Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Something strange 2 (Read 10752 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Something strange 2
Dec 18th, 2007 at 1:51pm

Smiley Just to report an interesting 'first' from two nights ago. I've been working with elements of dream yoga from a Tibetan Buddhist book  - meditating until I drop off to sleep with a view to maintaining awareness while asleep. It's still a work in progress, but i have managed brief snatches.

You've probably heard me report meditative experience, but little by way of conventional realities.

It seems to have triggered not quite my first but certainly my first more extended (conscious) period of what felt like an OOB experience. I've no idea what the significance was or if it had any meaning, but  it started with my coming back from sleep to awareness in a darkish room. It felt like it was night and that whatever dim light  - maybe moonlight - was around came from outside. It seemed like a flat sided hut perhaps framed in bamboo or something and with maybe fabric matting walls - certainly not a modern house.

There was what looked like a tall, probably Indian/Asian old lady standing at the far side of the room behind what looked like a low sleeping platform, with a shawl or headscarf and what was maybe a sari (more like some fabric wrapped around her shoulders) on - it was too dark to clearly make out colours, but it seemed like she was poor and just plain worn out. And sad. Her features were mostly in shadow.

She didn't move other than to slightly tilt her head, but she seemed aware of me, and to be looking  intently in my direction - I hope I didn't scare her, although it didn't seem that way. I was struggling a little to think clearly, and to make sense of the situation - I was momentarily a little nervous, and then  there was just this sense of feeling sorry for her. I never reached any clear decision on what to do and found myself awake in bed with what felt like clear recall after a few minutes.

It didn't feel at all like a dream. There was none of the usual surreal feeling. The context was both unlikely but very normal and ordinary at the same time. Nothing much was happening.

Not sure what to make of it, or what if anything was required of me. Maybe it was just a trial run...

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Re: Something strange 2
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 2:21pm

Wow, that must have been a very unique experience. I cant verify but the first thought which came to mind when I read this had been a self induced OBE. Your soul traveled to her, question is "Why"? There are some people here that know way more than I about OBE`s. However I think its great that you did such a trial run being that there is a soul whom "noticed" you being there. What I am wondering is this too: If you would have been more focused or more experienced in doing such, would the apparent darkish room been more lighted? Are you planning to return to her?

Love and hugs,
Nanner

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:50pm

Vajra:

Here's what comes to mind for me. I can't say if it is 100% accurate.

First of all, I figure your higher self or some form of spirit guidance created this experience for you. They are trying to help you out.

The Indian lady is a symbol for how in Eastern thought the creative aspect of being isn't allowed to be a part of the equation. She is sad because she wasn't allowed to manifest as the creative aspect of being. According to Eastern thought she's been considered to be nothing but an illusion to be dispensed with.

Eastern thought often tends to say there is only one "self." The viewpoint that source being worked things out so that in the end many selves/beings/souls get to share an eternal state of perfected oneness and love with each other is negated.

With the one self viewpoint I figure just one of us will get to be the only self that survives in the end. Chances are that none of the people on this forum will get to be the one self. In fact, chances are, no member of the human race will get to be the one self.

Or,

Perhaps it is possible that consciousness and energy can be formed so that that despite what an eastern tradition such as Buddhism claims, there is a such thing as a self, an individual entity, a soul.  If everything is God, the one self, the one mind; then wouldn't this be true even if God/one self/one mind manifested in many ways?

Will one ever let go of that which seems to make one feel separate from all others, if one believes that this will lead to one's extinction?
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2007 at 8:47pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:54pm

My guess, based on your description and lots of similar instances from others, is that this is a look at your prior life. Or one of them, anyhow.

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 4:06pm

Dave:

Perhaps the lady is sad because she found out that she doesn't get to be the one self.

dave_a_mbs wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 3:54pm:
My guess, based on your description and lots of similar instances from others, is that this is a look at your prior life. Or one of them, anyhow.

d

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 7:39pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I hadn't really decided anything Nanner, and I'm not too sure how much control I may have. But it sounds like it'd be worth trying to get there in a slightly more 'together' condition.

Interesting question as to what drove it all right R, I guess it happened for some reason. I'm less sure about eastern thought/creative action though, although I could well imagine her suffering in what might have been a society that reduced women to slavery.

A past life sounds like a definite possibility Dave, there certainly was a high level of instinctive empathy. Now that you mention it I had a very brief flash of a probably similar 'jungle' reality about a year ago during an attempt to access past lives which hadn't seemed to amount to much, but like the few other experiences of that sort I'd had I bounced out of it pretty much immediately.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:06pm

Greetings,

Something similiar in the mid-1990's brought me to a conclusion such as Recoverer and Nanner suggest---

Before I found Bruce's books, I was doing alot of reading on Buddhism, as all the admirable people I'd met for awhile were Buddhist. I never seemed to find the good stuff on the principles but I kept plugging away at it and was seriously considering 'officially' changing my religious orientation.
Then I started having such dream experiences as you describe but I was in a hut with a large extended family. Most of the people there ignored me except for a small child who stared at me all the time.
Everything was always wet and muddy as they lived almost on water and how active everyone stayed! I first interpreted the meaning of these dreamvisions socioeconomically as me learning tolerance and respect for a difficult way of life.
After about three repetitions then the dreams stopped and during sleep I started hearing questions in another language . They seemed to wait for an answer and then got more demanding and angry. They started repeating a brief phrase /question ending in "Pauly". I thought Pauly better answer soon or he was going to be in a heap of trouble !
A third and last phase of this was when a face started showing up, floating in front of my eyes as I tried to sleep. Several nights he made direct eye contact and seemed kind, but asked the same sounding questions. I finally got that he was talking to me and I shook my head and denied being Pauly or Polly and that surprised him. --- Smiley See what happened here? Then he appeared to concentrate and we were able to mentally communicate abit. I told him I was just curious about learning medittion and had apparently accidentally contacted him.
This whole series had unnerved me by then and I told myself I didn't want to get into it any further so nothing further happened.

To use Bruce's terms for whatlater resolved, my Disc Family didn't want/need a probe into Buddhism, and so put me into a 'Burmese' household to see life there, thinking I would withdraw my interest. I believe I was somehow put into a compatible vibratory level with real Burmese Buddhists.  Shocked
Sorry that was so long!
In short ---a trial run !
Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:41am

hi Virja,

I feel you visted  Borneo.

Regards
Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:44am

Very possible Alan, it had that sort of feel...

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:03am

I am not exactly sure where I read this, either it was in Quantum Physics or on Peter H. Kirchners site, but there is suppose to be a co-exsisting earth, exactly like ours here, where the timeframe there is a few epochs short of ours though. Maybe you travel there - into their epoch.

Hugs,
Nanner

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 12:16pm

I dunno Ian, this is one of those obe/phasing things I would certainly enter into my log for later reference. I have had similar obes where it took as much as 2 years to begin to unravel the significance of why I had it, in the meantime, just like we are doing here, we are offering interpretations only, sooner or later, you might re-read your log, and just suddenly realize who the woman is, and why you were there, but it does seem it's important to know, because if you are like me, the obe is a rare and tantalizing excursion and I always learn something about myself at the least.

to sum up the answers here just for fun:
1) she's an alternate reality you
2) might be a disc member (see Bruce's reference)
3) you have empathy with her (meaning to that)
4) might be a woman suppressed in another country u r supposed to finish retrieving)

R thinks it's related to Buddhism which suppresses the individual soul which in turn would say we can never be one with god.

Ian, tell me what you think Buddhism says? I'm sorry, I know u talk of this path a great deal, but I still don't see Buddhism quite the same as R. although, I admit sometimes I think you are hard on yourself when reflecting on this pathway of thought, still, I sense you are unfolding exactly as you are supposed to. its just a feeling.
does Buddhism speak of PUL? there must be some talk of that in there. the empathy feeling you had for the woman, is a facet of PUL, my opinion. If you concentrate and ask why, why do I feel empathy for her? you might find yourself getting the answer why you had this obe.

emotions contain rotes of information. maybe thats what may be missing in Buddhism? that emotions are not important communications to self?

if that was true, and just rambling here, you know I like you. but if it were true emotions and empathy were not so important in Buddhism, and if it is saying we must constantly be watchdogs of the ego, I think I'm in trouble.

although I will submit that we are not our emotional body; we are not our belief systems, we are not our physical bodies.  we are spirit using these items for unfoldment and development of uniqueness and character.

and nobody can take away our intrinsic selves, our prized individuality is eternal. I just been realizing the potential in each person is so huge for becoming more of their own self as we all own this ability.
The church of Religious Science had this song we all sung...It's in every one of us, to be wise, we can all do everything, without ever knowing how, its in every one of us, here and now.

so, if it was me and I saw this lady in my obe, I would converse with her and maybe she has something she wants to tell you, since u r linked to her by empathy or PUL.

love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Betson:

Yes, yes, yes! I didn't come here so I can negate the creative aspect of being as if what it creates is nothing more than a meaningless illusion. I've received numerous messages including dreams which told me to forget about the Eastern nihilistic approach.

As opposed to learning to deal with life the Buddha tried to escape it. Not this, not this, until he supposedly thought himself out of existence. Well, "who"/"what" precisely thought its way out of existence? 

Our creative aspect of being is a great gift, and it doesn't go away by pretending it doesn't exist and there is no such thing as a soul.  The trick is to become masters of our creative aspect of being so we can learn to live according to love and wisdom.  I agree with the Buddha that we need to learn to be detached, but we must remember that there is somebody who learns to be detached.

Here's what happens with Eastern meditation. One part of a person's mind focuses its attention until it seems as if other parts of a person's being don't exist. This approach might sort of work for a while, but eventually a person will get to the point where he or she understands that other parts of his or her being don't get dealt with in the manner they need to be dealt with, unless he or she takes the time to deal with them.

I guess it is up to each person to decide. Either what has been created is a big catastrophic mistake that needs to be annihilated, or it is intentional and in the end serves a sublime purpose that has room for "each and every one of us."

Either  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley.....

or just one shocked  Shocked self all by its self for all of eternity.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:47pm

Alysia wrote: "Ian, tell me what you think Buddhism says? I'm sorry, I know u talk of this path a great deal, but I still don't see Buddhism quite the same as R."

Recoverer responds:  "I figure different people need different things. I figure many people benefit from their Buddhist practices. It helps them grow in love and have more control of their emotional energy.

However, the Buddhist teachings I've read clearly state that there is no such thing as an individual soul. Eventually one needs to reach the point where one realizes that one doesn't exist as an individual entity so one's deluded mind stuff disolves away.

Contrary to the above, I've found that there is one large self, call it God if you like, and this self parceled itself out so many beings can exist. Each parcel is a combination of awareness and creative mind energy.  Each of us can use our creative mind energy in just about any way. The goal is to learn to use it in a wise and loving way. Some Buddhist practices will help with this aim, but eventually one needs to get to the point where one sees that one isn't just a mere nothing, but a large wonderful parcel of God. I figure Ian can do such a thing. However, the limitations that are built into the Buddhist approach might prevent him from doing so.   

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:04pm

Thanks Alysia. My inclination is to park it too as the info will probably come with time. The fact that it hooks up with a snatch of experience from last year implies that it probably has meaning, but I'm not sure what. She seemed so very down, maybe she needs a leg up to unstick her. Either way I got nowhere last night  - I was on the way, even getting the physical vibes TMI talk about but something caused me to pop back. Like yourself it's a rare experience for me although that's two nights in a row with some action... Smiley If its to happen it'll happen.

On the Buddhist view of emotion. As ever its (as best I understand it) finely nuanced, and avoids extremes. (the 'middle way' again)

My experience of Tibetan teachers is that they generally embody a very beautiful lightness, openness, humour and caring quality of being without a shred of that rose tinted over emotionality we often get into. To the point where you have to say 'I'd like some of that too please'. As a path it's certainly helped me to unravel a long series of very painful knots in my life.

I can't guarantee that you won't find an unemotional Buddhist, or even a sizeable group as in the case of other traditions. I can't guarantee either that you won't either come in contact with what you could  call over serious Buddhists, even more so in the West - some get far too serious about their observance and unconditional reverence for teachers.

A fundamentalist tendency is a fundamentalist tendency wherever you go I guess. But at least in Buddhism it's diametrically opposed by the teaching. Try for example Chogyam Trungpa's 'Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism' if you'd like a look at this.

Lightening and opening to ultimately become an embodiment of compassion (love) is at the centre of the higher teachings in Buddhism - the Mahayana and Vajrayana views. They position it as the natural and unavoidable consequence of higher consciousness. It's embodied in the Bodhisattva ideal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva . It starts as an aspiration requiring practice (like tonglen which I've spoken of before) but becomes a state of being motivated by the welfare of others. 

The tendency to slate Buddhism as unemotional seems to have originated with early Western commentators who maybe mistook the cultural tendency in some some parts of the East towards a certain inscrutability as being somehow Buddhist, or had a racial, religious, national, cultural or other axe to grind - something which seems to continue in some quarters.

Zen Buddhism didn't cover itself in glory in Japan in WW2, but then i suppose neither did Christianity. Both situations I think were much more a reflection of the consciousness of the peoples concerned  than any adherence to core teaching.

I'd argue too that much of what's perceived as 'Buddhist' behaviour is actually more of a reflection of the local culture.

Buddhism (mahayana anyway which is the variety I know a little about) does take a cautious view of emotion which i've touched on before. Specifically there are good emotions, and bad emotions. There's also the view that very strong emotions imply too much attachment to their object, and that they lead to suffering and wrongdoing. Especially in the case of the kleshas or negative emotions  - namely desire, anger, ignorance, pride and jealousy.

Absence of emotion is not however desirable, it's in effect the feedback mechanism of our mind and especially your heart. Without it you're lost.

The positive or maturing emotions - kindness, compassion, empathetic joy and serenity (aspects of love I guess you would say) are regarded as something to be cultivated   - initially as above through mindful practice, but eventually as a state of mind.

Buddhism has been criticised for not being pro-active enough on social inequality too, but I think that stems from the thought that direct action rarely does good. That as i've written about before it produces just an opposite reaction and an escalation. That the way forward is the raising of consciousness. Our record of go-getting intervention and economic development in the West is probably not so good in the eyes of the 'helped', and may prove disastrous (climate etc) for us all. Starting with the crusades...

I'm not a Buddhist per se, but my sense is that there's great scope for a step forward in the mingling of Western mind and Buddhist teaching...

ian

Here's an excerpt from a lecture on the subject of emotions delivered by the Dalai Lama in Dehli in 2004:

'It would not be correct to say that we should have no emotions. A person without emotions is a person without feeling. He is apt to be dry, distant, cold, friendless, negative and vicious. The important thing is not to harbour negative emotions.

Negative emotions are emotions that are immature, narrow and cloudy. For example, attachment and hatred are two such negative emotions. When a person sees the world through the prism of attachment, he would conclude that whatever he does is 100% right. And when he sees someone else through the prism of hate, he would conclude that whatever the other person does is 100% wrong. Nothing in Nature is 100% right or wrong. Such a perception is merely a mental projection, that distorts our appreciation of Reality, creating more problems.

Positive emotions are mature emotions because here emotion is combined with intelligence. The application of intelligence leads to analysis and investigation. Analysis leads to conviction. The disciplining of emotion leads to a holistic vision of Reality. Everything is interconnected. If one fails to see the interconnectedness and interdependence, then it is a distorted vision. Examples of positive emotions are faith and Compassion, which can be imbibed only through a training of emotions.

Knowledge leads to conviction. Conviction leads to determination. Determination leads to familiarization. Familiarization leads to change of emotion. The main attempt must be have a clear vision so that we can see Reality as it truly is. Only then can we solve the problems of life.

Cultivation of positive and noble emotions leads one towards Compassion, Contentment, Forgiveness and Self-discipline, in turn producing a calmness of Mind. When there are no ripples in the Mind, it remains clear in its vision of Reality. It sees a problem as it really is and is able to solve it easily. Problems would then be unable to disturb Peace of Mind. But if the Mind is weak, if it is assailed by fear and doubt or too much of unbridled emotion, it would find it difficult to face the arduous problems of life.

Life is bound to be full of problems. Even if there are no other problems, one's own body suffers from the problems of illness, decay and death. If problems are an integral part of our existence, we have to be fully prepared to face these with calmness, placidity and fortitude.'

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:18pm

I would be curious as to whether this was a retrieval opportunity, or glimpse of past life, possibly, Vajra. A very odd feeling when something is experienced so vividly. I can relate to what you said, Bets, too, about a face which appeared to be hovering in the air above you. I have experienced that as well. I saw an old woman's face once, a black woman, no idea why, and she had a sweet expression on her face. She was just looking down on me. It was a peaceful thing.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.