Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
James Randi deserves his own topic. Or maybe not! (Read 18138 times)
chrwe

ALK Member

Re: James Randi deserves his own topic. Or maybe not!
Reply #30 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 4:18am

I`ve read in a book of an "OBE teacher" that he recommends putting cards on the top of a cupboard (the picture unknown to you, of course), trying to see them in an OBE, writing down what you see as soon as you wake up (in order to avoid your memory fooling you) and then compare whtether you get the right result. He claims it works. He also told me that it still is no proof whatsoever of the afterlife since ofc he was still alive. And no, no one in their right mind wants to go and prove this in front of a big audience.

I`ve been trying this myself for a couple of months. Unfortunately, I am not having a lot of luck getting into an OBE at all, let alone a conscious, ordered one. The only time it may have worked, it was still much like a dream, however I got one of the two cards right and the other one at least had the right color (but not the right number). This is interesting to me, but still no proof as it wasn`t repeateble nor 100% correct. But interesting, is it?

Maybe it will work better at some future time. If it would, then I can promise you 100% that I wouldnt even think of going to Randi or similar to "test" this^^. Not because I dont believe in myself, but because this is simply too unpredictable (Are you going to be able to go into OBE at all? If so, will it be a clear conscious experience? Will you have the willpower to do what you want? (I can tell you that part is hard), Will you be in the same "phase" as the objects you are trying to see? and so on and so on).

I`Ve come to the conclusion that it is, even for the scientific mind, possible to believe that an afterlife is NOT completely out of the question. I`ve also come to the conclusion that it is not verifyable at the current moment. And it may also be not true, this is also an option. Since I have no means of testing it at the moment, but I`ve had some interesting hints, I choose to believe in the possiblity and just hope for the best - it throws me into anxiety if I dwell on it toooooo much and I would suggest to anyone who feels similar to get something else into the focus of your life. Because, whatever the "truth" is - you are alive, you cannot change what you are and it will do no one good, least of all yourself, if you spend your life unhappy and apprehensive.

IP Logged

PauliEffectt

ALK Member

Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 8:48am

I've viewed a lot of youtube clips of Randi and he is very honest. I think the verifiability problem is to make these "psychic" experiments repeatable or re-producible.

Randi himself says that most "psychics" that claim para-normal abilities are amateurs and those are not the ones Randi is targeting with his price. Randi wants to challenge those, as he sees it, fake psychics that earn money on peoples stupidity.

I have also read a few articles on so called "cold-reading" and am now much more skeptic about certain claims. I would say that it's very healthy to read only one article about how cold-reading can be performed.

Besides, for you who haven't found Randi's youtube clip about his own OBE, here it is ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwKkbd2e-c&feature=related

Smiley

Seems Randi was experiencing quite a real time fluctuation. Too bad he haven't gotten any more such experiences, which might make him experiment just a little - and eventually startle him. Smiley

I think there also is one TMI youtube clip about Remote Viewing (RV) and that Holmes "Skip" Atwater says that the biggest problem with RV is two-fold:

1. You don't always know when in time the remote place is viewed.
2. It is difficult to identify objects and make real-world items out of them as the view might not be detailed enough.

Here is Atwater explaining the problems with RV, listen to the first six minutes, specially between 4:01 - 5:46:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MonroeInstitute#p/u/94/Fc59il6fRfI

IP Logged

Dr. Who

ALK Member

Reply #32 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:54pm

Right, this is where I am right now....

The afterlife may, or may not exist.

Proof being required. I need nothing less than a good number of scientific tests with real results.

If you can give me a solid 50 or 60 direct recorded scientific tests regarding the afterlife which involve details regarding the dead or details of cards or numbers being read off in an OBE experiment I will then "BEGIN" to lean towards the afterlife existing....

Frankly, I love how pro-afterlifers are. If someone is negative or uncertain in regards to the afterlife, automatically that person is labeled "closed minded" because they do not conform to your belief system (which you are basing on faith.)

I could say the same about you.... I could say that since you say the after life exists based on "experiences" which scientifically constitutes the same as "faith" and you are completely closed off to the fact that the afterlife may not exist that YOU, the pro-afterlifer are the one that is in fact closed minded.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Colorado
Reply #33 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 12:49am

Dr. Who wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:54pm:
Right, this is where I am right now....

The afterlife may, or may not exist.

Proof being required. I need nothing less than a good number of scientific tests with real results.

If you can give me a solid 50 or 60 direct recorded scientific tests regarding the afterlife which involve details regarding the dead or details of cards or numbers being read off in an OBE experiment I will then "BEGIN" to lean towards the afterlife existing....

Frankly, I love how pro-afterlifers are. If someone is negative or uncertain in regards to the afterlife, automatically that person is labeled "closed minded" because they do not conform to your belief system (which you are basing on faith.)

I could say the same about you.... I could say that since you say the after life exists based on "experiences" which scientifically constitutes the same as "faith" and you are completely closed off to the fact that the afterlife may not exist that YOU, the pro-afterlifer are the one that is in fact closed minded.

Obviously this post seems directed at me.  Dr. Who, if you re-read what I said you'll see that my "closed-minded" comment was not an insult. 

What I said was, there's a certain way of thinking that closes down the psychic and nonphysical senses.  And that to open yourself up to being able to have those types of experiences, you need to open up a new way of perceiving. 

I myself have recently seen this happen to me, so that's the experience I'm speaking from, first hand.  I recently realized that at the moments I'm able to see clairvoyantly, I'm "open" to that type of perception.  But as soon as I begin to analyze what I'm observing, or tell myself something like, "Oh I need to document this and start writing my notes", then it shuts off.  In other words, what I meant as closed-minded.  Literally speaking, if you are doing things that close off a part of the brain or mind's ability to perceive, that's the same as being closed-minded, wouldn't you agree?  I see that you took that comment to mean something other than what I explained.

So, the clairvoyance is an ability that literally is apart from the part of the brain that analyzes and is logical-thinking. 

I was trying to point out the differences between our right brain and left brain.  And it's the same thing that Bruce teaches about how our Perceiver and Interpreter work together.  They work in balance of each other, and too much of one and not enough of the other isn't conducive to meaningful experience and memory function, etc. 

I hope that makes more sense to you now.  It's too bad you took offense to what I see as great insight.

Vicky   

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #34 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 1:40am

Dr Who,

reading your posts I get the impression of a political election. You put yourself in the position of a 'floating voter' unable to decide whether to put your vote in the box of the 'pro-afterlife' or 'dead-is-dead' candidate. But the thing is people on this board are not canvassers for the 'pro' party trying to get your vote; people here are just declaring their own truths- they don't need to convince you of anything. The message again and again is do your own research, your own exploration as no third party can do this for you because each individual has their own interpretation of what constitutes 'proof' and 'truth'.

IP Logged

Dr. Who

ALK Member

Reply #35 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 4:03am

Vicky, no way, it was intended for all pro-afterlifers since it seems to fit the majority of them.

Heisen, thus far, all of my own personal research has come up with (Spongebob's rainbow hand effect) "Imagination."
My current status on my OWN experiences and tests of the afterlife are leaning towards that it does not exist. One of the major factors is lack of solid evidence and the difficulty of proving that mind and body are separate.

Medical studies are learning more and more about the brain and how it works. Dementia and Alzheimer's being two of the major advocates of mind and body being completely linked and when they die, you die.

In fact, my studies are leaning more and more in the direction that life and sense of self is more of an illusion than anything. We believe life matters, we believe we matter. The reality is that we only think we matter in our own minds. If the entire world was destroyed tommorrow it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the long run.

I look at the afterlife because I see no meaning in life itself. I look at myself, at going to work every day, at having a beer, at having a wife, at playing a video game, at writing a book, at reading a book, and I say, wow, none of this really matters since in the end I have no true meaning. I will die and cease to exist. Having children to give yourself meaning is really just a way of fooling yourself. Even the memory of you will fade away completely within a life time or two maximum. And even if you are George Washington and people remember you years later, even this is an illusion in your mind, an attempt to give your life meaning.

Life, to me, is meaningless. Life itself, without some sort of continuance with death, has no real reason except the daily illusion of meaning we give ourselves.

Therefore, I make a futile attempt every day to pretend that life matters, all the while my mind is screaming and laughing maniacally. Inside I see the hideous and humorous worthlessness of it all.

When it all comes down to it, I wish I had never been born. It definitely seems unfair that parents can decide to create a life form and the life form being created has no say in the matter.

Oh yes, I know all the new age mumbo jumbo, the whole you picked your parents and chose to come here blah blah blah... well.... prove it if you are gonna say that type of stuff. I've heard that before from my new age friend Helga. (Who is actually a rather nice friend even though I am very negative at times!)

Anyways, In conclusion, life is meaningless to me.
Life should not exist. That's pretty much where I stand if the afterlife does not exist.

IP Logged

chrwe

ALK Member

Reply #36 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:14am

Oh, it`s you again, Jehova.

It is hard to live with a conviction like you have. I hope you find a lot of good friends and good moments to help you through it.

You may not want to hear this, but you may also want to think about this: Life does exist. I mean THIS life. Why? When it should not? When it is not possible to prove? In fact, everything exists in your mind only (meaning as your mind processes it). You unconsciously draw a lot of conclusions where the pure facts do warrant only agnosticism. Everyone does. It`s hard to shake the habit. Give EVERYTHING the benefit of doubt, science too and EVERY conclusion. Facts are facts, conclusions are conclusions and prone to change.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #37 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:30am

Dr Who:

It seems to me that you want your proof and you want it NOW ! But I would say that for most people it does'nt work that way. Its a more gradual process; cracks might open up in your belief system when you start finding anomalies running counter to it. For example a trusted friend (who has always been truthful) may relate a powerful obe/nde experience or a previously sceptical (high profile) scientist you respect says there is good data for mind being more than a brain function. Each not enough, on their own, to overturn your applecart but each slowly opening up your awareness to more ...

Keep your mind open you might be surprised what you may believe in 10 years time...

Smiley

IP Logged

detheridge

Malvern, Worcs, U.K.
Reply #38 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:51am

Dr. Who wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 4:03am:
I look at the afterlife because I see no meaning in life itself. I look at myself, at going to work every day, at having a beer, at having a wife, at playing a video game, at writing a book, at reading a book, and I say, wow, none of this really matters since in the end I have no true meaning. I will die and cease to exist. Having children to give yourself meaning is really just a way of fooling yourself. Even the memory of you will fade away completely within a life time or two maximum. And even if you are George Washington and people remember you years later, even this is an illusion in your mind, an attempt to give your life meaning.

Life, to me, is meaningless. Life itself, without some sort of continuance with death, has no real reason except the daily illusion of meaning we give ourselves.

Therefore, I make a futile attempt every day to pretend that life matters, all the while my mind is screaming and laughing maniacally. Inside I see the hideous and humorous worthlessness of it all.

When it all comes down to it, I wish I had never been born. It definitely seems unfair that parents can decide to create a life form and the life form being created has no say in the matter.

Oh yes, I know all the new age mumbo jumbo, the whole you picked your parents and chose to come here blah blah blah... well.... prove it if you are gonna say that type of stuff. I've heard that before from my new age friend Helga. (Who is actually a rather nice friend even though I am very negative at times!)

Anyways, In conclusion, life is meaningless to me.
Life should not exist. That's pretty much where I stand if the afterlife does not exist.

Dr Who,
if what you believe is true, then stop whining about it and hiding behind the chic cynicism of 'it all means nothing anyway' which is the ultimate in easy copouts. If you wish you had never been born then you can end it any time you like and as the whole thing is an illusion and meaningless, nothing will matter anyway.
And if this is all an illusion, why are you on this board at all? Why not just kick back with a beer, watch your videogame and let the rest of your life unfold in its meaninglessness until your body finally gives out, or you can go early. None of it matters anyway.

OR: you can stop hiding behind the defence mechanism, look at the nature of beliefs and the nature of reality, and wonder if you're being prodded or impelled to make a quantum leap forward into a new understanding of existence. Are you going to make a leap of faith that life is far more than everyday existence, or is 'WWW Smackdown' going to be the most important thing in your everyday life.
No-one here's going to try and convince you of anything. Various folks here KNOW that there's more, others like myself BELIEVE that there's more and are waiting to experience something that proves TO US (and not anyone else) that this is all true FOR US (and no-one else), and some are on the sidelines unsure what to think.

At the end of the day, it's your call, and yours alone.

Hope you make it -you know what the alternative is already.

Best wishes and hopes,

David.
Smiley

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:38pm

Very well said David--couldn't agree more.

Btw, Dr. Who, the offer about the Hemi-sync still stands (& i'm less broke of late).

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #40 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Proafterlifer? Count me in! Smiley Smiley Smiley

WWWsmackdown verses pure unconditional love.

The former won't do anything to make life meaningful, but PUL will do the trick more than enough. PUL makes it so everything seems precious.

Related to what David wrote, I found that even though you (I don't mean David specifically) are certain of the reality of a non-physical experience as it takes place, after such an experience is over the doubtful, body based, self defense instinct based rational mind tries to deny what you understood. This is because a mind that is based upon logic isn't capable of understanding what is beyond logic.

I found that putting my rational mind in its place was a prolonged process despite how certain my non-physical experiences were as I had them. If I consider them from the perspective I had while having them, their truth is obvious.

We need to make certain that the self defense instinct based rational mind doesn't determine what we try to understand. This part of ourself is interested in holding onto old false structures, not in finding something beyond itself.

What really helps is letting go of the limiting ideas and psychological issues that prevent you from opening up to divine love. When you are able to do so, you inwardly feel what is true in a way that is significantly more meaningful than what the rational mind can come up with. This love can be experienced to different degrees.

IP Logged

Calypso

ALK Member

Chicagoland
Reply #41 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 2:46pm

I found the following recently, and thought it might add something useful to this thread.  Sorry if it's long.

“A while ago, experimenting with remote viewing, I learned first hand that there is a big difference between accuracy of perception and accuracy of interpretation. This cleared up questions that had plagued me for years about the process of obtaining information from the other side. The mind is always ready to connect the dots. That’s how we make sense of the world. But it’s also how we sometimes delude ourselves.”

“Think of your mind as containing two active elements, the perceiver and the interpreter, which weaves a story from whatever has been perceived, connecting the dots as best it can, enabling us to make at least tentative judgments when we have insufficient data. That’s well and good, but it brings its own dangers, because accurate perceptions don’t guarantee accurate interpretations.

In fact, because particularly accurate perceptions often carry strong conviction, and because that conviction can rub off on interpretation, the paradoxical truth is that sometimes the better the perception, the greater the chance that the interpretation will go seriously wrong. And because you remember the strength of the feeling accompanying the perception, you may be tempted not to examine too closely whatever interpretation you have attached to it.”

...and later...

"The only alternative to taking things on faith, or refusing to think about them at all, is to do our own exploring. Explorers by definition move into poorly mapped or unmapped territory, and by their own experience help fill in the map for those who follow. It cannot be required of explorers that they always know what they are doing, or where they are going, nor can it be required of them that they not pursue leads that turn out to be dead ends. All that can be required is that they be resolute, honest, and a bit skeptical even of the maps they themselves help to draw.

"Therefore it follows that the very last thing an explorer can do or should do is to stick to the “respectable” or the “common sense” explanations and pathways. What kind of exploring would that be? Even more difficult sometimes, the explorer must be willing to continue despite doubts, suspicions and confusions. Sometimes you just have to keep on going and trust that eventually things will sort out."

From “Chasing Smallwood:  Conversations with a “past life” American about the challenges, opportunities and meaning of his time and ours” by Frank DeMarco

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.