Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Mental Mediumship: A Reply to Bruce Moen (Read 61040 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Mental Mediumship: A Reply to Bruce Moen
Reply #90 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:29pm

heisenberg69 wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:03am:
'As far as I can tell it is rare for a medium to be in contact with an actual deceased loved one.  It is possible of course, just unlikely in my opinion.  More likely is being in contact with another spiritual being that has the ability to access memory in a "database" if the medium doesn't have the ability to access it themselves.'

Hi Kathy,

I'd be interested to know how you came to this point of view.

D

Hi Dave,

LOL Smiley You may be asking for my life's story here...
My viewpoints as with anyone else is based on my life long understanding of what I've learned through experience and my attempt to make sense out of it.

Briefly, I believe studies show ADC with a loved one takes place about 50% of the time during the first year after death.  The communication in most of the cases I know about was instigated by the deceased loved one directly to a loved one still alive as a reassurance, without the need for a medium.  The purpose seems to be to not only provide comfort, but also to open the person still living to larger possibilities as well as giving them encouragement to live life fully.

After the initial reacclimation to the spirit realm, the person known in our memory no longer exists as that same person.  They have moved on and communication with them would likely be extremely difficult.  Believe it or not but our "guides" can and do a lot of impersonations if it is deemed helpful to one's spiritual growth.  In addition, what we may or may not "see" in non-physical reality is based on our own consciousness, beliefs, expectations and what we are able to understand as well as what might promote our spiritual growth.

It certainly is possible a medium is in contact with an actual person, but I see it as unlikely.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #91 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 6:23pm

Hi Kathy-

I totally agree with you.  My own experiences corroborate what you posted.

Re guides impersonating loved ones, ES also warned about the credibility (or lack of same) of information gained from those in the spirit plane.  He pointed out that those disincarnate entities that contact living persons are likely to be entities of a lower level and thus of dubious character.  Deception seems to be the name of their game.

Another reason, btw, to avoid ouija boards!

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #92 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 6:42pm

Dr. Soal visited Blanche Cooper to contact his deceased brother, not Gordon Davis.   Gordon Davis interrupted the session to express his concern for his "wife and kiddie" who survived him.  GD "verifed" his identity to Soal with characteristic diction and expressions  and details that Soal could confirm from the school days together.   GD portrayed himself as dead when in fact the real GD was alive and knew nothing about this channeling.  So telltale characteristic speech and impressive details of which the medium was ignorant are not argument for genuine contact.  So at most Cooper was tapping the reail GD's mind for paranormal details.  Right?  Wrong for 2 reasons: (1) GD clairvoyantly disclosed the real GD's future; e. g. details about furniture arrangement and structure of GD's new home, a home he hadn't even purchased yet!  So it's unlikely thet the medium discerned these detail from the real GD's mind.  (2) Why isn't channeling refuted in this way more often?  Well, Dr. Soal had been wrongly informed that GD had been killed in action during World War I.  How often are we wrongly informed about a friend's death?  So Dr. Soal's false belief in GD's death seems to have been a factor used by Cooper to reconstruct GD's personality and ife detals by ESP.  Cases like this shift the burden of proof to the person who wants to claim genuine contact with the deceased on the other side.  So should the Gordon Davis case be explained thrrugh super-ESP or spirit impersonation?  I don't know and don't need to know to detect a serious flaw in claims of genuine contact through channeling.

Add to this the exposures of channeling through the invention of loved ones and their personality profiles that are paranormally discerned by the medium and channeled as if these ficticious characters are alive and communicating from beyond the grave.  Such cases do not prove that no channeling is genuine, but IMO they make channeling the least likely explanation.         
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2012 at 10:35pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #93 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 10:25am

Don-

Re channeling, I do think there are some things that do represent actual contact with the other side although the claimed source of the material is no doubt false.

Take ACIM for example.  No way did Helen Schucman sit down and write that book.  In fact at the end of her life she hated the damn thing.

IMO it was channeled via Schucman by a disincarnate entity but certainly not Jesus Christ as claimed.

So yes, channeled material does exist but as you point out, the source of the material is not who it is claimed to be, whether the source says he's Jesus or whether he says he is your dear departed Uncle Bart.

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #94 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 2:45pm

Hi R,

Have you ever wondered why channeled entities never begin to speak the way we would?  e. g.
"I was performing activity X (detailed description), when I felt a buzz (signal--the astral equivalent of a cell phone call) indicating that you wanted to communicate with me.  I'd love to hear your questions and I have so much about life over here that I'd love to share with you to encourage you in your journey." 

Don

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:53pm

Yes, that question has bothered me for a long time.  For instance, John Edward tells someone that their departed spouse is doing just fine, along with all sorts of trivial stuff designed to make the person think that he really has contacted her husband.  Other mediums do the same thing.

But never do they provide substantive information that everyone would love to know.  What's it like where you are?  What are your activities?  What have you learned about the purpose of life?

Instead we get meaningless stuff like "your husband always liked that blue dress......"

Do you recall years ago when Bruce was in contact with his departed engineering friend Ed Carter?  Ed was providing technical assistance to Bruce regarding the development of Bruce's afterlife communication device.

Now, the very nature of technical assistance is that by definition it has to be detailed.  Given that fact, I always wondered why Ed didn't provide specific information about the kind of universal questions we all want to know.  What a golden opportunity!

In all fairness, maybe Ed did and Bruce might be compiling it for a future book.  If so, it will make for a fascinating read!

R

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #96 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 5:17pm

Rondele-

'Instead we get meaningless stuff like "your husband always liked that blue dress......"' yes meaningless to the unconcerned onlooker but maybe not to the bereaved !

' So yes, channeled material does exist but as you point out, the source of the material is not who it is claimed to be, whether the source says he's Jesus or whether he says he is your dear departed Uncle Bart. '

But if channelling imposters exist ( and it probably happens ), why not discarnate loved ones who have, I would argue, the greater motivation to connect ?!

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #97 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 6:01pm

Lights of Love wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:29pm:
heisenberg69 wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:03am:
'As far as I can tell it is rare for a medium to be in contact with an actual deceased loved one.  It is possible of course, just unlikely in my opinion.  More likely is being in contact with another spiritual being that has the ability to access memory in a "database" if the medium doesn't have the ability to access it themselves.'

Hi Kathy,

I'd be interested to know how you came to this point of view.

D

Hi Dave,

LOL Smiley You may be asking for my life's story here...
My viewpoints as with anyone else is based on my life long understanding of what I've learned through experience and my attempt to make sense out of it.

Briefly, I believe studies show ADC with a loved one takes place about 50% of the time during the first year after death.  The communication in most of the cases I know about was instigated by the deceased loved one directly to a loved one still alive as a reassurance, without the need for a medium.  The purpose seems to be to not only provide comfort, but also to open the person still living to larger possibilities as well as giving them encouragement to live life fully.

After the initial reacclimation to the spirit realm, the person known in our memory no longer exists as that same person.  They have moved on and communication with them would likely be extremely difficult.  Believe it or not but our "guides" can and do a lot of impersonations if it is deemed helpful to one's spiritual growth.  In addition, what we may or may not "see" in non-physical reality is based on our own consciousness, beliefs, expectations and what we are able to understand as well as what might promote our spiritual growth.

It certainly is possible a medium is in contact with an actual person, but I see it as unlikely.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

yes ADCs are powerful and they seem to demonstrate that direct experience may be more compellingly evidential to the experiencer than contact through a medium. What I may see slightly differently is that I think we project into the afterlfe looking with physical reality eyes, basing what we think of as possible with that. For example, maybe it is possible that spiritual evolution and connection are not mutually exclusive. If my memory serves me correct I remember Bruce talking of a non-physical meeting with Monroe in which Monroe claimed to be communicating with many other people at the same time. Impossible in the physical, maybe not in the non-physical !

For my own part I try to be as open to as many possibilities as possible and stay clear from dogmatism (not accusing you of that !). When it comes to mediumship it may be that sometimes super-ESP is the best explanation, at other times impersonating spirits and still others genuine contact.  It may even be a combination of all three ! The truth is from our ELS perspective we simply don't know what the rules and limitations (if any) which apply to NPR.

D

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #98 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 8:51pm

I just had the oddest thought.  Imagine if some in the spirit world have an easier time contacting those in the physical world than others.  That might then give you the equivalent of a "spirit medium," - one who could make contact with an incarnated loved one more easily than other spirits. 

However, I've heard it said that those in spirit can see those in the physical world clearly when it suits them.  But, making contact in the physical seems difficult for most and as we know, it doesn't happen often

Spirit mediums? 

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #99 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Johanna Michaelson is one of the cases I cite on this thread of someone who worked enthusistically for a Mexican medium, who, among other things, was used to do psychic surgery with a rusty hunting knife with no concession to anesthetic.  Her siprit control, Hermanito, gushed with love in this work.  But when Johanna diecided to become a Christian, Hermanito turned viscious and sent spirits to attack her.  She writes out this in her book, "The Beautiful Side of Evi.l" I mention this because the major mediums in the first ." half of the 19the century claimed to have spirit controls or, in effect, telephone operators on the other side. 

One such spirit guide (a former French doctor named Jean Scliville de Phinuit) produced wonderful paramormal information. But as for his own identity, he gave enough concrete details about his earth life that he was exposed as a fraud and hence presumably as a spirit impersonator.  Phinuit knew almost no French or medicine and never studied or praticed medicine at the med schools he claimed.  Richard Hodgson was the investigator. 

If mediums in the early and mid=20th centuries needed spirit controls, why not now?  If mediums prior to the 19th centuries generally attributed their channeling to a god or demon, why not now?  Who is to say whose intrepretion of their source is merely the product of cultural conditioning?

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #100 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 6:36am

Berserk2 wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 10:57pm:
Johanna Michaelson is one of the cases I cite on this thread of someone who worked enthusistically for a Mexican medium, who, among other things, was used to do psychic surgery with a rusty hunting knife with no concession to anesthetic.  Her siprit control, Hermanito, gushed with love in this work.  But when Johanna diecided to become a Christian, Hermanito turned viscious and sent spirits to attack her.  She writes out this in her book, "The Beautiful Side of Evi.l" I mention this because the major mediums in the first ." half of the 19the century claimed to have spirit controls or, in effect, telephone operators on the other side. 

One such spirit guide (a former French doctor named Jean Scliville de Phinuit) produced wonderful paramormal information. But as for his own identity, he gave enough concrete details about his earth life that he was exposed as a fraud and hence presumably as a spirit impersonator.  Phinuit knew almost no French or medicine and never studied or praticed medicine at the med schools he claimed.  Richard Hodgson was the investigator. 

If mediums in the early and mid=20th centuries needed spirit controls, why not now?  If mediums prior to the 19th centuries generally attributed their channeling to a god or demon, why not now?  Who is to say whose intrepretion of their source is merely the product of cultural conditioning?

It is my understanding that modern mental mediums have guides (acting as mentors) and modern physical mediums have controls acting as a kind of 'gatekeeper' during the seance; David Thompson's is called William Caldwell. Whether such guide/control's intent is positive or negative we would judge by their words and actions, just as with anyone else.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #101 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 6:59am

DocM wrote on Jun 8th, 2012 at 8:51pm:
I just had the oddest thought.  Imagine if some in the spirit world have an easier time contacting those in the physical world than others.  That might then give you the equivalent of a "spirit medium," - one who could make contact with an incarnated loved one more easily than other spirits. 

However, I've heard it said that those in spirit can see those in the physical world clearly when it suits them.  But, making contact in the physical seems difficult for most and as we know, it doesn't happen often

Spirit mediums? 

I would say that was a reasonable proposition. People in the physical vary greatly, assuming they don't change much on the transition, they will vary greatly in the non-physical in their desire and ability to make contact. Mediums say that communication is very much discarnate-led and that that they have their own agenda/motivation. It seems to me that if super-ESP were the dominant cause mediums should be able to access 'dead' information more on sitter demand. However, they say, quite often people expected/desired to show up don't and people not expected do !

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #102 - Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:42pm

heisenberg,

From my reading, only some modern mediuns imagine they use an identifiable spirit control. But let me poat my favorite simple example of a compelling ADC involving a Ouija Board, which can otherwise open the door to negative spirits.  I have shared this incident here a long time ago. 

Harvard professor, William James, has been called the father of modern psychology. He and a friend, Colunbia University professor, James Hyslop) made a pact that whoever died first would try to contact the other from the other side.  Well, WJ died first, and after a year, JH gave up on his hop that WJ would be able to keep his promise.  Then he was contacted by a couple in Ireland.  They had been playing with a Ouija board one day, when insistent message from a William James cama through, telling them to contact James Hyslop.  For a year, they ignored this demand because they had never heard of either man and because the message was too bizarre: "Remember the red pyjamas."  At first, JH dismissed this mesage as nonsense.  But then he recalled a winter trip to Paris he and WJ had taken for an academic conference.  JH's luggage had been misplaced and he needed pyjamas to stay warm; so the 2 men went shopping.  The only pyjamas JH could find were a gaudy red color and JH's friend WJ t eased him mercilessly for his bad taste!  To me, this tidbit illustrates the discarnate WJ's conviction that, after failing to communicate with JH in other ways, this concrete detail was the best way to avoid distortion by the belief system of the receiver.   It illustrate the difficulty of communicating with loved ones back on earth. 

Don

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #103 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 4:07am

Nice example Don, but it also illustrates that its the little details which are most persuasive to the contacted ( and maybe most mundane to the bystander !). I also agree with you that it is probably no simple matter for contact to come through a medium which is why some are better (maybe more experienced  in interpretation of symbols ? ) than others and some may have no more ability than chance and guess work !

As for guides/controls, I have never heard of any working mediums who don't have them but then of course I don't know all working mediums ! I imagine to have mediumistic ability without any control/guidance could be quite a dangerous thing (like dabbling with ouija boards) and I have speculated how many people labelled as schizophrenic may simply be uncontrolled natural mediums.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #104 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 4:51am

For anyone interested, just found a good interview with Prof. Archie Roy, who at 88 years old, is one of the leading, still living, investigators of mediumship (especially the cross-correspondences) :

http://www.aspsi.org/feat/life_after/a073mt-a-Prof_Archie_E_Roy_interview.php

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.