Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 34
Send Topic Print
90-Day Trial: Achieve an Out of Body Experience (Read 273562 times)
msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
90-Day Trial: Achieve an Out of Body Experience
Mar 13th, 2010 at 1:51pm

I want to do a 90-day trial to achieve my first out of body experience (OBE).

History

For the past 10 years I’ve had an off and on interest in astral projection. I first heard about the concept in high school when I looked up a psy-trance music group that I was interested in at the time, which were aptly called “Astral Projection”. Naturally, a Google search for those two words led me to the other meaning – out of body experience.

I became quite interested in the topic and read a couple books on the subject. I tried some techniques and had some interesting experiences but I never fully got there. For whatever reason I lost interest for a while and decided to put OBE’s on the back burner.

Over the years I’d periodically regain some interest, read more about it, and try some techniques. Without much initial success I became impatient and would move on to other things. For whatever reason though, I found myself coming back to the concept over and over. Eventually I came across the work done by Robert Monroe, and read his three books:

1. Journeys Out of the Body
   2. Far Journeys
   3. Ultimate Journey

I was completely blown away. The stories were so amazing I wondered how anyone could make them up. Then I discovered that the institute he created, The Monroe Institute, was still alive and going strong. Supposedly, people are learning how to do this all the time!

I decided that it was worth pursuing completely. As I’ve matured I’ve realized that anything worth doing usually takes persistence and patience. This 90-day trial also fits into Steve Pavlina’s success strategy of 30-day trials, so I’ve decided to really give this my all and see if I really am “more than my physical body”.

Strategy

The plan I will be using is from Robert Bruce’s and Brian Mercer’s book, “Mastering Astral Projection” (MAP). That book provides a 90-day guide to having an out of body experience, which includes:

* affirmations
    * writing in a journal
    * dream recall
    * relaxation exercises
    * breath work
    * mind taming (i.e. meditation)
    * energy work (i.e. chakras)
    * binaural beats
    * exit techniques

I have read many books on out of body experiences but I’ve never come across one with such a structured, day-by-day guide. I feel like this book will help stack the deck in my favor, giving me the best possible chance at an OBE. Note that each day will be different, so it differs from typical 30-day habit forming trials.

The plan is to follow the book as closely as possible to see its effectiveness. However, since I haven’t read the entire book yet I can’t guarantee I’ll follow it completely. One basic change I’ll have to make from the start is that some exercises that are meant to be done in the afternoon will likely be done in the morning, due to my schedule.

For the most part I’m coming into this trial as a newbie. I’ve been doing some meditating everyday for the past few weeks which will help with taming my mind, but that’s about it.

MAP itself suggests reading other books during this trial, to really saturate the subconscious mind, so I’ve queued up:

* Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce (read about 50% so far at the time of this posting)
    * Adventures Beyond the Body and The Secret of the Soul by William Buhlman
    * Voyages into the Unknown, Volume 1 by Bruce Moen (I will probably get the other 4 volumes as wanted)

I’ve also signed up to various forums and communities about Astral Projection/OBE’s to try and soak up as much knowledge as I can about the subject.

Motivation

So why am I doing this? Well some people might say that it’s all just mind games, but I believe it could lead to a verification of the after-life. At the very least, I will have much more evidence supporting the belief that I am more than my physical body.

Lately I’ve been exploring what spirituality is, as I used to be an atheist. I am a pretty left-brained and a scientific/analytical type of mind, so this type of verification of a spiritual topic would be a huge validation of my beliefs. It’s one thing to believe that you have a “spirit”, but it’s an entirely different thing to know.

I feel like astral projection is almost like a Pandora’s Box for me, which could lead to a very cool spiritual journey. Some people may think it’s weird or question the whole point of exploring anything not in the “real world”. I could probably write a whole post on that point of view, but I think that growing consciously is really the whole point of life to begin with. Why close your mind off from the whole package?

Other than that, I just find this topic interesting even as a mental exercise. I’m also a pretty curious person, and I like exploring topics that are on the edges of social norms.

Public Posting

I will be posting about my experiences over the 90 days. According to the book, each week will contain a different focus so posts will be weekly at the very least. I’ll try to post daily as long as there is something interesting to report.

I’m making this experience public for many reasons, which includes:

* increasing my chances for success. Having people read and rely on my progress will give me extra motivation to follow through with the whole 90 days.
    * exposing more of who I really am, and what I am interested in. I’m sure I’ll attract other like-minded individuals who I can share and grow with.
    * helping others who want to explore out of body experiences. This is a pretty nice topic, so the more information out there, the better.
    * having writing from a newbies point of view. Writing’s on how to achieve an OBE from the perspective of a person who has them regularly is never the same as one starting from the beginning.

Wish me luck. I’ll be starting day 1 this weekend. I’d be happy to read your thoughts. Smiley

IP Logged

StoneColdTrue

ALK Member

Birmingham, AL
Re: 90-Day Trial: Achieve an Out of Body Experience
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:11pm

Seems like you've certainly put a lot of thought and time into wanting to do this. I for one look very forward to your experiences.

"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. " -Bertrand Russel

IP Logged

Rebecca

USA
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 8:31pm

I have read and tried MAP last year, but only did it for a little over a month.  It comes with a companion cd, but he also sells an entire set of cds that I thought really helped.  I was able to get out of my body a couple times, just floating around, but not much more than that. 

I've had great luck just working on my energy body and doing chakra meditations as well.  I will have spontaneous OBEs in the middle of the night, but end up with a feeling of dread that sends me rushing back to my physical body.  I still haven't gotten past my own fears.

Good luck to you, I can't wait to read about your experiences.

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:05am

If you like, you could check out Frank Kepple's posts on Astral Pulse. He told interesting things about his OBE approach with a TMI Focus 10/12 recording.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_permanent_astral_topics/gateway_wav...
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_permanent_astral_topics/gateway_wav...
3. (What he experienced, his worldview)
http://www.astralpulse.com/frankkepple.html

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 2:53am

spooky2 wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:05am:
If you like, you could check out Frank Kepple's posts on Astral Pulse. He told interesting things about his OBE approach with a TMI Focus 10/12 recording.
3. (What he experienced, his worldview)
http://www.astralpulse.com/frankkepple.html

Spooky

Thanks, I have actually read that in the past, when I had first read Robert Monroe's books. It's probably worth another read though.

I'd like to try the phasing approach as well, but after I do this trial. Smiley

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:27am

The harder you try the less successful you will be. I have found that sleep deprivation really helps achieve an OOBE

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:53pm

Alan McDougall wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:27am:
The harder you try the less successful you will be.

I have a hard time believing this. If I don't try at all will I have OBE's all the time? No.. because I've never had one before.

Yeah I've heard about sleep deprivation helping but that honestly doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for the advice though!

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 2:39pm

As I prepare for my 90-day OBE trial that I start tomorrow, I decided I’d write about some of the structure of the trial and what I’ve done to prepare so far.

Weekly Structure

The organization of Mastering Astral Projection (MAP) is broken down into weeks. Each week focuses on a different aspect of the projection process, gradually increasing in complexity. I’m not sure if a week is enough time to “master” each topic, but it is a good starting point.

The first 6 weeks focus on all of the important skills before an actual exit attempt is made, such as:

* breath awareness
    * mind taming
    * energy work
    * entering a trance state

I will go into greater detail for each skill as I practice them. After week 6, exit strategies and all the problems or difficulties that can come up are discussed. The main point of all this is that even if I make rapid progress, it will still be 6 weeks before I even attempt an OBE.

Preparation Done So Far

Week 1 starts off strong with an introduction to many of the practices required for reliable astral projection.

I’ve set up a meditation space in my home that features a sofa chair for the majority of my practice. An egg timer is close by to help with the timing, as well as some incense to help associate the space with the purpose of relaxation/meditation. There is also a hard-backed chair, soft-backed chair, and an extra bed nearby.

MAP recommends keeping a dream journal to help with dream and OBE recall. I’ve been doing this already for the past several weeks on my own and have been moderately successful in jotting down keywords from my dreams. During the 90-day trial, I’ll be posting my keywords and whatever I can remember from my dreams here as well.

I will be using the BrainWave Generator (bwgen) as directed in MAP to help with the practice. Previously, I’ve experimented with other binaural beats/brainwave entrainment technology such as Holo-Sync, Hemi-Sync, and have found them to be quite helpful with meditation. Luckily, I have an audio extension cable to get the output from bwgen on my computer to headphones in the meditation space.

The daily affirmation MP3’s from MAP are loaded into my iPod and I’ll listen to the appropriate one in the morning/evening. Every little bit helps!

Expectations

I’m pretty excited but I’m also feeling a little unsure of myself. By making this so public I risk making failure public as well, and not too many people enjoy that! At the very least, going through this exercise will be a huge growth experience for me. Not only in perseverance, but also in expression and courage. C’est la vie.

IP Logged

Rebecca

USA
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 3:05pm

The harder you try the less successful you will be. I have found that sleep deprivation really helps achieve an OOBE

I agree with this...most of my spontaneous OBEs occurred after many sleepless nights and very little food (both of which were caused by stress).

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Rebecca wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 3:05pm:
I agree with this...most of my spontaneous OBEs occurred after many sleepless nights and very little food (both of which were caused by stress).

Fair enough, but I'm not sure it's wise to do this just to have an OBE. Smiley

IP Logged

Rebecca

USA
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:19pm

No, don't starve yourself or deny your body sleep.  But eating lightly the days you want to try to have an OBE or getting up at 3am to try it just might help.

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 10:04am

Rebecca wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:19pm:
No, don't starve yourself or deny your body sleep.  But eating lightly the days you want to try to have an OBE or getting up at 3am to try it just might help.

Oh yes, the wake back to bed method. I'll probably try that when I get to the exit techniques. Smiley

OBE/Astral Projection Trial Day 1

Program Notes/Observations:

The Brainwave Generator isn’t as pleasant to listen to as Hemi-Sync or Holo-Sync, because there isn’t any sort of music overlaid on top of the binaural beats. That’s ok though, it definitely seems effective so far.

The relaxation exercises are pretty easy, but Robert Bruce seems to stress the importance of them so I will definitely keep working on them.

Breath awareness has been difficult for me as I have a pretty active “monkey mind”, and I find my that my mind wanders quite a bit. I’ve been meditating for many weeks now so it’s not like this is a new experience to me either. I imagine my breath awareness would be even worse if I was starting it for the first time today.

Energy body stimulation through the use of “tactile imaging”, which is something Robert Bruce coined, is pretty neat. Basically you try to focus your body awareness on a single area of your body, like your big toe. You can scratch or poke your big toe to help with focusing on it. Then you can shift your body awareness to other areas of your body. I only did this for about 5 minutes today but as I write this I still feel the tingling sensations from doing this.

Dream Keywords: web design, business, gift for parents, mix up/same gift with girlfriend

I remembered two separate dreams last night. One was related to having a business on the web, and the other had something to do with a gift for my parents. Sadly I can’t recall any more details than that.

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 3:21pm

msagansk wrote on Mar 14th, 2010 at 1:53pm:
The harder you try the less successful you will be.

I have a hard time believing this. If I don't try at all will I have OBE's all the time? No.. because I've never had one before.

Yeah I've heard about sleep deprivation helping but that honestly doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for the advice though!

Hi Sag: This is true of all effort... especially in sports... if you try too hard you lose touch with the freeflowing intuitive ability that is just there... loosy goosy is the expression I think.

But trying too hard has an upside and a downside... I set a goal to do an obe... with RB material and was quite intense... bang I had a sudden obe... into an office building somewhere... then I snapped back and was unable to do it again for months...

but intensity is a part of it... I am now aware of a level of intensity that just kind of is below the surface...

so trying hard has a technique to it that is kind of like walking a tight rope... but, you will get the feel of it as you go forward.

S.

IP Logged

msagansk

ALK Member

Canada
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 3:31pm

Seraphis1 wrote on Mar 15th, 2010 at 3:21pm:
Hi Sag: This is true of all effort... especially in sports... if you try too hard you lose touch with the freeflowing intuitive ability that is just there... loosy goosy is the expression I think.

But trying too hard has an upside and a downside... I set a goal to do an obe... with RB material and was quite intense... bang I had a sudden obe... into an office building somewhere... then I snapped back and was unable to do it again for months...

but intensity is a part of it... I am now aware of a level of intensity that just kind of is below the surface...

so trying hard has a technique to it that is kind of like walking a tight rope... but, you will get the feel of it as you go forward.

S.

Yes, that is a great point. I agree with that, and the tightrope comment is a great analogy. Perhaps I am leaning more towards the trying too hard side of things, but I guess my point is you do have to try at least a little. Smiley

In time I will find the balance.

IP Logged

Rebecca

USA
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 3:33pm

I liked the hemi-sync better as well, but the brainwave generator certainly gave me a more spacey feeling and a feeling like my energy body was rocking and moving more so than the hemi-sync.

Calming the mind is very important, I'm a mind-wanderer as well.  Envision an object while doing the breathing exercises and do not lose focus of the object...the more you practice, the better you'll get at maintaining your focus!  Keep up the good work!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 34
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.