Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Nanci Danison's NDE (Read 119595 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Nanci Danison's NDE
Reply #120 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Yeah, right.  Wink I figure Source had to think quite a bit when it figured out how to create us and this universe. False concepts and attachments are a different thing than useful mind activity.

DocM wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:18pm:
Albert,

That is the core problem that unsettled me on me read of Tolle.  That both ego and mind/thinking are the enemy in modern society.  Being or presence if the goal for him, not active thought (unless I am misreading him).  Mind is a tool for the ego, and both are said to dissolve in the light of presence or just "being."  I found myself wanting to get more in tune with being and presence, but unsettled by his theory of mind being a "monstrosity" to human beings, and an enemy to spirituality or unity with Source.  But hey, he would just say that is my ego rebelling against its unreality, right?

M

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #121 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:23pm

Just a general comment about some of this discussion- much of it reminds me of ACIM, i.e. separation/fear/illusions.

In fact I resurrected my copy and started reading it again...the similarity is striking.

Kathy, if you get the chance, I would really be interested in your take vis-a-vis Danison.  As I recall you had said that you hadn't read ACIM.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #122 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm

You resurrected your copy? That's sort of a funny thing to say.

Yeah Kathy, read ACIM and about a year from now when you finally have the time to finish it, let us know what you think. Grin

rondele wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:23pm:
Just a general comment about some of this discussion- much of it reminds me of ACIM, i.e. separation/fear/illusions.

In fact I resurrected my copy and started reading it again...the similarity is striking.

Kathy, if you get the chance, I would really be interested in your take vis-a-vis Danison.  As I recall you had said that you hadn't read ACIM.

R

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #123 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:06pm

Should a spiritual quest make you feel good?  Should you resonate in a positive way with it?  If so, you will only explore what is comfortable and pleasing to you. 

Can we get stuck in belief systems?  Should we be more open to ideas and explorations that make us uncomfortable?  Just an open ended question.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:23pm by DocM »  

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #124 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:14pm

DocM wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:18pm:
Albert,

That is the core problem that unsettled me on me read of Tolle.  That both ego and mind/thinking are the enemy in modern society.  Being or presence if the goal for him, not active thought (unless I am misreading him).  Mind is a tool for the ego, and both are said to dissolve in the light of presence or just "being."  I found myself wanting to get more in tune with being and presence, but unsettled by his theory of mind being a "monstrosity" to human beings, and an enemy to spirituality or unity with Source.  But hey, he would just say that is my ego rebelling against its unreality, right?

M

I'm not a big Tolle fan, but after glancing through the book I have, which I wouldn't think would be a lot different than the one you have, it seems to me that he is attempting to describe the difference between a mind that is always thinking centered on the past/future and the "Being state" of mind, which can only be focused in the present moment. 

As you know our thoughts can run rampant, especially when we react from fear.  If something happens in our life that we oppose, judge as bad, causes us pain, gets us tied up in knots so to speak, it is our mind continuously thinking about it that can be our enemy, a "monstrosity" to humans.

On the other hand, if we are in a state of being and focused in the present moment, then we are not doing a lot of thinking.  Our mind is more or less still or silent where thoughts can enter into our mind if need be, but we are not running them through our mind like a broken phonograph record.  When we are focused in the present we are focused on the task at hand.  We are in a state of being that is mostly without thought.  Instead we are immersed with peace, calmness, a sense of joy as well as being unaware of time passing.

When we are in a state of being and focused on the present, we are more of an observer, we have clarity of mind, and let ourselves go fully into whatever is at hand, where our life energy flows out of us from an internal source.  Then it seems colors are brighter, tastes are sweeter, the air is more fragrant, and the sounds around us create a symphony.  These are moments when solutions to problems come to us without us having to think about the problem.  Instead the solution has emerged from deep within.  Or they can also be moments where we notice an old woman's wrinkled hands or look into the eyes of a newborn baby and we are filled with wonder for the mystery of life.  Again, the feelings emerged from deep within, from our deep inner source or essence.  We cannot "think" these experiences.  They can only come from within us while we are in a state of being such as acceptance.

It's where we learn to turn down the internal noise, constant thinking in our head so we can pay attention to the softer rhythms, the subtle nuances of life that are the foundations of our moment to moment experience of life itself, which is our inner essence.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #125 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:22pm

R

Hi Roger,

That's correct, I've not read ACIM other than various quotes people have posted over the years.

I'd just recommend you read Danison's first book yourself.  That way you can determine if what she says relates to ACIM or not.  I would think it would be available at libraries.  As I mentioned previously, I found it to be one of the most interesting books of its kind that I've ever read.

K

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #126 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:28pm

recoverer wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm:

Yeah Kathy, read ACIM and about a year from now when you finally have the time to finish it, let us know what you think. Grin

R

Very funny, Albert! Grin

Sometimes I think that your way of thinking and mine are so far apart that I wonder how we can even communicate.  Oh wait...  Roll Eyes What was I thinking?

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #127 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:59pm

Kathy:

Funny thing is, quite often I understand where you are coming from. It might not seem that way since when I write I tend to focus on my differing viewpoint.

I figure that the longer my post is, the less likely people will take the time to read it.

Lights of Love wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
recoverer wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm:

R

Very funny, Albert! Grin

Sometimes I think that your way of thinking and mine are so far apart that I wonder how we can even communicate.  Oh wait...  Roll Eyes What was I thinking?

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #128 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:15am

Kathy,

The Achilles heal of Tolle is that in his zeal to get his reader to the stillness of Now, or pure being - which is to say the connectedness to all-that-is, he goes into an anti-mind diatrebe. 

It is true that many people have excess chatter in their minds, and as Tolle says, they live in either the past or the future which are not real (the past is a memory trace and the future is a projection), but not in the present.  Too much effort is put into the mental constructs for past and future without a connection to the present/the Now.  I get that.  But Tolle takes it further, and wants thinking to be "turned off," as we do during meditation. 

I get being fully present in the moment; in whatever task you are doing whether at work, or just walking up a flight of stairs.  But we use our mind and thought as a tool, and he makes it out to be an enemy.  It leads the reader into a somewhat stupefied state of trying to "just be" and not think. 

Tolle should, in my opinion qualify his statements by showing more examples of how one can be present in the moment, feeling the connectedness and use the mind correctly to perform a task, or to make a decision.  Decisions can come from our "being" or presence, but ultimately we use our minds as a tool to deliver that decision. 

I guess, I feel that Tolle overstates his point about the thinking mind being a monstrosity, when, correctly applied use of the mind as a tool to solve issues when one is totally present in a situation can be done. 

M

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #129 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:36am

Hmmm... maybe he toned it down in the book I have.  His second?  I don't know.

At any rate, I find his writing almost as tedious to read as ES's H & H.  Extremely repetitive, even boring. 

K

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #130 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:47am

His book The Power of Now, is a good read, and very clearly stated.  It is dense in terms of being tightly packed for a 200 plus page book.  I agree with much of what he has to say, but feel there is something wrong with the presentation and communication.  I am unsettled by the book, but belief system crashes are sometimes accompanied by this feeling, and can be a good thing. 

M

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #131 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:07am

Matthew,

It's been quite a while since I've had any belief system crashes, but they can be uncomfortable.  It's not that I haven't learned anything new in recent years, it's that I'm more open minded and try to understand what the person is saying, and if I can relate to it, while at the same time remaining skeptical enough to not make what is said a belief.  Being skeptical means that I don't internalize any new information unless I see a pattern match with my own experience and understanding.  Trying to understand what the author is saying also puts me in a frame of mind to not jump to conclusions or let my emotions get involved.  It's just information that may or may not be useful.  I get to choose how or if I react to it.

I don't mean to say Tolle's "A New Earth" is completely without merit.  I have a "quote book" that I sometimes write quotes from various authors.  I did write down several of Tolle's from "A New Earth" and he did tell some good stories to get his points across.

I've been reading an interesting book titled "The Practical Neuroscience of Buddha's Brain" by Rick Hanson, PH.D., a neuropsychologist; and Richard Mendius, MD, a neurologist.  It's about how science is showing how the flow of thoughts actually sculpts the brain and how to stimulate and strengthen your brain to activate the states of calm, joy, compassion, etc. by tapping into the unused potential of our brain and rewire it for a greater sense of well being and peace of mind.  It gives practical tools and skills, but also explains the physiology of why they work.  Later in the book, (yes, sometimes I skip around) the author's discuss much of what Tolle is saying, though they communicate it in far better ways.

K

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #132 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:46am

Matthew-

I read Power of Now, which is simply another take on ACIM.  Amazing how many authors drew from that book to write books supposedly of their own (i.e. Walsch, Gary Renard).

So there's an entire chapter in ACIM titled The Holy Instant. Here's just one quote: "Fear is not of the present, but only of the past and future, which do not exist.  There is no fear in the present when each instant stands clear and separated from the past, without its shadow reaching out into the future.  Each instant is a clean, untarnished birth.....and the present extends forever......take this very instant, now, and think of it as all there is to time.  There is no change in Heaven because there is no change in God.  Change is an illusion."

(Kathy, see what you made me do??  Dig up this book that I had long since consigned to the basement.  Now I gotta order Danison's book.  I wonder if she ever read ACIM....... Grin

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #133 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:29pm

Roger,

Believe it or not, but I actually get what that ACIM quote is attempting to say... however because of the way they say it and because the last sentence is hogwash... it belongs in the basement!  Banished forever! Grin

K

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #134 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:51pm

Hi Roger,

Both Tolle and Danison are fluent with New Age thought and ACIM, CWG, and other texts.  I actually prefer to hear the author's unfiltered perception of their experience, without support from these other texts. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.