Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Questions on Karma (Read 8186 times)
Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Questions on Karma
Dec 18th, 2007 at 6:03pm

Hi everyone,
first let me say "thank you" for all this PUL in this lovely conversation board Smiley

I am a bit confused about this "Karma thing". I see and hear the word, everywhere.

I am going to use myself as an example for all newbies and I hope to understand the messages being sent when you answer. I am here to learn from you okay.

Lets say Nanner was a very poor man in her previous life, Nanner hurt & killed people so he could have money. Nanner also stole future city planning information out of the city Hall and sold it to the next city about 10 miles down the road, inturn the city inwhich Nanner lived in lost a considerable amount of business and thus lots of businessman had to give up their stores and jobs were lost, people went hungry. Nanner died at the age of 49 of the Pest and didnt understand prior to being deceased "that he did something wrong which effected many peoples lives for the worse"..

Did Mr. Nanner reap bad Karma which he has to "balance out" in his next incarnation, or how does it corilate with his next life?

Thanks for any any all help - this is a brain burner for me...
Ms. Nanner  Smiley

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Re: Questions on Karma
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 8:51pm

Wink You ask the hardest questions Nanner!

I'm no expert and karma is one of the slipperiest questions in Buddhism which even very senior teachers are cautious about, but I'll try some thoughts. Please anybody else come in if you think i'm off beam as I could easily be. The helicopter thread contains some perspectives too.

Go straight to the link below if you want more credible material.

First off karma seems to be a phenomenon that operates in our relative time based reality - at the absolute level nothing we do here can alter realities.

Karma seems in effect to be cosmic checks and balances coming into play.

There's no action that's inherently bad or good - which automatically creates negative or positive karma. Although there's many that take pretty heavy duty mental gymnastics to come up with circumstances where they could be for the greater good.

Actions mixing good and bad may in effect produce  mixed positive and negative karma.

Judging the likely outcome is difficult. For example sacrificing a few for a greater good might seem a good idea (that the positive might outweigh the negative), but it might ultimately turn out the opposite if say the result was to legitimise wrongful actions. e.g. use somebody for medical research and so save many more, but in doing so legitimise such research leading to suffering of many thousands from poorer countries.

By this argument you probably would suffer negative karma for hurting others for money. On the other hand the passing on of information might lead to good (as in the slight upset it caused might result in its being used for the benefit of many more than before), or the opposite if as in your case many suffered as a result of the theft.

Karma (in Buddhist terms) seems to be generated whether or not you knowingly create it. But intention is central. It's not in the end part of an explanation of how the cosmos works.

There are other causes of happiness and suffering in life as well as karma.

It's so difficult because to truly figure the consequences of any given action you have to consider all the dimensions/variables it will influence, and that's not easy - ref. the helicopter thread. A realised person is not influenced by karma i think (cautiously ?) not because they are somehow immune but because (a) at this level their actions will not generate negative karma (will be informed by compassion and wisdom) and (b) anyway are simultaneously not bound to this reality.

The karma for actions completed now may kick in almost immediately, but may not kick in for many lifetimes - there's the idea of karma 'ripening' as very complex chains of cause and consequence come together. Hitler for example could as I said have been a loon ranting on a street corner only for this.

Karma doesn't just apply to individuals, but also to families, companies, tons, counties, countries, races, planets and so on. It's an incredibly complex situation. Differing strands may come together in highly unpredictable ways.

The position for us ordinary punters seems to be that we can't really avoid creating karma, and that includes the negative variety. No matter how hard we try. Which is why it's regarded as wise to maximise our efforts to achieve realisation in this life since we never know what karma is stacked up there waiting to kick in next week, or in the next life or lives. (which could mind you of course be good)

Rule based living (as in Hinayana Buddhism, or as in conventional institutional religion) can only be an approximation to the complexity and highly relative nature of karmic issues in this reality. It nevertheless seems to be the best shot we have in this life. It's not going to keep us 100% clean, but it's got to help - there are actions that clearly do harm (thoughts, words, deeds) which unless avoided definitely will genrate negative karma.

The best bet is probably to get reading somebody more expert. Here's what looks like a decent source of web based information on karma:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/sutra/level2_lamrim/initial_scope/...

Have fun!

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 9:40pm

From a slightly different perspective, karma means "action". It refers to cause and effect. f you fail to put gas in your car, your karmic consqeuence is that it runs out of gas and stops. The cure for that karma is to put gas in the car. That's the simple case.

Motivations and such seem more complicated, but they actually are quite similar. If you are hung up on getting a gold watch for Xmas, then you will tend to shape your life in whatever way seems most likely to succeed in that regard. Given adequate time, you will acquire the gold watch. (In my clinic I occasionally find people who desired marriage, and who eventually got together after several intervening lifetimes. Same kind of thing.) The karmic consequences are that you will have changed the path of your life by being attached to the gold watch. That might be useful, or it might be an interruption of a more valuable activity. It's just a case and effect relationship.

With respect to moral events, to perform an immoral act means that either (1) you know no better and are ignoring that little inner voice that keeps trying to tell you not to do that, in which case your values are screwed up; or (2) you feel that you can do this, even though you know it is immoral, hurtful or whatever, in which case you are probably unaware of what you are doing in an ultimate sense, while trying for short term optimization, which is often why our values get screwed up. Both cases are errors in judgement.

The solution for errors is to stop making them. This is accomplished by first understanding that something doesn't work. (Examination of conscience.) Second, we have to own our actions, so we can repudiate them. (We confess our errors to one another.) Third, we abandon both the actions and their fruits. (Contrition.) Fourth, we do as much damage control as possible. (Penance.) And finally, we go on with life. Notice that this is essentially the Catholic ritual of confession and that it works quite well by separating us from the initial causal actions.

It is not necessary that you will have to experience everything you did to others. That misses the point. It is only necessary to understand what went wrong and that you alter your life style. As an example, we all were selfish brats as infants, and in early childhood we eventually learned that life works better when we respect the needs of others. It is not necessary to go back and relive the mistakes, like not going potty as Mom told us, nor must we relive  their consequences, like pooping our pants. We merely must change our outlook. Otherwise we'd have a lot of adults pooping their britches and crying for Mom because of some arcane connection.

The idea of "justice" has nothing whatsoever to do with karma. Justice is a human idea. The Hammurabbi "eye for an eye" is simply a way to feel better while gouging out your opponents organs because now you can have vengeance, satisfying your rage and hatred somewhat. Justice implies punishment, and punishment is the least useful way to change behavior. The way we larn to do better is generally by reinforcement from things that pay off, regardless of concepts of "justice".

Recall the Prodigal Son. The requirement to return to the Father (or your return to God) was merely to stop doing stupid things. All the pain and agony that we so often associate with that kind of reform is simply because we usually get pretty well beaten up ourselves when we are in the business of hurting others. The karmic aspect is that pissing people off causes us problems. That's not any metaphysical mystery. 

There is a connection between prior actions and life. If we act in an imoral manner, our actions will contain a seed of self-destruction. An example is the tyrant who seeks to impose peace through military attacks and warfare.  That act leads to a sense of personal establishment of a new self-status. But it is based on an error. It cannot survive.

If nothing is done, later on that part of the person's definition will lack validity, because it is based on error, and the error will tend to spread into related areas etc. This limits access to life. It appears that schizophrenia may be one of the results when the errors involve most of the self-definition of the actor. "I am the meanest SOB on earth and I am wonderful because I can tear the ears off my opponents." This puffed up idea may dominate life today, but is in error. It will cause later problems because the errors do not survive rebirth, leaving a person with defective and disjointed thought patterns which are related to the self-defined role of the prior life.

Those who reject the error and live a good life can restore access to life by rebuilding the parts that were damaged by errors. In one case I know of a person who participated in a murder, and later became a surgeon, in which capacity he daily saves lives, a compensatory action that has restored him to a good life.

In summary, if we focus on loveing kindness and global oneness, joyful actions for the universal benefit, and on logical understandong and increasing awareness, then we have gotten rid of the errors to that degree. By maintaining those good works, we cease to create negative karma. We next enter "satchitananda", which Catholics call "the state of grace", and everything is OK thereafter. In that sense, karma is what we do to ourselves due to attachments to stuff that doesn't work. Getting rid of attachments to stuff that doesn't work ends negative karma. The final purgation of errors is nirvana, in which our attachments to useless stuff gets "blown out", extinguished due to lack of interest.

Interestingly, I spent most of last night recalling my own mistreatment of my associates in the past. In those areas of life in which I was tardy in recognizing that I had screwed up, I found that I was rejected. In areas in which I worked to make a difference, I was accepted. That's not mysterious - nobody likes a person who messes things up. Nothing even remotely mysterious about it.

Happy holidaze! Let this be a season of rebirth!

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:49pm

Yeah, cool, what Dave said.

I guess I imagine it's like what kind of coat I might wear on a given winter morning. Do I need a heavy one? No. But, more than a sweater, maybe. How about the grey cape. Yeah, that's just right. But, I don't get that we are really choosing the coat...more like we're sort of grabbing one in passing. Maybe yesterday we were too cold, so today we overdress. It seems so tricky to me...besides, where I live they say that if you don't like the weather, wait two hours.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 6:01am

Nicely written Dave! Thanks

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 7:06am

WOW...Fantastic answers.  Seriously...!
I am impressed.

And to think I was going to tell Nanner she has to have an Astral Fling with Dood to clean up all of her Karma. Cheesy

Nanner knows that Dood teases her....greatly!

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 7:25am

dave_a_mbs wrote on Dec 18th, 2007 at 9:40pm:
......Interestingly, I spent most of last night recalling my own mistreatment of my associates in the past.
Happy holidaze! Let this be a season of rebirth! dave

OOOooh Dave that is very interesting because after reading all the threads, I got away from the pc, sat down took out a sheet of paper and divided it into 4 sections. childhood days / youth / young adult / adult. I wrote down in each section so far what I can remember doing to others which I felt "changed their life or hurt them. 

In my little project I can already see that as of young adult age, the list got longer however not so tragic...Adult was therefor more tragic or impactful. 

Nanner

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 7:28am

Old Dood wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 7:06am:
And to think I was going to tell Nanner she has to have an Astral Fling with Dood to clean up all of her Karma. Cheesy
Nanner knows that Dood teases her....greatly!

What are you talking about Old Dood, we`ve already had our Astral Fling and since I caught you havin it with so many, I`m cuttin you off - be gone in the dog house!...  Grin I am a one man astral fling kinda Nanner...

U crack me up! I need that though and am very happy that you are here messin with my mind.

Love to all,
Nanner

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:35am

Hi! Nanna,

My view on Karma is disbelief and I find it illogical I posted a thread earler "My difficulties with Karma and Reincarnation"

I dont like being punished for something I cant remember or having to live over and over again. As for me I am going to move on to higher things into my beautiful realms and dimentions much better than this monocrome earthly existence. For those who insist they are going to be born again and again, God will give them their wish. "But I know for absolute surity that my next existence will not be confined to this earth"

Love

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:56am

Alan McDougall wrote on Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:35am:
My view on Karma is disbelief ...." I dont like being punished for something I cant remember or having to live over and over again. As for me I am going to move on to higher things into my beautiful realms and dimentions much better than this monocrome earthly existence. For those who insist they are going to be born again and again, God will give them their wish. "But I know for absolute surity that my next existence will not be confined to this earth" Love Alan

Ya know - I can understand your point very well. I had asked the question on the Karma for Lucy on the www.jenseits-de.com Q&A forum and the answer had been that "we vastly misunderstand Karma". So if we on earth vastly misunderstand it then we are setting up our expectations in a dogmatic way. Stiffening our reality instead of expanding it.

Being born again only allows the soul to experience more, experience different realities and Lord only knows if there is even a number which can be placed on the different realities we experience.

That you know for certianty that "you do not want another earth run" I believe too. From teaching of many religions or some secret teachings one is told that the experience on earth is one of the most "impactful" experiences for a soul. And looking at "history books" I can relate to that exact sentence. There has been times where I would surf looking up catastrophy information, info on all the wars and its casualties, hunger, death, birth, firearms, bombs, shootings, killings, death row inmates, rapes, molestations, mutilations etc. and I sat there and did nothing other than "cry"  Cry 

I embraced all of this information and cried for our world, for we have been given the opportunity to learn and teach new things every day of our lives, have been given the "free will" to choose "what" we want to learn and teach and many of us use this option to teach "hurtful" things. I questioned "why".. and thats when I met the crew from Peter H. Kirchner.

You and I may dance in a way off Galaxie later, reflecting back on our epoch on earth saying, "that one was enough for me to have understood that loving another regardless of circumstance is the only true feeling there ever really was".
Nanner

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 8:59am

I guess we each have to make our own calls Alan.

I can't know how karma works or even if the framework is broadly indicative of some reality (except at the level of everyday life where it's fairly clear that my actions have consequences, and some fairly definite suggestions that karmic issues are at play in my present life) but (b) it seems fairly likely that I can't just arbitrarily decide where I'm headed for next time up.

I'm rather hoping it's not the vengeful God, devils, hell and eternal suffering model that applies.

The reality we're left with though is that it's hard to avoid the conclusion that egotistical and selfish behaviours lead to unhappiness ......

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:22am

Well Alan, I can understand 'what' you are saying then again you said yourself that "you can't remember..."

That being said then how can you say you will NOT come back?

My meaning is this....maybe you already 'made a deal' to keep coming back until you fully 'Get It'.  
BUT, you might just not 'remember' saying or decreeing such a statement.

I would love to say..."Nope, I have had enough on this 3rd dimensional plane".
I can't say I will not becoming back because I might have said something to the effect of "I agree to come back until I am 'aware' enough for this level of my existence."

Just thought I would throw that out there...

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:58am

Hi! Guys,

Nanna, dear, you are a compassionate soul having cried for the whole world. I believe your tears of sorrow did more good for peace on earth than all the efforts of the United Nations orgination since its foundation. What would be the enormous effect if all good peole wept like you did? Your tears moved the very hand of God

How do I know that this is my last incarnation or existence on this earth. I am an old weary soul looking for a city not made by man but by God.

I have a deep inner knowledge, from the Divine Source that I am going to progress to higher things when shed this mortal body.  The mortal body had been a real burden to me as I have had to endure and overcome unspeakable health problems.

I am already in this life and out of this life daily if you get my drift

Love you all,

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 10:20am

Yes I understand Alan and that is a sure sign, so to speak. I am happy for you Alan, really happy. Hope you are too. Yes the tears must have been impactful, I certainly know they were genuine and full of Agape love for all living and deceased beings of our planet. The fact that I dreamt that night the phrase "angels should not be made to cry" confused the poopy doop - out of me. Hinse I use this phrase a few times. But I look at every humanbeing, animal, plant, insect as beinging an angel ever since. My partner literally gets mad at me, for "catching any spiders" or "flys" during summer using a cup and then letting them go instead of just using the nearest magizine to mash them with.

Yes Alan, I find you will raise to a higher consciousness level which will carry responsibilty with it.

Hugs,
Nanner

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 1:54pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH Man - oh Man..

I decided to jump off of the bridge into cold water, and I just burnt my butt folks. Want to share this with you.

After reading and writing towards the topic - Karma - I decided I was going to search for a Karmaastrologist in germany,  (didnt even know there was such a thing..lol) Now I do.

This beautiful soul did a Karma reading for me. I am still floored!

Heres the scoop on some of it.

She saw 3 lives which I`ve lived on "earth" so far, whereby I am in my 3rd.
I was a woman in the first one, a man in my last one and guess what, a woman in this one (like you have noticed that already huh?) Roll Eyes

In my first life I was a bi**h from hooter-town (fictive town, just using the term for laughs), I used every male that I could claw my hands on, I was a very very bad woman. She said I was a very very beautiful woman though. I laughed, and she said "I mean that seriously", you were extraordinary blessed with all attributes which a male would want in a female, but you were mean to their souls, and you took em for everything they had and bled there soul down to starvation of it. I asked if I were a prositute or something like that, she said "no" a regular woman in life - no higher nor lower living standard.

I chooked coughed and said "are you telling me I was Dracula`s ole lady and sucked the blood out of all these guys or what". She said "sort of like that" just on a material basis. You ate them up for everything it was worth. You knew "no love at all", that word didnt exsist for you. That gave you very bad Karma, for you didnt practise love at all either.

In my next life I was a male, there too I was a horrific person, I killed, stole, raped, beat and hurt many, I was thrilled by the sensation of anger, hate and such. I was positioned in higher standard in life on earth and used my authority for negative purposes. So I said Quote un`Quote: "Awwww Scheisse", whats up with my common sense, didnt I know back then "what comes around goes around".. She tells me, "yes, you did know the difference you choose however to ignore this fact".. Again bad  bad Karma...

well then she goes to my "this life" and stops talking for about 3 min.  
and says, Honey - you`ve graduated!  
I say: "what?"
She said, OMG you have been thru so much in this life that you cleaned up the fatel mistakes of love ...

and then she goes on into telling me "what I have been thru in this life so far"- ( I can tell you the woman named "each single situation for real") U felt naked, bare butt naked! I sat there and started to shiver from head to toe - still am folks. Feel like I have the shakes, really weird right now.

But in anycase - she tells me - you`ve graduated, so I said "now what, am I gonna drop dead and cross over or what": She continues with, "your destiny is now to help and provide others with insight until you return home". She told me about my health right this moment, when it started, why it started, told me when it started to return to normal, told me about my being raped, beaten, shot at, stabbed, about the children I have helped, and the souls which are in my apartment right this very minuite,

Theres much more which she said however I need to calm down first.. and we`ll talk about it later maybe..

Wow what an experience. I felt like I was naked and being seen straight through.

Has anyone ever had something like this done for them?
Nanner

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.