Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Juditha? Banned? Why? (Read 31099 times)
your_mum

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

UK
Juditha? Banned? Why?
Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:26am

I would just like to ask for what reason Juditha has been banned by Bruce, as she has never done anything wrong before, and has always been a caring and pleasant individual. Juditha and her sister are both greatly upset by this and I just wish to know what she has supposedly done wrong. I would also urge Bruce to forgive her , whatever she did, as we all make mistakes. What is the point of not forgiving someone over one little thing? (i say this not knowing the full details, so i may be wrong referring to it as that, but the point stands) What will anyone gain from this?

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Juditha? Banned? Why?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:50am

I would imagine that she unwittingly broke the posting guidelines.  See the thread below about finding Juditha's posts.  I am all for posting guidelines myself.  However, I have said this before.  I believe that should potentially offensive language be found, the person should be confronted either on the board or via PM and requested to delete the offensive post immediately. 

Mandatory banning, it seems to me would only be indicated if the party were warned, given a chance to make amends, but refused to do so.  Or, if the party posted further unsavory comments. 

Matthew

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:41am

People actually send Bruce messages complaining about posts??!!

&&

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:49am

I noticed Juditha's indescretion.  Someone said to her "calm down, calm down" and so it went.  I still feel that had the post she made calling another a "liar" been voluntarily removed, there would be no need for a 14 day banning. 

I feel that confronting negative posts this way, with voluntary removal by the poster and dialogue is so much better.  I do not believe that there are serious legal ramifications here.  Most postings on blogs and websites go far over this line, and with speech still being free on here in the U.S.A and on the Web, the implications are minimal from the few negative posts out there.  That being said, I agree with removing the post initially without any kind of banning.

I hope that there is no feeling of satisfaction on the part of those who were responsible for getting Juditha banned.  This whole thing could have been voluntarily defused by Juditha herself, without the behind the scenes dialogue and ill feelings that created.

Matthew

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:55am

augoeideian wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 10:41am:
People actually send Bruce messages complaining about posts??!!

Augoeideian,

It is called the Peer Moderator system and you can learn more about it by clicking the link at the bottom of any forum page.  This system is used to give members of these forums a voice in maintaining them as a safe, pleasant places to share experiences and questions.  Peer Moderators play a vital role toward that goal and their input is greatly appreciated by the Staff.

Bruce
[/size][size=6]

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:08am

Thanks for your reply Bruce,

i agree with Matthew - the behind the scenes dialogue is a bit disturbing.  Peer moderators should lead by example through open honest communication in the forum - not behind closed doors.

It also puts more strain on Bruce i do believe - running to him like school prefects - so and so said this and so and so did that - can't they just say in the open under the offending post - Juditha that may offend some people - what do you think Juditha? Give people a chance to defend themselves - sometimes we have good days and sometimes we have bad days.

i thought there was democracy in death.

&&

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:28am

Augo,

There is no democracy on a conversation board, nor should there be, because we are all here due to Bruce's kindness in hosting the site - that much is clear.  Furthermore, moderator input and banning are occasionally necessary, but I think you and I agree with the manner in which it is done.

To my mind, it seems more friendly and "out in the open," if a defamatory comment arises for a moderator to pop in to the thread and point out the transgression.  The person would then be given the opportunity to remove their negative comment, have it stricken, and behave.  If they chose not to do so, it would be done for them, and they could be banned for a time.  Everyone would see the moderator's input as it came, and that open dialogue would leave little for anyone to say. 

I do think Bruce has been quite open about explaining what happened today.  I hope my comments are heard in an objective, and constructive way - as that is how they are meant. 

I also agree that this is his forum, and that all of us are guests here.  As such, courtesy is a paramount attribute to anyone posting.

Matthew

IP Logged

Number XII

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:44am

I think if you make a thread on a forum, bad mouthing somone else, who runs another forum, you deserve a perma ban.  Boo f-ing hoo, 14 days.

Who cares, she did somthing stupid and she got in trouble for it.

Leave it alone.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:51am

i agree with everything you say Matthew (except the democracy part) but yes, in respect for Bruce who kindly hosts this site, rules are important and courtesy is paramount.

As we agree the manner in which it is done - to me it just seems counter-productive on a 'spiritual' board to ban someone who has been here for awhile and shared love with us.  The message given to someone ban is you are rejected - i think it is a sad day and do not see any love in it whatsoever.

May i ask who the peer moderators are in this forum?

Yo Indiglo i care - i send Juditha love right now.  We are adults whoever's board it is, if they are strong enough and have guts,  they can stand up for themselves.

&&

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:58am

Augo,

You know that you and I agree - about the open nature of it all.  As to continuing to address this issue, Indiglo if you are done with it, you are free to move on to another topic of conversation.  For the rest of us, the issue raised is that of first alerting the poster that a violation of the rules was made, and then giving them the opportunity to correct that mistake in a quick and friendly way. 

Juditha in her despair after receiving a self described horrible email was upset, and did not realize that the word "liar," would result in all this.  If a moderator had popped up, reminded her of this - she would have likely withdrawn the comment immediately.  Doesn't that make more sense. 

I have thought of Judtiha's comments as loving and,  sometimes naive but in a beautiful way.  Be open with her, give her a chance right up front instead of the way it happened. 

Fogiveness is a key point here, and in the afterlife.

Matthew

IP Logged

Number XII

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:01pm

That would be all good and well, but she wasn't 'standing up' for herself.  She was simply complaining, in an immature way. 

She deserved what she got.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

IP Logged

Number XII

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:04pm

DocM wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 11:58am:
Augo,

As to continuing to address this issue, Indiglo if you are done with it, you are free to move on to another topic of conversation.

You act like somthing horrible has happened, she broke the rules, she was given a time out, she will (be able to) come back.

2 weeks to think about it.

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:16pm

Oh for goodness sake Indiglo this isn't a cheap internet chat board for teenagers where people's feelings mean nothing.  People here talk about things that are important to them - often sensitive subjects.

As the peer moderators will explain to us ..

&&

IP Logged

Number XII

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 2:04pm

augoeideian wrote on Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:16pm:
Oh for goodness sake Indiglo this isn't a cheap internet chat board for teenagers where people's feelings mean nothing.  People here talk about things that are important to them - often sensitive subjects.

As the peer moderators will explain to us ..

Good, great. okay, discuss your afterlifes and your spirits, I'm all for that, quite interesting, but out right b**ching about another forum owner, get over it. 

Can't post for 2 weeks?

GET OVER IT.

It might not be some cheap teenage chat forum, but it sure as hell isn't daycare.  Adults should be able to take what's thrown at them and not respond with 'No, she's a liar.'  What an adult thing to do.

2 weeks.

14 days.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 2:52pm

Indiglo,

These posts are nasty in their tone.  No one is "B**ing" about the forum owner, Bruce.  And, unless I miss my guess, the moderators will not like that kind of talk directed at Augo or myself either. 

The whole purpose of this thread is to engage in discussion about the process of moderating, and what can be done to make things better using Juditha's experience as an example.  Juditha may have had no idea that she broke the forum policy, and with quick reflection the post could have been deleted.  That is why I suggested that she voluntarily remove it, and then be allowed to participate in a discussion.  No one cares about 14 days that you keep harping on - truly.  So your repetition of this has no meaning.  Juditha was a much loved poster who cared for others and they for her.  The hurt and trouble caused for her, her sister, and their friends is, apparently more than are able to acknowledge.  Ok.  You mentioned that earlier now.  Juditha and Deanna were so offended that they may never post again.  You may not care about that, but we do.  Bruce, I do not think that this action and subsequent consequences were what anyone wanted.

Indiglo, this thread, in the Off Topic forum is for those who would like to talk about it.  Please respect that - your point was made several posts ago.

Matthew

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.