Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts - the 'what is it that survives' debate.. (Read 21908 times)
LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: Thoughts - the 'what is it that survives' deba
Reply #30 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:53pm

thistle wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 4:31pm:
I can totally relate to what SHSS is saying.  I mean, how do we know if all of this isn't just our imagination?  Are we gods to our own existence?  As I sit here in this room is there anything outside of what I think I can visually see?  I've had dreams that have used ever one of my five senses.  I created my dream, am I creating the rest of it?  Is this just a dream?  Like SHSS asks, is the next level another dream?  Sometimes I feel like this life is the Twilight Zone.  Or an episode of "Lost"...flashbacks, flash-forwards, time travel, present time... Undecided 

I relate well with Shss too Michelle. my belief is that everything is a belief.and that beliefs change as we go along. I see the imagination as a very creative aspect of ourselves. if you cannot imagine something, it simply cannot happen.
U could look at it that we are fragments of God. Some books say we are gods. a good friend of mine (nobody on this board) says he is god and that he is invulnerable. I think I love him but perhaps, in the end, even he will be forced to admit he did not create himself, therefore something else created him, unless we believe in accidents of creation.

I used all 5 senses in dreams too, then I don't consider that a dream. the way we establish that it's real is through the 5 senses, but there's also a 6th sense, the 3rd eye so called, that has atrophied and is now being re-worked to health again. my belief again, but I do a lot studies, I don't have a job, I just study all day. I think we are here to first dream it, then create it.
as best as I can determine, if you don't have a dream, u start to go onto the death transistion, where it can seem like more dreaming is taking place, but if we wake up first here, we are surely awakened already on the nonphysical level.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

thistle

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2008 at 6:20pm

LaffingRain it's all so complicated.  I guess it has to be in order for us to grow.  If the roots of a tree get everything they need near the surface they won't grow down and the tree will never be strong enough to withstand the elements.  It's our growth of spirit that makes us strong.  At least that's how I see it at this moment in time.   Smiley

I think, therefore I am.  But what am I?   Huh

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #32 - May 20th, 2008 at 6:26pm

well, lol, you somebody I'm glad to talk to! Smiley  and surely more than 3 ounces of minerals, what the body can be reduced to.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #33 - May 20th, 2008 at 7:59pm

Smiley As you've quoted before Alysia: 'with our minds we make the world'.

Karma or damaging beliefs can be dropped and don't have to follow us around. That's what the Chod technique is about.

But the awkward part of all of this is that most of our beliefs are the result of early or even prior life experience, are buried at levels well below the subconscious, and consequently are not easily brought into awareness.

There's also the little matter of what constitutes a belief. We're conditioned to think of them as views we apply to situations occurring in the 'real' physical world. But a quick reading of 'The Field' by Lynne McTaggart or better still 'The New Physics of Healing' by Deepak Chopra points out clearly that the entire reality we experience (ourself, and the reality we find ourself in and our view of this) is in fact all one great big belief system.

That we very soon after birth (maybe even before) are conditioned by experience into deciding the sort of reality we're going to perceive. This is only one possibility out of an infinite number. But once this process takes place our every effort  is to only see what we've decided we should see. Or as before 'what the thinker thinks the prover proves'.

This is not just conjecture. It's a 100% logical consequence of quantum theory, and has been demonstrated time and time again experimentally since way back. It's just that medicine and science is the general sense have not so far managed to adjust their preconceptions enough to take this on board, and so are stuck in materialistic views.

This I suspect all means that while yes, we can choose to drop the specific beliefs we can bring into awareness that it takes a rather more comprehensive or universal dropping of beliefs (realisation) to deal with them all.

With the result that those beliefs we're not aware of will function to all appearances like external forces determining our lives. Much like the traditional view of karma.. ..

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #34 - May 20th, 2008 at 11:34pm

Hi Ian, there is a time though, and you have probably stumbled upon this state of mind occassionally, from what I've read of your posts, where your subconscious beliefs are exposed into the conscious, and in that moment you can dialogue with yourself.
What has worked for me, it's not so much dropping the belief or resisting it, as it is an inner dialogue with the belief itself.  Just the awareness that I now know I have believed that was true, is enough to decide not to believe it anymore, if it has not done anything for my welfare. So I will say, "thank you for your service to me, now I am going to retire you."

this way you are not resisting your belief or making yourself fearful to fight it. Just a simple I choose to believe something else now.
I don't think we are the sum total of what we believe. I don't think we are our emotions either. the emotions of perhaps negative, they are not our being either.
they are bodies the soul essence uses to gather experience with.

there will come a time you will feel greater life force within, but it has nothing to do with feeling love all the time, rather it's a lack of negativity life force, so there is only livliness, or life abundant, vitality.

but before this occurs theres a period of observing yourself on the hour. You can do this exercise to become more aware of the life force within you, the vital you, by every hour stopping what you are doing for just a second and asking yourself "How am I feeling this very moment?"

whether it's nervous, happy, sad, worried, preoccupied, wishful, theres many little emotions to become aware which one is active. watch yourself, how one time you feel good, then something happens to ruin the feeling. then just be aware of how you buzz throughout the day.

after some practice, some are quicker to get it than others, your subconscious begins to feed your belief systems into the conscious and you begin to choose your reality rather than feel as if you are a programmed brain, has to act from a program. you don't. self expression will become freer.

a lot of people don't know this, but happiness is merely a choice. it basically has not much to do with what's happening in the world externally.

I have faith in you, if that helps, you have a fine mind, it's just that right now many of us are being given information overload with the energies upon the Earth, forcing us to grow into fuller expressions of our true selves. It's the shift in consciousness I like to call it, and when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I guess that's about it in a nutshell! love to you, you've already started your journey.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #35 - May 21st, 2008 at 1:55am

Hi Vajra and friends,

Going back to Vajra's initial post, I would make the following observations:

At the most relaxed yet focused state of meditation, there is in fact a feeling of merging with the "all that is" (Source), and yet, we could also define that state not as a loss, but as a state of pure perception.  Incredibly, one finds that our the conscious mind is still there.   The "I" may be merged with the "all," and yet there is what I have called "me", my conscious awareness.  And behold, it is not gone; it is more clear than ever.  

In this state, I have not lost my perspective and picked up the perspective of everyone else.  The humbling and awe-inspiring realization is that, no, my individual perception is still there.  Is this an ego-based delusion?   In my experience, as dualistic as it sounds, the answer is - No.  I am there, able to observe everything.  I am thought, and I can perceive.  This is what Descartes wrote of.  I think, therefore, I am.  It is so simple; so basic.  

In this deeply relaxed state, where we feel a part of everything, we are at our most relaxed, yet most powerful.  Suggestions given to the physical vehicle during this state tend to manifest most powerfully into our reality within the near future.  This is the basis for magic and shamanism over the centuries.  Our thought in this state is powerfully creative - a particularly good way to heal ourselves and others.  I have experienced this firsthand.  Surprisingly, I have had no urge at all to abuse this power or to use it for personal indulgence.  I think that with our understanding of our true nature, the petty achievements in the physical and the pull of seductive karma weaken.

So at our core, we still exist as thought, perception, and creative beings.  Am I still Matthew, in the realm of thought?  Will I forget my experiences in the earth plane in the spiritual realm?  Hmmmmm......of course I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect that we have choice and free will here.  My choices will dictate my state of consciousness and activities.  Vajra suggested that creation in the afterlife may be a result of karma and perhaps even false belief systems separating Source from itself there.  I agree with this, in part.

I find, in introspective meditation that stripped away of physical concerns, I am pure thought.  I am stunned, in some ways to find that I still exist.  My thought is NOT dependent on karma or illusion.  I am simply because I am - an almost divine-like statement, but true nonetheless.  At my core, I am pure perception and thought, but not mindless perception.  And as such, I choose where to take it from there.

From some perspectives, following the choices of pure thought may appear to willingly separate ourselves from God.  This is true if we move away from love.  Moving with love in our choices, we find that there is no karma.  Yet we still exist.  We are.

Matthew

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #36 - May 21st, 2008 at 3:00am

Thistle.,

Quote:
can totally relate to what SHSS is saying.  I mean, how do we know if all of this isn't just our imagination?  Are we gods to our own existence?  As I sit here in this room is there anything outside of what I think I can visually see?  I've had dreams that have used ever one of my five senses.  I created my dream, am I creating the rest of it?  Is this just a dream?  Like SHSS asks, is the next level another dream?

Yes but this level is our "wake reality" and  to higher or lower monads  of other dimensions we are just a "vague,dream" from their awake realities, as they are  to us. We meet them in our dream state as they meet us in their dream states.

Gosh! I hope this makes some sense?

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

thistle

Reply #37 - May 21st, 2008 at 3:16am

Alan I'm trying to understand.  When we are in what we think is a sleep and dream state, at that time is it a reality?  Sometimes you know you are dreaming but other times it feels so real.  Most of the time I don't remember my dreams but then when I'm in what I believe to be a dream state I don't remember what at this moment seems to be an awake state.   Undecided  And the people we meet in what we think is a dream, in the morning if we could all recall our dreams would they have the same recollection?   

thistle

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2008 at 5:54am

Alysia, Doc: I think we're basically in the same space. The wonder is how somehow individuality up to universality is a continuum with all points available to us as vantage points or views, separated only by a need to phase between the 'dreamlike' states Alan refers to. There's even signs that with practice even phasing eventually becomes unnecessary, that we can somehow almost simultaneously rest a little of our awareness in each. That there is no separation between them in say the way that there apparently is between locations and individuals in the physical.

It's  you suggest the going inwards and opening (you could say progressively dropping our limiting beliefs) that successively opens up these views to us. Like peeling an onion, but with the extra that each opening enables access to more of our limiting beliefs which when resolved enable further access in the way you describe.

I've indeed experienced a few quite profound incidences of resolving issues in this way Alysia, and a few more that seemed to slowly dissolve with coming to feel a lot better about my intrinsic worth (or love-abilty I guess).  Smiley WinkThere's probably quite a lot more to go however!

This I guess is what I was getting at - that while it's all eventually accessible and capable of being dropped, that until we develop this ability  we are stuck with our beliefs. Perhaps also that we may ultimately end up dropping rather more than we expect too.

I'd add two bits of experience to the mix. I've experienced a very beautiful timeless place Doc where even thought starts to fall away, that clearly delivers the impression that awareness and knowing are separate from the thinking mind. There's this non verbal knowing. My thoughts ran a commentary on this (asking and answering questions) which became more and more distant, less and less in my control and less and less significant until it felt like it was somebody else speaking out of earshot.

The pity is that I can't get there routinely - it happened at the end of a week's retreat.

Another experience which nicely illustrates the problems of moving between states had my grandfather (I somehow knew it was him) trying to make contact with me - to enter a lucid dream, presumably as a physical appearing entity. My perception  (which was probably just my conscious mind making something conceptually understandable out of what was going on) was like there was this flexible membrane separating us. I could sense his wish to get through, and I could 'see' (in a kind of a way) his pushing quite agitatedly against the back of the membrane. I couldn't help him through though, and he hadn't made it by the time I lost the view.

I guess Alysia the question of just how much is determined by our beliefs is as before dependent on answering your 'who am I' question. One possibility is that we create everything that's not the 'piece' of source/the absolute/primordial mind that choses to manifest - everything that's not permanent...

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #39 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:17am

Thistle,

I seem to have lost the thread as far as the other guys go!! But as to your question below I will give it another bash.

Quote:
Alan I'm trying to understand.  When we are in what we think is a sleep and dream state, at that time is it a reality?  Sometimes you know you are dreaming but other times it feels so real.  Most of the time I don't remember my dreams but then when I'm in what I believe to be a dream state I don't remember what at this moment seems to be an awake state.     And the people we meet in what we think is a dream, in the morning if we could all recall our dreams would they have the same recollection?    

thistle

When you are asleep the reality is your conscious active controlling mind becomes dormant and you soul mystical spiritual subconscious mind goes on a "walkabout" "through other realities" which you might remember on waking or forget. Lucid dreams very lucid dream are you own reality and explorations into other dimensions and these are the dreams you should try to record.

Lucid dreams in Technicolor etc are a type of OBE’s. I use this method instead of the conscious difficult OBE that few can perfect. I used this method years ago but found it energy draining unlike the easy lucid dreaming method.

Sometimes the people you meet in your dream experience see you in their dream, but often you do not remember because to them the dream is unimportant. This of course relates to our earthly now reality.

There are other dreams that are strange and otherworldly, you breach time space and dimensions you see the conscious reality of other being or what I call monads, of higher developed realms of existence as well as lower realms of existence. Thus the sometimes hell like dream or nightmare or the heavily dream of love and peace. I all depends where you soul goes while you sleep. You can try to direct you nightly travels to where, and when you want to go no matter how far fetched

To monads in higher or lower realities, your reality appears as a dream to them, just as their dimensions appear as a dream to you. God dreams and at night we all join in with him

I hope this helps somewhat if not well we can just continue to dialogue until it does. Of course, I make no claim of infallibility; I am just another mortal trying my best to fathom my own reality.

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #40 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:26am

Like Vajra mentioned, in my experiences pure awareness is at a deeper level than thought. My perception of it is that thought is an action we are able to take out of an uprising of desire that moves out from awareness. Thought is essentially form though not as dense as the physical world objects around us.

Just as we interact with the physical world around us we also interact with the thought forms we create. Love and the ways we define this seems to be one of these states of consciousness where we can and do interact on higher levels of our being.

This is hard to describe, but my experience of pure awareness is silence and light. I am the awareness and I am me all at the same time. Thought and emotion arises from the "me" part of the awareness.

When I am not in the light, but can see it, such as a being of light, I feel the purest most intense love you can possibly imagine radiating from it. In this instance the love I feel is not coming from me, it is the being of light that is radiating it out.

Love, Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #41 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:58am

Kathy,

Quote:
This is hard to describe, but my experience of pure awareness is silence and light. I am the awareness and I am me all at the same time. Thought and emotion arises from the "me" part of the awareness

When you reach the stage and state of absolute stillness and awareness, all Existence revolves around you and you merge with and become God

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #42 - May 21st, 2008 at 12:06pm

Hi Ian, just taking your final statement that "who is the who that creates the temporary and insubstantial objectively oriented world we view"  hope I reworded your thought correctly, you could say we all as one created the temporary but not the eternal.

there are many meditation jump off spots..you could start one, on the idea that we are all One entity and all agreed physicality is Reality to the exclusion of a nonphysical world peopled with people who are not made of clay, but another substance less dense. but wait, haha! thats not what I wanted to say.

lol. I meant to say, yes, we are One, while our individual egos have the motive of dividing that oneness into segments, judgments, seeking the illusive grandiosity of it's individuality, perhaps without love, perhaps with love of a distorted nature.
Within this collective area, we agree on certain things..once we all agreed the world was flat. so that was reality..a limited reality. then someone said it was round. soon we all agreed, yes, we were wrong, it is indeed round. so we all share the truth, or we all share the limited view as our reality.

what happened was, if u can pick up on the most abstract talk probably on this board, is "We saw that we could give ourselves "time."  Linear time is a hard master unlike units of consciousness existing within a state of timelessness and eternal occupation.

within time is the growth of patience. Patience is a virtue it is said. Only on the earth could impatience be felt. Only on the Earth could a soul begin to own it's own self and develop presence, to become at one with the Now Moment, is what gaining presence means, as well to be in the present moment with what is happening now and our only choice, within free will is how we shall react to what is happening now, whether to contrive fearful thoughts, or rest in the trust that we are found, not lost. (not alone)

I was trying to get that idea across in my other post, of the power is possessed within the now moment and reality creating, is of a personal nature, which nonetheless effects the collective nature of reality producing, which rest on Oneness thoughts.
it appears we are focus points of attention. units of God. whatever you focus on comes into manifestation materially, and this is happening faster.

so we are careful what we focus on, as it takes only half the time to manifest it while before it took much time to do so.

Time, linear time is the illusion that we are stuck in it. We are not stuck in it. We play in it, we create in it, we can do what we want here, make love or make war and we do it all and we think it's real.
to get to the point where we see how much we lean on each other to make sense of it all, is the beginning of awakening. a cooperative effort is gathering on the Earth.
this is like PUL then. its a state of being, where we know then we do it together and it's much smoother then.

continuing with abstracts...it's like we are light bulbs, blinking in and out of true reality, when we blink off, we are unconscious; blink on and we're tuned into source. Linear time walk, physicality is this, the development to stay present and turned on increases with focus on only what is happening now and what our choices are in the single moment.
The sense of separation from others is what the ego builds on. If I get tuned in, I blink on, I feel at one with you. But if I listen to my ego it will say Ian needs fixing. I choose to stay tuned into the truth that as you said. We are in the same space, and there's plenty of space for all our friends here.
In the end, it looks tedious; only from the point of view of the ego, in that we are involved not so much in acts of good will, as we are involved in the undoing of our own internal conflicts, our errors of misperceiving others as not being our own selves.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #43 - May 21st, 2008 at 12:20pm

Alysia,

Your quote.

Quote:
Time, linear time is the illusion that we are stuck in it. We are not stuck in it. We play in it, we create in it, we can do what we want here, make love or make war and we do it all and we think it's real.
continuing with abstracts...it's like we are light bulbs, blinking in and out of true reality, when
we blink off, we are unconscious; blink on and we're tuned into source. Linear time walk, physicality is this, the development to stay present and turned on increases with focus on only what is happening now and what our choices are in the single moment

Time linear time is an illusion as is the impossible concept of equating linear time and eternity. There is only the ever- changing "MOMENT". but linear time can be beautiful, like spending time in real fun or with ones first love. It is like your light bulb then on and immediately off.

How we long to hold on this bliss in this mortal frame!!

Linear time can also be awful even horrifying. Waiting for an execution, or at the doctors waiting room.

Yesterday is gone and but a memory , tomorrow a hope and dream "ONLY NOW IS REAL"

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #44 - May 21st, 2008 at 1:02pm

thistle wrote on May 21st, 2008 at 3:16am:
the people we meet in what we think is a dream, in the morning if we could all recall our dreams would they have the same recollection?   

thistle

Hi Michele. I'm really glad u joined us as I've been logging dreams and obes for nearly all my life and enjoy talking about it. I think maybe I subconsciously asked for your presence here!  Smiley

I have experimented with various partners, either with mental telepathy, phasing, partnered exploration, dreams and full blown obes here and there.
My first full blown Obe at about 3 or 4 years of age.

Your question can be answered more fully in Bruce Moen's 5th book "Afterlife Knowledge Guidebook, A Manual for the Art of Retrieval & Afterlife Exploration.

Bruce visualized the creation of this board for people like you and me. Now and then I like to give him credit for bringing you to me because it's your questions help me grow too understand myself as well!
(I wrote a song once "A Love song is not a love song until I sing it to you.")

Moving right along, lol. There is a fine chapter in Bruce's books about Partnered Exploration, where people DO begin to realize we do meet up in dreams as well as learn to meet up while still in a waking consciousness. (telepathy, shared dreams)

When you do this upon finding a partner who's willing, it involves setting the intention in place to do it, and going for it bypassing the natural doubts in place surrounding the experiment as to personal ability. This involves going with the flow, trusting.

So I would advise not blowing off any dreams, but writing them down and exploring them, especially if someone you know is in that dream with you. What they other person will remember however, may be quite instructional to you, it is based on their own interpretive symbols that they will offer to you, most often some unconscious belief systems will arise in such an undertaking, revealing to you who they think you are, versus who you think you are.

All in all, it's great fun to Partner Explore, many surprising developments for reflection are there. My first partner, Linn, in Australia was of great value to my awakening process, that I carried an alter ego along with me on our first trip. an alter ego who felt unworthy of her love and attention.

I soon was able to merge my alter ego, not soon, but I now had the awareness of it in a conscious manner what I had to work with, a part of me I carried from my childhood. you could call it a belief system then that had to be integrated before further adventures could manifest, so not to confuse my friend!

This first PE took place with intention and then going to sleep, so was dream state. She emailed me she had met two of me. Both the dancer and the alter ego. The dancer was who I thought I was and she was the one I had intentionally projected over to Linn and so we had the knowledge that it was a shared vista, we had "met" in the same space of Mind.

I have too many examples of meeting with others out there, until one begins to question which reality is real, which is fabrication or wishful thinking? When the dreamworld or obe world becomes real, it sometimes produces a belief system crash, where you begin to feel quite crazy.

If this happens, ground yourself into life to get your bearings by attending lovingly to yourself and your family and friends; the crash will pass if you don't pick on yourself and just look at the fear, and know it's not real. Love is our essence. Truly though, an exploration partner can take you giant leaps into who and what we really are, and what we're doing here!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.