Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Is Good Evil and Evil Good? (Read 21624 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Re: Is Good Evil and Evil Good?
Reply #15 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 3:16pm

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the 'heretical' bit, that seems to be a strictly man made concept. It seems highly unlikely that a thunderbolt will be forthcoming. (at least not unless we consciously or unconsciously create it ourselves)...

Viewed from the framework i'm familiar with this is another of those scenarios where it seems that issues of ego and lack of seeing kick in to lock us into a  catch 22 scenario that leads to suffering.

From the absolute perspective there's nothing that matters even slightly in this ego made reality/world. It manifests as a result of our self centered perceptions and belief in it. Drop the collective beliefs that give rise to this perceived existence, and 'poof', we're out of here - back into the genuine God made reality that is love.

A well known quote:

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.

i.e. Love is of God, is real and cannot be threatened.
      What is of this world does not exist.
      This means we need in the end worry about nothing.

Meanwhile though our belief in individuality, that this reality matters, and our consequent fear that God will treat us as we do others has given rise to fear.

We're caught between fears. On the one hand our need for control leads us to cling to belief in the importance of individuality and in this reality, and our mistaken but deeply held gut belief in a vengeful God drives us deeper into this reality in an attempt to hide.

So while we're here our belief in individuality and in the hostile nature of our external reality leads us to act in unloving ways - to 'sin', and to do wrong: because as we see it there is no other way to survive.

Our belief in this reality, and in its cycle of death and rebirth keeps us locked within it, and believing in the importance of our actions - which because we retain at a deep level our higher knowing/connection with Spirit/higher mind we know are  unloving.

So we believe ourselves deserving of punishment, and given the creative nature of our collective mind we make that a reality (by manifesting karma) and so suffer more.

That's not to say that non-loving behaviours in this life don't matter. They don't in the absolute sense, but within this reality the resulting suffering drives us further into identification with our beliefs in individuality and in the need to take advantage of others to survive - and so we get driven deeper into the delusional beliefs that prevent our returning to God/the absolute.

The critical element is forgiveness, or in less religious language letting go of the past, and consequently no longer forcing negative interpretations on the present to project the negative futures that we're convinced must be responded aggressively to if we are to survive.

To look at every moment with fresh eyes - to see past the negatives our conditioning drives us to perceive in ourselves and others at this level to the loving/lovable perfection we know at the God level to be the reality - to know that we are already forgiven (it never happened, and anyway God is love), that nothing can harm that part of us that matters,   and that consequently we can ignore the perceived 'wrongs' done by others.

What we believe in we make reality for ourselves.

While we believe in the 'reality' of 'evil' and 'sin' (our own and that of others), and fear punishment and the loss of our body and of our existence in an unloving world (death) we make all of these a reality for ourselves.

We don't have to. But it's not easy, in that we're buried under the conscious and unconscious conditioning and beliefs of milennia, reinforced by the teaching of those that use religion to instill fear as a route to power.

But if we can move to believing in the reality of love then we become able to see it...

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2009 at 7:22pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 3:35pm

Vajra...makes sense to me.

Dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 6:50pm

Vajra:

You provided a perfect example of why ACIM is misleading (the origin of the words you quoted).

What takes place in this World does matter, despite what ACIM suggests.

Regarding being heretical, there are people and spirits that have no interest whatsoever in what divine will wants. In fact, they are opposed to divine will. To the extent they are able they cause others to suffer it matters, because others suffer, no matter how many times a person asserts this World is unreal and doesn't exist.

ACIM can lead to indifference just as Advaita Vedanta does.

It isn't just a matter of the suffering that takes place, this World was created so souls can learn some of the things they need to learn. Rather than downloading a program into each of us, God provided us with a way to choose what kind of  soul we want to be. When ACIM suggests that this World has nothing to do with reality because everything God creates is perfect, it completely misses the boat of what life is about.

We can't learn what the properties of existence are if we don't take a look. For example, we can't learn about humility without having some sense of what arrogance is.

People seek to find an escape from their mind and  sense of self when they find it problematic to have such things. The more they learn to live according to love, the more they'll lose the tendency to want to negate themselves.  Because I have a sense of self, I exist substantially enough to share love with another. Because I have a mind, I can decide whether I want to live according to love.

I don't believe a person can love others completely if he denies that some of them suffer. Some people deny the suffering of others because they don't want to feel their pain or deal with the fact of living in a World that is imperfect.  Their misguided stoicism can cause them to be a non-dynamic factor in this World.

I believe it is quite heretical for ACIM to claim as it does, because not only does it state that God has nothing to do with this World, it claims that God  doesn't care about what takes place within it, because as far as he is concerned, it doesn't exist.

I don't believe God judges us, but he certainly cares how we treat each other. To suggest that he doesn't because of what some course says is quite insulting.

Here's a question that people who are into ACIM never seem to want to answer. The course says that noting we see is real, because everything God creates is perfect. If this is the case, then what created this World? Is there something other than God that created it?

If one suggests that one of God's creations created it, how could this creation be imperfect enough to create a World that is imperfect, if God created it?

I believe a day will come when everything will work out for the best, but it is a mistake to act as if everything  is perfect when problems still exist. We don't make things perfect by making a bunch of affirmations. We make them perfect by dealing with the issues that need to be dealt with.

If a war exists do something to end it, rather than denying its existence as lesson 14 of the course instructs.

If an airplane crash takes place people do lose their loved ones, despite what lesson 14 says.

If a disaster takes place people do need help, regardless of how lesson 14 instructs people to assert that disasters doen't exist.

What a disaster it would be if people turned a blind eye to disaster victims who need help, because lesson 14 "misled" them to believe that disaters don't exist.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 8:49pm

Hi R. Quite honestly i can't and don't know if the ACIM framework is true, anymore than we can know if any given interpretation of the 'why' of existence is correct.

What is clear though is that it does not teach that God does not care what happens in the world. The opposite in fact - it sets out very explicitly the means by which He acts in the world through Spirit and utilising the Christ ideal to guide us clear of suffering.

The means is exactly as you say - worldly situations (as we perceive them, because a given event can be perceived in many ways) are used as teaching opportunities. We are provided with all possible support to hear and learn the reality based way of being and seeing - although our conditioned tendency to selectively perceive means most of us are pretty profoundly deaf much of the time.

To position ACIM as saying that what we do does not matter is a fundamental misinterpretation. But what it does teach (in keeping with many other traditions) is that the only way free of the belief that we can only survive by taking advantage of others is to raise our perception and hence our state of being - to come to genuinely know that at the highest level what happens here does not matter, because at the highest level it isn't real and consequently never happened.

The core of the teaching is that this higher perception is the only means by which we can hope to get past our earthly dog eat dog conditioning to become able to live through love.

Teachings that position 'wrongdoing' as truly real simply reinforce our belief in the enormity of the task of forgiveness - and provide the ego self with further excuses to stall.

Of course it's possible for somebody to take this as carte blanche to do whatever they want (as has been the case for centuries with the Catholic confession) - it's a high level and very nuanced view (much like the higher Mahayana Buddhist teachings) that leaves plenty to personal responsibility.

But unless we accept predestination as a reality (which eliminates any possibility that our life decisions have any meaning) can there in the end ever be any way out without personal choice?

Buddhism for example is very explicit about this - the introductory body of teaching that is the Hinayana is basically a simpler rule based body of teaching designed for people not yet ready to take on board and realise a more nuanced view - the idea is to at least teach them the why and how of keeping out of trouble.

As regards the creation of this reality it's again a matter of causes within causes. It teaches that none of this is happening against higher will - as creative mind beings of God given free will we have the option to perceive, behave and as a result experience as we decide.

This is precisely why it's necessary that in the end our actions have no effect on the higher reality, while being very real indeed at this level - if we seek to claim that creation is not set up in this way then we arguably seek to place ourselves in control.

As regards it's being 'heretical' i guess as before that that's very much a matter of personal perception.

The problem as ever that leads to this sort of debate is our tendency to dualistically interpret stuff. This reality does not have to be one or the other - the creation of collective ego, or a higher creation.

The likelihood is that in reality is is simultaneously both, plus any other number of possibilities all at once. What we perceive out of this depends wholly on what we believe - on what we want to see....

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:22pm

Thank you Vajra for reminding me that ACIM is good source to work from. It takes a pounding in here, but if it weren't for that book I would have never gotten to this board for sure. Nothing quite fits my model perfectly but I do get a sense that that book came out at the perfect time. Thank you for posting that.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #20 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:21pm

Vajra:

I read all of what you wrote, but responded to only some of the things you said.

Vajra: Hi R. Quite honestly i can't and don't know if the ACIM framework is true, anymore than we can know if any given interpretation of the 'why' of existence is correct.

Recoverer: Oh but you can, if you allow yourself to do so.

Vajra: What is clear though is that it does not teach that God does not care what happens in the world. The opposite in fact - it sets out very explicitly the means by which He acts in the world through Spirit and utilising the Christ ideal to guide us clear of suffering.

Recoverer: If a being wants to be successful at misleading a lot of people, it will need to find a way to trick people into believing it is offering something  positive. If you consider the lesson I referred to (14) plus some of the other lessons, the course has the intent of conditioning people to be indifferent.

Regarding the Christ ideal, I don't believe a source that pretends to be Christ is capable of representing such an ideal. The manner in which I've received spirit guidance has been quite different than the course. A bunch of affirmations has not been a part of the process. Asserting that this World doesn't exist isn't a part of the process.

One evening I was shown an image of Jesus on the cross. I saw the actual man, rather than a statue. He was positioned on the cross so his pain could be seen. His pain wasn't due to his wounds, it was due to how he feels about what goes on this World. This message didn't serve the point of telling me that I don't have to be concerned about what takes place because this World doesn't exist. It served the point of telling me that Christ is very aware of what takes place, he doesn't deny it, and some of us need to change things for the better.

If we assert to ourselves that what we see isn't real, we'll strip away some of our motivation to change things for the better. I'm not making an unsupported statement. I've known a number of people who weren't concerned about what takes place in this World because their belief in non-dual teachings such as Advaita Vedanta caused them to believe that there isn't a World to be concerned about. ACIM has a lot in common with Advaita Vedanta and can have the same effect.

Sometimes non-dualists have the mindset that there is nothing you can do to change this World for the better, so the only solution is to get people to follow their guru and become enlightened (supposedly) so they can escape it. There are many verses within ACIM that show the same all or nothing approach.

I don't believe an approach that causes us to give on this World is a good approach.

Vajra: To position ACIM as saying that what we do does not matter is a fundamental misinterpretation. But what it does teach (in keeping with many other traditions) is that the only way free of the belief that we can only survive by taking advantage of others is to raise our perception and hence our state of being - to come to genuinely know that at the highest level what happens here does not matter, because at the highest level it isn't real and consequently never happened.

Recoverer: The fact of the matter is that "at this time" we are in this World, and we need to deal with what currently exists, rather than projecting ourselves into a future that doesn't exist.

People who have NDEs often state that it is important to love each other, and to be a positive influence. They don't say "nothing you see is real, so don't worry  about it.""

People aren't going to get this World to stop existing as it does by programming themselves to believe that it doesn't exist. It is going to improve when peopleacknowledge the many problems that exist and seek to improve them, partly by growing in love.

When we are in this World it is our responsibility to make things better, rather than acting as if we are in our goal state.  During my night in heaven experience I understood that things eventually work out wonderfully, but I'm here in the World now, and have to deal with what exists now.

Vajra: The core of the teaching is that this higher perception is the only means by which we can hope to get past our earthly dog eat dog conditioning to become able to live through love.

Recoverer:  One  way to love people is to see them as they are. If they are in fact sufffering, then we need to help them, rather than pretending that they  don't exist.

Vajra: Teachings that position 'wrongdoing' as truly real simply reinforce our belief in the enormity of the task of forgiveness - and provide the ego self with further excuses to stall.

Recoverer: Consider the life reviews people experiene during  NDEs. If a person did something to harm others, then he (or she) has to become accutely aware of how others suffered. It isn't a matter of asserting that the suffering of others isn't real. It is a matter of learning why it is important to care about what others experience.  This World isn't the final goal, but it exists substantially enough so souls can learn the lessons they need,  such as caring about the welfare of others.

Vajra: Of course it's possible for somebody to take this as carte blanche to do whatever they want (as has been the case for centuries with the Catholic confession) - it's a high level and very nuanced view (much like the higher Mahayana Buddhist teachings) that leaves plenty to personal responsibility.

Recoverer: Not everybody will respond to ACIM in the same way. Consider Dannion Brinkley. Because he quoted the course in his third book I suppose he believes in it, yet his book shows that he isn't indifferent to what takes place in this World. Nevertheless, the course can cause people to be indifferent and simply dismiss what takes place as unreal.

Vajra: But unless we accept predestination as a reality (which eliminates any possibility that our life decisions have any meaning) can there in the end ever be any way out without personal choice?

Recoverer: I'm not certain what you mean. Nevertheless,  I'll say this: the more our souls gain wisdom, the more we are able to make wise choices. Eventually we'll be wise enough to realize that what divine will has in store for us is the best option available by a long shot.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:41pm

Vajra-

I have just one question for you- have you ever read any of the Gospels?

If so, you've read the teachings of the Biblical Jesus.

Do you seriously believe that the same person who lived 2,000 years ago and said what he said, is the same person who dictated ACIM?

Because the teachings are diametrically opposed to each other.  Either the biblical Jesus is a fraud, or the Jesus who authored ACIM is a fraud.

After all, eternal truths do not change.  Or do they?

Maybe Jesus changed his mind.

What do you think?

R
ps oh by the way, one of the exercises dictated by the ACIM Jesus refers to Jesus in the third person!  A little slip-up, wouldn't you say?

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 4:11pm

I agree with the last bit you wrote there Albert, but people who are looking for a reason to be indifferent to the plight of others will find it in most anything. That is where they are. I don't think ACIM should be discounted because how someone might or might not use the information. When I see someone suffering I have to use a little wisdom to figure out if what I offer can be of help to them. I want to help where that help is wanted and needed, but a slit throat for my trouble is not what I am after either.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:28pm

Rondelle:

I agree with you that the being from ACIM doesn't sound like Jesus in the gospels.

I usually speak of my spirit guidance in a generic sense, but I believe it is worthwhile to state that before I make contact I pray a bit and always say the name of Christ, and the only guide who has identified himself (or herself) is Christ.  Most of the time my guide doesn't identify himself. Perhaps it is a matter of faith, since I have made contact with Christ, and because of who I reach out to.

Whatever the case, as I said before, the guidance I have received has been quite different than ACIM. In fact, my guidance might have a hard time communicating to me if I expected it to follow the parameters set by ACIM.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #24 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 3:47am

The only thing that kept Jesus on the cross was his love for humanity

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #25 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 1:52pm

I must say that views I have seen posted on this board of a binary nature - a source is 100 % accurate or is 100% fraudulent does'nt square with my experience at all of the world. In my experience sources may be (to me) mostly inaccuarate, half/half and mostly accurate with a couple of doubts and all shades in between.It seems to be that if a skeptic is able to identify a flaw ( or a moral transgression of the author for that matter ) they think it invalidates the whole canon of work.

For example in the New Testament - Mathew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38 both give contradictory genealogies for Joseph Jesus's father. Also According to Matthew, Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the Great (Matthew 2:1). According to Luke, Jesus was born during the first census in Israel, while Quirinius was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2). However, Herod died in March of 4 BC and the census took place in 6 and 7 AD, about 10 years after Herod's death.

Do these contradictions invalidate the whole bible? I don't think so. It only prohibits a literal interpretation of it - it still may 'have value'. The difference being that one now has to be discriminating and show judgement. The same applies to non-scriptural text. With everything we read or hear we have to make a value judgement. No one else can do this for us.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #26 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 2:09pm

Heisenberg 69:

When it comes to the gospels you're speaking about it could be a matter of human beings recording what took place with Jesus in an inconsistent manner. This doesn't negate the reality of Jesus.

When somebody fraudulently claims to have channeled a spirit being that represents the light it is quite a different manner. It isn't a matter of actual occurences being recorded in an inaccurate manner. It is a matter of a fraud sometimes saying things that are accurate, and sometimes saying things that are false.

heisenberg69 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 1:52pm:
I must say that views I have seen posted on this board of a binary nature - a source is 100 % accurate or is 100% fraudulent does'nt square with my experience at all of the world. In my experience sources may be (to me) mostly inaccuarate, half/half and mostly accurate with a couple of doubts and all shades in between.It seems to be that if a skeptic is able to identify a flaw ( or a moral transgression of the author for that matter ) they think it invalidates the whole canon of work.

For example in the New Testament - Mathew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38 both give contradictory genealogies for Joseph Jesus's father. Also According to Matthew, Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the Great (Matthew 2:1). According to Luke, Jesus was born during the first census in Israel, while Quirinius was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2). However, Herod died in March of 4 BC and the census took place in 6 and 7 AD, about 10 years after Herod's death.

Do these contradictions invalidate the whole bible? I don't think so. It only prohibits a literal interpretation of it - it still may 'have value'. The difference being that one now has to be discriminating and show judgement. The same applies to non-scriptural text. With everything we read or hear we have to make a value judgement. No one else can do this for us.

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 2:48pm

I would only say, "consider the conductivity of the circuit". I have yet to encounter a perfectly pure channel. Certain Jesus may well be pure, but the perceptions of this entity though well meaning don't always fly with me. Why would I use the Bible to refute someone, when it is certainly flawed as well? Okay, not "Certainly" but probably as Pointed out above by Heisenberg. People of the time (2000 years ago) were no more trusting of the "new ideas" than people are today of new ideas. For some reason the older it is the more it resonates with some. Not a problem for me. Old things resonate with me too sometimes, but I know times have changed since Shakespeare, but I still like the way the texts are written but when someone tries to emulate it it usually falls flat because it was born out of a different time with a different understanding of ...well...everything.

The decision space of those 2000 years ago was smaller, but perhaps Jesus was the exception, but he still had to convey to that smaller decision space and the Bible is the result of that smaller decision space trying to make sense out of something that may well be likened to me making sense out of quantum entanglements.

So on Good and Evil I have to say that I still stand where I stood before I came to this board over a year ago. It is just another aspect of a binary existence and the terms are metaphors. The golden rule governs. It does not judge for you but lets you be the judge based on what you get for your actions.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 3:13pm

Recoverer:

I am quite prepared to accept that Jesus was/is an exceptional being but what we know of Him comes largely through the four Gospels written by people (who may or may not have met Him - I don't know I was'nt there) and then translated a number of times to their present form. Plenty of opportunity for distortion to enter the equation. Subjective personal experiences of Jesus are just that - subjective and personal.

Dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 3:29pm

Dave:

When I read the gospels I consider whether the words attributed to Jesus actually came from him. Certainly it is possible that some people have misquoted him.

heisenberg69 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2009 at 3:13pm:
Recoverer:

I am quite prepared to accept that Jesus was/is an exceptional being but what we know of Him comes largely through the four Gospels written by people (who may or may not have met Him - I don't know I was'nt there) and then translated a number of times to their present form. Plenty of opportunity for distortion to enter the equation. Subjective personal experiences of Jesus are just that - subjective and personal.

Dave

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.