Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Slipping from the astral to lucid dreams (Read 37049 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Slipping from the astral to lucid dreams
Reply #30 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 1:58pm

Hi Don,

I remember you mentioning your experience with Janet, but I think this is the first time I've seen some details.  It's really too bad LaBerge's book convinced you OOBE is the same thing as lucid dreaming.  As I recall he believes dreams/OBE's are created by our brain which contains our consciousness.  To really understand that both an OOB reality and a dream reality exist and be able to distinguish the difference between them I think we need to at least consider, if not adopt, a new paradigm in which consciousness, including our personal consciousness is and always has been non-physical... that consciousness is not a construct of the brain, but that the brain is merely a tool that constrains/limits consciousness.

If I remember correctly, LaBerge considers the dream state/reality to be a virtual reality created by our brain or the mind contained within the brain.  He's kind of on the right track, but is only seeing things from a little picture perspective.  To see things from a big picture perspective we need to consider that consciousness is fundamental/primary and everything else, including all realities, as well as our physical reality that we are participating in are virtual realities.  It's understandable that people come to this conclusion since the physical reality is all we really know. 

To get to know and understand other realities, we need to try to let go of our beliefs associated with the physical reality by being open minded enough to make allowances, yet skeptical enough to not fall into a belief.  And we need lots and lots of experience exploring these other non-physical realities taking great care and honesty when discerning our experiences.  I agree with you that many times people misinterpret a lucid dream as an OOB experience, but the same could also be true for misinterpreting an OOB experience for a lucid dream.  So what's the difference between these?  I think the differences are subtle, but do exist.

In both a lucid dream and OOBE we are consciously aware of what is taking place, however in a LD we are in control and can direct the dream in any direction we choose.  We know we are dreaming and making it happen.  We control and/or create how others in the dreamscape interact with us.  In an OOBE we are not in control of someone else and their interaction with us.  I think your experience with Janet could have been an OOBE unless you created her as a young girl of 14 as well as you creating the tent, table, guide, embrace, etc.

Also in both a LD and OOBE we can have the sense of coming back into our body or C1 conscious awareness, so this alone cannot be an indicator of whether or not one was OOB.   Certainly you could have dreamed your experience of seeing yourself sleeping, etc., but from your description, I'd say you were OOB.  Feeling alone is not a valid indicator of LD or OOB because feeling/emotion occurs in all realities since it is an intrinsic part of our being.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #31 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:54pm

I used to have OBEs with all the effects, but eventually things reached the point where they are no longer necessary. In a way they are as necessary as seeing a tunnel during an NDE. One doesn't actually have to go through a tunnel in order to go to another realm.  Tunnels are created by higher level beings (perhaps a higher self) so a person will have a way to understand what's going on.

The same is true with out of body effects. Once a person reaches the point where he (or she) doesn't need to experience such effects in order to understand that something is going on, the need for such pagentry goes away.

Plus, I've found that it is possible to have OBEs with the effects where you experience something that was created by a higher level being for no other purpose than telling you something through a experiential and perhaps symbolic way.

Take Robert Monroe's experience of W.C. Fields.  I so much understand why a being would've chosen to present information to him in such a way. It was a symbolic way of saying that some aliens found out about humor from people. Certainly it is possible that there are aliens that didn't find out about humor on their own.

There is also the possibility that humor wasn't the only quality that was being spoken of. Rather, human-like qualities that some alien races weren't aware of before they made contact with human beings. Humor is just an example.

If one has lots of non-physical experiences and communicates with spirit beings (and aliens?) often, one is likely to find out that quite often experiences are created in a way that enables a person to understand something that actually takes place but is hard to comprehend if experienced as it actually exists.

Plus, there are occasions when we are told of what happens at levels of our being we aren't conscious of.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #32 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 3:20pm

Kathy,  LaBerge didn't really convince me that most OBEs are lucid dreams misinterpreted through wishful thinking.  Rather, my direct experiece of lucid dreaming forced me to ask: "Why do I imagine that my retrieval of Janet and my other OBE are more than lucid dreams?" 

In one lucid dream, I chose to stand across the street from the Boston Common at high noon.  I could see and hear vendors across the street barking their sales pitch to gain customers.  I could smell the fumes of auto exhaust, hear the honking horns, the sound of brakes and moving traffic, and the buzz of blending conversations of the many pedestrians who passed by in both directions.  Then this thought struck me: "I unconsciously chose to create this, even though many of the details seem beyond my conscious choice to create them. In short, I am God in this universe I have just created!"  Realizing that it was just a dream, I decided to take charge of my dream.  So I grabbed the next pretty woman who walked by, explaining to her that she is just a figment of my imagination and that I want to study the conversation we would spontaneously generate.  But she reacted in startled horror the way a real woman would react.  Her distress drew the attention of other pedestrians and I realized I might be in trouble.  I had no control over how the "people" in my dream were reacting!  Fear snapped me out of this dream and woke me up.  I realized that the vividness, the detail, and the multiple senses engaged were every bit as compelling as my alleged OBEs. I am not denying that OBEs with impressive verifications exist.  I'm just saying that the line between lucid dreams and OBEs may be far more subtle than we realize and that the many contradictory claims of OBE adepts may in part be due to inadvertent slips from an OBE to a dreaming state or its conscious equivalent.  This distinction needs clarification before knowledge claims about the structure of the etheric can be vindicated.  The problem is greater than attribution to deceptive spirits.

Don

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:27pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #33 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:17pm

I have met Stephen LaBerge and asked him in person why he believes that there is no distinction between OBEs and lucid dreaming, and he said it was because he had never yet experienced a "genuine OBE" himself to convince him that they exist apart from a mere lucid dream. 

Yes, the line between lucid dreams and OBEs is more subtle than we realize, and yes we do slip between different states of consciousness which in turn alter our experience.  What starts out as a regular dream or lucid dream can turn into an OBE or real visit from a deceased loved one.  It doesn't have anything to do with the dream, reality, or "where" it takes place.  It has to do with our level of consciousness and our ability to perceive while maintaining that focus.

There's a reason why the most important thing Bruce teaches is the Feeling Love exercise.  Our moods can be compared to levels of consciousness.  For instance, you being in a bad mood and playing with your dog or kid will make for a different kind of experience than if you were in a great mood and spending time with your dog or kid.  The reverse is true too.  Sometimes someone else's mood rubs off onto us, changing us. 

The reason for the Feeling Love exercise is to raise your consciousness and make you able to perceive (receive and feel) that which you would not otherwise be able to experience. 

The same is true for the reasons behind focused attention.  Practicing and using focused attention has a way of raising consciousness and opening perception beyond its normal limits.  I'm not just repeating what Bruce teaches.  I actually speak from personal experience. 

But like you said, Don, the lines are very subtle.  It makes the transition between levels very easy, so much so that we sometimes have no idea we've gone through any change at all.  Meditation, prayer, focused attention, wishful thinking, and even daydreaming are all ways in which we can utilize moving through consciousness in order to reach a bigger picture perspective. 

As for looking for intrinsic differences between a LD and OBE, I'd say the difference is your focus of attention. If you discover you're asleep and dreaming, you can either remain focused on doing that, or you can choose to change your focus.  In most cases, this conscious effort changes not only the environment you're perceiving but also alters or raises your state of consciousness.  Your mental clarity enhances greatly.  The things previously occupying your attention in the dream melt away and move to greater, more important things (feelings and awareness). 

As for proof, I can't really provide it to anyone's satisfaction, but an example is that I was once having, for all intents and purposes, a regular dream.  When I realized I was dreaming and that it was not actual physical reality, everything changed.  I was now finding myself walking up in bed.  For a moment I thought it was physical reality, but then as I walked from my bedroom down the stairs, I saw my dad standing there smiling at me.  I realized, "This isn't physical reality either, Dad is dead."  Upon that conscious realization, my state of consciousness altered to something I can only describe as being "higher" than any other state I've ever been in.  Suddenly, I knew (without any proof or verification necessary or possible) that my dad's spirit was actually "here" visiting me, for real.  It wasn't a question of where we were or what reality we were in, or whether the dream scene was real, was a lucid dream, or an OBE.  What was real was sharing a moment with my dad consciously, together, in such a "high" state of consciousness and being that nothing else mattered at that moment.  Seconds before, I was questioning "is this physical reality?  No, it's just a dream."  But upon that shift to "being with my dad in spirit", nothing else mattered anymore. 

That's why I know how important it is to learn how to move oneself through various levels of consciousness, hold to maintain focused attention and awareness, and utilize these "higher" states.  I've only experienced them briefly and have certainly wished I could have held onto the state longer.  It's something I'm always personally working on and practicing. 

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #34 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 4:35pm

Don,

Oh yes, I agree that the line between OBE and LD are very subtle and I think we can and do slip from OBE into a LD and vice versa quite easily.  However, the question is:  When you had your experience with Janet was it possible that somewhere within your own consciousness could you have thought to see her at a young age?  For example, had you had contact with a teenage girl recently in which the idea of a young girl could have been projected by your own consciousness?  Is so, it probably was a LD.  If not, it likely was an OBE.

With the Boston LD the entire thing could have been a LD or part LD and part OBE, but I'd say from your description it was a LD.  Even though it appeared you didn't have control over the reactions of others in the scenario, it seems reasonable to expect people to react with fear in that circumstance.  I know if I grabbed someone, a fear reaction from them would have been well within my conscious understanding, and the same would go for people watching the incident.

But you're correct about the contradictory claims of OBE adepts and I'm not sure if any satisfactory elucidation can be attained or even how to go about assessing meaningful clarification.

Thought I'd add a lucid dream I had to perhaps clarify how misinterpretation between a LD and OBE can easily occur by jumping to conclusions without thinking it through with a discerning mind. 

LD: I'm at the ocean and sitting on a dock across from someone that looks similar to a human, but isn't one.  Suddenly someone grabs this person and pulls her into the water.  She can swim like a fish, but she's struggling to get away from her assailant.  I notice there's a gun beside me so I pick it up and not wanting to take a chance of shooting her I aim it upwards and fire.  I hear a pop that sounds like a child's cap gun that kids played with 50 or so years ago.  She disappears into the water so I get up from my sitting position to dive into the water after her when a man wearing a suit pops out of the water carrying her to the beach.  As the scene fades I feel myself come back into my body and become fully awake.

Now, one could interpret this as:  Wow! I went OOB and visited another world/reality that was similar to ours, but had fishlike aliens populating it.  The people weren't as evolved as we are because of the old style cap gun and bodies that could swim like a fish...  or whatever scenario that would fit your own personal beliefs.

Or one could get out their favorite dream interpretation book and try to decipher meaning from the dream elements:  Water in the dream means it was a spiritual dream... fish like person may mean spiritual opportunities... struggling with someone may mean things won't be easy... man saving may mean spirit guide will help... etc., etc. (Sorry, I had to just throw this in because it shows how people add more and more beliefs that are likely to become traps.)

Or one could realize that everything that occurred reflected recent things that ran through their conscious mind:  In this case, I'd watched "Person of interest" on TV which reflected not only the man in the suit obviously, but also the blond girl that was in danger reminded me of an old movie about a mermaid.  (I don't recall the name of it.)  I'd also earlier in the day thought about a trip to the beach I'd taken a while back and I'd also thought of my brother who use to play with a cap gun when we were kids.

As with your Boston LD, I didn't have any control over others in my dream, but the way they reacted was well within the range of reasonable for me to have created the scenario from recent thoughts within my consciousness, which is what I was attempting to get at previously.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #35 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 5:13pm

Vicky,

I'll use the analogy of my experience with speaking in tongues.  I grew up in a Pentecostal church and eventually had many high ecstasy experiences of speaking in tongues.  Interpretations of tongues can  occasionally be spectacular--helpful, even life-saving verifiable messages in Swahili and other tribal languages. But over time, I became convinced that 90% of tiongues is not divinely inspired but rather a learned mechanical reflex that produces ecstasy. 

Then one day  at age 16, I experenced the real thing.  I was on the verge of losing my faith due to doubts about the Bible and the reality of paranormal spiritual manifestations.  At a camp meeting place in western Manitoba I went on a long walk during which I challenged God to make Himself real to me.  I promised to serve Him with all my heart if He would do so, but said that my flawed sense of integrity would drive me from the faith, if He refused to come thruogh.  {Yes, I know God is not literally a "He.")

When I returned form the walk, I was ravenous, but decided to skip dinner and give the money that would have paid for the meal in the Tuesday evening service's offering.  After the service, I went forward to pray at the altar of the open amphitheater. I stayed there even after the lights were turned off.  After a half an hour, my heart was stone cold.  I was determined not to give in to wishful thinking or self-manipulation.  But then suddenly I felt what I can only describe as a supernatural warm breeze.  I was then enveloped by wave after wave of ever increasing liquid love so intense that I feared it might kill me.  I was possessed by the Holy Spirit and forced to speak in tongues at the top of my voice.  Soon curious spectators drifted into the amphitheater to sit and watch in awe what was happening to me.  I would later ask a lady why she came, and she replied, 'Don't you know?  Your face was glowing in the dark!"  One spectator, a skeptical Lutheran pastor, interrupted me: "I'm not into speaking in tongues at all, but I can tell that God is doing something special in your life.  Would you pray for me?"  I gently touched him and it was as if I electricuted him; he gushed forth in other tongues.  In my view, I experienced the level of love that some experience in NDEs when they encounter the Being of Light.  I later found descriptions of this experience that parallel my own imagery. 

My point is this: that experience of speaking in tongues was unquestionably the real thing, but I wouldn't expect to convince a skeptic of that claim.  Similarly, I believe OBEs can be real, despite the lack of verifications.  I just haven't had a self-authenticating OBE of the same order as that experience of speaking in tongues. 

Don

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #36 - Jan 11th, 2013 at 6:36pm

Don,

Great story.  I can see that that was quite a moving experience for you as well as for the ones who witnessed it.  I definitely believe we get experiences that are tailored and meaningful to us. 

And I'm glad to see you say you believe OBEs can be real despite verification. 

I too have had one most amazing experience in my life that I have since not been able to have again nor replicate in any way.  But it changed my life and my beliefs.  I wasn't even looking for it nor asking for any proof or guidance.  So the fact that it happened the way it did seemed more impressive to me.  I wonder every day, why can't I have more such experiences??  It's why I'm so adamant about trusting what we receive especially when it's something very powerful and moving.  We just don't get those kinds of experiences just because we wish it were so.  There is more going on behind the scenes than we're aware.  Like your speaking in tongues experience, you weren't the only one there that night in need of faith.

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Bardo

Reply #37 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 10:09am

Vexing. The path is so mysterious. Some follow it and never have such powerful experiences. Other have them with no intent whatsoever. It is hard, at a certain point, to continue based on a single experience that happened several years ago...

IP Logged

O

ALK Member

Reply #38 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 10:16am

Not all may start from the same square, Bardo. And not all may need to have the same experience.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #39 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 4:46pm

Quote:
...This distinction needs clarification before knowledge claims about the structure of the etheric can be vindicated.

Don, the statement you made above has been on my mind for most of the day today.  Could you explain more of what you mean by "structure of the etheric"?

Thanks,
Kathy

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #40 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm

Kathy,
I can't recall in detail all the models, but here is the general idea:

1. The Conflicting Afterlife Models in HInduism vs. Tibetan vs. Other Forms of Buddhism where there is no afterlife "career," but either a loss of individual identity or planes to prepare for reincarnation

2. The standard Older New Age Models: (Rudolph Steiner, etc.)
Plane of Illusion
Mental Plane
Plane of Fire
Plane of Form

3. The Many Very Different Planes Identified by the Eckandar Cult's Astral Travelers

4. Swedenborg:
the 3  Heavens, each with its own nature and purpose
and with postmortem careers of service made possbile by the absence of reincarnation
the World of Spirits, from which one can be schooled to advance to a heaven
the 3 hells

5. The Monroe-Moen Model:
Focus 24
The Belief System Territories in Focus 25-26
Focus 27: The Plane of Laissez-Fair Freedom, provided one deesn not interfere with the journey's of others
Focus 34-35: The Plane of "The Gathering"
A Choice about Reincarnation (parallel, not sequential)

Trhoguh tortured homonizatoins, some overlap in these models might be achieved but the differences are often so striking that the contamination of belief influence, and more importantly, confusion of genuine OOB states with lucid dream consciousness and its conscious equivalent strikes me as inevitable. 

Don

IP Logged

Pat E.

Northern California
Reply #41 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 2:22am

Or perhaps what lies beyond time/space is so vast, diverse and beyond our ability to fully understand, combined with each explorer's ability to only perceive in the context of his/her own previous experiences (Moen's perceiver/interpreter), that such multiple interpretations are inevitable.  Many blind men examining an elephant sort of thing.

IP Logged

PauliEffectt

ALK Member

Reply #42 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 7:12am

Berserk2 wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Focus 24

The Belief System Territories are F 24-26.

Focus 24 is part of the BSTs. Also, DeMarco has experienced some consensus
regions in Focus 23, so it's possible that the BSTs to some part reach into
Focus 23, too.

Some words about Focus 23. Most people who get stuck in F 23 are alone or
(on rare occasions) only a few persons. But DeMarco claims that there are mall
regions, probably with little or without any specific afterlife belief, where dead
people walk around and "buy" stuff, or just do nothing special in those shopping
centers.

I would expect those mall regions to be located in F 25, so if anyone gets
any info on this matter, please place a post somewhere on this forum.

One quality of people in Focus 23 is that they don't always know that they
are dead. Maybe some people in F 23 in those large shopping areas have
such poor awareness that they can't move forward, at least for some
time until an "inner" development has occurred?

So in a sense, perhaps some of those F 23 people are in a state closer to
a dream, than to an OBE state? There are other people too, like in one of
Monroe's books, where a man was without afterlife beliefs, stuck alone
in F 23 and well aware that he was dead.

---

I wonder if the difference between an OBE and an LD is the ability to hold
a certain amount of "nonphysical energy". Most people can't gather that
type of energy on their own, and when they receive such energy, they
have difficulties keeping it for any long time. I for example have always
slipped into LDs, and then regular dreams rather quickly from OBEs,
so I just assume that there is something going on, which could be
said to be energy related between a clear OBE state and an LD state.

Maybe the OBE ability is related to developing certain nonphsycial "organs"?

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #43 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 2:20pm

PauliEffect wrote: "But DeMarco claims that there are mall regions, probably with little or without any specific afterlife belief, where dead
people walk around and "buy" stuff, or just do nothing special in those shopping
centers."

Recoverer responds: "I didn't read what DeMarco wrote so it is hard to say, but an experience of "mall regions" might've been a symbolic representation of the state of consciousness some people are in after they die. If they gave no thought to spiritual growth while in this World (and didn't help others) and instead focused on materialistic interests etc., they might have a "mall-like" consciousness after they die.

IP Logged

Griffin

Reply #44 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 2:25pm

Hi Don,   My understanding of. "After-life Buddhist Careers" is: you work to help all Beings everywhere to realise full awakening. You delay your own full awakening until all others have realised it first. Giving aid to the deceased is part of this. My understanding comes from oral/practical teachings & books, so I'm not speaking from profound personal experience .  I'm not an expert on Buddhism beyond long experience with meditation. The "doctrine" part of it doesn't interest me much. I like the Heart Sutra very much though.... but I'm no expert and can't speak for "Buddhism" with any real authority. I only know practical stuff and can only "show" it and not "speak" it. In my own non-physical travels, I just encounter individuals. The ones who obviously are very intelligent don't identify themselves as coming out of any particular religion, though they may have for all I know. ...  It's really nice to hear your voice again Don. I have more affection for you than I think you know. It's good you're here. It makes me feel happy.                                                                                Tim.                                                                                                                        YBerserk2 wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Kathy,
I can't recall in detail all the models, but here is the general idea:

1. The Conflicting Afterlife Models in HInduism vs. Tibetan vs. Other Forms of Buddhism where there is no afterlife "career," but either a loss of individual identity or planes to prepare for reincarnation

2. The standard Older New Age Models: (Rudolph Steiner, etc.)
Plane of Illusion
Mental Plane
Plane of Fire
Plane of Form

3. The Many Very Different Planes Identified by the Eckandar Cult's Astral Travelers

4. Swedenborg:
the 3  Heavens, each with its own nature and purpose
and with postmortem careers of service made possbile by the absence of reincarnation
the World of Spirits, from which one can be schooled to advance to a heaven
the 3 hells

Focus 24
Focus 27: The Plane of Laissez-Fair Freedom, provided one deesn not interfere with the journey's of others
Focus 34-35: The Plane of "The Gathering"
A Choice about Reincarnation (parallel, not sequential)

Trhoguh tortured homonizatoins, some overlap in these models might be achieved but the differences are often so striking that the contamination of belief influence, and more importantly, confusion of genuine OOB states with lucid dream consciousness and its conscious equivalent strikes me as inevitable. 

Don

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.