Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
a little off topic...tv question (Read 8585 times)
Lucy

C1
a little off topic...tv question
Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:27am

What do y'all think of that new TV show, "Medium" (other than its being the usual vehicle for too much tv violence)? Is any of it "realistic"? What does it say about beliefs in the general public that sponsors will support this (is this good news or not or does it depend on how long it runs? Actually the plot line seems a little think to support a long-time run). It is supposed to be "based" on a real person but I forgot her name.

IP Logged

Linn  Conyers
Ex Member

Re: a little off topic...tv question
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 3:33pm

Hello There,   
                              This is certainly not off topic, as a practicing Medium who sees spirits I have been following this tv program for several weeks now. Its fashioned after an actual medium who lives in Phoenix Az ( where I might add , energy is soo powerful when I visit there I am super psychic  as soon as I step off the plane) pretty much of what she sees and does I relate too, some hollywood drama and hype I can do without. What I feel this show has done is brought media attention that seeing spirits is real, the afterlife is real and we all stay connected to each other no matter if we pass into spirit world.  This show has been renewed for yet another season.  I wish you well splinnusa@aol.com  http://www.spiritlinnusa.com

IP Logged

alysia
Ex Member

Re: forsenics and psychics
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 8:10pm

I watch a forsenics show and they often use psychics to track down missing people or missing bodies or whatever and it's most interesting when a case gets solved despite the cops scratching their head over the whole thing. I've seen 4 or 5 different psychics appear on the show so far giving their gift....

IP Logged

roger prettyman

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Bedford, U.K.
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 4:35am

Hi, Alysia,

When you say you watch a forensic`s show is it just a "show" or for real? I do wonder what the statistics would give us as to the actual number of missing people or bodies found when psychics are involved.
I`m not knocking psychics/mediums, as I see a very good one myself periodically, but is anyone able to answer why they are not successful in finding missing people or bodies in every case they are involved with?

roger     Smiley

The past is history, the future is a mystery.&&Today is a gift, that`s why it`s called the present.&&Let yourself enjoy today. It will never come again.&&&&&&Butterfly.

IP Logged

alysia
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 10:03am

Quote:
Hi, Alysia,

When you say you watch a forensic`s show is it just a "show" or for real? I do wonder what the statistics would give us as to the actual number of missing people or bodies found when psychics are involved.
I`m not knocking psychics/mediums, as I see a very good one myself periodically, but is anyone able to answer why they are not successful in finding missing people or bodies in every case they are involved with?

roger     Smiley

these shows are cold cases on TV that have sometimes lain unsolved for 20 years or more. they are real case histories and they show the real people, where they live etc and even the real photos that were taken at the time, so it's not pretty. sometimes they will show people that have been imprisoned for many years suddenly getting sprung when proof of innocense occurs..makes you wonder of the "need" to find someone guilty even if it's only circumstantial evidence and not concrete. yes our justice system is very fallible and imperfect. the psychic cases are few and far between, so for that reason are the more interesting. thanks to DNA testing which was not done until the 80's I believe, these solved cases are starting to increase. they freezed evidence for many years. yeaaa! the dectective work is superb using only one hair, or one strand of carpet, one footprint or tire track! love these shows and want to be a detective now! ha ha! but there are so many unsolved crimes, real stumpers with no evidence to be found, then they get desparate and call on a psychic with a good reputation. one psychic saw only a flower floating on the water where 3 men had fallen into gorge under water. they had searched the area before most often in these cases, what the psychic told them was search it again, they saw the flower and that's how they found the bodies. without the phychic, no bodies would be found in that case and several other cases. of course they are not going to put the cases on TV where a psychic tried and failed to find the evidence or body, that would hardly make a good show with a solved case. no statistics are offered, but if you look at the few solved cases you can see that the families appreciate the ability to bury their loved ones and bring their bodies home at last, so even one success is a plus for all mankind. I never hear mention of the psychics getting paid for their work either; the tendency is to boot them before they even get started. love, alysia

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 3:44pm

Lucy,

Quote:
What do y'all think of that new TV show, "Medium"

I feel the program gives a very realistic portrayal of the main character's experience of her abilities and how they are used in her "job."    It's refreshing to see psychic abilities portrayed accurately.  It's also refreshing to see the way the these abilities are shown within the context of ordinary family life.

My wife and I make it a point to watch this one every week.

Bruce

IP Logged

Danoon50
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:17pm

Would have to agree with everyone, though I can't stand her husband and his constant questioning and disbelief.  If he married her he knew what he was getting into and this might kill the show.  Her questioning her powers is getting tireing also and might get the show booted this year.

Just an opinion.

IP Logged

Polly
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 9:38pm

I think the reason the medium and her husband question her abilities is because the person the show is based on realized she was psychic a bit later in life.  Plus, she does misinterpret the signs she's given (like when she thought her husband was having an affair) so I think it's only natural she would have questions.  I think if she was always right and didn't question anything, the show would be pretty boring (and not very realistic).

I love this show and make sure to watch it every week.

Another good one is Psychic Detectives on CourtTV.

IP Logged

nrgstream
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:50am

We've had a similar tv-series here in Norway, where two psychics try to find more information about unsolved murder cases (or possible murder cases). They work independently of each other, and know nothing of the cases beforehand. They are usually only given an item from the person or a picture, and also have to find the place of the crime without any help, from up to a mile away. Usually they end up standing right where the body was found, before they ask for guidance from the tv-producers.

They recover both known and unknown facts about the cases, including what the people involved felt and thought at the time. The information from the two psychics is compared with each other, and with the official police investigation. I'm no statistician, but the number of hits they get must go way beyond coincidence. Also they wrap it up with a portrayal of what the murderes might look like. Unfortunately none of the cases have been officially solved so far, but the police have gotten many new clues about the cases from the public.

There has also been another interesting Danish series going on tv, that involves psychics. They walk into peoples houses where there are strange activities going on, and tune into spirits that cause the unrest. The people who live there usually don't believe in ghosts, and are flabbergasted as to what is going on. Sounds of footsteps, feelings of being followed and so on. Also, in this series the psychics don't know anything about it before they come to the house, but are able to pinpoint places in the house that has the most activity, and who in the house mostly affected by this.

The first program in this series was quite dramatic, as they tried to remove a (non-physical) drunk from the apartement. The psychic said this person didn't want to let go, and his guides were pulling on him to get him to move on. The psychic said out loud 'give me a sign if you want to stay or leave'. As he finally let go, a thick glass table cracked with a bang. Fascinating stuff...

IP Logged

Polly
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:28pm

nrgstream, that show sounds great!  I wish we had it here in the US.  Another interesting show we have here is Ghost Hunters on the SciFi channel where this team of investigators goes around to various locations to investigate reports of hauntings.  Sometimes they don't find anything, but other times they find some amazing stuff.  Their website is http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com

IP Logged

nrgstream
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:03pm

Hi Polly, yes I liked both these series. There was nothing flashy about the way the material was represented either.. all very normal. Regarding the table that cracked, they tried to find a rational explanation for it. One obvious reason was that the camera man was sitting on the table when it happened. Only he was sitting on the other end of the table from where the corner broke off. The table was strong enough to stand on, as the person who lived there had used it when he was painting the ceiling. Also, everyone looked genuinly shocked when it happened..

I think the clairvoyant people they chose seemed very emphatic and approached the cases with much respect. After the "ghostbusting", they had a follow-up visit a couple of months after to check how the people living in the houses were doing. Most of the times they found things had turned to normal, not only for the adults, but also young kids and animals were much calmer.

IP Logged

nrgstream
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:37pm

There's a third series that has been going on tv, that I remember now. It's about people who relive a past life. The tv-producers do research on what the subjects talk about during meditation, and find the place, town or city which matches closely. The subject is encouraged to leave it alone until he/she is flown to the country where he/she might have had that past life. Most of the times they are in for a few surprises, as they recognize the places they visit without having been there before. They remember houses or other things that aren't there anymore, and to find out if any of it is real, local archeologists or scholars are contacted. The subjects walk away with much to integrate after the trip, and pieces in their lives are falling into place.

IP Logged

jazzman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 1:15am

Hi Lucy, I knew the actress, Patricia Arquette when she was a baby and we lived next door to The Arquettes at a commune in The Blue Ridge Mts of Virginia. Her big sister Roseanna was my daughter's best friend. Their mother Mardi Arquette was a psychically gifted lady and a loving bright spirit. She died some years ago of breast cancer but she has been around to see me in spirit recently and I asked her if she would protect my son while he was out under anesthesia recently during an operation and she came through loud, clear and with her friendly sunny personality in assuring me that she, and some others would be glad to. My son experienced them as in a protective circle around him while he was out, tho he was just a baby too, when we lived on the commune in Virginia and didn't remember Mardi except vaguely. He knew the Arquette boys when he was in elementary school. Someone in the circle told him "I used to know your Dad when I had a physical body" Anyway, I wonder if Patricia herself has the gift. She said that after her mom died a bird would hover over her everyday when she went out for a walk. She went to a psychic about this time and the first thing the psychic said was "The bird is your mother". Patricia was a happy, joyful little kid. I wouldn't be suprized if she is psychic herself.     Jazzman

IP Logged

Ellen2
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 1:07pm

I've been watching "Lost", a series about survivors of a plane crash on a remote island which is somehow mysterious.  I'm thinking more & more  that this is a program about souls in need of retrieval.  The plane has broken in half & these folks are relatively unscathed.   The plane is mysteriously off course; no chance of rescue.   Characters flash back to pivotal events in their lives.  A  formerly paraplegic clerk is walking & living his dream of being an Indiana Jones type character.  Dead people from their past appear to them.  Some of them love the island apparently because it's helping them live out their dreams; some want desperately to get off.  Some of the episodes are tedious, but I keep watching.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 9:45am

It isinteresting to see how we have prgressed from the time when alternative stuff had to be presented on TV as either strange..as in the brilliantly done Twilight Zone or on something that viewed psychics as freaks in a side show to a time when these experiences are portrayed as incorporated into what we consider a regular and otherwise "normal" life. Gost-busting shows have been so oriented to the sensational, it sounds like the one in Norway manages to stay relatively normal.

Jazzman we realy just live in a big small town, I think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.