Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Regarding PUL etc (Read 9856 times)
Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Regarding PUL etc
May 1st, 2017 at 12:01pm

Bruce uses the acronym PUL, which means pure unconditional love. The way he spoke of it in his books seems to indicate that when he experienced it he experienced something quite powerful and wonderful. What he experienced is similar to what some near death experiences experience when they experience unconditional divine love.

As some of you know, I was involved with guru-based teachings back in the 1980s. Some gurus refer to themselves as "Self realized." This term is sometimes interchangeable with the term "God realized." Partly because of this usage, many guru followers believe they are with God when they are with their guru, even if their guru doesn't claim to be an avatar (direct incarnation of God).

Going by what I have found, gurus don't tend to be what they claim. Yet many of their followers experience divine love, peace, bliss and joy when they are with their gurus. Why? Partly because their excitement of being with what they believe to be an authentic representation of God  enables them open up to divine love,  even though their guru doesn't have the power to bestow grace as he claims.

There was one lady with the guru-based group I used to belong to that for the sake of conversation I'll call E. She was a very nice lady. Whenever you would interact with her you could tell that her love was genuine. If you looked at her as Satsang with the guru took place, you could tell that as she gazed at him, she was feeling a lot of love. While she was with the group she was certain that the guru of the group was enlightened to the extent he claimed.

About a year after I left the group their was a lot of turmoil within the group, and there was a mass exodus of the guru's followers. I spoke to E on the phone, and she was still a very love-based person. She no longer believed that the guru from the group we used to belong to was enlightened as he claimed to be. She told, "but you know Albert, the love was always real." I could tell that she really meant this.

It seems to me that divine love is available to us even when we have some false beliefs about the source of such love. This is a good thing because if we had to have  beliefs that are very accurate before we could experience divine love, a lot of people who experience it wouldn't get to do so.

Since divine love and wisdom are inseparable from each other, it seems interesting that we can experience divine love even when we have false concepts. Going by what some NDErs say, and other information, it doesn't seem that we could energetically handle experiencing divine love to the extent it is available, while we are incarnated in a body. This might partly explain why we can experience divine love without comprehending all of the wisdom it contains. Even when we experience divine love a lot, we don't experience it fully.

I believe it is possible to get in touch with the wisdom that comes from God. One key to doing so is seeing if our beliefs are in line with the love we feel. For example, if we believe that it is okay for a guru to allow himself to be treated in an adoring and worshipful way, we could ask ourselves if he is acting in a way that is in alignment with a level of love that includes humility, fullness without having to stand out, equality and oneness?

Another thing we could do is see if our viewpoints about God are in line with the understanding that God's love is perfect and is in line with perfect wisdom.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Regarding PUL etc
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:38pm

Quote:
It seems to me that divine love is available to us even when we have some false beliefs about the source of such love.

Yes, I agree with you Albert.  The love that we experience comes from within us, from our inner essence, or that which I consider to be our core connection to divine love, even though there are times where it may be falsely attributed to someone or something outside of ourselves.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2017 at 5:20pm

I figure love is both inside and outside of us.

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:06pm

I don't know why we even have the phrase PUL. As I've noted before, love doesn't need modifiers. If it's impure or if it's conditional, it's not love. It's something else, most likely an emotion.

I also don't think it's something we "have".  It's something we are. We can't send it because it's not a commodity, it's a state of being. Or to put it another way, it's God Himself.

R

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:35pm

rondele wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 6:06pm:
I don't know why we even have the phrase PUL. As I've noted before, love doesn't need modifiers. If it's impure or if it's conditional, it's not love. It's something else, most likely an emotion.

I also don't think it's something we "have".  It's something we are. We can't send it because it's not a commodity, it's a state of being. Or to put it another way, it's God Himself.

R

Exactly, and as we are made in the image of God, His love is a part of who we are.

The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love. And we have come to know and to believe the love that God has in us. God is love, and the one who resides in love resides in God, and God resides in him. John 4:8;16
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2017 at 7:54pm by I Am Dude »  

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2017 at 7:28pm

Hi Roger,

Yes, I agree love (PUL) is a state of being, but it is not static.  It moves… the spirit, or essence of God moves through us.  Whenever I have interacted with a being of light that being radiates the most beautiful, ineffable, yet tangible love.  I have also felt that same love up well from deep within me and radiate from me.  PUL is simply a way for us to describe the experience as being one where no judgment or ego exists.  It's more than an emotion, and actually it's different than a human emotion or feeling, but that's the ineffable part.  There's no adequate way for me to describe it other than to say it is like a tangible substance that is incredibly beautiful, but that description is incredibly deficient.

Can it be sent?  Yes, of course it can.  Love (PUL) is something that is given, even directed using our intent.  It is at the heart of what I consider to be the most effective type of prayer.  It is at the heart of all healing regardless of the modality.  It is not created by us, yet if we are clear, without judgment or ego, we are able to allow it to flow freely from within and through us and be given to another.

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2017 at 7:39pm

I tend to use the word love, but I have no problem with Bruce's usage of PUL.

Not everybody in this world is aware of unconditional love.  Some, for the most part, are only aware of conditional love and romantic love.

I believe Bruce wanted to indicate that he was speaking of something other than conditional or romantic love. For the sake of brevity he used PUL. I do not believe that he created this acronym with the thought that people wouldn't be expressions of  unconditional love when they spoke of it. I bet you that God has no problem with the term at all. I do not believe that God is looking for people who are subservient to him. He is looking for people who love everybody including Bruce, when he uses the term PUL. You really don't need to put down Bruce's terminology in order to validate the Bible.

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:13pm

Albert I was not trying to put down Bruce's terminology. If that's how you interpret my post, you might want to reexamine where that negativity comes from.

My point was that it's all too easy for people to confuse pul with an emotion. It's far deeper, whereas emotions come and go. The kind of love that is called pul is immutable. Without it we would not exist.

R

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #8 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:30pm

PS-

This explains the concept better than I

http://ourultimatereality.com/pure-unconditional-love.html

R

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #9 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:37pm

Roger:

I debated as to whether I should include the sentence that says "I do not believe that he created this acronym with the thought that people wouldn't be expressions of  unconditional love when they spoke of it." Including it was not a perfect decision, but I can't say that I completely regret doing so. When I wrote it I understood that you didn't have it in mind to attack Bruce. I figure Dude responded to what you wrote because he is anxious to speak to you and Don about the Bible.

On another thread Don made a comment that seemed to minimize the term PUL. Throughout the years some people have spoken of the term in an unfavorable way. They spoke as if it is a joke when people speak of sending PUL to other people. I agree with Kathy when she said that love can be sent to others. I believe it is best to not minimize the love-based experiences of other people.

In a way it seems strange that there are a few people on this forum that don't seem to have much interest in what Bruce wrote. It seems as if they have an interest in getting people to believe in the Bible to an extent where it becomes their number one if not sole guide. As Kathy indicated earlier, it is possible to make contact with beings of love and light while we are in this World. What would happen if a person who likes what Bruce wrote, went to a Christian forum and tried to get people to be followers of Bruce's work?

I don't know, but my guess is that God doesn't have a problem with Bruce doing the research he did and writing his books. It could be that what he wrote is what some people needed to read.

Perhaps since Bruce started this site, it would be good to give him some consideration at times. I don't claim to be a perfect forum participant. I figure that Bruce didn't start this site with the thought of people such as myself doing things such as speaking against ACIM.

Who knows, perhaps before some of us incarnated in this world, we made arrangements to speak on this forum. Our Disks got together and tried to determine what might be helpful.

rondele wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 8:13pm:
Albert I was not trying to put down Bruce's terminology. If that's how you interpret my post, you might want to reexamine where that negativity comes from.

My point was that it's all too easy for people to confuse pul with an emotion. It's far deeper, whereas emotions come and go. The kind of love that is called pul is immutable. Without it we would not exist.

R

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:22am

Consider the alleged application of PUL to spirit retrievals.  Over the years, I have read many retrieval reports on this site.  They read more like busting souls out of an astral jail than helping trapped souls evolve an upgraded character. The "jailbreak" model implies a higher heaven, in which like no longer attracts like; rather, morally undeveloped souls get to soar to that higher plane without regard to how well they fit in, simply because a retrieval brought them there.  with a more pure vibration.  I reject the notion that the soul to be retrieved empathizes or tunes in to a projected emotion of bliss an ecstasy that helps provide sufficient "escape velocity" to soar to a higher plane.  True retrievals first require progress in one's way of being, not immersion in PUL.  The word "pure" in PUL implies a contrast with various impurities, which reflect mixed motives and flawed agendas.--in other words an inferior way of being.

To be human is to be interdependent and human love evolves through a mutual meeting of needs and fulfillment of desires.  In that sense, human love is by definition conditional and has strings attached to it.   The only way such strings can be cut is by a gradual process of character development towards a way of being that loves with the same purity and intensity, regardless of how its target reacts to us and to the outside world.  We like to say, "I send you my love," but PUL cannot be "sent;" rather, its target perceives the loving acts and communication of the retrieval, and through them, the retriever's way of being.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:55am

I'm not sure that I agree that human love is conditional.  Well, I should clarify that sentence.  I believe that for many perhaps even most people it is conditional, but I would call that ego-related love where "mutual desires and needs" are met.  I believe that we can meet in a higher plane of love in relationships, where the love is given for the person just as they are, without expectation of reciprocity, and without our happiness being dependent on that reciprocity.  It is the difference between saying you love a flower and picking it to own it yourself,(and watching it wither), or to love and appreciate the flower for what it is, and watch it bloom, without the need to cut it off, covet it and stare at it. 

I do believe we can love others in an unconditional way; I'm not sure about projecting a "beam of love" per se, as opposed to just holding the person in our heart and mind in love, and by so doing allowing God's love and grace to flow from us to them (as a type of a prayer - per Don's discussion on the different methods to pray). 

With regard to retrievals, Don your point is well taken.  The idea that a person who enjoyed sadism or abusive behavior could be retrieved if they had not evolved to a higher way of being does not make much sense.  But Don, perhaps those people we are directed to retrieve by helpers have already made some or enough spiritual progress to move on from their current level?

M

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2017 at 10:27am

Don:

Consider what NDERs such as Howard Storm experienced. He had no interest in spirituality while in this world, but once he received help, he changed his ways quite quickly. It seems as if the love he experienced while Jesus helped him, was much more enticing than his previous ways. I've read of other NDEs where people changed their ways quite quickly. I don't mean they immediately became perfected beings,  but they ended up having a better understanding of where true fulfillment comes from. Plus, time works differently in the spirit world. Consider how many NDERs state that they experience things instantaneously.

Plus, when Bruce wrote of retrievals he didn't state that souls instantly become high level beings. He wrote that sometimes retrievals are a matter of helping a confused soul find its way out of a confused state of mind.  Sometimes additional spiritual growth is required after a soul leaves its confused state of mind. He wrote of souls being retrieved from lower realms, and then slipping back to a lower realm because some of their energetic causes them to slip back. It isn't an all or nothing process.

My retrieval experiences are different than the ones Bruce describes. I merge with the souls that need help. At first their energy feels negative. I tune into love and my connection to God as best as I can, and a cleansing process takes place. Gradually the energy that is felt becomes cleaner until it feels like love and peace. I have done this many times. It isn't a matter of the helped souls becoming perfect masters right away. It is a matter of their evolving in a more positive direction.

My understanding is that some of these souls are so locked in their darkness, that it isn't likely that they'll change their ways anytime soon, if at all. After they get cleansed of some of their negative energy and thought patterns, they are able to open up to love and light sufficiently enough so they can consider a more positive way.

To some degree it is a matter of remembering. We forget  who we are and where we come from when we incarnate in places this like this world. If we clean out the dross enough, we can remember.  This is similar to what some NDERs experience when they have an NDE. When I had what I refer to as my Night in Heaven experience, I remembered how things are in the world of spirit. I understood what our existence is really about.

TheDonald wrote on May 2nd, 2017 at 12:22am:
Consider the alleged application of PUL to spirit retrievals.  Over the years, I have read many retrieval reports on this site.  They read more like busting souls out of an astral jail than helping trapped souls evolve an upgraded character. The "jailbreak" model implies a higher heaven, in which like no longer attracts like; rather, morally undeveloped souls get to soar to that higher plane without regard to how well they fit in, simply because a retrieval brought them there.  with a more pure vibration.  I reject the notion that the soul to be retrieved empathizes or tunes in to a projected emotion of bliss an ecstasy that helps provide sufficient "escape velocity" to soar to a higher plane.  True retrievals first require progress in one's way of being, not immersion in PUL.  The word "pure" in PUL implies a contrast with various impurities, which reflect mixed motives and flawed agendas.--in other words an inferior way of being.

To be human is to be interdependent and human love evolves through a mutual meeting of needs and fulfillment of desires.  In that sense, human love is by definition conditional and has strings attached to it.   The only way such strings can be cut is by a gradual process of character development towards a way of being that loves with the same purity and intensity, regardless of how its target reacts to us and to the outside world.  We like to say, "I send you my love," but PUL cannot be "sent;" rather, its target perceives the loving acts and communication of the retrieval, and through them, the retriever's way of being.   

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2017 at 10:35am

rondele wrote on May 1st, 2017 at 8:30pm:
PS-

This explains the concept better than I

http://ourultimatereality.com/pure-unconditional-love.html

R

Roger, when I follow this link I get a warning from my anti-virus software that it is a known dangerous website.  Can you maybe paraphrase what it says?  I wouldn't recommend going there and clicking on any links.

Thanks,
Kathy

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2017 at 10:36am

Regarding what Doc said, I believing that living according to PUL isn't an all or nothing process. We do so to varying degrees. The more a person grows spiritually, the more a person does so.

Have you ever thought of speaking to a person, and then that person calls you on the telephone? Such instances could be the result of our being able to telepathically communicate with others at a level we aren't fully conscious of, while far away from each other. Perhaps love can be shared in a similar way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.