loss be caused by their own filters/beliefs?

While I believe that there are plenty of confused spirits out there, I believe the weight of the evidence from NDE visits with family members, the concept of love as the driving force of heaven, and the issue of free will in choosing to love and remember our families and loved ones, all go against the mandatory memory loss theory. 

Matthew

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Don:

Does this mean if a person dies and tries to share memories with a former beloved grand parent, his or her grand parent won't be able to remember he or she? Would the grand parent ask: "Who in heaven are you? We don't remember nuttin around here? What's this World you keep talking about? What have you been smoking? Smoking? What's smoking? Man I'm losing it. My memory doesn't work like it used to. Used to? What do I mean by used to?"

And this is how it goes in the land of dementia.

Or on the other hand  Wink, perhaps spirits take care of memories in a manner that supports their spiritual development. Their earth based memories are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

You wrote the below about George Ritchie:
'WHATEVER ELSE THESE PEOPLE MIGHT BE, THEY APPEARED UTTERLY AND SUPREMELY SELF-FORGETFUL--ABSORBED IN SOME VAST PURPOSE BEYOND THEMSELVES."

I read George Ritchies's book and didn't get the same impression. "Forgetul" doesn't mean they couldn't remember their former lives as humans. It simply means that they were completely engrossed in their work. People in the physical can do the same thing when they really dedicate themselves to something. Certainly they can remember about the rest of their lives when they change their focus of attention. The fact of how you're using the above statement as a basis for your argument makes me wonder how objective you're being about this issue.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:57pm

Albert,

If discarnate souls retain the same consciousness and sensibilities that they had on earth, they would repeatedly and unmistakably communicate with their earthly loved ones.   Their failure to do so is one of the best arguments AGAINST an afterlife--unless they are prevented from doing so by loss of memory (temporary or permenant), by a limited astral consciousness that prevents such contacts, by a lack of knowledge about how to make such a contact, or by strong spirit teaching that such contact is ill-advised.  Matthew's DOCTRINAL rejection of this problem just begs the question, though I sympathize with his motives.   I don't know what the solution is, but we must acknowledge the importance of this problem and we must not cop out by trivializating the multiple confirmation of postmortem memory loss, whether temporary or permanent.  Such problems certainly call channeled communications into  question and also bring us back to the topic of this thread--what our mind loses or suppresses after death.

Don

IP Logged

DaBears

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 8:21pm

DocM wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 6:03pm:
Don,

Your suppositions are based upon the astral experiences of Ritchie and Robert Bruce in specific.  Swedenborg, however, leaves the door open for full memory of earthly events "when it so pleases the lord."  Let us say, for a moment that Bruce or Ritchie's ability to communicate with the deceased spirits was somehow affected by their own belief system or astral connection.  Perhaps then, their reports of memory loss are specific to their encounters - yet you generalize them to include all spirits (or at least you put forth their experiences as evidence in favor of memory loss in a generalized manner).

I have said in another post that I believe there are two overwhelming or universal concepts which go against the "memory loss hypothesis;" they are: the notions of free will in the universe and that of love being the driving force of heaven.  The bonds which forge our connectedness to our loved ones are quite real to us.  Ultimately, our "inner mind" may not be too concerned with the soap opera of events that occur in our families on planet earth, when we understand a higher love, however the idea that in spirit we would be oblivious to the sufferings of our loved ones rings false to me.  Why then, do loved ones meet us in NDEs, specifically deceased loved ones?  If it were a hallucination, my still-living mother could meet me and give me comforting words of wisdom and love.  Yet it seems, that the chain of love is there - unbroken in the spirit world.  

How would your theory of memory loss explain the memory and learning centers of Focus 27?  Would Focus 27 be experienced only at an early stage of death?  If not, how does the memory loss theory account for Monroe/Moen's learning/memory centers found there?

Swedenborg is a verified explorer.  There are some mediums, such as George Anderson who have had amazing verifications from many different people/sources.  Do Robert Bruce and Ritchie have verifications of their astral experiences?  If not, could there impressions of memory loss be caused by their own filters/beliefs?

While I believe that there are plenty of confused spirits out there, I believe the weight of the evidence from NDE visits with family members, the concept of love as the driving force of heaven, and the issue of free will in choosing to love and remember our families and loved ones, all go against the mandatory memory loss theory.  

Matthew

The memory loss theory is B.S. I agree, with you Matthew..

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 10:22pm

Hi Rob-
The "fine matter" that Rick mentions is sometimes called akasha, which is Sanskrit for what we might call emptiness plus space-time. It's entropy in any case - the late physicist Archibald Wheeler wound up with this general idea in the latter part of his life. 

You're correct Rob, each decision we make redefines us. We are essentially re-created from one event frame to the next. However, the essence of the "creation" is to attach to the set of attributes by which we were defined in the prior moment, and transit to the next event frame as part of the dynamic.

To "stick to another psyche" is the manner in which entities attach to people. They can co-exist with kindred thought patterns, just as we globally co-exist with the dynamic of the universe's patterns of definition by finding patterns with which our definition coincides.

The only reason this seems to bizarre and tricky is that we're used to think of "matter", and in fact there isn't any matter. It's just relationships in a dynamic evolution.

In proof: we have three aspects, Process, Relationals and Substantives.  Anything that seems to stick around, like a pattern of relationals, we term substantive, giving it a material essence that it actually doesn't have.

Snce the world is fully described by these three aspects (as is QM) we have a closed system with three variables, but only two degrees of freedom. We are dynamic, and we know that things relate, so we have Process and Relationals, and the Substantive nature of what we call matter is thus a poor second cousin that gets defined after the fact. QED

You can refer to matter, but the only matter that we can find is that something alters the nature of our relationships when we undergo processes, which can only be identified because it is the set of relationships formed in the prior instant - and it turns the circle again. The best definition of matter is probably "the ashes of burnt out situations". Our history is made of this. We don't need to be "material".

I'm quite certain that lots of people will object to this, and I'm open to being flamed a bit. This is simply the way logic decrees it. To those who really think I'm in error, go there and take a look for yourself at that level, which is one level up from the "primal dyad" in which God (the dynamic) sets off spacetime (the relational).

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:24pm

[Duh Bears:] "The memory loss theory is B.S. I agree, with you Matthew."

It seems like most of yoiur replies are mindless echoes of views that reinforce your prejudices.  The consensus of Swedenborg's astral insights, Classical Channeling, Robert Bruce's OBEs, and some NDEs will not be routed by your dngmatic posturing.   But let's press you to actually frame an orignal thought.
Why are ADCs so rare are the first year of a loved one's passing?  

Don
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007 at 2:56pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 12:48am

Rev. Howell Vincent was both a Presbyterian minister and an astral adept.  His book "Lighted Passage" (1943) was published before the modern New Age movement and is not polluted by New Age jargon and dogma.   The book is not primarily about astral exploration and soul retrievals; it deals with the tragic death of Rea (his daughter) and her new husband Herbert on their honeymoon.  So Howell's is a freshingly original older voice in describing this couple's NDE and their family's asistance in transporting them to Heaven. 

His family's verification of their astral vision is more impressive to me than anything reported on this site, and both Roger (Rondele) and I find their reported soul retrievals more convincing than what can be read here.  For example, just read Howell's description of an astral visit from his ex-wife Nellie before Rea's fatal auto accident:

"On at least two occasions this radiant mother (Nellie) had come to Rea in visible, tangible form and talked with her.  In 1933, I was privileged to be present at one of these heavenly visits by Mother Nellie.  Together with Rea I talked with Nellie, fully recognizing her face and form and voice.  I saw her place he hand on Rea's head in blessing, and I saw her give Rea a flower, a calendula, which we pressed and kept.  At that time three other members of our family were present, including Rea's second mother, Agnes, and they all saw Nellie and talked with her, as Rea and I did.  We were all wide awake and walked about the room with Nellie (p. 25)."

Here is Howell's  intriguing but enigmatic description of the problem of loss of soul during the dying process: 

"During earth life the spirit of man acting upon the brain and body...produces a reaction which we call mind.  the mind builds a mental body in which the mind lives and demonstrates.  If the hour of transition overtakes the spirit of man...without the spirit body being built up in which he can live and pass over and demonstrate in realms of light--then that unprepared spirit must take refuge in the mental body which man's mind has built.  The spirit that has never differentiated itself from its mind may be quite at home and even happy in the mental body.  That mental body, however, is inadequate for the spirit of man to live and to progress in beyond the mental plane.  In it he cannot travel to, or enter, the higher planes of spirit in Heavenly Light.  In it he cannot find his soul or fuse with it (106-107)."

In future posts I will relate this description to the way Howell's family assists Rea and Herbert in their transition to the next life.

Don

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 11:48am

Don,

Berserk wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:57pm:
If discarnate souls retain the same consciousness and sensibilities that they had on earth, they would repeatedly and unmistakably communicate with their earthly loved ones.   Their failure to do so is one of the best arguments AGAINST an afterlife--unless they are prevented from doing so by loss of memory (temporary or permenant), by a limited astral consciousness that prevents such contacts, by a lack of knowledge about how to make such a contact, or by strong spirit teaching that such contact is ill-advised.  

I don't see how the lack of repeated and unmistakable communication from a deceased person to an earthy loved one demonstrates anything that could be described as "one of the best arguments AGAINST an afterlife."  Lack of such communication only demonstrates that one of the two people involved in such communication, the dead person OR the physically living person, is for some reason unable to participate, but, it doesn't "prove" which of the two participants lost the ability.  It could be as simple as something about our existence within physical reality makes it extremely difficult for us to be aware of the deceased person's attempt to communicate.   What could that thing be?

Perhaps someone on the other side of the Afterlife/No Afterlife debate could say:

If incarnate souls retain the same consciousness and sensibilities that they had when they existed in the Afterlife/Prelife, they would repeatedly and unmistakably communicate with their departed loved ones.   Their failure to do so is one of the best arguments AGAINST the possibility of maintaining the same consciousness and sensibilities during incarnation within physical reality --unless they are prevented from doing so by loss of memory (temporary or permenant), by a limited astral consciousness that prevents such contacts, by a lack of knowledge about how to make such a contact, or by strong spirit teaching that such contact is ill-advised.  

Maybe it is we the physically living who have lost something at birth Here?  

Maybe which hypothesis we side with says more about how our own beliefs color and distort the meaning of whatever the evidence might prove?  

Bruce

IP Logged

DaBears

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:06pm

Berserk wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:24pm:
[Duh Bears:] "The memory loss theory is B.S. I agree, with you Matthew."

It seems like most of yoiur replies are mindless echoes of views that reinforce your prejudices.  The consensus of Sweenborg's astral insights, Classical Channeling, Robert Bruce's OBEs, and some NDEs will not be routed by your dngmatic posturing.   But let's press you to actually frame an orignal thought.
Why are ADCs so rare are the first year of a loved one's passing?  

Don

Yeah, I admit I don't know much about this topic.. So what I stated my opinion on what seemed more plausible to my belief.. I just think since our consciousness survives after death we should be able to have our memory still intact of our loved ones and be able to watch over them as well..

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:09pm

Don:

You make it sound like they would have no choice in the manner. If you crossed over would you continually try to make contact with the people you used to know, or would you allow them to live their lives while you continued with your own?

Even when they do try to make contact not everybody is able to communicate with them. I didn't always have the ability. It wasn''t until my energetic system and chakras were developed  that I obtained the ability.  

Does Flushing New York mean anything to you? These words might be a random occurence.

Berserk wrote on Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:57pm:
Albert,

If discarnate souls retain the same consciousness and sensibilities that they had on earth, they would repeatedly and unmistakably communicate with their earthly loved ones.   Their failure to do so is one of the best arguments AGAINST an afterlife--unless they are prevented from doing so by loss of memory (temporary or permenant), by a limited astral consciousness that prevents such contacts, by a lack of knowledge about how to make such a contact, or by strong spirit teaching that such contact is ill-advised.  Matthew's DOCTRINAL rejection of this problem just begs the question, though I sympathize with his motives.   I don't know what the solution is, but we must acknowledge the importance of this problem and we must not cop out by trivializating the multiple confirmation of postmortem memory loss, whether temporary or permanent.  Such problems certainly call channeled communications into  question and also bring us back to the topic of this thread--what our mind loses or suppresses after death.

Don

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 2:38pm

It's always encouraging when Bruce says what I wanted to say but didn't.  Thanks, Bruce.

In regression work we always discover what we seek. This is direct experience, and can be verified by everyone wo does this stuff. That doesn't mean that it isn't the way it seems, but rather that we force the impressions to fit our expectations so that in this way we can make sense of them.

Thus I see my father, dead for decades, just as I expect to see him. It's doubtless him, but his actual nature is not as a lump of ectoplasmic glop floating in front of my retinas. He is actually present in an abstract manner that needs this interpretation to make me perceive him.

Michael Newton's boks all take the attitude that the afterlife is a quasi-physical place in which people go through certain procedures, classes etc. He uses a directive method and finds this true of everyone. In my hundreds of cases, using totally non-directive methods I have only had two or three people (literally) tomention any kind of preparation or decision to return to embodiment.

In Bruce's recounts of stuck souls he locates them in a manner that he can understand and works with them in that context. I have never seen a "Park" or the "Helpers" who work there because I have never looked for them, and they have never been reported to me by others in regression. That's just a matter of where we place our attention. It does not mean that they are unreal. In the same way, I have never encountered Snidely Whiplash in the astral, but I have no doubt that Bruce's recollections are both accurate and valid. I just don't share his mental space. - Or maybe his sense of humor is more active than mine.

I have asked regressed people to describe the "afterlife world" to me, and have received a huge number of plausible but seemingly conflictiing reports. A few people who are Michael Newton fans reported his scenarios, but nobody else did.

To me, that means that we bring to a spiritual encounter the responsive surface of our intellect by which to sense events, and the predisposition of our attitudes  allows us to fit to the spiritual world in only a few limited ways. A specific example: Bruce uses an analogy of a series of "disks" that have linkages that branch to support the afterlife structure. I use an abstract hierarchy of sets wth attributive relationships. It's the same thing, just a different perspective. And perspective means the BST associated with who we are in the world.

There is an unfortunate tendency for us to get involved with intellectual discourses about who said what about the whichness of whether. This is a poor substitute for experience.

There's a story about a monk who wanted to know how many teeth a horse had. So he read Aristotle, Plato, Plutarch and St Thomas Aquinas' writings But the answer wasn't there. So he finally reported to the Abbott that the problem could not be solved. In the same way, we have some brilliant intellectual giants here, banging one author against another. Unfortunately, what we hear is only the sound of books clashing. Standing back a bit, what we can see is two BSTs in conflict, just as we see in the spirit world. You don't have to be dead to be a stuck soul!

To find out the answer, instead of horsing around, I challenge out intellectual giants to go out to the barn and look.

dave

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 2:40pm

Oh yes - I forgot to add, that Bruce' Book Five is available. It tells you how to find the barn.

My copy was even autographed!
Smiley
d

IP Logged

Rob Calkins

Denver
Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 6:22pm

Dave,

I find this exciting.  You’ve presented a formal structure for thinking about action and being in a non-physical state.  You’re doing this drawing from psychology, physics and it seems like some of Alfred North Whitehead.   That gives me a way to think of how the non-physical might work without so much dependency on the physical images and metaphors that we come up with in efforts to describe non-physical experiences.  My hearty thanks. 

I googled “primary process” and came up with one antiquated Freudian definition and the rest dealing with our election system.  I wonder if there’s a Primary Process for Dummies out there that you could recommend.

I have one or three more questions but I’m constrained for time right now.  Since this is getting a bit off topic I might post them on Betson’s new thread.  I hope that’s all right with her. Thanks again.

Rob

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #29 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 6:47pm

I Just now was going to post up an article somewhat related to this topic I'm reading here. thought it was more than coincidence. I'll call it Emotions and DNA. no, maybe I should call it spiritualized DNA.
this idea to bring the logic of biological science to marry the emotional spiritalized human to see this is a concept of connections of Pantheism. (my new word I have to look up)

love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.