Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are you a blessing machine? (Read 10072 times)
TheDonald

ALK Member

Are you a blessing machine?
Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:49pm

I put this thread here rather than under "Religions and Their Beliefs" because of this issue's profound implications for the manifestation of PUL.  Interested readers might consult my new companions thread "The Right Prayer Partner" under the section "Religions and Their Beliefs."

Jesus issues this command: "Bless those who curse you (Lukr 6:27)." Are you a blessing machine? Is it part of your lifestyle to bless everyone you encounter in a potentially meaningful way? Or do you even know what I'm talking about?

Numbers 6:22-26 offers an elegant model for this blessed practice:

"The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying,
Thus you shall bless the Israelites. You shall say to them:
"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace."

Unlike standard petitionary prayers, to bless someone does not mean to seek a specific outcome. You don't direct God on how to do His business. Rather, by an act of faith, you simply confer a blessing, which means "divine favor." Part of that divine favor is a request that God keep the targets. But you leave it up to God to determine the form and extent of this divine preservation and protection. Then you ask God to allow your targets to experience the radiance of God's smile on their circumstances with the result that they feel bathed in the brightness of unmerited divine favor. What does it mean for God to "lift up His countenance upon you?" As a result of the blessing, you experience God suddenly shifting His gaze from other matters to focus lovingly on you with all your needs, thus producing a profound sense of peace (shalom), i. e. a profound sense of spiritual wholeness, of integrating all the conflicting aspects of you experience into a state of relaxed contentment.

In this thread, I will share glowing examples of people for whom blessing others is a way of life and I invite you to share your experiences of blessing others or being blessed by loving Christians. To get us started, consider this blessing placed on a struggling young pianist.

At age 16 Andor Foldes was already a skilled pianist, but he was experiencing a troubled year. In the midst of the young Hungarian's personal struggles, one of the most renowned pianists of the day came to Budapest. Emil von Sauer was famous not only for his abilities; he was also the last surviving pupil of the great Franz Liszt. Von Sauer requested that Foldes play for him. Foldes obliged with some of the most difficult works of Bach, Beethoven, and Schumann.

When he finished, von Sauer walked over to him and kissed him on the forehead. "My son," he said, "when I was your age I became a student of Liszt. He kissed me on the forehead after my first lesson, saying, 'Take good care of this kiss--it comes from Beethoven, who gave it to me after hearing me play.' I have waited for years to pass on this sacred heritage, but now I feel you deserve it."

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Re: Are you a blessing machine?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 8:01pm

That is a wonderful prayer, I'm going to start using it. Thanks!

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 6:37pm

Consider these 3 examples of a ministry of blessing.
(1) Some churches embrace a blessing ministry. Volunteers divine up their city into blocks and regularly walk the streets, silently blessing each home as they walk. As curious residents slowly learn about this ministry, the walkers ask them if they have any specific prayer burdens for them to bear. This ministry can be effective for both the walkers and those receiving the blessing.

(2) At a funeral I attended a few days ago, the pastor shared this testimony of his son Duane. Duane suffered from serious knee damage and was in constant pain. Then one Sunday at church, Mary saw him in conversation with another man and felt compelled to lovingly touch him on the shoulder. She did not have a physical healing in mind; she just wanted to bless him. From the moment of that touch, Duane's Dad told me that his son never had any knee pain again!

(3) My friend Lloyd shared this testimony of a friend of his. The friend was a militant atheist with no interest in religion. One day, he shopped at a very crowded mall. As he was negotiating his way through the crowd, he accidentally jostled a lady in his path. She touched him to brace herself. He apologized, she just smiled, and they both went their separate ways--except now his life was completely different! He was suddenly obsessed with the thought that a personal relationship with a loving God was a genuine possibility for him and, by the end of the day, he had committed his life to Christ.

Only years later did he see a photo of Kathryn Kuhlman who attracted thousands of people to her healing meetings. Kathryn loved to bless people with her loving touch and apparently had turned an awkward encounter in that mall into an opportunity to bless this man. Little did she know that her blessing was the most life changing spiritual moment of his life.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 10:47pm

Awesome testimonies.

I was trying to understand the meaning of the initial blessing prayer you shared, particularly the line "May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace."
I was wondering what countenance meant in this context. I found that it could mean face, favor, kindness, etc. Then I found the NLT version:

24 ‘May the Lord bless you
    and protect you.
25 May the Lord smile on you
    and be gracious to you.
26 May the Lord show you his favor
    and give you his peace.’

While NIT says:

24 “The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”’

So are the phrases lifting up one's countenance, turning one's face towards another, and showing another one's favor all synonymous?

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 3:52am

Dude: "I was trying to understand the meaning of the initial blessing prayer you shared, particularly the line "May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace."  I was wondering what countenance meant in this context.

God is omnipresent and the ground of all being rather than the greatest being among countless other beings (Acts 17:30).  God's ways and thoughts are "higher" than our ways and thoughts (Isaiah 55:7-8).  So it is often hard for us to wrap our mind around the thought that God's essence is also Love and thus God wants a "personal" relationship with us.  So anthropomorphic biblical expressions like "God smiles on us" and "God turns His "face" or "countenance towards us" can serve as images that allow our imagination to bypass our inability to "try" to believe and make contact.

What does this mean in practice?  It is easier to "feel" my way to God than to "think" my way to God, but often life's hardships make me feel empty, God feels profoundly absent, and my prayers seem to "bounce off the ceiling."  Of course, since God is within us, we don't need our prayers to go anywhere.  So when I bless someone by asking God to let them see His "face" and experience His "smile,"  what I want is for God to first make the recipient of my blessing aware that He has turned His loving attention to them and is taking pleasure in their sheer company. The sweetness of this preliminary perception sets the stage for more effective petitionary prayer and creates confidence that God has totally forgiven our confessed sins. 

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:24am

Good to see you back, Don. 

My question to you would be, what is your feeling about reconciling two opposing views?  one being that we are all sinners and must repent for only through God's grace are we saved, and the other being that we all have the divine essence within us, and that we only need to look within ourselves to find the essence of God (that which is good, and that which is true, according to ES)? 

Followers of New Age thought are often criticized for being haughty or arrogant to think that we each have a divine nature, and are already one with God.  So some people who interpret the bible literally might say that we are all worthless sinners, and only by grace can we find salvation.  These are difficult questions and I know we've discussed them before.  My own interpretation is that God is (as you mentioned) the foundation of our being and that by choice we either turn towards God and let God flow through us into both our thoughts and our actions (that which is good and true) or turn away from God and indulge our ego related desires.  However, there are some who believe that if they proclaim their sin, and ask for forgiveness, they are immediately saved (this is called, as you know, the sola fide argument in Christianity).  Others believe that when we are open to God's love and let it flow through us, our actions in the world reflect our connection to God so that we are in tune with the divine when we turn toward what is good and true, and act accordingly, naturally (because really it is the only way to be).  This is the opposite point of view to sola fide which goes more along the lines of ES's revelations.

An interesting corollary point that ES makes in his writings is that Angels (the deceased humans on a spiritual journey toward God) don't understand people who take credit for their good actions and want acclaim or accolades for it.  To the angels, ES states that whenever they perform a good deed, they see it as allowing God to flow through them, so that really they don't feel that they deserve any "credit" for the good deed, rather than they just did what was natural, and that God deserved any praise or credit.  This idea rings true to me, and is one of the more profound insights that ES puts forward which makes me feel his spiritual journeys were genuine.

Matthew

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:36am

Matthew, one of the few things in ACIM that rings true to me is that God, being perfect, is by definition incapable of creating anything that is imperfect. So our true nature, as spiritual beings, is also perfect.

However, when we choose to experience life in the physical body, our spiritual being remains in heaven, untouched by our actions on earth.

The problem that scenario presents is that if our spirit being is eternally perfect, to what end would living a God centered life be? How can our spirit being benefit? How can we improve on perfect?

Another key question that I'll reserve for later, is to what extent, and according to what protocol, does God (or angels) intervene in our physical lives?

R

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:31pm

Great to hear from you again, Matthew!

DocM: "My question to you would be, what is your feeling about reconciling two opposing views?  one being that we are all sinners and must repent for only through God's grace are we saved, and the other being that we all have the divine essence within us, and that we only need to look within ourselves to find the essence of God (that which is good, and that which is true, according to ES)?"

In my view, the issues involved are complex and therefore so is any adequate answer.  In my view, a good starting point is a recognition of 3 biblical principles:

(1) We are created in "the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:27-28)."  The Hebrew words for "image" and "likeness" refer to statues that ancient kings set up in conquered lands to represent their presence and authority there during the king's absence.  This means that we represent God's presence and authority on earth and in that sense are mini-gods or creators in the making.  So  Paul can ask, "Don't you know that the saints will have jurisdiction over (judge) the cosmos (1 Corinthians 6:2)?"  It is in that sense that our sacred trust to be stewards of creation should be understood (Genesis 1:28-30). 

(2) What this also means is that we are destined to "participate in the divine nature (2 Peter 1.4).'"  The early church Father Origen (225 AD) says that believers will progress from one spiritual state to another in a process that brings to an ever more complete union with God.   Origen is interpreting John 14:2, which is mistranslated in the King James: "In my Father's house are many mansions."  The Greek word "mone" used here does not mean "mansions,"  but "resting places" or "inns," temporary lodgings en route to a higher destination.

(3) God is Love and Love requires a truly free "other," who has a strong inclination or incentive to choose a path of separation from God.  One Hebrew word for "sin" means "that which separates from God."  The value of our choice of the good is a function of our contrary inclinations and our challenge to overcome such inclinations for a higher good.

Practically speaking, it is better to reject the New Age notion of a "divine spark" because this spark is merely an unactualized unmerited potential to choose the path that leads to "participation in the divine nature."  Because a successful journey towards union is unmerited, its path is dependent on repentance, a humility that acknowledges the  essential role of dependence on divine help, guidance, and transformation, and, most importantly, grace.  Our only proper response to grace is a life that constantly expresses gratitude for God's unmerited favor and such chronic gratitude is a necessary condition for the development of true PUL.  The tendency to ignore this fact makes the charge of New Age arrogance and presumption well deserved because it erects a barrier to true progress! 

Don

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:16pm by TheDonald »  

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 8:18pm

TheDonald wrote on Apr 29th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
  Because a successful journey towards union is unmerited, its path is dependent on repentance, a humility that acknowledges the  essential role of dependence on divine help, guidance, and transformation, and, most importantly, grace.  Our only proper response to grace is a life that constantly expresses gratitude for God's unmerited favor and such chronic gratitude is a necessary condition for the development of true PUL.  The tendency to ignore this fact makes the charge of New Age arrogance and presumption well deserved because it erects a barrier to true progress! 

When I gave myself to Christ, I admitted the fact that I was nothing without Him, accepted my sinful nature, and repented. This caused a lightening of my spirit unlike anything I had experienced before, like finally releasing a heavy burden that I had been carrying around my entire life. The truth of my declaration was so apparent that I felt chills throughout my body and was brought to tears. I then experienced a deep gratitude to God, almost as if this was a natural result of the process rather than something forced or willingly evoked. I thought I'd share this because I believe it parallels what you've said here, and again, the truth in your words moves me deeply and I am extremely grateful for this.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Don said:

" Because a successful journey towards union is unmerited, its path is dependent on repentance, a humility that acknowledges the  essential role of dependence on divine help, guidance, and transformation, and, most importantly, grace. "

It seems to me that there is a difference between an unactualized divine spark within us, and the notion that the divine spark is initially unmerited in all people.    If God is the foundation of our being, then if we choose to allow God's love to flow through us and act in accordance with right thought and action, then we are deserving of our divine birthright.  I can see the point that if we are in the physical world, where man artificially separates himself from God and the divine unity, that we are starting with a situation where we are born into a fallacy to some extent of a separation that should not exist.

However, there are some souls we all encounter, who choose to allow God's love to flow through them, and who appear to be on their way to a spiritual union with the divine because they truly are good people.

I suppose that I agree with the idea of confessing one's sin, the notions of grace and forgiveness, but I am not comfortable with the idea that our journey toward divine unity is unmerited.

M

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:08pm

Dude, thanks for posting that testimony. How long has it been? Has it changed your life even down to everyday things that used to get you upset or angry or stressed? Life is so full of challenges, big and small. Just driving down to the store can try our patience sometimes.

I don't think giving our life to Christ means that our human character will necessarily change. We are weak. We get angry, petty, and are quick to point out the faults of others. In my case I need to understand that episodes of weakness don't mean I'm not worthy of Christ.

It seems like for me it's one step forward and two steps back. Can Christ suppress or even eliminate those things that no doubt must make Him disappointed? Or does free will make such an intervention impossible?  So many questions.

R

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 7:11pm

rondele wrote on Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:08pm:
Dude, thanks for posting that testimony. How long has it been? Has it changed your life even down to everyday things that used to get you upset or angry or stressed? Life is so full of challenges, big and small. Just driving down to the store can try our patience sometimes.

I don't think giving our life to Christ means that our human character will necessarily change. We are weak. We get angry, petty, and are quick to point out the faults of others. In my case I need to understand that episodes of weakness don't mean I'm not worthy of Christ.

It seems like for me it's one step forward and two steps back. Can Christ suppress or even eliminate those things that no doubt must make Him disappointed? Or does free will make such an intervention impossible?  So many questions.

R

I accepted Christ back in January.

It's funny because I was just thinking about this today. It has definitely changed me.

I now have urges to go out of my way to do nice things for people that I never even considered before, and I act on them. I've noticed a dramatic reduction in my negative thoughts and feelings during my various daily activities, and thus a reduction of the stress that would result from them. I also treat people with more compassion now, and my tendency to consider people as obstacles and inconveniences is diminishing by the day.

As I mentioned in another post, I now feel a love in my heart that was previously absent. I actually tear up and/or cry from joy almost daily during my study, contemplation and prayer. I've also noticed a great improvement of a minor stress-related health issue which seems to be almost nonexistent now.

All of these things have been increasing and improving gradually since January as I continue my prayer, study and relationship with Christ.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 8:26pm

When we learn to function as a blessing machine, we are also projecting pure love.  But I don't consider this claim helpful because, practically speaking, people typically make one of 2 mistakes about the highest love:

(1) On this site, some have claimed to have immersed themselves in PUL in a way that sounds like some kind of cosmic soup or atmosphere that is more reminiscent of ecstasy or bliss than agape love.  True agape love is instead a way of being or in some sense a permanent mood.

(2) In my experience, sermons on love usually have little impact because the audience has locked "a loving person" into their self-image in a way that prevents them from taking a hard look at how they actually live from hour to hour and from digesting fresh insights into love's true nature.  In other words, they don't think they have overlooked vital aspects about what agape love really is. 

To illustrate this consider these 3 neglected texts in Paul's epistles:
(a) "Let love be genuine...Outdo one another in showing respect (or honor--Romans 12:9-10)."

Our self-image is protected by unconscious comparisons with how we imagine our character to stack up against that of others.  Paul counters this by advising us to restrict this competition to how well our way of being displays concrete acts of respect for others.  We can all lie to ourselves about the "warm fuzzies" we confuse and mislabel as love, but chronic acts of respect are more concrete.  There is no agape love without the recipient of that love feeling profound respect from us.

(b) "Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things (1 Corinthians 13:7)."
Among other things, this poetic verse urges us to cultivate "holy perception."  In other words, we must not be naïve about other people's weaknesses and faults, but we discipline ourselves to perceive these people in terms of their as yet undeveloped potential to become God's masterpiece of spirituality.

(c) "In humility esteem others as better than yourselves (Philippians 2:3)."

This "holy perception" of others mutes our judgmental spirit, but through our life of chronic confession of our sins, we remain acutely aware of our own limitations. But how can we tell if this contrast in perceptions is real?  The chief symptom that it is real is our tendency to esteem others as "better than ourselves."  Thus, we love our neighbor as ourselves, but emotionally esteem through the lens of ways they may well be superior to us. 

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 9:02pm

Where does sinful nature come from? If somebody can explain this in a way that makes sense and covers all of the bases, I'll accept the notion of repenting.

I consider the matter this way. Everything that exists, even that which is referred to as "sin" comes from God's being, for there is nothing that exists other than God's being.

The crucial factor is that God's being has free will. It isn't limited by somebody's notion of what is right or wrong. When I say this I don't mean to say that some ways of being aren't more preferable than others (e.g.; treating others with respect is more preferable than treating others with disrespect). Rather, in order for God to have freedom of expression and to know what his being is all about, in some way he needs to consider all of the possibilities. I believe that we help with this process as we find out what is possible.

Is a soul who incarnates into this world more likely to become something such as gang banger if it incarnates into a place where a lot of gang banging activity takes place, or if it incarnates into a place where no such activity takes place? I believe the answer is obvious.

I don't mean to suggest that we don't have free will, but in order to use it in a wise way that leads to preferable results, we need to have the required wisdom. Sometimes it takes time to develop wisdom. Consider ourselves. We each have free will, yet we have differing viewpoints and they represent what is actually true to varying degrees. Why do we have differing viewpoints when we have free will? Because we have yet to develop the wisdom to use our free will in a way that leads to what might be considered perfect results.

I believe a key to finding the required wisdom is understanding that we can be wrong about things. The more we are able to understand this the more we can consider the accuracy of our viewpoints and determine if there is a more accurate way of viewing things. As we do this we are likely to find how faulty logic can be at times and choose to find a way to listen to the wisdom that is contained within our hearts.

Back to the point I was initially getting at. When a soul incarnates into a lifetime that includes negative influences it isn't a matter of that soul becoming a horrible sinner that others should condemn. Rather, it is a matter of a soul being brave enough to take on an incarnation that is quite challenging and might lead to negative consequences.

It is important to remember that when souls incarnate into this world and other places, little pieces of God's being do so, not something that is completely foreign to God. I believe that God understands about the difficulty of incarnating into challenging life situations thoroughly enough so that he doesn't view people who go astray as detestable beings that need to repent. It is more of a matter of a person becoming wiser and finding out what leads to true fulfillment.

When it comes to having gratitude, one of the things I consider is how fortunate I am to live the life I have. I figure that there are many pieces of God within this world that have it much rougher than I, and that haven't been fortunate to experience things such as divine love and peace.

If it isn't a matter of souls getting involved with circumstances that cause them to be influenced in a negative way, then where does the ability to sin come from? If God created souls so they are perfect, then what is referred to as sin wouldn't take place. If God provided a soul with more negative traits than positive traits, then you can hardly blame that soul for manifesting in a negative way. If God provided a soul with more positive traits than negative traits, and a soul had the ability to compare these traits in an accurate and thorough way, then there is no way a soul would choose the negative traits. Therefore, I believe another explanation is required.

The explanation was partly provided above. In order for us and the creative process of this universe to have free will and be more than programmed beings, we need to go through a learning process that enables us to develop the ability to use our free will in a way that represents both wisdom and freedom.

One night I was meditating and I felt concerned about the negativity that takes place in this world. I experienced myself floating in what seemed like the center of this universe and heard the words, "it's a school."

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 9:46pm

Don:

When I read the below I didn't get the impression that you actually knew what you were talking about. I got the impression that you are so into getting people to believe in your Biblical ways, that you felt the need to discredit the experiences that other people have.

--Don said.
"(1) On this site, some have claimed to have immersed themselves in PUL in a way that sounds like some kind of cosmic soup or atmosphere that is more reminiscent of ecstasy or bliss than agape love.  True agape love is instead a way of being or in some sense a permanent mood."

A number of years ago while meditating one night, I prayed to God and Christ and asked if ACIM comes from Jesus. I experienced myself standing in front of a small closet (non-physically). There were three books located on a shelf. One was the Bible, one was the Koran, and I couldn't figure out what the third book was. It floated off of the shelf so I could see the cover, and it said "A Course in Miracles." Four pages came out of the book. I looked at these pages and it looked like red pen was used to make a bunch of corrections. Numerous words were crossed out, and words that represented corrections were written. I believe I was being told that the book has a lot of errors. I believe that I was also being told that the Bible, Koran and ACIM can all lead to a dogmatic approach if one isn't careful.

On another occasion I meditated and asked the same question (I can be stubborn at times) and from the darkness a book appeared. It seemed to be a copy of ACIM, however the words were smudged so they didn't say "A Course in Miracles." I believe I was being told that the book isn't a course in miracles.

Next, a copy of the Holy Bible appeared. In this case I could read the words "Holy Bible." The sense I got is that a person can get a better idea of what Jesus had to say by reading the Bible, than he (or she) can by reading ACIM.

Nevertheless, I don't believe that Jesus appeared on this Earth with the intent of creating a form of dogmatism that would lead many people astray for many years. Rather he hoped that people would use their God given intelligence, which can be connected to at heart level, to use words within the Bible as an aid, and not as a device that limits what we allow ourselves to consider and understand.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.