Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Neurosurgeon writes of his NDE (Read 16468 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

A Neurosurgeon writes of his NDE
Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:45pm

IP Logged

Bardo

Re: A Neurosurgeon writes of his NDE
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 9:19pm

Funny,
I clicked on to post another article about the same guy. I am curious to see how his experience has affected his Christianity. And I am also curious about how he spent the last four years since it happened. Very uplifting.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:00am

yeah he's director of research at TMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSYpuUh_iI&feature=youtu.be

I assume he is still there, a quick perusal of the Newsweek article didn't seem to uncover that bit of info.

IP Logged

harvey

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:10am

DocM wrote on Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:45pm:

A typical Christian reply to an OBE! One minute he's discounting his OBE. The next moment he's validating it! ..He goes from a 'Faithful Christian'..to a skeptic in his writings. Typical 'cash' generating spiel from the 'Christian' and "New Age' money making gravy train! Harvey. PS. Here's a link from an Australian News Website today..
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8545600/doctor-sees-heaven-in-out-of-body-journ...;  

IP Logged

harvey

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:14am

harvey wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 1:10am:
DocM wrote on Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:45pm:

A typical Christian reply to an OBE! One minute he's discounting his OBE. The next moment he's validating it! ..He goes from a 'Faithful Christian'..to a skeptic in his writings. Typical 'cash' generating spiel from the 'Christian' and "New Age' money making gravy train! Harvey. PS. Here's a link from an Australian News Website today..
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8545600/doctor-sees-heaven-in-out-of-body-journ...  

.ninemsn.com.au/world/8545600/doctor-sees-heaven-in-out-of-body-journey

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:21pm

For an interesting detailed interview, see "Dr. Eben Alexander's Near-Death Experience" on Youtube via Skeptico.com

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 4:32pm

This is the first NDE I've encountered in which someone can't recall his earth life.  Does his diseased brain somehow determine the shape of his NDE (riding on a butterfly, etc.)?  Typical elements of his experience include: new colors, a sense of greater vividness than healthy earthlife consciousness, a different experience of time, at one point, encounters exclusively with deceased friends and family memberls, and an experience of PUL emanating from what seems to be God and Christ.

The initial experiience of an underground cave with roots hanging from above intrigues me.  I've heard about similar experiences, perhaps misidentified as hell, a nd wonder if this is archetypal.  The butterflies also seem archetypal, a symbol of resurrection life from a cocoon.  In fact, archetypal experiences seem very common in NDEs (e. g. Colton Burpo's NDE at  age 4).  Our grasp of the nature and role of archetypes does not seem to have advanced much since Carl Jung; and his analysis, though brilliant, is still rather rudimentary.  I will probably buy Eben's forthcoming book.

Don

IP Logged

isee
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:26pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLgxniI7KM

interesting excerpt from a panel discussion in which Eben Alexander discusses the "butterfly girl" -- very heartfelt -- an example of what happens in NDEs which cannot be explained by the typical skeptic's point of view

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 10:35am

I didn't realize when I first posted this, that Alexander was director at TMI now.  That is quite a change from neurosurgery (which is fine).  I would hope that he brings his scientific background with him to create reasonable controlled studies in consciousness. 

It  is clear that what we perceive (butterfly girls, earthworm views, etc.) is very much influenced by our belief systems and perceptual abilities when we are in a mental plane.  So one thing I don't look for personally is to adopt another person's idea of heaven. 

One of my closest friends is a neurosurgeon in NY.  They are a small tight-knit community (not many training slots in university programs).  I plan to get some information about him, just out of interest.

Matthew

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 3:52pm

Yes, expertise in the most relevant related fields is often lacking in NDE and OBE research. Eben was adppted and met his birth parents and siblings only after his NDE. One of his birth sisters, whom he never met, died at a young age and is positively identifed by Eben as the butterfly girl.  That is a very impressive verification, given the fact that Eben never know about her at the time.   

I also recommend the coast-to-coast interview on "shared NDEs" that can be found on the lower right hand side of the same Youtube site.  Raymond Moody shares mind-blowing NDEs here.

IP Logged

Calypso

ALK Member

Chicagoland
Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 12:23pm

Ordered Alexander's book and just got it in the mail yesterday.  So far seems very persuasive, genuine and...well scientific, I guess. 

Do you really think he's just doing it for the money?

IP Logged

Claudio Pisani

Lauria, Italy
Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 1:10pm

Hummmm...that guy looks genuine, but he didn't die, so we can't take for granted his NDE. Skeptics may be right saying he had a burst of DMT when he awoke from coma and he might have made the "dream" in a few minutes before being totally lucid.
My 2€cent worth thought...  Roll Eyes

Love,Light & Serenity!&&Claudio
IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:28pm

The TV show 20/20 tomorrow night at 10 Eastern time will feature Alexander and his experience.

R

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 7:31am

Thanks for the info, Rondele.

Interesting. All of a sudden, it seems like this sort of thing is all over the TV. Why now? Maybe there is something to the ideas of 12-12-12 world changes  Wink

The culture does frustrate me in that it seems to take an Exeter/Duke/Harvard Med kind of path to impress the "people" into listening. Undoubtedly this will lead to expanded discussion on this., though as Claudio points out, it will bring the nay-sayers out in force. (they will pobably claim that the relevant date is 10-31!   Smiley ). Another person getting media attention now is MAry Neal, also an MD.  Why doesn't ABC have Anita Moorjani? though I gues she has gotten to play John the Baptist here. Also the young boy, Colin, from that book Heaven Can Wait   (I thinbk) has gotten TV exposure. This culture is so celebrity driven that it looks to certain personalities rather than to straight evidence.

Still all of this is happening rather quickly now.And if our souls make these choices for us, then both Eben's and Mary's made tough roads for them. (Mary lost a son , and she saw that in her NDE before it happened.) Wonder where it is all going?

So I plan to watch tonight. Will we all be there? Is this almost as good as meeting at the crystal?

_________

ps to Bets...ok I was good I didn't say Dook

IP Logged

Mogenblue

dutch spirit

Amsterdam
Reply #14 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 8:09am

Not me, Lucy. I'm on the other side of the splash.
But if you look carefully in your crystal you might see me smiling there.  Wink

A View into the Hereafter
Only by serving and loving the life of God, the human being conquers his Universe
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.