Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How much free will do we really have? (Read 14578 times)
jkeyes

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Tucson,Az
Re: How much free will do we really have?
Reply #30 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 4:05pm

Ok-the question now is, if you, the individual freebird living in the now, you the freebird including all of your sum totals of past, present and future, and you the freebird as part of the collective conscious that has gone before and exists for all time did not create all of your current reality or your view of collective reality, who did?  ???

Remember you can’t blame outside forces because there really aren’t any to be blamed for our own personal view of our reality or our view of collective reality.  Remember that’s all it is unless you choose to view your reality and your view of collective reality through the eyes of outside “experts”.  Even scientists can’t agree on one ultimate objective reality that applies to all things and all individuals. That’s also why the same “bad” thing can happen to different individuals and the reaction to it can be so varied.  Some go into deep depression while others create support groups.   

Your analogy of pressing 300 pounds is good, except how many of us really choose to do this?  As far as physical feats like lifting 300 pounds, walking on fire (which many did in the 70’s), living a healthy life without eating or drinking food or water, etc. reading some of the Hindu mystics experiences, as a start, gives some great examples of these accomplishments.    

Note: I’m defining reality generally as the multi-dimensional universe including but going beyond the merely physical.  Maybe that’s the problem.  Anyhow, what do you think?

Love, Jean

IP Logged

freebird
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 17th, 2005 at 11:35pm

Quote:
Ok-the question now is, if you, the individual freebird living in the now, you the freebird including all of your sum totals of past, present and future, and you the freebird as part of the collective conscious that has gone before and exists for all time did not create all of your current reality or your view of collective reality, who did?  ???

That's an easy one: God.  Smiley

God created me and created you, both our physical bodies and also our spirits.  Every spirit that exists and every physical particle and physical law that exists is a creation/emanation of God.

It is because I believe in God, a Supreme Being, that I believe there is an objective reality which is what is really true in an absolute sense.  God's perspective on reality is objective reality.  Our various limited human perspectives are less accurate versions or perceptions of God's ultimate reality.  They contain some truth and some error.  On the other hand, God contains only truth and no error, because that is by definititon what a Supreme Intelligence is.

Quote:
Remember you can’t blame outside forces because there really aren’t any to be blamed for our own personal view of our reality or our view of collective reality.

If God created us and formed us according to a higher plan that precedes our existence, then yes, indeed we can look to forces beyond ourselves for certain aspects of our view of reality.  For example, God gave each of us a spirit with certain inclinations, and we find ourselves in a body with certain genetic programming, parents, formative experiences, etc.  It is possible that we are allowed to choose what body to incarnate into based on our own free will (although that idea is open to question), but even if so, the way we have chosen is due in part to the tendencies of the will which is an aspect of our spirit which God created.  Therefore, everything we choose is ultimately because of the way God made us.  In the final analysis, if there is a God, then all things proceed from God and all things return to God.  God is all that really exists, and everything else, including us, are merely emanations of God.

That's how I see it.  My view is based heavily on belief in a Supreme Being who is totally in control of everything that exists and occurs.  Within this theistic framework, even our own "free will" choices are influenced by the plan of God beyond our knowledge or control.

Quote:
Even scientists can’t agree on one ultimate objective reality that applies to all things and all individuals.

True.  I would say that is because only God is omniscient.  Limited human beings cannot know everything, because our brains are limited and we are living within the universe, precluding the possibility of looking upon it from an external perspective.  Perhaps when we leave the body at death, we might gain such capabilities of greater knowledge and a superior perspective.

Quote:
That’s also why the same “bad” thing can happen to different individuals and the reaction to it can be so varied.  Some go into deep depression while others create support groups.

There are various reasons contributing to such differences.  Some of it could be because of the level of certain chemicals and hormones in the brain or the condition and number of receptors for neurotransmitters, which strongly influence our thoughts and behavior.  Some of it could be because of the relative strength of different people's spiritual abilities to deal with challenges and overcome them.  Some of it could be because one person has more help from God, angels, spirit guides, or other beneficial external forces than another person.  Some of it could be because of slightly different circumstances or initial conditions that lead to big differences in the final outcome.

Quote:
Your analogy of pressing 300 pounds is good, except how many of us really choose to do this?

My point was that some things are difficult to do and require lots of training to achieve, which shows that human freedom is not inherently absolute, only potentially so.  The same principle should apply in regard to spiritual things such as the ability to conquer great obstacles, perform miracles or overcome the laws of the physical universe through willpower.

Quote:
Note: I’m defining reality generally as the multi-dimensional universe including but going beyond the merely physical.  Maybe that’s the problem.  Anyhow, what do you think?

I certainly agree with you that without the limitations of being incarnated into a physical organism, there should be a much greater degree of free will available to us.  When I argue that free will is limited, I am generally referring to the condition of life on earth in an incarnated condition, not the afterlife beyond the physical world, which we know much less about.

Freebird

IP Logged

jkeyes

Tucson,Az
Reply #32 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 5:59pm

Freebird,

I really appreciate your spontaneous, thoughtful, and kind response of providing me with your view of reality.  Though we may not share the same view, there’s a sense of mutual respect in the exchange. I’ve also noticed it before in your responses to others on this board.  I would suggest that you might consider exploring the afterlife, right now, while you’re in the physical body, but I suspect that you're already doing this as evidenced by your vivid recall that dream you had of Urumqi, of all places.  I’m impressed.  You may chalk it off as just a dream, but I’m really impressed.

Love, Jean   

IP Logged

freebird
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 1:41pm

Jean,

Thanks for your kind words.  A few years ago, I used to be a person who had a tendency to intellectual arrogance and fundamentalism in my beliefs.  Since I realized this was wrong, I have really made an effort to cultivate open-mindedness, non-judgmentalism and respect for different points of view, even if I don't agree with them.  Now, there are only a few core beliefs and principles I hold strongly, and on just about everything else I am somewhat agnostic.  My overall philosophy is that if a person is trying the best they can to grow in the spirit of love, forgiveness, service to others, self-sacrifice, moral rectitude, and a purposeful life, then it doesn't matter so much what all the details are about religion and the afterlife.  We can speculate and think about it and share ideas, and if we are lucky we may have experiences such as dreams and visions, NDEs and OBEs, etc. -- but we will find out everything for sure when we die, and some of what we learn might surprise us.

Freebird

IP Logged

jkeyes

Tucson,Az
Reply #34 - Apr 24th, 2005 at 2:03pm

Freebird,

My overall philosophy is that if a person is trying the best they can to grow in the spirit of love, forgiveness, service to others, self-sacrifice, moral rectitude, and a purposeful life, then it doesn't matter so much what all the details are about religion and the afterlife.

Me too, your're sweet. Love, Jean

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.