Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
A Recent Healing of a Cripple (Read 52840 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: A Recent Healing of a Cripple
Reply #75 - May 7th, 2010 at 12:31pm

Perhaps one of the greatest miracles of all is humility.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #76 - May 7th, 2010 at 6:42pm

Hawkeye: “Many of these so-called miracles cannot be proved..."
Winston Churchill defined a “fanatic” as someone who won’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.”  This definition applies to New Age Fundamentalists like Hawkeye.  For the countless time, I never claim to offer anything close to proof.  I try to distinguish evidentially relevant material from material that suffers by comparison and should be deemed a counterfeit and then I seek the interpretation that makes the best sense of all  the data. 

Hawkeye: Many of these so-called miracles…seem more likely just coincidence.”
This statement is all the more absurd by the unsubstantiated subjective New Age claims that Hawkeye uncritically embraces.  Hawkeye’s clichéd objection is like someone who claims that our rocket program launched spaceships into deep space and it is just a coincidence that landing craft reached Mars in safety.  Of course, he could backpedal in typical New Age fashion and resort to the desperate expedient of arguing that every claim made by someone who lacks Ghetto credentials must be lying or self-deluded.  But let’s expose the absurdity of the “mere coincidence” explanation by summarizing most of the cases I actually site:

(1) I have 4 death premonitions that all come true. I have never had such a premonition that did not come true.  I’m even psychically warned to sit down and wait to hear about one such death and the phone rings at once so I can hear about it and the need for me to replace the newly dead professor—and you actually deem it plausible to dismiss all this as mere coincidence?  Wow! 

(2) Gary is the source of this prayer healing.  Gary’s Grandpa is directed to a man he has never met at an address he has never visited to pray for an inoperable cancer that he otherwise knows nothing about, and you ask us to believe that the resulting prayer cure is just coincidence?!

(3) This experience is narrated by Ken Gaub’s daughter who was present at the time.  A suicidal woman calls Pastor Ken Gaub at a gas station pay phone near Dayton, OH with no idea of where Ken is or what the phone number there is.  And Hawkeye discerningly dismisses this as mere coincidence? 

(4) Leah’s friend feels an impulse to take a freeway exit and enter a McDonalds lady’s room with a word of comfort for a woman in the toilet booth is on the verge of suicide.   Leah’s friend had no reason to believe a suicidal woman was there, but Hawkeye deems this a mere coincidence?

(5) My Dad’s friend, Ken, explains his conversion from agnosticism to Christianity.  He challenges God to give him a sign, namely that a man will approach him in front of an Edmonton office building where he will attend a business meeting and say, “Alms please.”  A panhandler dressed like a Scotsman says these implausible archaic words and dematerializes—and our Hawkeye dismisses this as mere coincidence?

(6) Muslim extremist, Ahmed ia dying of AIDS and in retrospect admits he wanted to kill the young Christian couple who visited him in the hospital an prayed for his recovery.  Jesus appears to him in his room, showering him with pure unconditional love so powerfully that Ahmed immediately wants to become a Christian.  He seeks out the kind Christian couple and their prayers complete the healing of advanced AIDs that the apparition of Jesus began.  And Hawkeye suggests that all this has a natural explanation? 

(7) Jesus enters a hospital room as a blinding light as a pre-arranged time in front of several witnesses.  Psychologist Nita Edwards is healed of severe spinal damage, and  withered hands.  Even the thighs on her useless legs are restored.—and Hawkeye actually quibbles with the need to concede that a miracle has occurred?

(8) Leonard Sleight’s son returns from the dead, drives his old pick-up, informs his Dad about his total financial situation so that Leonard does not need to do any research.  Jeff’s late wife Karen appears to Leonard the next day and instantly heals his grief for all to see—and Hawkeye sees no need to consider this a miracle?

(9) My cousin Darlene’s eye is badly torn up when struck by a stray tennis smash.  X-rays show that she needs surgery, which is scheduled for the next day.  But her girlfriends at ORU maintain a long prayer vigil for her healing and she receives “a brand new baby eye.”  But our bigot, Hawkeye, cannot accept a miracle like this because of his hatred and bias against Oral Roberts.  Hawkeye is so blind he cannot even consider the fact that Darlene and her friends had rebelled against Oral’s fundamentalism!

(10) John dies in a car crash.  The medical examiner verifies that John has no heart-beat, pulse, etc. and pronounces him dead.  John is sent to the morgue.  But his wife Helen feels compelled to pray for a resurrection miracle and gets it.  But our Hawkeye who is willing to embrace all sorts of unverifiable New Age drivel is unimpressed!

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #77 - May 7th, 2010 at 8:35pm

Your right Don, I'm unimpressed and yes I beleave them to be possibly "coincidences". There is the possibility that these so called miracles can be explained as helpers from other dimensions using the appearance of Jesus so as not to scare, or in order to make the apparition acceptable to the receiver. To Don and many Christian believers, its Jesus. Muslims, perhaps Muhammad(etc). To someone as crazy as what Don makes me out to be, perhaps a visitor, or even myself, from some other dimension. They could all be one in the same. Thats the difference between you and I Don. I can except the different possibilities. You just keep on attacking us here Don. In the end, one of us will still end up saving your ass when you are existing within a self imposed hell. See, if you look honestly inside Don. You know your unlikely to end up in your heaven. The bar you set for yourself and others is just to high.
We must both be fanatics Don, per WC's definition. Course I not a crazy fanatic.
I remember not so long ago when you were close to being expelled from this site. I was one of the many who came forward to say I didn't want to see you gone. You see, your arrogance and ego driven rants show me just how close I and others are to God, and how far some still have to go.
Don, Did I tell you lately that I love you?

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #78 - May 9th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Hawkeye: "Many of these so-called miracles seem more likely just coincidence."
In reply, I pointed to the paranormal aspects of 10 of my cases that make the "just coincidence" rationalization absurd.  Hawkeye immediately realizes this, and so, he backpedals and offers a different objection that is even more absurd:

Hawkeye: "These so-called miracles can be explained as helpers from other dimensions using the appearance of Jesus so as not to scare, or in orider make the apparition acceptable to the receiver."
This evasion assumes that any astral appearances that don't fit the New Age Ghetto's preconceptions must be cases of spirit impersonation!  The claim stoops to the paralllel argument of some in the Fundamentalist Ghetto that any astral appearances that don't fit their preceptions must stem from demonic impersonators.  Both variations of this impersonation claim are designed to make verification, even in principle, impossible.  This ploy short-circuits any pretensions to an honest spiritual quest. 

But that is not what is most absurd about Hawkeye's backpedaling; he is critiquing the 10 paranormal experiences I cite from my 12, but invokes his New Age doctrine without even noting that only 2 of my 12 cases feature an apparition of Jesus!  Hawkeye's backpedaling blinds him to the fact that his revised theory no longer even addresses 10 of my 12 examples!  Duh!

Also, notice carefully that New Age fundamentalists constantly project their own propensity to pontificate on to me, someone who never pontificates about bilblical truth or the provabiility of his paranormal verifications.  I will continue to rub your nose in the irrationality of your rants until you display the ability or at least the inclination to offer reasoned positions.  Note that I always offer rationales for my positions, unlike my pontificating New Age friends.

Don

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #79 - May 10th, 2010 at 12:53am

Pontificate on to you?? Get a grip Don and look in the mirror. The belief that your religious doctrine holds any more truth than my spiritual beliefs is laughable. You act so unchristian Don. Is it fear? Fear of the truth? That you are living a lie? You can attempt to continue to rub my nose in my beliefs if you want but that is just fine with me. You see, I have no doubts about my beliefs. I flush better things down the toilet on a daily bases, than what you have to offer. Of course I loving flush them, and except them for what they are no matter what their source or structure. Your on a messed up spiritual quest Don. You are attempting to exercise control over anyone and everyone. I beleave it will led you to your own hell. Personally, fundamentalist like you make me want to vomit. But I also beleave you have a right to your opinions and the right to speak them. We are just nothing like each other now are we.
If we continue on like this Don, we just might end up the best of friends.

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #80 - May 10th, 2010 at 10:18am

When you know, YOU KNOW don....good luck.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #81 - May 10th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Once again, I will temporarily vacate this mindless sea of New Age flatulence.  Notice, once again, that I always make my case with reasoned arguments and intellectual challenges.  Notice, too, that none of my arguments are ever addressed head on.  Instead, the philosphicallhy unwashed New Age herd projects their own penchant for pontification onto me. 

What is truly hysterical is that they have almost no idea of what I actually believe.  This is supposedly a site about the afterlife and relevant paranormal experiences that support it.  I always try to stick to that topic and seldom initiate biblically related topics unless mindless pontifications are hurled by posters who are sadistically eager to disrespect biblical teachings about which they know almost nothing.  I employ blunt rhetoric only in response to blunt, insulting rhetoric.  The New Age Ghetto enjoys seeing honest seekers outside their Ghetto dissed, but howls like mindless banchees when they are dissed in kind.  Such is the low density of consciousness on this site that it is essential that a mirror be held up to these pathetic souls that reflects back their tactics on to their unenlightened souls. 

It's a shame that this board lacks decent moderation.  I long for a site of this nature where intelligent and morally sensitive seekers can raise intellgient new questions, share profound paranormal experiences, and strive, without pontifications, to expand our knowledge of the afterlife.  Instead, the lack of credibility of most posters ironically makes this an excellent argument against an afterlife!  In my view, honest seekers like Roger are now skeptical of an afterlife, in part, because they have inhaled too many whiffs of New Age rants and writings that utterly lacks integrity and mindful reflection.  Too bad!

Good-by for a few months again,
Don

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #82 - May 10th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Tally HO!

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #83 - May 10th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Don:

On the other hand, it doesn't seem as if you seriously considered what I wrote on the "The quest for legitimate OBE criteria" thread.

If Roger considered such an approach, he might find that there is a way of becoming certain of afterlife contact that goes beyond the limited protocol you presented.

If you experienced things in the ways that I and other people have done so, you would understand that there is an approach beyond the approach you outline.

For people who have found such an approach and have become certain accordingly, your lack of understanding of their perspective is quite clear.

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #84 - May 10th, 2010 at 3:43pm

See ya upon your return. I look forward to it and hope that you have the brown cleaned out of your eyes by then.
Those at "Gods" church that you speak in are doing many good works. They should be commended. Their acts of charity may end up bringing about real miracles. Good luck on your quest. I truely hope that you can find what you are looking for.

IP Logged

Lakeman

ALK Member

Reply #85 - May 10th, 2010 at 6:15pm

“Once again, I will temporarily vacate this mindless sea of New Age flatulence.  Notice, once again, that I always make my case with reasoned arguments and intellectual challenges . . . What is truly hysterical is that they have almost no idea of what I actually believe . . . . The New Age Ghetto enjoys seeing honest seekers outside their Ghetto dissed, but howls like mindless banchees when they are dissed in kind.  Such is the low density of consciousness on this site . . . . In my view, honest seekers like Roger are now skeptical of an afterlife, in part, because they have inhaled too many whiffs of New Age rants and writings that utterly lacks integrity and mindful reflection.  Too bad!

Good-by for a few months again . . .”

Ye gods, only for a few months? With a litany like that? Truly, what a crushing disappointment! The bombastic grandiosity and mordant self-pity in the above is deeply touching. The pathological narcissism will surely be missed.

Ah, but seriously:

The great and enduring value of the work of Bob Monroe is that he chose to abandon the established scientific, religious, and esoteric vocabularies and viewpoints, and simply report, as objectively as possible, and try to understand, as intelligently as possible, his “strange” (OBE) experiences. He wasn’t out to push a particular theory, or ideology, or religion, and he didn’t claim to be “spiritual,” as he noticed that the people who do make such claims tend to be the most unspiritual folks around. He always urged people to “check it out for themselves,” and never got into silly and pointless arguments over doctrine or interpretations. The same is true of Bruce Moen and his work. Their books continue to be important markers and inspiration to others.   

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #86 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:13pm

Berserk complains about a lack of philosophical debate here. He has a degree in, I guess, theology, I have an degree in philosophy. And I can tell you, the philosophers very often shake their heads when theologians tell about what they think is a philosophy.

Berserk undoubtly has a sense for scientific methods and discriminations. That's good. But he has no sense of their limitations. And he weights "proof" differently, depending on the source: Christian or not. That's not so good. He might not be aware of it, as he looks as well at mundane science, but the acceptance of old scripture's tellings as if it were as good as a proof identifies him as a hard believer in a certain concept.

We should consider though that each of us might be in some ways influenced by baseless, but still basic beliefs. So let's be wakeful. As believing in a religion or a similar system will not give you peace.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #87 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:16pm

"believe nothing, taste the pudding for yourself"--Tom Campbell

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #88 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:38pm

Don't believe the pudding, don't believe the taste.
Spooky

P.S.
OK, I admit it, philosophy graduates can be destructive. Maybe they should sent immediately to a Zen convent Wink .

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #89 - May 10th, 2010 at 9:54pm

I would agree the taste is the whole enchilada.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.