Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Emanuel Swedenborg's revelations (Read 43152 times)
Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Re: Emanuel Swedenborg's revelations
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 11:08am

How did Jesus know about the things he knew about? It could be that he wasn't afraid to communicate with the spirit realm of being.

Yes, there are unfriendly beings out there, and apparently a number of people (e.g.; some channelers) get fooled by such beings, but that doesn't mean that nobody should make contact with the world of spirit.

Say a person wants to open up to divine love. In order to do so such a person will have to open up to the level of being where love-based spirit beings abide.  Even if a person doesn't have some sort of communication with such beings, this doesn't mean that such beings aren't there.

Is it okay to pray? Is it okay to receive help? Is it okay if somebody feels love and peace when he or she prays? If so, where does such love and peace come from?

Sure unfriendly beings can fool people, but so can books that supposedly have words that come from love-based beings. So a person always needs to use his (or her) discrimination, regardless of whether or not he makes conscious contact with spirit beings.

Plus, unfriendly beings are able to influence people even if people don't make conscious contact with them.  If you make conscious contact with them, you are more likely to see where unfriendly suggestions come from and refute them.  On the other hand, if a person is committed to being a good person, he or she can do well without making conscious contact.

I used to be afraid of unfriendly beings. This hurt me spiritually and made it difficult for me to open up to my spirit self, its connection to God and divine love. Nevertheless, I ventured "up" the route of communicating with spirit beings, and through a mixture of actual experiences with unfriendly beings and simulated experiences that my guidance created, I overcame most of my fear. I  say "most" as opposed to all, because the negativity unfriendly beings represent is unpleasant.

Because I did the above I am able to help with retrievals in a way that includes helping people that are  troubled by unfriendly beings. 

If we allow unfriendly beings to determine what we open up to spiritually, then we allow them to determine how much we grow spiritually. A part of opening up to God and the Oneness we are all a part of, is not being afraid of anything. Because we have free will and grace is always present, we'll always be okay as long as we choose wisely.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #31 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:15pm

There is a difference between us humans and Jesus, who was God incarnate. Christ had direct communion with the heavenly Father in a way that no human can, as he was essentially one with the Father, and according to the Bible, we are separated in our sin. There is good reason why God does not want us contacting the spirit world through occult means.

There is also a difference between God and God's angels making contact with humans as part of God's divine plan, and humans attempting to make contact with disincarnate spirits through occult means as part of their sinful ego's plan.

It's not a matter of being fearful of deceptive spirits. It's a matter of loving God enough to follow his word.

Deuteronomy 18:9-14

When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.  Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-sorcery.html

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #32 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:12pm

Dude:

Do you actually believe that God finds people detestable simply because they try to contact spirits with good intentions? Surely God can see into our hearts and know our intentions. Would he prefer us to act in a way that is courageous, or in a way that is fear based?

The Bible wasn't written by God himself. It was written by numerous men, men decided which chapters will be included, and men did the translating. There is more than one version of the Bible and numerous Christian denominations.

I believe I was correct the other day when I said that it seems as if you tend to be an extremist. I don't believe you are doing yourself a favor by following a path that seems so literal and fear based.

Moses was the author of Deuteronomy. Elsewhere within the Bible it says that Moses was told by God that when a lady gives birth to a son she is impure for four weeks and should stay away from others and sacrifice several animals (I don't remember which animals were named). If a lady gives birth to a girl, she is impure for 8 weeks and should sacrifice other types of animals. Do you believe that Moses actually received instructions from God, or perhaps he claimed to do so, and provided his own rules, or rules from whatever?

I love God to an extent where I will not allow myself to conclude that he gave instructions to people that don't make sense. Since my reasons for thinking in such a way are pure, I doubt that God finds me detestable.

Seriously, read everything Moses wrote with a mind that is free to discriminate, and see if everything he said seems acceptable.

I Am Dude wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:15pm:
There is a difference between us humans and Jesus, who was God incarnate. Christ had direct communion with the heavenly Father in a way that no human can, as he was essentially one with the Father, and according to the Bible, we are separated in our sin. There is good reason why God does not want us contacting the spirit world through occult means.

There is also a difference between God and God's angels making contact with humans as part of God's divine plan, and humans attempting to make contact with disincarnate spirits through occult means as part of their sinful ego's plan.

It's not a matter of being fearful of deceptive spirits. It's a matter of loving God enough to follow his word.

Deuteronomy 18:9-14

When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.  Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-sorcery.html

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #33 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:08pm

Albert,

Yes, I agree with you.  During the council of Nicea, the main chapters for the NT were chosen and many gospels and texts which HAD been thought of the word of God were dismissed as not being worthy or essential - by men.  Constantine and others needed to consolidate the dozens of gospels, testaments, etc. into an essential text. 

My alarms and red flags go up when I try to have a discussion and I get scripture quoted to me, which does not acknowledge any discussion.  JC's parables and teachings were about love, love of God (what is good and what is true) and love of the neighbor.  The passages given as warnings against false prophets, mediums, etc. were for a purpose, not doubt.  But they were few and far between. 

I believe the warnings are for people to put their faith in God, and not in a substitute (medium, channeled spirit).  The thing that concerns me about this thread is that some Christians see themselves as separate from the divine.  For that reason, they need scripture to tell them what is divine - but in doing so, they separate themselves even more from the divine.  Jesus told his disciples that they can do what he did, and that following his path (of love) they can become what he became (one with the Father, love and heaven).  The idea then that one should feel unworthy of this is sad to me.  The notion of man being born in sin, and hellfire without following dictates written in the Bible is a fear based approach to God's love.  It doesn't work.  Well it works, but for the wrong reasons.

If a person follows the laws not because he incorporates the spirit of the gospels into his heart, but because he feels he is a damned sinner and has no other hope of redemption, then he/she is acting in the right way for the wrong reasons.

I would rather find the insight of the gospels that love is our nature.  That we are all one, and that God's love is our foundation.  That we are not sinners, but but part of a greater whole of consciousness.  In doing so, i feel that I will follow right action from my heart, not out of fear.

M

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #34 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:19pm

I think there are very good reasons for God's laws, some of which it seems you have yet to consider. I also think that a person following his own way would consider what you've said to be courageous, while one following God's word may consider it foolish or shortsighted.

You can make this a personal thing and call me extremist, although from my perspective, I'm simply a guy who likes to do things the right way and give his all. You are mistaken to think that what I've said has anything to do with fear, although I've already explained that and you seem to have ignored it.

Anyone familiar with the many cases of negative, if not downright horrendous, life-ruining consequences of messing around in the spirit world understands the reason why our Heavenly Father forbids such a thing. Most cases may not even be realized for what they truly are due to the extremely deceptive nature of Satan and his crew and how blind a person can be when their ego is being gratified by such mystical experiences and one's attachments to such things is so strong.

By the way, the Counsel of Nicea myth has long been debunked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLtcREw5TJ8

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 10:27pm

Oh, come on Dude. Tell me about the life threatening experiences you have had while phasing. There is no such thing. It is all one's own fear in one's own face.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #36 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 11:21pm

Do a little research into demonic attacks and possession. It's quite real. As for me, I've had my share of experiences which would deter any sane individual from continuing astral projection.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #37 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 2:21am

Vincent,

The events of Nicea have not been written down precisely.  However over time, biblical texts were chosen for the NT.  Biblical scholars argue over the time of the writing of some of the gospels.  You can research this as you see fit (i.e. - the consensus as to when each of the gospels was, in fact written).  My point isn't to question faith, but rather the acknowledgement that there was an agreement as to what was and wasn't going to be included in the canon at different points in time.

Most scholars believe the Gospel of Matthew was composed between AD 80 and 90, with a range of possibility between AD 70 to 110 (a pre-70 date remains a minority view). 

The gospel of Mark "was probably written c.AD 66–70, during Nero's persecution of the Christians in Rome or the Jewish revolt, as suggested by internal references to war in Judea and to persecution."

As to the choosing of scripture to include in the NT:  In the Synod of 397 (a good source to research),

"The primary source of information about the third council of Carthage comes from the Codex Canonum Ecclesiĉ Africanĉ, which presents a compilation of ordinances enacted by various church councils in Carthage during the fourth and fifth centuries. In one section of this code the following paragraph concerning the canon of Scripture appears

"It was also determined that besides the Canonical Scriptures nothing be read in the Church under the title of divine Scriptures. The Canonical Scriptures are these: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua the son of Nun, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, two books of Paraleipomena, Job, the Psalter, five books of Solomon, the books of the twelve prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezechiel, Daniel, Tobit, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, two books of the Maccabees. Of the New Testament: four books of the Gospels, one book of the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen Epistles of the Apostle Paul, one epistle of the same [writer] to the Hebrews, two Epistles of the Apostle Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude, one book of the Apocalypse of John. Let this be made known also to our brother and fellow-priest Boniface, or to other bishops of those parts, for the purpose of confirming that Canon. Because we have received from our fathers that those books must be read in the Church. Let it also be allowed that the Passions of Martyrs be read when their festivals are kept."

I can understand the concept that the teachings of Jesus, the gospels, demonstrate God's love and  for all to see and follow.  Since the NT was written and arranged by man, I'm not sure that quoting scripture as if each line were written by an anthropomorphic God for us to obey or not at our own peril makes any sense (to me).  Again, I see that as a fear based approach (not your own personal approach, but the approach of "do as it says here or be damned.")

I do respect your own experience with astral travel and negative entities.  I don't doubt that negative entities exist.  However, a blanket statement that due to your reading of scripture, all spiritual contact should be avoided and is likely demonic is unsubstantiated, although interesting.  I don't think one can dismiss the likes of Swedenborg, Monroe, and other explorers so easily.

M

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #38 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:17am

I Am Dude wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 11:21pm:
Do a little research into demonic attacks and possession. It's quite real. As for me, I've had my share of experiences which would deter any sane individual from continuing astral projection.

http://reasonsforjesus.com/astral-projection-exposed/

I have long told of the very real dangers of astral projection, in my case my consciousness twice ended up in the body of another person which was very very frighting

There is a form of OOBE and that is in death, in which we leave our bodies for the final time and take on glorious eternal spirit bodies fabricated by the Almighy to last forever.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:32am by Alan McDougall »  

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Reply #39 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:31am

I Am Dude wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 11:21pm:

Hi I am not joking when I suggest you change your avatar name to Vincent and not OutofBody Dude. May God bless you as the knowledge of the Truth takes over ever facet of your being

Jesus was/is exactly who he said he was, which was not an adept but totally unique as part of the Godhead made manifest as a human being.

Alan

Alan

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

seagull
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 8:36am

Well, I am sorry if people have had such experiences and I really don't know what it has to do with a book written by numerous sources throughout history. I have never once seen anything of the sort. I have had so many interesting experiences over the years and not once have I been threatened or harmed by anything. In fact, I have always been free to leave any situation which was not of my choosing. There were times, however, that I did not realize that.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #41 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:01am

Vince,

There are many reasons why the Bible cannot be taken literally, but I think one very good reason is that it has been translated numerous times and much could have been lost in these translations.  For example the first English version was done by William Tyndale who was accused of willfully perverting the meaning of the scriptures, yet his work became the foundation of subsequent English versions.  For the Old Testament only later versions of manuscripts have survived, with the exception of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the texts of Isaiah and Habakkuk as well as a few fragments of other books, so the established versions were derived from text that were many centuries after the books were written. 

For the New Testament there are a large number of Greek manuscripts, some of which were only two or three centuries old and the revisions were based on Hebrew and Aramaic text from the early Christian era and revised by Jewish scholars from the sixth to ninth centuries.  Throughout the centuries there were likely copy errors, language errors such as vowel sounds were an issue, along with the meaning and understanding of the original languages.  In addition, much of the Old Testament was written in prophetic symbols and apocalyptic language.

While I do believe the Bible is more than classic literature or a historical document, I do not believe that it can be taken line for line in a literal manner, but must be seen as a whole; as a record of God revealing himself among men.  The one thread or theme that I believe ties the entire scripture together is God's promise to Abraham that he has been blessed to be a blessing, as we all are going forward. 

Kathy

PS Don, in several of his posts indicated that in the New Testament retrievals are discussed.  He also fully acknowledged the existence of evil spirits, yet never discouraged anyone from astral projection.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #42 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:03am

Alan that's a great website, I already had it saved in my bookmarks! Interesting idea about changing my name, I'll think it over. Thanks!

Doc, I had the idea that you were Jewish.

Of course it can't be proven that all spirit contact is demonic, but there is evidence that suggests a lot of it is, especially from a Christian perspective. Some get the idea that contact with demonic entities will result in becoming possessed like the exorcist movies, but it seems most demons have a more subtle and deceptive approach. Had this just been something written in the Bible with nothing in reality to back it up, I may have considered it to be a false teaching, but rather the evidence is overwhelming that there is a deceptive agenda unfolding. There was a time when I would have shunned this idea, but it's clear to me now.

Regarding the Bible, many doubts regarding its legitimacy seem to come from the false assumption that the Heavenly Father doesn't have the power to create a body of text that is in accord with his will and that He is unable or unwilling to exert influence in the minds and hearts of man. However, as this is a thread about Swedenborg, this part of the conversation may be verging off-topic, although being that Swedenborg himself was Christian, it was interesting to note that a lot of what he was doing was actually against his religion. But even he said that one should not trust what he had said regarding his communications with spirits and that great caution should be headed for one dabbling in such things, so I believe he may have understood the dangers.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Reply #43 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:52am

I Am Dude wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:03am:
Alan that's a great website, I already had it saved in my bookmarks! Interesting idea about changing my name, I'll think it over. Thanks!

Doc, I had the idea that you were Jewish.

Of course it can't be proven that all spirit contact is demonic, but there is evidence that suggests a lot of it is, especially from a Christian perspective. Some get the idea that contact with demonic entities will result in becoming possessed like the exorcist movies, but it seems most demons have a more subtle and deceptive approach. Had this just been something written in the Bible with nothing in reality to back it up, I may have considered it to be a false teaching, but rather the evidence is overwhelming that there is a deceptive agenda unfolding. There was a time when I would have shunned this idea, but it's clear to me now.

Regarding the Bible, many doubts regarding its legitimacy seem to come from the false assumption that the Heavenly Father doesn't have the power to create a body of text that is in accord with his will and that He is unable or unwilling to exert influence in the minds and hearts of man. However, as this is a thread about Swedenborg, this part of the conversation may be verging off-topic, although being that Swedenborg himself was Christian, it was interesting to note that a lot of what he was doing was actually against his religion. But even he said that one should not trust what he had said regarding his communications with spirits and that great caution should be headed for one dabbling in such things, so I believe he may have understood the dangers.

What puts some people off the bible is that it depicts the world and its people "warts and all" and not as they should be in an ideal world.

If you find the Old Testament hard to accept, remember this, Jesus came and in him was a new contact or agreement set up between man and God made, making the most of the Old Testament null and void.

Jesus once said to his disciples, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart all your soul and all your mind and love your neighbor as you love yourself. Jesus elaborated even further by stating if you do just that you have fulfilled both the law and the prophets (Meaning you have fulfilled all the conditions set out in the bible, by no less than Almighy God himself)

Also people get it wrong as far as the attributes of God are concerned. It is wrong to think that Gods has only one attribute, namely benevolence, because God allows evil to exist, so that we can freely choose to reject him or freely follow and love him. God wants companions not robots that will be forced into loving and accepting him.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #44 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:28am

Lights of Love wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:01am:
Vince,

There are many reasons why the Bible cannot be taken literally, but I think one very good reason is that it has been translated numerous times and much could have been lost in these translations.  For example the first English version was done by William Tyndale who was accused of willfully perverting the meaning of the scriptures, yet his work became the foundation of subsequent English versions.  For the Old Testament only later versions of manuscripts have survived, with the exception of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the texts of Isaiah and Habakkuk as well as a few fragments of other books, so the established versions were derived from text that were many centuries after the books were written. 

For the New Testament there are a large number of Greek manuscripts, some of which were only two or three centuries old and the revisions were based on Hebrew and Aramaic text from the early Christian era and revised by Jewish scholars from the sixth to ninth centuries.  Throughout the centuries there were likely copy errors, language errors such as vowel sounds were an issue, along with the meaning and understanding of the original languages.  In addition, much of the Old Testament was written in prophetic symbols and apocalyptic language.

While I do believe the Bible is more than classic literature or a historical document, I do not believe that it can be taken line for line in a literal manner, but must be seen as a whole; as a record of God revealing himself among men.  The one thread or theme that I believe ties the entire scripture together is God's promise to Abraham that he has been blessed to be a blessing, as we all are going forward. 

Kathy

PS Don, in several of his posts indicated that in the New Testament retrievals are discussed.  He also fully acknowledged the existence of evil spirits, yet never discouraged anyone from astral projection.

If you wish to debate the Bible, please make another thread. Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.