Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Thoughts - the 'what is it that survives' debate.. (Read 21778 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Thoughts - the 'what is it that survives' debate..
May 9th, 2008 at 11:14am

We've discussed this at length, but never really reached any view that reconciles the 'soul' and 'no soul' views - the latter epitomised by the Buddhist view that there's nothing that continues permanently between reincarnations - that the apparent 'me' is in reality only an aggregate of happenings that temporarily align to create that appearance.

I've been playing with this (am I a piece of Source/primordial awareness driving a convincing but ultimately unreal body through existence like a car, or a physical mind and body that happens to host a bit of Source?), and it strikes me (drawing on teaching and other's experience) that to try to explain my current take on it more clearly might be of interest.

Life in this reality may (to list two common views from among among the lots of possibilities) be a chosen learning experience, or something we've got ourselves stuck in through belief in separation from Source. The latter put another way might be the result of our getting hung up on the above belief that 'me' is truly a 'real' physical entity living on Earth in space time.

Buddhist (and I guess broader Eastern) teachings suggest that karma is the package of beliefs that results in mind creating this whole flow of reality, as well as at the 'me' level the physical body and the circumstances into which we are born, our tendencies, and the happenings we will be exposed to during our lives. This includes the whole package of beliefs that creates the ego or mistaken sense of self or 'me'.

Extra normal experience and teaching suggest that there's a 'piece' of Source or primordial mind in each of us - some of us can at times separate from the physical (karmic existence), and even temporarily transcend individuality to again experience Source.

This piece of Source manifests characteristics like awareness, intuitive knowing, creativity and love - but it's not easily defined, and while its manifestations mix with and are easily drowned out by those of ego it's quite separate from it and from the karmically created ego, 'me' or self.

Because of timelessness and the blurring of the boundaries between individuality and unity it can't easily be defined using our normal mind as a simple separate 'me' or 'part me' - it's perhaps a form of existence that's pretty much impossible to describe using our space/time based language and concepts.

It doesn't have to reincarnate, but the problem (maybe not a problem?) is that in most cases it's at some point forgotten what it truly is, and instead identified wholly with the manifestations of the ego - with existence as an individual time/space vehicle. (body and mind apparently living a physical life as a 'me') You could perhaps say that it's become so habituated to physicality and using language and space/time concepts that it finds it harder and harder to imagine the possibility of any other mode of existence.

The newly incarnating (first time around) bit of Source can probably choose the type of vehicle it creates/experiences physical existence through, but those that have been around lots of times before and have got caught up in the above belief/addiction are probably stuck with dragging the the latest  package of karmic propensities (beliefs) they have mistakenly attached themselves to with them - and hence they create another life based on them.

They feel a need to reincarnate back into the physical, because while the karma initially separates  in the afterlife state the result is that after a short time they start feeling themselves an incomplete 'me' - as a result of no longer having the body and existence in the physical life they have come to regard as normal.

With the result that (as in the Bardo teachings of Tibetan Buddhism) they start the process of  reattaching to their karmic beliefs by creating in the afterlife ( Roll Eyes I'll just nibble one chocolate biscuit!), and next thing get sucked into a blowout (going the whole hog back on earth) and it's reincarnation time.

My tentative suggestion would be that the afterlife scenarios we connect with from this life as reported  on this board are actually karmic creations brought into existence as above. Because they are not physical we (?) seem to have better access to higher states of awareness in them than in physical life.

One basic question that follows from this is that of how much control we might have over how much of this package of karma we reattach to and manifest when we reincarnate. Is our choice limited only to how we respond to it, or can we with assistance (addiction counselling?  Wink) and a degree of realisation choose to adjust the package of beliefs we go into and create our next life with? The hopelessly addicted (wholly non spiritual) presumably will be stuck with living out the lot with all the pain and suffering that entails.

The exceptions are said to be the realised people that have gotten over this apparently highly addictive package of beliefs/can handle separation from their karmic propensities/can handle the urge to reincarnate, and have started to remember what they truly are again - thus freeing themselves from the need for physical incarnation. They are able if they so choose to remain with Source outside of karmic influences. (many choose out of compassion to reincarnate anyway to help those still bound to physical life)

Viewed in totality you could say that there's two overlapping realities available to us in this life. C1 consciousness sees life exclusively from the point of view of the above addicted belief that physical existence is all that there is. Viewed from source this is just a dream or a belief bubble.

As we raise our consciousness in life we become able to elevate our awareness so that we increasingly can perceive from the perspective of Source too, although the problem is that when we get back to C1 we're stuck trying to do the impossible by explaining it using C1 language and concepts.

There seem to have been those ('holy' persons) who have chosen to live life with their awareness resting almost entirely with Source.

Realisation involves at least getting to the point where we know experientially that reality lies with Source, and not in C1, and as above no longer being bound to reincarnate. Such a person lives in the overlap.

Should this picture prove true the question of permanence of 'me' is all a matter of perspective. Yes, packages of karmic propensities cycle from life to life appearing to be individuals. So yes, there appears from one perspective to be reincarnation of a 'me'.

Yes there's an immortal piece of Source in there too, but it's in truth not anything that can be characterised as a 'me' in physical life terms. Buddhism uses terms like emptiness to try to get at it. Yet it (or at least a part of it) perhaps also cycles through physical existence until such time as it remembers what it truly is.

It's probably the case that this forgetting occurs for a reason, although not necessarily one  explainable in our C1 terms.

Having freed itself from physical reincarnation, this piece of Source proceeds on through a further series of levels until eventually it's fully reintegrated with the whole - perhaps taking with it only those aspects of knowledge gained through karmic experience that fulfill its purpose.

Presumably meaning that it's only the bit of Source that's truly immortal. That that part of the  personality (the karmic tendencies, the ego or apparent 'me' at C1 level) that's served its purpose will progressively be discarded.

Confused? It's only one view, it's mostly a restatement of teaching and as such is mostly an attempt to  fit a theory to very limited experience....
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2008 at 12:46pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Thoughts - the 'what is it that survives' deba
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2008 at 1:44pm

Hello Vajra. Below are some responses within brackets. I didn't respond to everything because I'm at work and have a limited amount of time.

We've discussed this at length, but never really reached any view that reconciles the 'soul' and 'no soul' views - the latter epitomised by the Buddhist view that there's nothing that continues permanently between reincarnations - that the apparent 'me' is in reality only an aggregate of happenings that temporarily align to create that appearance.

[Once a person starts communicating with a light being and seeing what such a light being is capable of, it hard to believe that such a being is nothing more than a collection of deluded aggregates that are destined to be destroyed. Rather, one finds that one is in touch with a being who has gone through enough learning experiences so it knows how to use energy in a controlled and intelligent way.

If one considers how beings occur at different levels, e.g., disks, planning intelligences, this supports the viewpoint of beings who have reached the point where they are in control of the creative energy they make use of, rather than creative energy being nothing more than someting that deludes them.]

I've been playing with this (am I a piece of Source/primordial awareness driving a convincing but ultimately unreal body through existence like a car, or a physical mind and body that happens to host a bit of Source?), and it strikes me (drawing on teaching and other's experience) that to try to explain my current take on it more clearly might be of interest.  

Life in this reality may (to list two common views from among among the lots of possibilities) be a chosen learning experience, or something we've got ourselves stuck in through belief in separation from Source. The latter put another way might be the result of our getting hung up on the above belief that 'me' is truly a 'real' physical entity living on Earth in space time.

[I believe that life is like an interactive movie. We take part in it so we can see what possibilities exist when it comes to the creative aspect of our being, and so we can see if any benefit can be derived by taking part in such an exploration.  If we consider this from the viewpoint of getting entangled within the movie, then life seems like a mistake.  Once we get to the point where we are no longer entangled by the movie we can use the lessons learned to our advantage.  A viewer gets defined by a movie only to the extent and for as long as a viewer allows itself to get defined by a movie. The knowledge that is gained can never be lost.

I believe that when people think in terms of being stuck, they view life too much from this side of the fence, rather than from the side a light being views life from.]

Buddhist (and I guess broader Eastern) teachings suggest that karma is the package of beliefs that results in mind creating this whole flow of reality, as well as at the 'me' level the physical body and the circumstances into which we are born, our tendencies, and the happenings we will be exposed to during our lives. This includes the whole package of beliefs that creates the ego or mistaken sense of self or 'me'.

Extra normal experience and teaching suggest that there's a 'piece' of Source or primordial mind in each of us - some of us can at times separate from the physical (karmic existence), and even temporarily transcend individuality to again experience Source.  

This piece of Source manifests characteristics like awareness, intuitive knowing, creativity and love - but it's not easily defined, and while its manifestations mix with and are easily drowned out by those of ego it's quite separate from it and from the karmically created sense of 'me' or self. Because of timelessness and the blurring of the boundaries between individuality and unity it can't easily be defined using our normal mind as a simple separate 'me' or 'part me' - it's perhaps a form of existence that's pretty much impossible to describe using our space/time based language and concepts.

[Either we view just a small part of the movie during any particular now, or we view the entire film. Which ever way we choose, the entire film is within us.

This inner us is alway connected to source because it is a part of source.  Once individual portions were given the ability to determine their own fate, their existence became a reality. For whatever reason energy can be used in a way so that numerous life histories can be created. Mixtures of energy cling to each other according to how they relate to each other.]

It doesn't have to reincarnate, but the problem (maybe not a problem?) is that in most cases it's at some point forgotten what it truly is, and instead identified wholly with existence as an individual time/space vehicle. (body and mind apparently living a physical life as a 'me') You could say that it's become so habituated to physicality and using language and space/time concepts that it finds it harder and harder to imagine the possibility of any other mode of existence.

[I figure that spirits need to reach the point where they are willing to see that they are a part of a greater self/disk/whatever name you like. They won't be able to completely remember who/what they are, until they are ready to make such a connection. Some spirits will need to go through some process of learning before they reach this stage.

When it comes to reincarnational goals, for the most part I believe such goals exist at greater self/disk level.  I believe these goals mostly pertain to lessons that still need to be accumulated, rather than an attachment to the physical World. I say this partly because disk level consciousness already exists at a level that is quite removed from the physical World.  There might also be certain patterns of mind that need to be worked out, and these patterns get worked out by selves/probes that are created by a disk. I say this with the understanding that any self which incarnates is only a very small part of an entire greater self/disk.

There might be some selves that reincarnate before rejoining a disk. Perhaps because such a self is really unhappy with what it accomplished and wants to contribute something more positive. I wonder about this though. If it is understood that because of the way this World is many selves are going to get caught up in a negative incarnation,  will the lessons gained be accepted for whatever merrit they contribute, even if this merrit takes the form of "what not to do."  It is important to remember that any life experience is just one small part of the film that is viewed.

There might be selves that return to greater self/disk and later on choose to reincarnate for some reason.  I suggest this simply because people like Bruce Moen have suggested this. I've been told differently with the messages I've received. I've been told that "each self incarnates only just one time."  Anything that needs to be taken care of is taken care of by succeeding greater self/disk members." Why the discrepency? I don't know. Whatever the case, I believe that each person needs to be responsible and do the best job he or she can, so there won't be any unpleasant surprises.]

The newly incarnating (first time around) bit of Source can probably choose the type of vehicle it creates/experiences physical existence through, but those that have been around lots of times before and have got caught up in the above belief/addiction are probably stuck with dragging the the latest  package of karmic propensities (beliefs) they have mistakenly attached themselves to with them - and hence they create another life based on them.

[The needs won't be based solely on what an individual self will need. They will be based on what a disk/greater self as a whole needs. It will also be a matter of what is needed beyond and individual disk's needs, since each disk takes part in the divine plan.]

They feel a need to reincarnate back into the physical, because while the karma initially separates  in the afterlife state the result is that after a short time they start feeling themselves an incomplete 'me' - as a result of no longer having the body and existence in the physical life they have come to regard as normal.

[Once a self reconnects to its greater self/disk, it will find that a oneness of mind exists. It may be that another part of its disk or even an affiliated disk already completed the lesson plan that it needs to learn. If not, a future self could take care of such lessons along with working out whatever lingering mind pattern needs to be worked out. Consider how in Bruce's third book he wrote about how he was provided with certain retriever traits before he incarnated.  Consider how Robert Monroe's I-there (disk) told him that his incarnation was the result of a mixture of traits that his I-there needed to incarnate. Consider what Thomas Sawyer said about reincarnation during his NDE account. In particular, the last paragraph:

"Thomas Sawyer learns some interesting facts from the light about reincarnation.

Reincarnation is not a linear thing. One of the problems in defining it is that there is no analogy to it. It is outside of time, yet we can't help but think of it in terms of the past and the future, and this incarnation. The whole story is so big and so involved.

Reincarnation is an opportunity to reach a goal. The goal is true self-realization. Self-realization is to know that you are a soul, a part of God, yet also the Whole. Perhaps no one has a very good image at all of his or her soul - the whole self. And they have no idea of what proportion their personality is in relationship to their soul.

As an example, a characteristic of your personality is one percent of all of your personality characteristics put together, and all of your personality characteristics make up your personality, and your personality is only about five percent of your soul, then we are blinding ourselves to 95 percent of the rest of our soul in order to reincarnate.

Reincarnation is an opportunity to evolve through many personalities. The definition of reincarnation is that your personality is who you are in your current lifetime, and that it can be reincarnated as an entirely different personality with the characteristics of the previous personality and previous personalities including even characteristics of another soul altogether. That is, characteristics of your present personality may be the reincarnation of other characteristics of personalities from your previous lifetimes as well as characteristics from personalities """""from other souls"""""."]

With the result that (as in the Bardo teachings of Tibetan Buddhism) they start the process of  reattaching to their karmic beliefs by creating in the afterlife (  I'll just nibble one chocolate biscuit!), and next thing get sucked into a blowout (going the whole hog back on earth) and it's reincarnation time.

My tentative suggestion would be that the afterlife scenarios we connect with from this life as reported  on this board are actually karmic creations brought into existence as above. Because they are not physical we (?) seem to have better access to higher states of awareness in them than in physical life.

One basic question that follows from this is that of how much control we might have over how much of this package of karma we reattach to and manifest when we reincarnate. Is our choice limited only to how we respond to it, or can we with assistance (addiction counselling?  ) and a degree of realisation choose to adjust the package of beliefs we go into and create our next life with? The hopelessly addicted (wholly non spiritual) presumably will be stuck with living out the lot with all the pain and suffering that entails.

[A lot of our limitations while physical are based on our body's biochemistry and neurological limitations. Initially some spirits might have a problem because they developed mind patterns that are based upon bodily influences. I wonder how long things such as a sex drive will stay in place when the hormones and sex organs that make sexuality possible no longer exist. Once a spirit finds its way out of such a limited way of thinking, it'll find that there are much greater ways of being fullfilled.]

The exceptions are said to be the realised people that have gotten over this apparently highly addictive package of beliefs/can handle separation from their karmic propensities/can handle the urge to reincarnate, and have started to remember what they truly are again - thus freeing themselves from the need for physical incarnation. They are able if they so choose to remain with Source outside of karmic influences. (many choose out of compassion to reincarnate anyway to help those still bound to physical life)

[Overcoming the influences of the body and this World while in the World is quite a task. I don't believe that most spirits need to do so while occupying a body, because this World was created more for learning purposes, rather than being a huge obstacle that has to be overcome. I believe that the spiritual goal of the human race exists on a more universal level rather than an individual level. The goal is to make this planet a place where it lives more according to love than it does, because right now too many negative incarnational possibilities/film scripts are available.]  

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2008 at 8:08pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2008 at 4:39pm

Quote:
There seem to have been those ('holy' persons) who have chosen to live life with their awareness resting almost entirely with Source.

Realisation involves at least getting to the point where we know experientially that reality lies with Source, and not in C1, and as above no longer being bound to reincarnate. Such a person lives in the overlap.

Should this picture prove true the question of permanence of 'me' is all a matter of perspective. Yes, packages of karmic propensities cycle from life to life appearing to be individuals. So yes, there appears from one perspective to be reincarnation of a 'me'.

Yes there's an immortal piece of Source in there too, but it's in truth not anything that can be characterised as a 'me' in physical life terms. Buddhism uses terms like emptiness to try to get at it. Yet it (or at least a part of it) perhaps also cycles through physical existence until such time as it remembers what it truly is.

It's probably the case that this forgetting occurs for a reason, although not necessarily one  explainable in our C1 terms.

I italicized the line that speaks to me.

The forgetting -- there may be so many things about this forgetting that we simply will never understand while we are here. How would we explain our thoughts, feelings, history and civilization to an animal who does not share our language? How would an animal comprehend us in that way? It would be impossible. Some understanding is possible, but complete comprehension, here in C1, with the remaining abilities we have left in our modern world?

We share certain traits, my "soul" and I, but we are not alike.  I don't compare our C1 personalities with animals to be derogatory in any way. It just seems to be a good example to me.

We learn a good lesson by observing ourselves and how we project many of our own thoughts and emotions onto others, for our own purposes. And our own purposes shift and change continually. I am suspect of any opinion I have of the afterlife and, certainly, of reincarnation.

That being said, cool thoughts. I enjoyed them.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2008 at 12:10am

Varga,

The idea that we lose or identity or only retain a little of it when we merge with the Divine source seems to come up repeatedly. During my NDE, I remained “ME”, as did all my beloved passed over ones I met on the other side.

Yes is true that we progress and finally merge with God, like a separate unique molecules of individual awareness within the Great Ocean of composite awareness we call God.

This final state that I  experience for a brief subjective moment was so unimaginable blissful, peaceful happy and sublimely joyful that it simply cannot be adequately explained over here in the grey sleep like reality we now exist in as mortal humans.

But I repeat we remain ourselves. The alternate is just everlasting death. Total loss of self, what other term can one use?

alan

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Thanks guys.  Smiley I think the views you express are all supportable depending on how we conceive the reality we find ourselves in. When I posted I was trying for a fairly integrated picture based on the Eastern and Monroe influenced views I've heard, but on reflection it's probably all a bit pointless - and even counter productive. (just leads to getting hung up about belief systems)

To your point Blink on the unknowability of all of this. It seems to me on reflection too that the best we can hope to do is play with possible story lines for myths from our very limited physical life perspective.

The immortal words come to mind: 'what the bleep do we know....'

Language reflects the way our mind works, and the reality we imagine. But our C1 conscious  mind is so limited, and out of the infinite possibilities sees so little (seems only in fact to perceive what it can conceive or can describe) that I don't think we can possibly hope to reach a view that's worth arguing about.

My sense is that there's not much room for beliefs in this space. In that we can believe what we like, but whatever it is it's probably only going to become an impediment to progress in that it'll only cause us to perceive selectively.

The whole deal is like trying to figure out a Rubik's cube of infinite dimensions. Letting go of beliefs, or at least using them only as stepping stones to be discarded when we get to the stage of direct perception and knowing seems to be the game.

Mind it seems extends from here to Source/Unity/God, with the option for awareness (depending on the belief systems programming it) to be placed anywhere on the continuum. From a view (if we draw on some of the bits of experience we and others report) that leads to its naively thinking it's only a part of a physical and independently existing me, through becoming a me that can touch the edges of the spiritual/collective/no space/no time realm while accessing the whole evolutionary/past life script, through multiple differing realities, and on to eventually to Source where omniscience and freedom from beliefs make possible absolutely anything.

With the added complexity that results from time being only a local perception (it's seemingly all happening at once), and from the successive seemingly separate realms (the separations exist only as a matter of perception) actually being parts of an infinite continuum.

Buddhism of course suggests that it's this tendency to see things as separate (me, all the other things) that leads to the pain we experience in this existence - that this is the core lesson we're required to learn at this level.

But that too is presumably just one view. The reality is presumably that there's an infinite number of purposes in play at an infinite number of levels, all neatly dovetailed to feed whatever purpose God or Source has for it all...

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Hi all     I have to say that you are who you are, when you cross over as my dad aint changed or i would not recognise him through a medium and reincarnation is definetly not on my agenda when i cross over, as i no way am coming back to this sad excuse for a world and as God is my witness i have come out of my body and my spirit looked pale yellow so it is definetly a fact our spirit, which we have all got comes out when we die.

Love and God bless    love juditha                    
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2008 at 4:48pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2008 at 8:43pm

How else did your spirit look, Juditha? I mean, what, sort of, texture was it, and how did you comprehend it? Like, how did you feel when you saw it?

love, b

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2008 at 8:26am

Hi blink  I felt amazed when i saw my spirit,there was the proof in front of me as i always beleived but to witness it actually happen was great.
When it happened i had a really loud vibration in my head ,which i had never experienced before and as this vibration started my spirit came out parrellel to my body as i was laying down at the time and i was looking at my spirit and it was beautiful and a very pale yellow colour and it looked what i would describle as like a shimmering satin texture but not heavy looking like satin on earth,my spirit was laying half way across my body and it proved so much that our spirit really does exist and then i just went back into my body.
  That's why  i've used God as my witness here,who i would never use unless i was telling the ultimate truth as i would be to afraid to use God as my witness if i was lieing.Because i wanted to prove on here that it is all fact.

Love and God bless       love juditha

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2008 at 9:04pm

Judithia,

You said,

Quote:
Hi blink  I felt amazed when i saw my spirit,there was the proof in front of me as i always beleived but to witness it actually happen was great.
When it happened i had a really loud vibration in my head ,which i had never experienced before and as this vibration started my spirit came out parrellel to my body as i was laying down at the time and i was looking at my spirit and it was beautiful and a very pale yellow colour and it looked what i would describle as like a shimmering satin texture but not heavy looking like satin on earth,my spirit was laying half way across my body and it proved so much that our spirit really does exist and then i just went back into my body.
  That's why  i've used God as my witness here,who i would never use unless i was telling the ultimate truth as i would be to afraid to use God as my witness if i was lieing.Because i wanted to prove on here that it is all fact.

Love and God bless       love juditha

Yes dear you had the beginning of a profound conscious out of body experience as the vibration or buzzing indicates. . Perhaps you should have waited and let the event continue and you might of experience things even more beautiful than you did.

love

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Alfred

UK
Reply #9 - May 14th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Alan -

You mentioned briefly in your post before last about your NDE.

Have you put a description of the experience elsewhere on this Board? - I would be very interested to read of it!

Best wishes,

Alfred

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2008 at 1:30am

Alfred,

I posted it as a personal message  to you as I did not want to repeat the post.

alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2008 at 3:00am

Interesting thread Ian. I'm trying to condense the many questions arising from it into just one question but I think I shall fail!  Smiley
but if I tried the question always ends up Who and What Are We?

This who and what are we question is at the top of Bruce's beginning statements in his books and is the thesis for most all book I read. perhaps we learn the answers by relating together so thanks for the post.

its for sure my tree doesn't talk back to me much about such things..yet it does talk.

In regards to higher self and lower self, we might think in those terms for simplicity of communication. You and I usually talk of the ego as the lower self, while we might call the ego the personality as well.

I believe personality is not the true eternal self, but an acquisition of the true self, or disc self could be pertaining to the Unlimited self. The creative Self. C1 refers to a limited type of focus. Limited, but not in a negative sense. If we're thinking of the purpose of living, or the meaning to be derived from a life, in order to accomplish any objective in life a certain narrowed viewpoint, a point of concentration is necessary. ELS is an objective oriented system, although the beginner here often complains the reverse, that they are subjected to the limited confines of the brain apparatus and collective society, which, such society you've noticed is also having a limited viewpoint.
the purpose and meaning even Monroe was not able to put sufficiently into words, of the graduates who came off this planet..only that they were satisfied, he implied.
Such satisfaction we might all wish as well..I simply call it attainment of a peace of mind which passes understanding because it is not accessible to intellectual debate or describable in language, such language can not achieve communication of what peace does and is, as a feeling, as it's a way of being rather than a feeling.

Focus is like being the probe of higher self, disc. we as our higher self plan with family members (disc selves) to play certain roles in a drama, then plunge into it and play it out, forgetting who we were before, often changing roles in subsequent lives to learn certain things in our evolvement back into our wholeness.  Karma or accepted belief patterns is not a penalty in the sense that nobody is forced into being a human passing here..but I know sometimes it can feel like we just entered the hot fires of hell..is the reason for suicide..I think in some cases, the cry for help went unanswered and these are not held in recrimination once they pass back to spirit. they are just shown what could have been done to avoid bailing out.

the part of me which did an impulsive deed to another, is a character flaw I had which I wished to rectify from another time period. I carried this part of me within my now identity, and so for simplicity, I must own this other me as a whole, complete personality/ego, otherwise I would not have been able to see her as somebody else who did the deed, as that would be then, not taking responsibility for my actions and shucking them off on some other person that I was.

You either did the deed, or you didn't do the deed. I was in error as I was too passionate in my love of the people. I also viewed several other lives where I defended people or ideals. I carried the same traits life to life. I was still not controlling my nature, and acted in reactionary terms, possessed by the familiar ego shortcomings.

so we might say the incarnating is to learn to control one's reactionary propensity, where physical harm is done to another, even if shooting someone just to watch them die, seems like fun. you pay the price sooner or later.
the irony is that the other party whom was the victim, and yourself agree to come back and play a different role in order to learn to control the passions and get back to the love part. For these victims, they are agreed in the plot beforehand of what might take place for them, if they are not doing right by others and also causing their own demise, or that possibility..for nothing is absolute in the plan..it's lets jump in and try to stick to the plan of waking up here, but we are going to have to ask for assistance to totally wake up, as evidenced violence is still seen as a solution today.

the simple viewpoint is for me to not make it complicated with the way a singular ego can continue to question and yet never be satisfied until it finally gains it's own communication with source which automatically makes it quiet down.
communication with Source is the very essence of being loved and of joining as this Love which only welcomes even the worst of us, as we perceive ourselves as being "bad."
there has never been a word to replace the meaning of grace descending. and on the just and unjust.

the main benefit to viewing other lives and dealing with that, is the appreciation gained for that particular life, for each ego and personality, as I see it, is continuing within it's own dimension of actuality, and yet as part of the total disc, and all are mine, all are my unlimited being.

this appreciation promotes one to a wish to promote others in their struggle to understand, we are all one, and we are the essence of Love.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2008 at 7:56am

Thanks Alysia, it's a complex subject, and one that triggers fears about the survival of the me/personality which inevitably slant our thinking. And that's before issues of language and individual conditioning  further confuse the picture.

Not to mention that we are left trying to use mostly our relativistic intellect to make sense of what is probably largely an absolute matter - even if we can stumble to one supportable view of what's going on it's probably only a tiny part of the overall.

I think your 'who am I' question is a nice way of encapsulating the debate. There's certainly been some  highly regarded teachers that have suggested that. The answer mind you may suggest that it's nothing to do with a personalised 'me' or 'I'.

Maybe the simple answer to the associated 'why' (or what's going on) is that it's a  generalised testing of the primacy of love in the most adverse circumstances imaginable. (a reality where the delusion of individual self-hood holds sway)

My personal inclination is along the lines of what you wrote (which is a fairly traditional view) , but I try not to turn it into a belief. That the ego/personality is only the operating software for the physical entity and the reality that we temporarily inhabit - but that because it's hard to separate it's outputs from those of source/higher self that we mistake the physical and its operating software for 'me'.

But that the true 'me' is as you say really the higher mind/disc/piece of source existing outside of this space/ time reality. That what ultimately survives is basically this and its payload of the results/attributes of the experience.

Even this view may demonstrate bias. We know the body dies. My sense is that the personality in the form it manifested here remains on the shelf in the afterlife and available for use in some way or another (perhaps the attributes are extracted for use by another incarnation, perhaps it's only a set of problems to be adopted by and worked by the next piece of Source going through into existence), but does not ultimately survive.

There are fairly clear signs in for example the bardo teachings that we separate from personality (karma) after death, but that somehow we (or something else) reconnects with it to be reborn.

I'm not sure about re-incarnation in the way its commonly described either, in that the quantum science outlined in a book like The Field suggests that since time/space is only a local phenomenon we could just as easily be accessing the past/future lives of ourselves or others, or past personalities (like the discarded shells). The theory that sequential reincarnation on a timeline of a personalised me takes place may include quite a lot of ego centric wishful thinking.

My suspicion is that we are due to a personality centric viewpoint inclined to construct theories of the survival of personality around the data points we access through afterlife and other non-ordinary experience. Which perhaps explains why the Eastern traditions don't equate psychic abilities with realisation.

It's just as possible that the disc/source arranges for successive emanations to adopt personality shells/attributes/problem sets from other lives and sends them (with a large measure of forgetting) into a physical life which for it is only a virtual reality - that these emanations don't amount to individual reincarnations of a 'me personality' in any of the ways conceived by our conceptual mind.

How this is seen is all a matter of viewpoint. The personality we consider 'me' may in fact be in a situation rather like that of the doomed android in Blade Runner. It looks like a person, behaves like a person, maybe even feels like a person, but is in the end maybe only a programme.

Until we can truly answer the 'who am I?' question we can never be sure if it's a person or a machine.

This all brings me back to what I suspect is the essential issue in progress towards realisation - that what matters is dropping the attempts to force our conceptual and biased views on reality and going with the flow. On the basis that whatever the reality is we'll find out about it in due course, and that provided we don't allow delusional beliefs to interfere we'll be just fine....

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:29am

Can I add my opinion?

My own experiences and travels have showed me that in this great eternal cycle of life we must progress though maybe many life spans. This was revealed to me that we progress through many realms, dimensions and other planes outside our earthly awareness or memory, and must go through the many necessary rivers of forgetfulness.

In what I call the rivers of forgetfulness, we deposited all the memories into the amalgamated ocean of memories, where we will eventually combine with our higher selves becoming and remembering the great beings we really are...

The final river I the “Great River of Recall”, where we combine all these many life memories into the Great Source we mostly call God.

At this stage, strange at it seems we remember our individuality, but have are also have all the power and intellect of the composite mind of all other living beings as well as that of the Source or God. While we are not God because God can now trust us, we can exercise Godlike powers of Co-creators. Guys this is so wonderful euphoric and unimaginably awesome that I cant wait, can you.

Some might say that Alan is letting his imagination get the better of him. But out there in unimaginable vast great of all existence, we simply cannot imagine with our still earthly restricted mind anything that is impossible.

Some would say in horror that I am blaspheming, but I know I am not because during my NDE I had this exact experience, be it briefly, where I experience the absolute euphoria of knowing everything and feeling all-powerful..

Now I have used the term “Final”  only in the sense of the finality of that "Stage" in great wheel in the never-ending ceaseless progress and process of creation.

I hope I have not got ahead of myself but that is my own input for what it is worth

alan 

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:10am

It seems to me Alan that blasphemy only exists as a concept in the minds of those intent on controlling what's deemed 'truth' for personal advantage.  That the reality is that far from there being a problem with our exploring and trying to make sense of it it's actually a great deal of why we are here.

Imagination is likewise to me the creative part of the learning process - without it there could only be the stasis of personalities with fixed viewpoints and beliefs circling ad infinitum.

It only becomes a problem if out of ego we lock down what we imagine into a belief system, and out of fear we attempt to defend and force it on others. We probably need to be a little wary of how we interpret what we perceive too, in that mind seems to have a way of causing us to see what we want to see.

The view that individuality is only a point of view we can choose to adopt at times, and that with progress ever higher levels of integration and realisation take place feels right to me too though. As does the idea that it's not an either/or situation - one and all is possible, and probably all at once.

My own experience while not perhaps as graphic as yours has likewise left me knowing that personality   is at best just a vantage point, and that the thinking/conceptual mind is a part of this existence but far from the whole.

Quite how it all hangs together as a system I can't tie down though.

Maybe the way we experience life and individual existence is like the way a novice in a debating society is  required to argue a from a viewpoint that's not his real one, only in our case the forgetting you mention results in 100% identification with our brief....
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 11:09am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.