Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What if mediumship is fraud? (Read 14481 times)
Darryl Forests

ALK Member

What if mediumship is fraud?
Jul 22nd, 2013 at 11:11am

Hi folks,

I used to be a spiritualist but I turned a skeptic after studying the subject. I came to the conclusion that mediumship is fraudulent. Indeed if you read the literature all mediums from Leslie Flint, Leonora Piper, Daniel Dunglas Home, Eusapia Palladino, Jack Webber, Helen Duncan, Etta Wriet etc were exposed as frauds.

Despite my criticism of mediumship. I still believe in the afterlife. So my question is, that mediumship being a scam then the afterlife is still possible.

I am interested in the alternative afterlife hypotheses. One of which says the afterlife is like a dream world etc or others that we go to different dimensions. So mediumship being completely false does not invalidate an afterlife. An afterlife can still exist.

Darryl Forests

IP Logged

AH1976

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Midlands, UK
Re: What if mediumship is fraud?
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 5:06pm

I'm not familiar with the names you mention but I'm going to guess they are decades old, or older? I'd imagine it would be pretty easy back then to expose a medium as a 'fraud' without having to actually back it up. These days it's much harder to do that because everything we say and do is recorded somewhere.

I admit to having my doubts about mediums and I'm sure as hell there are a lot out there that are fake or just very lucky, but I'm also sure there are a lot out there that are real.

I read a book called 'The Afterlife Experiments' and they did some pretty good tests of mediums and it does kinda lend credibility to them having some kind of ability. Though much the same was those mediums were exposed as 'frauds' it's possible the book was written by frauds.

Ultimately it all comes down to faith, the more I read the more I started to believe that some of these people actually are real.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 5:14pm

Hi Darryl,

can you give the sources who have exposed Flint, Piper and Home as frauds.

Thanks.

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:59pm

Harry Houdini was well known as a debunker of fraudulent mediums and he was very good at his job.  One could say that he was obsessed with doing this partly because of personal reasons.   

He investigated Edgar Cayce and never spoke critically of Edgar after unlike every other psychic he investigated.  If anything, he may have been inspired by Cayce's work because not long before he died he was working on a movie that dealt with a theme of reincarnation oddly enough (reincarnation became a very prominent theme in the Cayce work). 

The head of the Harvard Psychology department went down to investigate Cayce with the intention of proving him the fraud he thought he was.  After his investigation he told Cayce that he didn't know exactly what was going on but that he knew he was sincere and was providing definite help to people.  He did caution him that some of his associates left something to be desired.  Unfortunately, throughout his life various people tried to use Edgar for their own material gain--even his own father.

But then again, Cayce wasn't really a "medium" per se.  Even now there are a lot of fraudulent and deceptive psychics out there, but that doesn't mean that all of them are like that.     I'm not sure if you're only talking about mediumship though or speaking generally about psychism as a whole.

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:09pm

Harry Houdini was well known as a debunker of fraudulent mediums and he was very good at his job.  One could say that he was obsessed with doing this partly because of personal reasons.   

He investigated Edgar Cayce and never spoke critically of Edgar after unlike every other psychic he investigated.  If anything, he may have been inspired by Cayce's work because not long before he died he was working on a movie that dealt with a theme of reincarnation oddly enough (reincarnation became a very prominent theme in the Cayce work). 

The head of the Harvard Psychology department went down to investigate Cayce with the intention of proving him the fraud he thought he was.  After his investigation he told Cayce that he didn't know exactly what was going on but that he knew he was sincere and was providing definite help to people.  He did caution him that some of his associates left something to be desired.  Unfortunately, throughout his life various people tried to use Edgar for their own material gain--even his own father.

But then again, Cayce wasn't really a "medium" per se.  Even now there are a lot of fraudulent and deceptive psychics out there, but that doesn't mean that all of them are like that.     I'm not sure if you're only talking about mediumship though or speaking generally about psychism as a whole.

IP Logged

Darryl Forests

ALK Member

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:49pm

heisenberg69 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 5:14pm:
Hi Darryl,

can you give the sources who have exposed Flint, Piper and Home as frauds.

Thanks.

The information is a click away on the internet. Spiritualists have no interest in the evidence which shows their mediums were convicted of fraud.

See the books by the magicians Joseph Rinn, Joseph Dunninger and Milbourne Christopher etc which expose the tricks of mediums.

The books by Joseph McCabe and Edward Clodd expose the tricks of the mediums I mentioned. You can find them free online.

I also recommend the book Psychic Mafia by M. Lamar Keene. Keene was a fraudulent medium who duped his séance sitters for over 40 years. His book is a confession of the tricks he used. In the book he explains the tricks of both mental and physical mediums.

IP Logged

Darryl Forests

ALK Member

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:54pm

Quote:

I have no problem with ESP or telepathy, I believe in them. I have no problem with psychics. I oppose mediumship. These people lie when they claim to communicate with the dead. All mediumship is fraud. If spirits exist, anyone should be able to see them. Mediumship is a scam. I have spent over $2000 on the spiritualist literature and have been to countless séances and exposed their tricks. I have studied the field extensively and it is all fraud. There is no such thing as a "clean" honest medium. They all cheat.

IP Logged

AH1976

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Midlands, UK
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:09pm

Darryl Forests wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 2:54pm:
Quote:

I have no problem with ESP or telepathy, I believe in them. I have no problem with psychics. I oppose mediumship. These people lie when they claim to communicate with the dead. All mediumship is fraud. If spirits exist, anyone should be able to see them. Mediumship is a scam. I have spent over $2000 on the spiritualist literature and have been to countless séances and exposed their tricks. I have studied the field extensively and it is all fraud. There is no such thing as a "clean" honest medium. They all cheat.

Can you really say that? isn't that like saying "there is no such thing as an innocent prisoner" or "there is no such thing as an honest politician", it's an assumption based on our own beliefs and expectations. However I would like to understand the methodology behind you're studies and tests.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 5:18pm

'I have studied the field extensively and it is all fraud. There is no such thing as a "clean" honest medium. They all cheat. '

Darryl-

logically the above statement can only be true if you have tested all mediums ! I don't think any rational person would say all self-proclaimed  mediums are genuine but to say they are all categorically frauds is another matter. The tricks of phoney psychics - 'cold' reading, 'hot' reading etc. are well known but the interesting cases are those which preclude such cheap tricks. Decent investigators such as Julie Beischel of the Windbridge Institute and Robertson and Roy of Glasgow University know how fraud takes place and control for those tricks. For example by using proxy sitters 'cold' reading can be eliminated as an explanation. Of course successful readings could be down to psi/telepathy but that's another story ... 

To my knowledge Flint, Piper and Home have never been exposed as frauds by people with first-hand experience of them i.e sitters but of course others are free to speculate how they may have done it !

IP Logged

Darryl Forests

ALK Member

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:01pm

Quote:
To my knowledge Flint, Piper and Home have never been exposed as frauds by people with first-hand experience of them i.e sitters but of course others are free to speculate how they may have done it !

Piper was exposed as a fraud by three psychologists who had many sitters with her. G. Stanley Hall had proven by psychological tests that her "spirit" controls were herself. And the psychologist Joseph Jastrow discovered some of her trances were fake. She was conscious during them and did cold reading.

Leslie Flint was caught with cheesecloth in one of his séances. He was also caught in fraud by William Rauscher and Allen Spraggett who discovered the spirit voices were not coming independent of him, and they sounded nothing like the deceased "spirits" they were supposed to be, they all sounded like Flint.

There isn't a single "clean" medium on record.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 2:52am

Darryl Forests wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:01pm:
Quote:

Piper was exposed as a fraud by three psychologists who had many sitters with her. G. Stanley Hall had proven by psychological tests that her "spirit" controls were herself. And the psychologist Joseph Jastrow discovered some of her trances were fake. She was conscious during them and did cold reading.

Leslie Flint was caught with cheesecloth in one of his séances. He was also caught in fraud by William Rauscher and Allen Spraggett who discovered the spirit voices were not coming independent of him, and they sounded nothing like the deceased "spirits" they were supposed to be, they all sounded like Flint.

Thanks Darryl I will check it out.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:29am

Darryl Forests wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 10:01pm:
Quote:

Darryl-

leaving aside Home  (who you don't mention) I've been looking at the Leonora Piper case again. The first thing to say is that it is important to take a balanced perspective i.e. neither an overly credulous or dogmatic, sceptical one. You mention G. Stanley Hall who I would say came in the second category. According to Deborah Bloom's 'Ghost Hunters' - ' Hall made it clear that he had never intended to find out whether Mrs Piper could communicate with spirits. That concept belonged " more to the troglodyte age than our own " His interest was in debunking her once and for all: " Seriously to investigate the problem of whether discarnate ghosts can suspend any of the laws of matter seems to me not only bad form for any and every scientific man, but an indication of a strange psychic rudiment .... that ought to be outgrown like the prenatal tail or gills " (p.303). In other words Hall had already made up his mind before he had met her ! He did however find to his surprise by dipping camphor into her mouth (leaving bad blisters) and an esthesiometer ( leaving her with a damaged hand ) that Piper's trances were no fakes (p.304).

The fact is that many previously-sceptical investigators such as William James and  Richard Hodgson became convinced that she had real mediumistic abilities. She was able to provide information not available by normal means (e.g. 'cold' or 'hot' reading) on multiple occasions.They went to great lengths, such as using a private detective to trail her, to ascertain it. Whether her controls were who they claimed to be or if the information was gleaned via telepathy they were unable to definitively say, but there is little reasonable doubt that paranormality was involved and thus Leonora Piper was no fraud.

I find it strange that sceptics are only too willing to accept the claims of debunkers without questioning the integrity and motivations of the debunkers themselves. To my mind this it is like accepting uncritically the testimony of a witness in a court of law when that witness could be the plaintiff's mother !

IP Logged

Darryl Forests

ALK Member

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:39am

Quote:
The fact is that many previously-sceptical investigators such as William James and  Richard Hodgson became convinced that she had real mediumistic abilities. She was able to provide information not available by normal means (e.g. 'cold' or 'hot' reading) on multiple occasions.

I always hear this, but it isn't entirely correct. Firstly William James ended up rejecting the mediumship of Piper. In fact there's even a quote where James went as far as claiming the "spirit" controls of Piper were complete nonsense. This has not been widely cited.

Even the psychical researchers who believed Piper was genuine admitted that her "spirit" controls were bogus and attributed her powers to ESP. Most psychical researchers have rejected the spirit hypothesis.

Richard Hodgson was never a skeptic. He was a convinced believer in mental mediumship and even claimed to contact spirits himself. Once again this has not been widely reported. Spiritualist publications claim he was a skeptic debunker, he wasn't. It's true that he was a critic of Theosophy, but he always believed in mental mediumship. The day his cousin died, he even claimed to see her spirit.

If you look at two of the psychologists who studied Piper. G. Stanley Hall and Amy Tanner both used psychological tests on Piper and discovered that her "spirit" controls were nonsense.

Hall invented a purely fictitious niece called Bessie Beals and asked Piper's "spirit control" to get in touch with it. Bessie appeared, answered questions and accepted Dr. Hall as her uncle. Wink

When Richard Hodgson died, Piper claimed to channel the spirit of him. Even William James wrote that this was one of Piper's mistakes as the spirit sounded nothing like the real Hodgson at all. His personality and the things he said were the complete opposite of himself.

What you need to do is read the book by Dr. Ivor Lloyd Tuckett. He's written over 70 pages on the mediumship of Piper in his book in a chapter called "The mediumship of Mrs. Piper". If you read that chapter there should be no doubt in your mind she was a fraud. All the evidence is listed. No spiritualist has ever been able to respond to it. You can find it online here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/evidenceforsuper00tuckrich#page/320/mode/2up

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:58am

Darryl Forests wrote on Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:39am:
Quote:
The fact is that many previously-sceptical investigators such as William James and  Richard Hodgson became convinced that she had real mediumistic abilities. She was able to provide information not available by normal means (e.g. 'cold' or 'hot' reading) on multiple occasions.

I always hear this, but it isn't entirely correct. Firstly William James ended up rejecting the mediumship of Piper. In fact there's even a quote where James went as far as claiming the "spirit" controls of Piper were complete nonsense. This has not been widely cited.

Even the psychical researchers who believed Piper was genuine admitted that her "spirit" controls were bogus and attributed her powers to ESP. Most psychical researchers have rejected the spirit hypothesis.

Richard Hodgson was never a skeptic. He was a convinced believer in mental mediumship and even claimed to contact spirits himself. Once again this has not been widely reported. Spiritualist publications claim he was a skeptic debunker, he wasn't. It's true that he was a critic of Theosophy, but he always believed in mental mediumship. The day his cousin died, he even claimed to see her spirit.

If you look at two of the psychologists who studied Piper. G. Stanley Hall and Amy Tanner both used psychological tests on Piper and discovered that her "spirit" controls were nonsense.

Hall invented a purely fictitious niece called Bessie Beals and asked Piper's "spirit control" to get in touch with it. Bessie appeared, answered questions and accepted Dr. Hall as her uncle. Wink

When Richard Hodgson died, Piper claimed to channel the spirit of him. Even William James wrote that this was one of Piper's mistakes as the spirit sounded nothing like the real Hodgson at all. His personality and the things he said were the complete opposite of himself.

What you need to do is read the book by Dr. Ivor Lloyd Tuckett. He's written over 70 pages on the mediumship of Piper in his book in a chapter called "The mediumship of Mrs. Piper". If you read that chapter there should be no doubt in your mind she was a fraud. All the evidence is listed. No spiritualist has ever been able to respond to it. You can find it online here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/evidenceforsuper00tuckrich#page/320/mode/2up

Thanks, will do !

IP Logged

Darryl Forests

ALK Member

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 6:13pm

I am moving to new Zealand tomorrow, so I won't be online anymore and will never post on here again. But good luck with your research.

This is a good book that documents mediumship fraud:

http://archive.org/stream/isspiritualismba00mccarich#page/n3/mode/2up

All the best.

Forests.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.