Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Lord's Prayer (Read 3004 times)
rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
The Lord's Prayer
May 1st, 2017 at 3:18pm

Some of you may recall that an ex-member, 1796 aka crossbow, mentioned how important this prayer is, and that it's far more complex and contains more meaning, than many people realize.

Like many others, I spent years in church on Sunday dutifully repeating it almost by rote, not giving much, if any, thought about what the words meant.

Just as one example, these words in one version: "thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.." I've been pondering  what this means.  Will, as in direction by God? Or as in activities?

Does this prayer really contain everything that we need to express when praying? I silently say this before going to bed but I can't help but think that it's not enough. But then I also remind myself that God already knows my inner thoughts and needs. So I just ask Him to help me remove the stumbling blocks within myself that interfere with living a God centered life. And I am acutely aware that intent without action is empty.

R

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Re: The Lord's Prayer
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2017 at 3:53pm

The following explanation helped me understand the meaning of the Lord's prayer:

Our Father, Who art in heaven

We start this prayer by professing our core religious belief that God is our heavenly Father—the one who is all knowing and all powerful. Notice that Jesus didn’t instruct us to say, “My Father” but stressed “Our Father.” Scripture scholar John Meier explains that in God’s kingdom, we don’t live as isolated individuals but “we experience God’s fatherhood as members of the church, the family of Jesus the Son.” This reminds us that we recognize all those around us as children of God and treat them accordingly.

Hallowed be Thy Name

Hallowed is another word for holy or sanctified. When we say “hallowed be Thy name,” we are not only telling God “I recognize that you are holy,” but more importantly, we’re asking that His name be recognized by everyone throughout the world as being the ultimate holy power—that one day (sooner rather than later) all will know Him to be righteous, powerful, and everyone’s one true God.

Thy Kingdom come

This petition has a two-fold meaning. First, we are asking that God’s kingdom (where there’s only goodness, honesty, and love for one another) surround us in our everyday life. Secondly, we are praying for the fulfillment of the Lord’s promise that He will return at the end of time and grant us eternal life.

Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven

We pray these words asking for God’s grace to move us to do His will throughout our life. That means doing all the things that will please our Father—even the difficult things, whether it’s something big such as moving an elderly parent into our home or volunteering our time once a week at the soup kitchen, to something as small as giving up a parking space or not calling a best friend to spread some juicy gossip. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops says, “In committing ourselves to [Christ], we can become one spirit with him, and thereby accomplish his will…”

Give us this day our daily bread

Here we’re recognizing that all things we need come to us from God. We’re asking that God continue to give us not only the food we need for nourishment, but also the Bread of Life, the Eucharist.

And forgive us our trespasses,
 as we forgive those who trespass against us

This is a tough one. It may be easy for us to ask God to forgive us our “trespasses” or sins, but God in his infinite wisdom teaches us that in order for Him to forgive our wrongdoings, we must first forgive those who’ve hurt us. God isn’t being difficult, rather He’s teaching us that when there is bitterness and anger in our hearts, there’s no room for His love to fill our hearts. How can we ask God to be merciful and forgive our sins, if we’re holding a grudge or refuse to forgive someone who’s wronged us? Forgiving someone is often easier said than done. Only God can give us the strength to do it through prayer.

And lead us not into temptation,

Temptation and sin go hand in hand. When we come face to face with temptation, it can sometimes be difficult to resist. That’s why we need our Father to set up the road blocks and lead us far from the path of temptation.

But deliver us from evil.

Evil is an unfortunate reality in our world. The devil is always trying to tempt us and makes it his full-time job to look for ways to steer us from the right path and onto the wrong one. The devil has no power over God and when we pray to God for protection against all that is evil, He will shield us— always.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2017 at 3:56pm

The Lord's Prayer was not originally intended as a prayer for regular liturgical recitation in church.   Yet in the churches I have pastored, the people wanted such recitation, so I led them in this at the end of my pastoral prayers.  In fact, the prayer is intended as a model.  Jesus says, "Pray then like this."   To understand how it functions as a model, its components need to be carefully analyzed.  I will offer my analysis over time on this thread.

There are 3 more important issues; (1) What is prayer anyway, and why is it so essential?  (2) What are the prayer principles that make prayer effective?  (3) What should you say and not say, do and not do during your prayers?  "Prayer warriors" and regular folks in great need often spend long periods of time in prayer.  When they do, they typically get frustrated because they inevitably run out of things to say, often repeat themselves, and pray as if God needs the information.  In Matthew 6:6-8 Jesus warns against this habit! 

When I was a pastor, we would have ministerial prayer meetings and would take turns praying out loud.  It was evident that pastors were uncomfortable with prolonged silence.   It was as if they felt nothing was happening during silent prayer!  The offensive result was that many of their prayers seemed unconsciously addressed to the other pastors rather than to God.  Prayers became disguised sermons and admonitions for our benefit.  Phrases were used like "Lord, you know that.." (points that the rest of us presumably needed to be reminded of!) or "Lord, you promised in your Word" (A Bible passage is then  quoted with chapter and verse, as if inform God of something He had forgotten!) .  The net effect was that some pastors avoided these prayer sessions just for just these reasons---and I  felt that most of our prayer sessions were ineffective.

I will repeat 2 suggestions I made in another post.
(1) We need to learn how to "pray in the Spirit (Ephesians 6:18)."  I learned how the herd way and it changed my life. 
(2) Richard Foster, a Quaker, is an expert on prayer and its history.  He has written 2 profound books on Christian spirituality: "The Celebration of Discipline" and "Prayer."  The 2nd book has chapters on 22 different types of prayer.  Most believers are aware of just 3--praise, thanksgiving, and petitions.  It stands to reason that mystery of each type can enhance the effectiveness of one's total prayer discipline.  I encourage readers to google the reviews of these 2 books and their table of contents on Amazon book reviews.

Perhaps this thread should be relocated under "Religions and their Beliefs."  I'll leave that to Bruce's discretion. We should probably restrict this thread to the role of the Lord's Prayer as a model and then begin new threads to address important tangential issues.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:58pm

As a model, the Lord's Prayer makes several points.  In this post, I will restrict myself to its first practical applilcation:

(1) The prayer recommends a balance between presuming a very personal intimate connection with God and experiencing justifiable fear and awe in God's presence.  The Aramaic "abba" can be translated "Dad" and invokes the image of a young trusting child sitting on its Dad's lap, innocently making requests in the knowledge that Dad is eager to please, but will keep the child's best interests in mind.  But this image creates the danger of presumption in far too casual prayers in which we act as if God is our predictable "pal,"  The other side of the contrast ("Hallowed by Thy name") literally means "let your name be reserved for special reverence" (awe, fear) and acknowledges that God is ultimately far too complex to be reduced to anthropomorphic categories and that human "ways" and "thoughts" are far from the equivalent of divine "ways" and thoughts (Isaiah 55:7-8)."  Authentic experience of divine presence evokes "fear" and "awe" because it makes one aware of both unimaginable power and our ignorance of how God may use that power in ways that shock us.  For example, n my most precious experience of divine presence, I was both bathed in an increasingly intensified wave after wave of liquid love, and yet, was at one point terrified at the feeling that my small ego was about to be absorbed and extinguished in divine mind!  The Bible warns us that "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 1:7).

The need for this balancing act underlies God's foundational Self-disclosure to Moses at the burning Bush (Exodus 3:14).  Moses asks for God's name, but (as often happens in the OT) God evades this request.  Instead, God offers the phrase "I Am Who I am," more practically translated, as "I will be whatever I will be."  In other words, a single name can't capture my essence; so a vaguer and more flexible name is more accurate.  To paraphrase: "I will be whatever I will be to you, but I reserve the right to communicate differently through the myths and rituals of other cultures.  It is best for you know my by my gracious acts in your behalf (e. g. the exodus out of Egypt and the miraculoud Reed Sea crossing)."  Thus, later when Israel neglects social justice and feels uniquely entitled about their exclusive relationship with God, God warns:

"Are you not like the Ethiopians to me, O people of Israel, says the Lord?  Did I not bring you up from the land of Egypt, but also the Philistines from Caphtor (= Crete) and the Arameans from Kir (=modern Iraq--Amos 9:7)."    

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2017 at 6:32pm

(2) The next petition is "Thy kingdom come."  In Jesus' language (Aramaic), the word for "kingdom" means both "reign" and "realm."  So before we offer our petitions, we  should pray that God's reign will be brought into our midst to rule over our situations.  Since God's "realm" is nonspatial, it can be present in another dimension invisble to our eyes.  But its present is not automatic; the right atmosphere must be created to draw it near (Luke 18:20-21).  In Luke 5:17 Luke tells us that on one occasion 'the power of the Lord was with Him to heal."  The implication is that the Lord's healing power is not always present.  For example, it is not present in Jesus' hometown and Jesus' bombs in His efforts there to heal (Mark 6:5-6)!  There is simply too much negative energy in Nazareth at the time. 

In my younger years, I visited a room in an Anglican retreat center to eventually meet with a spiritual director. The room was very plain--a bed, a simple, desk and chair; and yet, the atmosphere was permeated with a sense of holy presence.  I attribute this to all the reverent meditation that had occurred in that room. 

When I visited the Virgin Mary's house near Ephesus, the sense of God's presence was more palpable than at Jesus' alleged tomb in Jerusalem.  When a young woman behind me, entered that single room, she was so overcome with awe that she collapsed to her knees.  According to our Muslim guide, the nearby spring channeled healing power; and indeed, a member of my church (Dick) bottled the water from an adjacent tap and poured it on his badly arthritic knee with torn tendons that needed surgery.  Dick was instantly healed (later confirmed by tests performed by the top orthopedic surgeon in Spokane!). 

I have friends who visited John Wesley's bedroom in England and saw the little study off to the side where he prayed for hours each day.  They were overwhelmed by the sense of God's presence emanating from that room, the place where Wesley's prayers brought the great Methodist awakening of the 18th century that transformed Britain.

Some of you have watched the videos posted on my revival thread.  If you have, you know that Evan Roberts and William Seymour drew so close to the Lord through hours of prayer that their very presence brought an outpouring of the Spirit that changed the lives of countless lives who were exposed to their presence and the nearby environment. 

If we want our petitionary prayer to be answered, we are well advised to work at creating an atmosphere conducive to faith and sense of divine presence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.