Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Body "recycle" & reincarnation (Read 17106 times)
Ambivalent
Ex Member

Re: Body "recycle" & reincarnation
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:06pm

What's the difference between the concept of a walk-in and a virgin birth? One concept makes you special, the other just makes sense.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:06pm

I find the concept of walk-ins rather interesting. It's not one that we've really discussed here before. I didn't view the video but I've been reading some literature online because of it being posted here.

The walk-in subject is so cumbersome to describe that it seems overly complicated in some ways. I don't recall ever reading about this from people who describe travels in and out of their bodies for other reasons, such as near death experiences.

Ambivalent, that's amusing. You seem to become less ambivalent by the day. Smiley

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:25pm

Albert, I think we all could benefit from cultivating a sense of humor and not taking things so serious.  Reminds me of times when my JW friend would come over with his Watchtower and Awake magazines and insisted on studying them together.  He was always so serious and even grim with the subtle warnings of what I would face if I didn't convert.

One day I told him that the thing that bothered me the most was the lack of joy in his message and in his dour demeanor.  One would think that if you possessed the "truth" and were one of God's chosen few, you'd be a bit more happy about it.

Regarding Jesus, I doubt he'd be upset about criticising new age stuff.  Seth, ACIM, Elias etc is hardly consistent with His teachings.

R

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:49pm

recoverer wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 4:51pm:
I don't agree with Don's usage of New Age Ghetto. It is disrespectful and lacking in humility to speak in such a way. Before a person preaches to others he should learn a little about respect and humility.

I bet you Jesus wouldn't poke fun at people and put them down with comments such as new age ghetto.

What's the point of knowing about Jesus if people don't know about love, humility and respect for others? A person who doesn't live in such a way might some day call out, "Save me Jesus," and Jesus will probably respond, "Why didn't you save yourself by loving your neighbor as yourself?"

I Am Dude wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
rondele wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 12:53pm:
<<Not even potheads.  Just residents of the "New-Age Ghetto.">>

Oh oh, I think Don just walked into Dude's body!  I was wondering where he went.

R

Haha you know, there was a time when I was extremely aversive to the expression.  Now I know exactly what Don was talking about.  Ideas such as the one presented in the OP are shining examples of the NAG mentality in action. 

Rondele, Don's spirit has finally left my body.  Strangely, I woke up to find bibles and crucifixes all over my house.  I'll have to donate them to the local church I suppose.

Albert, I agree that the term can be offensive, particularly to those who entertain beliefs associated with that mentality.  I didn't mean any offense in using it.  Perhaps "New Age Ignorance" would be a better fitting term.  I suppose the main problem with the expression is that it seems to lump all "new agers" into one category, when in reality, one can entertain certain new age beliefs in a way that is logical, intelligent, and based on real experience, in no way reflecting a "ghetto" mentality.  The term can even be seen as a bit racist, as a ghetto has more to do with the presence of minorities than it does ignorance.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:48pm

Roger:

Of course I don't know what Jesus would do, I'm just supposing. That said, he might speak critically of the sources you mentioned, but he would probably do so in a respectful way. He would choose such a way because within his heart he would cherish the people he is speaking to.

Regarding New Ageism, without getting into how much new ageism includes, I believe that there are a lot of well meaning and good hearted people who are involved with new age teachings. Not just for their own sake, but also because they want to make this world a better place.

As far as what parts of new age teachings are nonsense and which aren't, this isn't always easy to see. For example, I don't know anything about Astrology. I could be quick to dismiss it by saying "how could random constellations in the sky have the meaning some people state?" I won't though, partly because several people I know of that seem to have good discrimination, have found that there is some truth to Astrology.

rondele wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:25pm:
Albert, I think we all could benefit from cultivating a sense of humor and not taking things so serious.  Reminds me of times when my JW friend would come over with his Watchtower and Awake magazines and insisted on studying them together.  He was always so serious and even grim with the subtle warnings of what I would face if I didn't convert.

One day I told him that the thing that bothered me the most was the lack of joy in his message and in his dour demeanor.  One would think that if you possessed the "truth" and were one of God's chosen few, you'd be a bit more happy about it.

Regarding Jesus, I doubt he'd be upset about criticising new age stuff.  Seth, ACIM, Elias etc is hardly consistent with His teachings.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:52pm

Dude:

For the most part I believe it isn't the fault of new age people that questionable parts of new ageism exists. We all need time to develop discrimination. Perhaps the human race will reach the day where it isn't so easily fooled by the numerous misleading things that are out there, both new age and non-new age.

I Am Dude wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:49pm:
recoverer wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 4:51pm:
I don't agree with Don's usage of New Age Ghetto. It is disrespectful and lacking in humility to speak in such a way. Before a person preaches to others he should learn a little about respect and humility.

I bet you Jesus wouldn't poke fun at people and put them down with comments such as new age ghetto.

What's the point of knowing about Jesus if people don't know about love, humility and respect for others? A person who doesn't live in such a way might some day call out, "Save me Jesus," and Jesus will probably respond, "Why didn't you save yourself by loving your neighbor as yourself?"

I Am Dude wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
rondele wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 12:53pm:
<<Not even potheads.  Just residents of the "New-Age Ghetto.">>

Oh oh, I think Don just walked into Dude's body!  I was wondering where he went.

R

Haha you know, there was a time when I was extremely aversive to the expression.  Now I know exactly what Don was talking about.  Ideas such as the one presented in the OP are shining examples of the NAG mentality in action. 

Rondele, Don's spirit has finally left my body.  Strangely, I woke up to find bibles and crucifixes all over my house.  I'll have to donate them to the local church I suppose.

Albert, I agree that the term can be offensive, particularly to those who entertain beliefs associated with that mentality.  I didn't mean any offense in using it.  Perhaps "New Age Ignorance" would be a better fitting term.  I suppose the main problem with the expression is that it seems to lump all "new agers" into one category, when in reality, one can entertain certain new age beliefs in a way that is logical, intelligent, and based on real experience, in no way reflecting a "ghetto" mentality.  The term can even be seen as a bit racist, as a ghetto has more to do with the presence of minorities than it does ignorance. 

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 12:48am

I prefer to take responsibility for the path that I walk, and I feel that under normal circumstances, others should likewise be held accountable.  After all, the adoption of new age ideas is a choice, not something forced upon us.  The love and light philosophies of the new age bring many people comfort, and there are those who would prefer to convince/delude themselves of such ideas, partly because it allows them to bypass the otherwise difficult task of genuine self investigation and coming to terms with aspects of their reality that they would rather ignore.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 6:35am

recoverer wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
1796:
What if somebody insisted on calling you stupid as he tried to help you?
Would you continue to seek his help, or would you value yourself too much to do so?

I am stupid. For instance, I am not mentally dexterous.

Whatever I have to do. A man must do what he as to do, put up with what he has to put up with.

Everything in life is comparable to the alternative/s.

Quote:
For the most part I believe it isn't the fault of new age people that questionable parts of new ageism exists.

Whose fault is it then?

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 10:22am

Fortune cookie says: Every wise man started out by asking many questions.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:07pm

Without getting into it too much, I believe that new age teachings that are misleading come from those who seek to mislead.

I don't blame the people that are misled because we all need time to develop discrimination.

1796 wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 6:35am:
recoverer wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
1796:
What if somebody insisted on calling you stupid as he tried to help you?
Would you continue to seek his help, or would you value yourself too much to do so?

I am stupid. For instance, I am not mentally dexterous.

Whatever I have to do. A man must do what he as to do, put up with what he has to put up with.

Everything in life is comparable to the alternative/s.

Quote:
For the most part I believe it isn't the fault of new age people that questionable parts of new ageism exists.

Whose fault is it then?

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #25 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:08pm

Excellent point!

seagull wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 10:22am:
Fortune cookie says: Every wise man started out by asking many questions.

IP Logged

seagull

ALK Member

land sea sky
Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 4:35pm

That is an actual fortune cookie piece of paper that I ran across while moving objects around in my home today. I take no credit. It is reality revealing itself.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 9:40pm

recoverer wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:07pm:
Without getting into it too much, I believe that new age teachings that are misleading come from those who seek to mislead.
Oh, the lizard people, I presume?

Quote:
...I don't blame the people that are misled because we all need time to develop discrimination.

Recoverer, you don't define what you mean by discrimination. And you don't provide a context.

You occasionally use the word in a vague sentence, knowing its conflicting uses and connotations.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 9:53pm

Common usage by the left of the term "discrimination" is usually as a mindless put down.

We frequently hear lefties saying, "That's discrimination", as a thoughtless way of dismissing an idea they don't like, and as a meaningless insult to whoever put forward the idea.

From the left side of western institutions and organisations, particularly those influenced by social psychology, is frequently heard the assertion: "You must not discriminate." Along with their other favourite squawk, "You must not generalise".

In those fields of employment at the left end of the socio-industrial spectrum where one's personality and opinions are considered more important than one's ability to do the officially declared job, such as in the government funded social sciences and in the various streams of societal engineering, to accuse someone of discrimination is likely to trigger gossip that will lead to their dismissal. Even if they survive the dismissal attempt, the accusation will stick and they may be pressed out of their job by malicious passive aggression. This malicious usage of the word discrimination, as a weapon, occurs despite propagators being aware of its correct usage. 

Social psychology students and even primary school children get guilted into complying with thought restrictions by teachers frequently telling them, "That's wrong because that's discrimination". 

Discrimination gets hammered home in the social sciences, and in child and youth education as something we must not do, and if we do discriminate then we are a bad person. The accusation of discriminating is nearly always used vaguely, with no or little meaning other than it means "you're bad", so that just the sound of the word being levelled at oneself is enough to cause a student fear of failure and a worker fear of dismissal.   

However, the word discrimination is used differently in fields where truth and reality matter, than it is in those fields where what matters is manipulative power and control over people's opinions.

In fields such as mineralogy, biology, immunology, physics, and the development of artificial intelligence, and other genuine sciences, particularly in the private sector and at the right end of the socio-industrial spectrum where one's ability to do the declared job is more important than one's personal opinions, the word discrimination refers to a functional ability to differentiate and evaluate the differences between one item and another.

The discriminatory function may be quantum/atomic, molecular, cellular, mechanical, chemical, electronic, or any other.   

There is a distinction between the terms differentiate or discern, and discriminate.

The distinction between differentiate and discriminate is that to differentiate means to discern the existent difference between one thing and another, the two of which may be or may not be the same as each other. The term differentiate is therefore more a numerical and positional distinction than a qualitative one. For example, one may differentiate between two identical items.

To discriminate though, refers not only to the ability to discern different items, but also the ability to differentiate between the qualities of the different items discerned.

As an illustrative example, a prospector's metal detector can differentiate between there being two metallic items under the ground, and can also discriminate between which item is iron and which is gold. The distinction therefore is not only between there being one item and another, but also between their differences in quality. That is discrimination.

The word discrimination is used in this same regard in cognitive psychology, although quietly and only in some quarters, for there is a fundamental rift between cognitive and social psychology, and it is from social psychology that the push comes to demonise discrimination and to eliminate people's ability to exercise it.

In such quarters of cognitive psychology the term discriminate refers to the conscious ability to differentiate between one thing and another and to evaluate the differences between them.

Discrimination, therefore, in the cognitive sense, is not only the ability to differentiate between the existence of one thing and another, in number and position, but is also the ability to differentiate between and evaluate any existent qualities.

Discrimination by its ability to recognise degrees of similarity and difference, enables generalisation, which is the ability to recognise a discernable pattern within a majority.

Discrimination underpins intelligence, which is the ability to freely choose from discernable items.

The degree of fineness to which one can discriminate, and therefore generalise, is the measure of one's intelligence quotient or general intelligence factor (IQ/g). Intelligence is distinct from one's education and knowledge, for intelligence is the potential to be educated, and underlies what we are able to do with what we know.    

Without the ability to discriminate, intelligence cannot function. One becomes a manipulable automaton. 

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #29 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 10:38pm

1796:

I think most people know what discrimination is, so perhaps there wasn't a need to say all that you wrote. Smiley

Speaking of Lizard people (since you brought up the subject), perhaps I'm not using good discrimination when I share this--I'll go ahead and do so anyway.

A few weeks ago I was meditating one night and suddenly I saw a Reptilian-like being and he was wearing a hood. He looked very unfriendly and it felt as if he doesn't like me. This experience was interesting because I felt my awareness within my body and within the bridge of the Reptilian's space ship at the same time.

It could be that my oversoul created this experience for one of two reasons. One, in order to let me know that unfriendly Reptilian like beings do in fact interact with this world. Past information I received about unfriendly aliens didn't tend to specify Reptilians (two might've). This experience did.

Two, my Oversoul wanted to let me know that even if I did meet a Reptilian like being, it wouldn't be able to harm me, because in this case the being I met didn't.

Regarding the hallucination possibility, going by extensive past experience with supernatural things, I do not believe this was a hallucination. If it was a hallucinaton, I figure it would repeat in some way.

Back to options number one and two, option one seems more likely when compared to option two. Whether I actually interacted with a Reptilian, I'm not certain.

Even though there is some questionable information about Reptilians, some of it seems believable to me. If Reptilians do in fact interact with this world in a negative way, and we choose to not find out if this is so, we do them a favor.

1796 wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 9:53pm:
Common usage by the left of the term "discrimination" is usually as a mindless put down.

We frequently hear lefties saying, "That's discrimination", as a thoughtless way of dismissing an idea they don't like, and as a meaningless insult to whoever put forward the idea.

From the left side of western institutions and organisations, particularly those influenced by social psychology, is frequently heard the assertion: "You must not discriminate." Along with their other favourite squawk, "You must not generalise".

In those fields of employment at the left end of the socio-industrial spectrum where one's personality and opinions are considered more important than one's ability to do the officially declared job, such as in the government funded social sciences and in the various streams of societal engineering, to accuse someone of discrimination is likely to trigger gossip that will lead to their dismissal. Even if they survive the dismissal attempt, the accusation will stick and they may be pressed out of their job by malicious passive aggression. This malicious usage of the word discrimination, as a weapon, occurs despite propagators being aware of its correct usage. 

Social psychology students and even primary school children get guilted into complying with thought restrictions by teachers frequently telling them, "That's wrong because that's discrimination". 

Discrimination gets hammered home in the social sciences, and in child and youth education as something we must not do, and if we do discriminate then we are a bad person. The accusation of discriminating is nearly always used vaguely, with no or little meaning other than it means "you're bad", so that just the sound of the word being levelled at oneself is enough to cause a student fear of failure and a worker fear of dismissal.   

However, the word discrimination is used differently in fields where truth and reality matter, than it is in those fields where what matters is manipulative power and control over people's opinions.

In fields such as mineralogy, biology, immunology, physics, and the development of artificial intelligence, and other genuine sciences, particularly in the private sector and at the right end of the socio-industrial spectrum where one's ability to do the declared job is more important than one's personal opinions, the word discrimination refers to a functional ability to differentiate and evaluate the differences between one item and another.

The discriminatory function may be quantum/atomic, molecular, cellular, mechanical, chemical, electronic, or any other.   

There is a distinction between the terms differentiate or discern, and discriminate.

The distinction between differentiate and discriminate is that to differentiate means to discern the existent difference between one thing and another, the two of which may be or may not be the same as each other. The term differentiate is therefore more a numerical and positional distinction than a qualitative one. For example, one may differentiate between two identical items.

To discriminate though, refers not only to the ability to discern different items, but also the ability to differentiate between the qualities of the different items discerned.

As an illustrative example, a prospector's metal detector can differentiate between there being two metallic items under the ground, and can also discriminate between which item is iron and which is gold. The distinction therefore is not only between there being one item and another, but also between their differences in quality. That is discrimination. And it underpins intelligence, which is the ability to choose from discerned items.

Discrimination also enables generalisation, which is the ability to recognise a discernable pattern within a majority. Without the ability to discriminate, intelligence cannot function. One becomes a manipulable automaton.      

The word discrimination is used in this same regard in cognitive psychology, although quietly and only in some quarters, for there is a fundamental rift between cognitive and social psychology, and it is from social psychology that the push comes to demonise discrimination and to eliminate people's ability to exercise it.

In such quarters of cognitive psychology the term discriminate refers to the conscious ability to differentiate between one thing and another and to evaluate the differences between them.

Discrimination, therefore, in the cognitive sense, is not only the ability to differentiate between the existence of one thing and another, in number and position, but is also the ability to differentiate between and evaluate any existent qualities.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.