Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
10 Unquestioned Core Assumptions (Read 42028 times)
Griffin

Re: 10 Unquestioned Core Assumptions
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 1:56pm

Hi Lucy,                                                                                                                                                                         I don't know if this relates to what you say... I had an experience that occurred over a period of years, one that was scary & sublime. The few times I tried to talk about it, most folks couldn't understand why I wasn't experiencing bliss & happiness when these out-of-time moments happened. Well, it was happenning to me,  not them; perhaps they would respond differently but until they underwent the same thing they couldn't really understand & I couldn't fault them for that. Years after these experiences passed, I read something that gave me some perspective... it was something like "experiences of awakening aren't necessarily joyous; they can be disorienting & not pleasurable. Bliss or sadness or whatever state are side-effects of awakening experiences and are temporary and unimportant in themselves. They are states that pass and not the thing-itself. The books that tell you that enlightenment is a permanent state of bliss are trying to sell you something that can't be bought. Don't fall in love with a passing state and wish to make it permament...." I'm paraphrasing badly. What was useful to me was to be told that there was nothing wrong with me for feeling disoriented & uncomfortable, that it was normal to feel that way during such times.                                                                                                                                          Tim

IP Logged

Griffin

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 2:28pm

It may be possible that whatever it is that the concept "PUL" points to is a quality of the unchanging something-or-other that underlies all our experience of life. Its expression doesn't necessarily have to be dramatic. It could be something as simple as a soft smile & the felt acknowledgement that you & I don't truly exist apart from each other. PUL might be something as simple as relaxed attention with no agenda.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:54pm

Quote:
Some NDErs claim that the BL is not a spirit at all, but rather a radiance from a spiritual plane. If that is true, it would explain why the BL itself normally offers no identification. But it might also mean that the luminosity differs for various plane levels and that spirits are drawn to each level based on like attracts like, i. e. based on their spiritual development. Or alternately it might mean that the plane is generally the same (the Gateway to the afterlife), but that the recognition of degrees of brightness is a function of the NDEr's level of spiritual perception or development.

But what about the minority of cases in which the BL actually identifies itself as Christ, even to atheists and Muslims? Perhaps Christ only shows up to selective individuals for unknown reasons as a different Being than the BL, which may not be conscious entity in itself. NDErs might confuse rotes that emanate from an unseen spirit (e. g. Christ) with the BL itself which is merely the light of that particular plane.

Don,

The BL has never identified itself to me, and frankly I've never thought to ask.  I also have not been able to go to the BL using my intent. My encounters with it are not from a NDE. It has always appeared to me when I least expect it and it seems the same every time.  Perhaps it is like an interface with the consciousness system.  I've never really thought about whether or not it's a radiance from a spiritual plane.  If it is, it can and does communicate with me.

To give you a visual of what I see... there is an immense blackness that is hard to describe, but the blackness is a light unto itself and seems alive with potential. The BL is a bright radiating, glowing light from which I feel the most incredibly beautiful love radiating forth from it. I perceive myself as a point of light or consciousness and I am not at all aware that I even have a body until I feel myself go back into it. Even though I know it is a wonderful gift to be here in ELS, each time I've had this experience, I feel saddened by having to be in my body. I'd very much prefer to be with the BL.

I haven't ever seen Jesus' face, however, one time I felt him lay his hand on the side of my face and after that I felt his presence and guidance almost constantly for quite a number of years.  I can't explain how I knew it was him, but I felt certain it was then and now as I think back on the experience. It was like he was continually present and I felt abandoned when I was on my own to continue my growth process.  Perhaps if there is a need Christ appears to a person.  I would say that the BL and Christ are not the same, however, there's no reason that Christ could not appear as a BL if he so chose.

I use to think there were various levels, however, I've come to recognize that there is no hierarchy.  Each plane or dimension (virtual reality) is governed by its own consciousness or what could also be thought of as rules/laws that exist within it, actually create it along with the beings that occupy it. One plane of existence is not spiritually higher or lower than another, only different depending on the purpose it serves.
Quote:
It seems that astral travelers often don't get answers unless they pose the right questions, so that revelation is limited and unique to the traveler's personal journey. In this respect, I worry about ES's point that spirit impersonation and deception is to be expected. But how this variable should be factored in is yet to be explained. Presumably, counterfeit PUL (ecstasy) is also a factor; but if so, how can it be identified?

A lot of times getting answers is dependent on the person's ability to access information and then interpret the information correctly without bias. Not always easy to do since all we really know is our ELS experiences. Asking direct, precise questions is key as you've mentioned. Why do you worry about ES's point that spirit impersonation/deception is to be expected? I would both agree and disagree with him depending on the context. Why do you say ecstasy is counterfeit PUL?

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Griffin wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
It may be possible that whatever it is that the concept "PUL" points to is a quality of the unchanging something-or-other that underlies all our experience of life. Its expression doesn't necessarily have to be dramatic. It could be something as simple as a soft smile & the felt acknowledgement that you & I don't truly exist apart from each other. PUL might be something as simple as relaxed attention with no agenda.

Tim,

I really like these descriptions.  I've also had disoriented and uncomfortable non-physical experiences.  I like what you read in your previous post.  For the most part I felt like the times I had these types of experiences had to do with my own fear and ego and these were ways of pointing them out as well as giving me solutions at times. Other times it seemed as though these were tests.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 7:21pm

[Kathy:] Why do you say that ecstasy is counterfeit PUL?

Walter Pahnke scientifically studied the question of whether the classical symptoms of mystical experience could be replicated by psychoactive drugs like psilocybin.  So an experimental group of Harvard Divinity School students were given this drug in the chapel on Good Friday evening and a control group of students were given a placebo. Initially no one knew who received what. Those given the psilocybin generally experienced all the classical symptons of authentic mystical experience.  But their ecstasy, though very pleasant, did not produce the long-term transforming effect of a disciplined mystic's spiritual experiences. 

I myself have experienced intense satisfying ecstasy through speaking in tongues, but was later able to doubt the paranormal authenticity of such experiences.  But these episodes lacked the long-term impact of another experience (about which I have posted) which was light-years more paranormally powerful and transformative, whose genuineness was later impossible for me to doubt. 

So PUL can generate great ecstasy, but not all ecstasy is PUL.   But is PUL a proper phrase for the best calibre BL experiences?  The Christian word for PUL  (Greek: "agape") designates a way of  being and thus the terms 'pure" and "unconditional" can be measured in cmparision with impurities for motivation and conduct and strings attached to our love (implicit conditions).  But in NDEs PUL is an experience, not necessarily a way of being.  So what imprurites and strings attached are the foil for contrasting the experience of NDE PUL?  If "pure" and "unconditional" are appropriate terms for NDE love, the presumably other NDErs may experience lower levels of these qualities, depending on the spirit plane reached. 

So when NDErs encounter a BL and don't comment on an overwhelming loving experience, I'm just suggesting that this difference MAY be spiritually significant.  Is the NDEr's perception or spiritual development less advanced?  Or is she just experiencing a lower spiritual plane?  Or perhaps a quiet peace can be just as authentic manifestion of BL PUL?  If we embrace the afterlife principle that like attracts like and the Monroe-Moen identification is hellish planes, does the course of one's NDE already hint at one's ultimate postmortem destination? 

The classical elements of the NDE (separation from the body, tunnel, BL, encounter with loved ones, arrival at a barrier or limit, past life review are archetypes, and as such, may or may not be experienced on the same spiritual plane.  When some NDErs experienced these archtypes in a less intense form or skip over them altogether, it is worth contemplating what this might mean.   People tend to make assumptions about such matters when they read about or hear NDE reports.  I'm just trying to stimulate reflection on these seldom asked questions.

Don
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 2:10am by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:06am

By analyzing the experiences in terms of reproducible shared archetypes or experiences, there is an implication that there should therefore be a rigid structure or architecture to the afterlife experience. 

Yet if mind or conscious thought is our true nature (spirit), then making sense out of NDEs, or trying to pigeon-hole and define these archetypical experiences may be a futile cause.  I have read accounts of NDEs of entire societies apart from the Western world.  Most interpret their experiences through their "filters" of belief.  Don, I know you like to cite the example of JC coming through to non-christians at times, yet there are entire cultures documented in the far East where the vast majority of people do not report this.  There are pantheons of deities, felt to be seen in the experience of millions of people when they meet light beings.  The "interpretor" inside is at work here, the people are given what is appropriate for their experience, and while most who read these accounts agree that there is no one single light being, I am sure that the light beings care less about earthly nomenclature, and more for the souls they encounter.

I believe these NDErs bring back what they can.  But unfortunately (or not), what they bring back is not an afterlife written in stone.  Don, even the NT has JC talk about many rooms in his father's house. 

Unfortunately, without a conduit to the afterlife or Bruce's two way radio, we can't get absolute answers to these issues here on earth. 

The lack of communication of the deceased with those of us here is certainly not due to a lack of love from them.  But there is a gulf between pure disembodied consciousness and the earth plane.  Also, when freed from a body and the earthly physical laws, we come to associate memories and experiences with whatever our new state of being is.  In that regard, I can't for the life of me think why any disincarnate spirit would rattle of their social security number, or many other verifications no longer relevant to their consciousness.  They no longer have physical bodies, brains, etc.  There are some spiritual equivalents, but we all most adjust to our new existence.

My own feeling is that the visits to the afterlife in which famous writers are still writing, musicians playing their beloved instruments on stage, etc. either occur on a low-level belief system plane (when the soul still associates with human/earthly tasks and realities) or is an analogy to what they used to do - the artist painting on a canvas of consciousness with colors never seen before, etc. 

Your inquiry into a logical analysis of the afterlife planes is a noble one, but may be unaccomplishable.  What is love?  Love "is."  That isn't very satisfying, but it is true.  To separate out temporary ecstasy (your speaking in tongues) from "true" love is an artificial distinction.  Why do you doubt your experience?

In trying to sort out a "real" afterlife plane, or a "real" love from a false one, I think you fall into the trap of the comfort of categorization or pigeon-holing a mental experience into defined, limited "knowns."   What if the experience defies categorization, and is only known via direct feeling or experience?

If love is a foundation of our actions, perhaps it can be expressed in limitless ways, as Griffin/Tim says (thanks for that post, Tim).  We seem to intuitively know when something is loving or unloving, yet we can go crazy second guessing ourselves or our experiences.

Don, for me, I welcome investigations into common experiences out of interest, but I believe the "truth" behind it will be mine to experience myself on an intuitive and emotional level, and the same will happen to each of us. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:42pm

Quote:
Walter Pahnke scientifically studied the question of whether the classical symptoms of mystical experience could be replicated by psychoactive drugs like psilocybin. So an experimental group of Harvard Divinity School students were given this drug in the chapel on Good Friday evening and a control group of students were given a placebo. Initially no one knew who received what. Those given the psilocybin generally experienced all the classical symptoms of authentic mystical experience. But their ecstasy, though very pleasant, did not produce the long-term transforming effect of a disciplined mystic's spiritual experiences.

Yes, it's understandable that the drug would not produce a long-term transformation.  The drug would only act upon the body in biological ways, which can produce paranormal experience, but would disappear once the drug wore off.  The drug wouldn't change a person's quality of being at their core. There's no free ride.  A disciplined mystic on the other hand has earned his/her quality of being by getting rid of fear and ego.  For the most part, paranormal experience occurs naturally as one releases fear and ego and spiritually matures, though one can't rule out the possibility that there are some who learn how to achieve paranormal activity in other ways.  However, those that do have far less power than the ones with a loving quality of being.   
Quote:
I myself have experienced intense satisfying ecstasy through speaking in tongues, but was later able to doubt the paranormal authenticity of such experiences. But these episodes lacked the long-term impact of another experience (about which I have posted) which was light-years more paranormally powerful and transformative, whose genuineness was later impossible for me to doubt.

Seems like maybe your initial experiences may have changed you in biological ways to create ecstasy, rather than in paranormal ways.  Sounds like you were very dramatically shown the difference between what we can create in terms of ecstasy and what can be given to us. Powerful stuff when expressed through our body!! Smiley
Quote:
So PUL can generate great ecstasy, but not all ecstasy is PUL. But is PUL a proper phrase for the best caliber BL experiences? The Christian word for PUL (Greek: "agape") designates a way of being and thus the terms 'pure" and "unconditional" can be measured in comparison with impurities for motivation and conduct and strings attached to our love (implicit conditions). But in NDEs PUL is an experience, not necessarily a way of being. So what impurities and strings attached are the foil for contrasting the experience of NDE PUL? If "pure" and "unconditional" are appropriate terms for NDE love, the presumably other NDErs may experience lower levels of these qualities, depending on the spirit plane reached.

So when NDErs encounter a BL and don't comment on an overwhelming loving experience, I'm just suggesting that this difference MAY be spiritually significant. Is the NDEr's perception or spiritual development less advanced? Or is she just experiencing a lower spiritual plane? Or perhaps a quiet peace can be just as authentic manifestation of BL PUL? If we embrace the afterlife principle that like attracts like and the Monroe-Moen identification is hellish planes, does the course of one's NDE already hint at one's ultimate postmortem destination?

PUL has lots of different interpretations based on one's personal experience and their ability to describe their experience adequately.  It is the BL's inner core being that is radiating forth.  It is almost like a tangible substance that can be felt because feeling is fundamental. It doesn't generate the same feeling/sensations in a person as a physical experience would because there is no physical body to sense with. You're a point of consciousness reacting to information being put forth within your own consciousness. Those who describe ecstasy or a quiet peacefulness are likely doing the best they can with what they understand and relate to based on their experience and subjective interpretation/understanding of that experience.  Everyone's unique even though we have shared cultural beliefs.

I've wondered if the principle of like attracts like actually applies to the non-physical.  Truthfully, I'm not sure, but even if it is applicable I seriously doubt if a NDE experience is in anyway telling of one's destination. For one thing, a NDE seems to take place in a reality that receives the newly deceased where we are accommodated according to personal belief and personal comforts in order to help prevent fear from arising. We also are never truly separated from our soul, so what if we at some point simply become integrated back into the fullness of our soul?  That may explain the oneness one feels with a BL some NDErs have expressed. If the BL is our soul, it sure would explain why I crave to be with it. lol  And...  What if hellish planes, etc. are symbolic representatives of fear/ego we're holding onto and not actual realities?  I'm not saying they can't be. Thinking of Storm's experience. To me what he experienced was his own fears coming to life so to speak or what he saw was a metaphor that represented his fear.
Quote:
The classical elements of the NDE (separation from the body, tunnel, BL, encounter with loved ones, arrival at a barrier or limit, past life review are archetypes, and as such, may or may not be experienced on the same spiritual plane. When some NDErs experienced these archetypes in a less intense form or skip over them altogether, it is worth contemplating what this might mean. People tend to make assumptions about such matters when they read about or hear NDE reports. I'm just trying to stimulate reflection on these seldom asked questions.

I'd say the classical elements you mention are beliefs or symbols used to describe experience. Jung would say inherited memory, but I'm not so sure about that. Could be, but I lean more to cultural belief.  If you're having a sensation of being pulled through darkness, a symbol representing a tunnel seems understandable as a way to describe what you're feeling. Arriving at a barrier/limit can foster all kinds of beliefs, but I do think there are no limitations to where we can go once we know how to get there. Or if someone shows us. Someone arriving at a barrier likely doesn't know how to go further into unfamiliar territory.  You can do a life review even while still alive in the physical, not necessarily only after transitioning. Perhaps whether or not one experiences these classical elements are dependent on the individual, their belief, spiritual maturity, etc.

Kathy

IP Logged

Ralph Buskey

Brick Township, NJ
Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:49pm

When I was in the Air Force in Japan, I became involved in Buddhism. I meditated a lot and even achieved a partial OOB experience. After I got out in 1981, I continued to meditate a lot while back at my mother's home where I lived until I could afford to move out.

One day I had a very vivid experience that I will never forget. It wasn't an out of body adventure and I didn't go through any tunnels of light. I just instantly found myself floating in space surrounded by spheres of light. They were slowly spinning around in a huge disc that had a large sphere of light in the center.

It reminded me of the constellation and the Sun. I had an impression that the Sun was actually God. Perhaps it was the Being Of Light (BL) that you mention of here. The vision lasted several minutes before I found myself waking up and feeling wonderful over the vision I just had. That was the only time that I ever had any experience like that.

Ralph

Ralph Buskey Ralph Buskey  
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #23 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:08pm

Kathy and Ralph:

I like the descriptions of what you experienced. Thank you for sharing.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #24 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:01pm

2 books by mental mediums who later became Christians seem relevant here: Raphael Gasson's “The Challenging Counterfeit” and Johanna Michaelson's “The Beautiful Side of Evil.”  Both thought they were performing a useful and loving service by connecting the deceased with their earthly loved ones and thought that their channeling was compatible with Christianity.  Johanna  was working with a Mexican female shaman, Maria, who displayed Christian symbols in her house.  Maria would enter trance and be possessed by Hermanito, her spirit control, who used her hands to perform psychic surgery with a resty hunting knife, with no concession to anesthesia.   Both Raphael and Johanna thought that their eventual conversion to charismatic Christianity was quite compatible with their work in channeling.  But to his surprise, Raphael was viciously attacked by his spirit guide, who repeatedly tried to force him into trance and then use his hands for self-strangulation.  Hermanito's former loving demeanor turned vicious as “he” now radiated hate towards Johanna.  She now was repeatedly knocked down by unseen hands and was assailed by hissing theatening voices.  These attacks left both mediums through prayers for protection offered by their new Christian communities.  Both were now sobered in their reassessive of the ecstasy  they had formerly experienced--Hence, the title of Johanna's book "The Beautiful Side of Evil.' 

Helen Schucman was the psychologist, (a Jewish atheist) who channelRD the voice of Jesus Christ, the alleged source of “A Course in Miracles.”  She and many practioners of ACIM experienced profound love and peace through this course.  Yet Helen would eventually loathe ACIM and her channeling experience; indeed, her channeling led to a depression psychosis that eventually  took her life.  One of her best friends, a Catholic psychologist (Dr. Groeschel) would later say that, unlike the many possession cases that he debunked, Helen's case seemed to be genuine demonic possession.

Why am I sharing these accounts?  Because they illustrate a serious problem in assessing the variety of NDEs: dramatic paranormal spiritual experiences always seem to come with seductive counterfeits.  In ES's view, this danger was so great that he discouraged others from developing astral gifts like his own.  All I'm saying is this: when we evaluate the full spectrum of various NDEs, we need to be alert to counterfeit experiences and the symptoms that might expose these. Feel- good is not always the same as bo-good.  Discussions like this can't prove anything, but I believe that such multi-faceted reflections provide the best hope for developing the spiritual discernment that can detect any counterfeits.   

Don

IP Logged

PauliEffectt

ALK Member

Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:14pm

Berserk2 wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:01pm:
But to his surprise, Raphael was viciously attacked by his spirit guide,
who repeatedly tried to force him into trance and then use his hands
for self-strangulation.  Hermanito's former loving demeanor turned
vicious as “he” now radiated hate towards Johanna.  She now was
repeatedly knocked down by unseen hands and was assailed by
hissing theatening voices.

...Helen would eventually loathe ACIM and her channeling experience;
indeed, her channeling led to a depression psychosis that eventually
took her life.  ...Helen's case seemed to be genuine demonic
possession.

Yes, exactly.

You will go to Hell!

Contacts with spirits lead to demonic possession.

You will burn forever.

Praise the Lord.

Hallelujha.

Crap.

IP Logged

isee
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:37pm

Because ACIM was brought up again on this board, I went to the site and deliberately studied the lessons for today. They were quite helpful and showed me that my concern means absolutely nothing...and that I can choose to see anyone differently. Completely my choice. So, no reason for a long, drawn out exercise in boredom, or annoyance, no reason at all. In fact, I'm going to skip the whole thing. Life is too short, and my evening full of other thoughts and feelings to enjoy....

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:16pm

Let's bring Assumption #2 into the discussion:

2. The assumption that the NDEr's identification of the BL is always projected on the basis of expectations: In most NDEs, the BL  does not identify itself; rather NDErs project a comfortable identification onto it.  Yet in other cases, Jesus explicitly identifies Himself as the BL to Christians, atheists, and in one case a Muslim.  Yet Muslims never seem to see Muhammad;  rather, they identify the BL as Allah (their word for “God”).  Does the BL often lie or deceive in the name of love so as not to alarm the NDEr with an unknown or disturbing identity?

So some posters imagine the BL is normally radiance from a spirit plane rather than a conscious entity.  What about the last sentence of Assumption #2?  When the BL—or an undetected being hidden with the light—explicity identifies itself as Jesus, especially to unbelievers, how is this revelation to be construed?  Will we be dogmatic and insist that these NDErs are confusing communication from this being with their own projections?  Will we instead claim that some unknown guide is impersonating Jesus to avoid trauma created by contact with an unfamiliar unexpected being?   In other words, is the being lying for some higher purpose?

If a counterfeit spirit is contacting the NDEr, how should we explain the counterfeit PUL initially encountered, but later renounced, by mediums Raphael Gasson and Johanna Michaelson?  How should we react to Helen Schucman's reversal of her high regard for her role as channeler of messages from Jesus Christ and her resulting psychotic break-down? 

Thankfully, this discussion has been intriguing.  Only Pauli's ideas seem to get desperately lonely. 

Don

IP Logged

harvey

Reply #28 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 1:34am

Don@: " myself have experienced intense satisfying ecstasy through speaking in tongues, but was later able to doubt the paranormal authenticity of such experiences.  But these episodes lacked the long-term impact of another experience (about which I have posted) which was light-years more paranormally powerful and transformative, whose genuineness was later impossible for me to doubt."

Don. Has your personal shit hit the faith fan?

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #29 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 5:04am

Tim

Thanks for your comments. I guess this sort of experience is more common than we acknowledge.

I worry about the soldiers who have PTSD. That's what they said Ihad but there are "worse" cases than mine. But I think your point about this state being part of the process of awakening is true. I think it applies to the PTSD people experience ..hence the connection to the sublime... but we don't talk about it.

Does the experience have anything in common with kundalini rising experiences? The classical book on that describes a very intense and sometimes debilitationg experience, sort of unique. But if there are degrees of kundalini, then maybe some of this PTSD stuff could be related to that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.