Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Highly Touted New Age Book (Read 9498 times)
Berserk2

Highly Touted New Age Book
Apr 29th, 2013 at 6:45pm

Dr. Eric Pearl, "The Reconnection: Heal Others, Heal Yourself."

I haven't read this book yet myself, but members of my congregation (United Methodist) are broad-minded and reach New Age books as well as more standard Christian fare.  I get the impression from the  ace reviewers at my church that this book is an even more rewarding read that Eben
Alexander's "Proof of Heaven." 

The book recounts how Dr. Pearl's journey of discovery and enhancement of  healing energies.  But this is also a how-to book, teaching  principles on how to "raise your vibration" with astonishing results. 
I suggest that you check out the table of contents on Amazon.com and read the reviews printed there.

Don

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Re: Highly Touted New Age Book
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:43am

Don-

If you haven't as of yet, check out the 1 star reviews.  I personally would not be inclined to buy this one!  Sounds way too similar to Neale Donald Walsch, a shameless self promoter who has made big bucks from doing the same type of things.

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:48pm

Don, I'm inclined to agree with R after reading inside the book and checking out a few of the reviews.  It sounds like about a third of the book he speaks about his own experiences with the paranormal including TV with John Edwards.  What I read was in a word... boring... not having much to do about laying hands.

Unfortunately what he wrote in regards to healing isn't anything new... just reworded toward his own beliefs.

On the upside... it is good your members are reading this type of material to at least introduce them into greater possibilities and expand their awareness.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2013 at 3:35am

When I ooked atthe guy's website and he taked about people feeling hands even when he wasn't there, I thought, hey that sounds just like my reiki experiences. So it seems there is nothing unique about ths guy. However, we don't know what his training techniques are. Has he possibly stumbled on to something in training that others have overlooked?

What do your congregation members say, Don? Can they reproduce his results? I would like to know what his techniques are.

So this is great if it expands people's awareness of what is possible. We aren't all going to be attracted to the same authors or techniques. I hope folks will realize this is a doorway to a bigger subject and check out other healing modalities.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2013 at 8:51am

Yes it is true that healers can feel guides/helpers place their hands in the healer's hands.  I've also had this experience many, many times over the years.  I could also see these other beings/helpers surrounding the person during healing sessions.  Sometimes there would be only my guide plus one or two others, however sometimes there would be as many as 6 or 7 beings present.

The modality or technique doesn't matter so much as the healer entering into a state of the highest unconditional love possible for the person they're trying to help.  Having the ability to see auras I can see that healing energy emanates from the palms of everyone when they use their intent to be used as a tool for the benefit of another.  This is quite natural for everyone.  If you bump your knee or elbow, the first thing you do is put your hand over it because it makes it feel better.  What you're doing is focusing your intent to help your body heal.  One cannot come from a place of an ego need, but must allow PUL for the person they want to help to fill their being.

It's been so many years since I've read any books on healing, but I did think of one that I would recommend for people who would like to understand laying hands better and that's Dolores Krieger's "Therapeutic Touch".

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:49am

Hi Kathy,

Funny what you say about hands.  Since I was a boy, if I injured myself, I would wrap my hand tightly around the area for a prolonged time (minutes). Almost always, the pain would be gone instantly, and the outcome would be fine.  I used to think it was preventing blood from entering the injured area to cause swelling, and had other effects I could explain, however, the result was much more than a simple tourniquet. 

This weekend, cleaning out my mother's house a large piece of metal with a sharp edge fell directly on my right foot.  My brother heard it, and we both swore it would be broken.  I quickly applied pressure, for about 5-10 minutes, was surprised to see how little damage there was.  I resumed walking and working, a bit puzzled.

Of course this could be explained by blood flow, perhaps some other local mechanical factors of using my hands.  However, the pain resolved almost instantly using these measures.  Your comments give me food for thought. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2013 at 11:30am

Don-

Did more research re Pearl's workshops and the expenses involved....and the apparent "shill" he uses in the audience to convince others how amazing his technique is.  Reminds me of how other healers would recruit folks to show up on stage in a wheelchair, not being able to walk in years, and after prayers and incantations, the person would jump up, walk around the stage, and the audience would erupt in gasps and applause.

Of course the person was able to walk all along.

The fact that more than 1 person mentioned that a shill was in Pearl's audience (in fact from the descriptions it sounded like the same guy.  You'd think Pearl would at least change the actors!).

It seems his most effective "touch" is in the wallet.  That never fails.

So I suppose the best advice is an old one- caveat emptor.

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2013 at 12:13am

In the last few days, I have applied "healing hands" with mixed results.  Dwayne is in the last stages of pulminary fibrosis and needs high oxygen doses to breathe.  When I visit him to pray and lay on hands, he rallies, breathes easily,  and is easily engaged in conversations about his hunting and fishing triumphs.  Family members call me their "prayer angel"  and I dearly wish I could live up that affectionate label.  But I'm only slightly heartened by temporary reprieves.  Complete healings happen too, but in my experience, they are quite rare.  The reasons why are a frustrating mystery.  I'm fully aware that sometimes my faith is stronger and more effective than other times.  Why this is so I can't say--beyond the fact that I have much to learn about healing states and someitmes (for unknown reasons) I'm just not in the  right mood.  When Dwayne was unconscious, he said he felt intense heat and great comfort from my "healing hands."  The flow of heat energy from my hands buoys up my confidence, but leaves me discouraged when I learn that improvement is only temporary. Also, when hope soars in your presence, the crash of dashed hopes is painful, even if there is temporary improvement.  Ultimately, these prayer vigils are about love and the refusal of love to give up easily.  Sigh, I'll see how Dwayne is doing in ICU tomorrow.  His family is gathering from around the country.

Eric Pearl has been on Coast-to-Coast a few times.  I just read some of the single-star reviews of his book and agree that witnesses have detected the telltale signs of a fraud--shills and pretalk promoters.  In my experience, people who are truly miraculously healed often want to be checked out to maximize their inspiring impact.  I recently watched a video of a South African Christian preacher, Angus Buchan, who was addressing a huge Muslim crowd (of several thousand) that largely ignored him--until he laid hands on and healed a nearby Muslim confined to a wheelchair, who was known to many in the crowd.  His wheelchair was a familiar presence in the town square.  When he jumped up, ran around, and demonstrated his healing, the crowd went, well, berserk and hundred of Muslims were converted.  The real thing, though rare, has an amazing impact when witnesses know the before and after of the person in need of a healing touch. 

Sometimes, I have the faith to bring an Alzheimer's patient into prolonged lucidity and heart-warming rationality.  But then, I hesitate, wondering what to say next, and suddenly the mind is gone.  What did I do wrong (or right), I wonder?  I'm confident that there is an art to the use of faith for making dementia lucid.  I'm ecstatic when I succeed, but depressed when I fail or when I seem to be on a role and then lose focus and with that the mind that has come out of hiding.  I'm confident that presently hidden laws of healing will be identified, perhaps not in my lifetime, that make faith healing far more consistently effective.

Don

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2013 at 5:35am

It is natural to want the spectacular results from energy healing. However, to get to that level, it might take a lot of practice.

Don I hope you can encourage your congregants to practice on smaller ailments first....headaches and sore muscles...and don't forget the mommy kisses on scraped knees (or sore wrists from the video game playing). I hope when they are excited about the book, that what they are really excited about is the concept and not the author.

You seem to have some talent for this sort of thing.

Quote:
...Complete healings happen too, but in my experience, they are quite rare.  The reasons why are a frustrating mystery...

Well, maybe, but if what the individual believes is a factor in healing, them maybe the big healings don't occur because on some deep level the status quo is still the same. Hard to say.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2013 at 9:00am

Ernest Holmes developed a "system" he often referred to as scientific healing.  Part of it included the healer seeing the patient as a perfect, healed person, without flaw.  The healer was supposed to hold this image in his/her mind, as they put their hands on.  The idea is that  healing is available, and if the practitioner can superimpose their image of the ill person with an image of them as being healed, give thanks for the healing (as is done in Christian healings), cultivate the feeling of healing, have an expectation, without a doubt of healing, a conviction that it will occur, then the outcome would be assured. 

I think there is a lot to this.  It is almost like Bruce's imagination method, but coupled with an unshakeable faith and deep conviction.  It couples intent to conviction and thus shares similarity with other unconscious and mind techniques.  I try to use something like this in my office when I treat patients.  I have also incorported a petition for the patient to God for help in my mind, with the thought that there would be a better outcome. 

M

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2013 at 1:11pm

I was stuck in the house because of the weather so I watched one of Pearl's YouTube seminars.  He had a few, very few, good things to say regarding healing, but my opinion is that it was mainly all showmanship.

As Matthew mentions visualizations do help us focus our intent/consciousness.  That's also what seeing auras, colors, etc. do as well.  They are all tools to help focus consciousness and receive information. My doctor before he examines his patients will take hold of their hands and look directly into their eyes for several minutes even for an uncomfortable amount of time.  lol... if someone talks to him while he's doing this he will audaciously shush them up. This is his way of focusing his intent and of receiving information about his patients.

There are probably many reasons why some healings are miraculous, others take place over a period of time or are not healed at all or the ailment returns after a short or long period of time.  One of my most wonderful and amazing friends was of a Blackfoot Indian decent.  He could eradicate cancer from someone with the tip of his finger in mere seconds, yet he, in most cases was unable to help a child with autism unless it was to calm them during an episode.  He said this was because some things are just meant to be.  A simple answer, but considering we are here to learn, perhaps we sometimes learn best through having the experience of an illness.

Don, I think you've mentioned your clairaudient, so it may be helpful for you to listen.  In every healing I have ever either watched or participated in there have been other beings present either to observe or be of service to the healer and or patient.  Information may come to you in bits and pieces that are not necessarily sequential, but by the time the healing is over you will likely be able to understand the greater picture of what is going on with the patient. btw... rarely do I share very much of the info I receive with the patient, unless I'm instructed to do so.  Sometimes too much information is worse than not enough.  Again, you have to keep your ego out of it, but things like "not being in the mood" can indicate a healing should not be attempted at that particular time, not necessarily because of your mood, but more likely because the patient would not be receptive or there may be some other reason unknown to us.

Also, just reading your post again tells me ego may be getting in your way.  Believe me, I know how hard it is to keep our needy egos out of it, but we must... absolutely must... be in a state of complete acceptance without any attachment whatsoever to the outcome, otherwise we cannot be a clear channel.  Simply being in a state of clarity and loving awareness, listening for information and following instructions without analyzing any of it in any way what so ever is key. 

Once we master that, it's all downhill, but the only way to master it is to get rid of our own fear and ego on a daily basis and then PUL cannot help but well up from within our core.  This PUL that I'm speaking of appears to be more like an essence that wells up from deep within.  Once experienced, one realizes there is nothing like it, but it is real, and it is tangible.  It can also arise at the oddest times, and in any circumstance in a way that is fully automatic.

Kathy

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2013 at 3:13pm

I went to the ICU to visit Dwayne this morning.  The hospital chaplain was there, speaking about the first miracle towards my canonization!   LOL!  Kinda liked merit badges towards becoming an eagle scout!Dwayne was sitting up, perky and talkative, with no oxygen equipment attached to his head.  He as using dramatically less oxygen now, yet he was still breathing comfortably.  They are talking about sending him home today or tomorrow with hospice care. 

No doubt an answer to prayer, but not a miracle in my sense of the term!  Yes, the dramatic change occurred after prayer and defied the X-rays.  But as far as I know, he still has advanced pulminary fibrosis. When I arrived there yesterday, they were talking about removing the breathing apparatus to let him die with sedation.  So I'll take this result. 

The ego factor is an interesting variable.  When one is praised for the power of one's prayers, one feels good about oneself--at least until one realizes that the birth of pride can potentially sabotage the healing process.  And in fact, I was merely the "point man" for many Christians who were praying for Dwayne all over the country.  Besides, only God unleashes the power that makes the decisive difference.  We are the channels, whose egos can block healing.

Dwayne and his family hail from West Virginia.  So I whipped them into a frenzy over the dramatic fall of WVU quarterback Geno Smith in the NFL draft.  "Can't a West Virginian get any respect from Yankees?" I shouted.  This kind of talk energized them and made them forget Dwayne's illness, as we talked about how shocked Geno's critics will be when he develops into a star for the NY Jets.  I also terrorized Dwayne's grandkids about the wolvernine doing his impression of a pizza on a highway a mile from town.  I warned them not to go outside after dark because that wolverine's family was nearby.  They (and Dwayne) were defiant about their ability to handle the "danger" of marrauding newly arrived wolverines in the area.  I find that if people can relax, and yet, talk passionately about issues that interest them, this seems to aid in the healing process.  Duh!

Don 

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2013 at 12:30pm

Don,

I think that there are few who could create a healing that would flagrantly defy the laws of chemistry and physics, though it may happen.  Perhaps JC did it.  Perhaps here and there we see it happen.  So if this gentleman's lungs are pure scar tissue - usually, there is no way that scar tissue of that magnitude vanishes.  Just like a person horribly burned in a fire - if we prayed ceaselessly for them, the healed skin wounds might still be seen.  There are certain healings that appear to be different than others - I don't know why.  I would say that if probabilities are involved in the healing, then prayer may alter probabilities, without defying physical law per se. 

I also think that proper prayer with love but detached from the outcome is a key factor.  One must apply intent, but not be so attached to the outcome that the attachment sabotages the intent.  This is a tough concept, but one which I think is important. 

Holding the image of the person in your mind, healed, smiling, giving thanks for the healing before it occurs, feeling a certainty in the process, but not being so attached to the outcome that your love and conviction is challanged by it. 

M

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2013 at 12:12am

"Perhaps JC did it"

Perhaps?   More like, boy did he ever, and much more than the book ever says.

There is no "defying physical law" if you understand that physical law is not so much "law" or "physical" (as in, verse something else) as we may tend to think and believe. 

For those who are pure and completely open channels for PUL anything is possible, provided there is consent and constructive purpose involved. 

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2013 at 3:17pm

I wonder if we have to be a perfect channel (I know Justin said "pure and completely open" not "perfect"). I figure some people have healed without being perfect channels.  Just as it is okay to help others without being perfect, perhaps it is okay to heal without being perfect. There is helpful spirit work that I do and I wouldn't call myself a perfect channel.

As Justin stated, consent and contructive purpose are factors. I received spirit messages stating I can heal, but there are a couple of people I tried to heal without success. Perhaps to some extent it was a matter of their being open to being healed. Can you heal a person who has little faith in the healing process? There might be occasions when a person's Soul wants to experience a physical problem. There "are" occasions when a psychological issue a person doesn't want to deal with leads to a physical problem, and what can you do then?

Quote:
"Perhaps JC did it"

Perhaps?   More like, boy did he ever, and much more than the book ever says.

There is no "defying physical law" if you understand that physical law is not so much "law" or "physical" (as in, verse something else) as we may tend to think and believe. 

For those who are pure and completely open channels for PUL anything is possible, provided there is consent and constructive purpose involved. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.