Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Second Stage of Death; the REAL Afterlife? (Read 12764 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Second Stage of Death; the REAL Afterlife?
Reply #30 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Bruce said: "I remember heading out with a friend on some nonphysical exploration or other when we both unexpectedly stopped after being called to by an elderly lady.  Standing in front of her we noticed that she was all dressed up in white, glowing clothes and behind her were these huge, white gates.  The gates looked like wrought iron in shape and construction but the were painted with a thick, white, sparkling pearl-like substance.  The lady did her best to welcome us and induce us to both pass through the Pearly Gates into her heaven, saying we should be happy that we had arrived at the Gates to Heaven.  Since that wasn't what we had planned to explore we thanked the lady and told her we had other places to visit instead.  She had a very shocked look on her face as we flew off into the darkness."

Recoverer responds: "The above is a bit puzzling. You would think that a lady who believed in such a heaven wouldn't be in a position to welcome people into such a heaven, she would leave it up to Jesus or perhaps St. Peter if she was Catholic.  I also find it puzzling that a spirit wouldn't be able to recognize that Bruce and his friend were spirits that still made use of a body.

I've found that quite often what is experienced non-physically is a simulation, not a literal experience of an actual realm.

In Voyage to Curiosity's father Bruce speaks of a hollow heaven. Other sources of information that seem honest also speak of hollow heavens. When I read Bruce's account the following questions occurred to me:

1. For the denomination Bruce spoke of, who did the first person of the referred to denomination meet up with when he (or she) went to the hollow heaven Bruce wrote about? Did he end up in a hollow heaven all by himself?

2. If this person did end up all by himself, wouldn't he expect to meet up with beings such as God, Jesus, the Apostles, Moses, an Angel or some of the Christians from Biblical times? Even if these beings weren't members of this person's denomination, certainly they would be qualified to abide in heaven.

3. I find it puzzling that souls masquerading to be Jesus were the first light beings to appear to the souls in the hollow heaven Bruce spoke of, because I figure Jesus himself would've done so beforehand. If Jesus' spirit can appear to me, Howard Storm, George Ritchie, and many other people, why couldn't his spirit appear to the people in the hollow heaven Bruce wrote about?

4. Supposedly spirit communication takes place with telepathy. Also, numerous people including near death experiencers have spoken of the intense love Jesus radiates. This being the case, it is hard to figure why souls in a hollow heaven would have a difficult time recognizing Jesus. Especially, if they expected to meet him.

There are other factors I find curious, but perhaps what I said is a good enough start. If hollow heavens exist in some manner, perhaps they exist simply so each soul is able to have the free will to decide for its self if it wants to move onto a more expansive way of viewing life. Nevertheless, because some of the facets of the hollow heaven Bruce experienced seem illogical, perhaps he was presented with a symbolic representation rather than experiencing an actual hollow heaven.  Therefore, I refer back to what I said when I mentioned that quite often we experience a simulation rather than an actual realm.

In one of his youtube interviews Howard Storm suggests this possibly.  When he witnessed Jewish people being burned to death during the holocaust (during his NDE), and saw them greeted by angels as their spirits left smoke stacks, he stated that he might've experienced a simulation rather than an actual event.

Bruce wrote: "Personally, I view my lifetime Here as a welcomed vacation from eternity.  While being focused 'over There' the fact that we are eternal beings who exist forever is a more 'in your face' kind of thing.  Frankly, knowledge of the eternal nature of our being can get boring after a while.  Focusing Here, in a physical lifetime, seems to block awareness of ourselves as eternal beings.  It's kind of a welcomed relief for some of us."

Recoverer responds: "The above contradicts what a lot of people including myself have found. When I've experienced a heavenly realm it felt so wonderful I couldn't imagine this World having more to offer. Many near death experiencers speak of how they don't want to leave a heavenly realm and are anxious to return.

Does a being such as the planning intelligence get bored and have to reincarnate?

Outside of the lessons that are available in this World, what could this World offer that is preferable to what a higher realm has to offer? Is there something better than perfect love and peace? Plus, it isn't as if the creative aspect of being can't be used in a heavenly realm.

There is also the matter of how this World includes many terrible incarnations. How could it possibly be more enjoyable to go through the suffering many people go through, than to abide in a heavenly realm?

Regarding reincarnation, going by the spirit messages I received and what makes sense to me, no self incarnates more than one time.  This is a hazy area. Some people receive information one way, and some people receive it another way.

If we think in terms of all time periods happening at the same time, then all parts of a disk are incarnated at the same time.  Therefore, a probe that is incarnated in the 18th century is a different parcel of consciousness than a probe that is incarnated in the 21st century."

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #31 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 11:49pm

Albert,

Bruce reports his experiences, and encourages you to explore yourself.  He does not present his explorations as the bottom line of "the way it is," just his journal of events, as it were. 

You clearly have a bend to what you expect to find - your post shows that most clearly.  Our perceptions are colored by our expectations.  Everything does not have to be perfectly logical.  It simply is or it isn't.

Our afterlife journey appears to be governed by how much we allow the love of heaven to enter our thoughts, and how loving we are to others.  The woman standing by the unusual pearly gates might have been one who just crossed over; one who attended church or temple regularly, who wanted recognition for her deeds, but was not truly loving, and acting out of love.  She may have been caught up in her exteriors for recognition, without it being her inner feeling of love and charity.  As such, it was "her heaven," they encountered, somewhat off from classical description.

We will NEVER know, if astral or other exploration is absolutely "real" or a simulation, but I find it somewhat offensive that you assume that Bruce's experience that doesn't fit your expectation should be considered a simulation.  We explore with our minds with the tools we have to perceive and it is not usually an objective exploration (as stated above).

Regarding us willingly incarnating to take a break from eternity, I can empathize with both sides of that coin.  In focus 27, if we can create almost anything by thinking about it, when does the shine wear off the new toy?  If we follow the path of love, perhaps we will find a role helping others in heaven.  However, what if we knew that we could incarnate, and accomplish that goal?  Or what if we wanted to dive in to experience the vulnerabilities of being mortal, where things seem to matter more (at the time)?   What if one of our loved ones could be helped by our incarnating on earth and guiding them?  I've often felt that I was meant to be my six-year-old son's father.  That it was a tacit decision I made or was destined to make because our souls were linked.  If I were in spirit and knew that I could incarnate simply to guide him and be there for him, I would do it in a minute, despite the hardships I've faced in my life.

This is not to say that any of those thoughts prove or disprove the idea of reincarnation.  I am of the mind that reincarnation occurs much less often than some think.  But the reasons for incarnating could be many.

In the thread about the second stage of death, it has become clear to me that earth life offers certain advantages to spiritual growth, aside from paths where we can stray.  I believe that evolution may occur much more slowly in spirit, after the second stage of death, when people pursue their innermost loves in a heaven or hell.  On earth perhaps the unique mixture of our exteriors (supergo, laws, or mask of civility) and our interiors (our deepest loves), may allow some people to move into a more loving spiritual state in a quicker fashion.  In part this may happen because the earth is the one meeting ground where people of all inner inclinations, loving, hateful or in between interact on an even playing field.   In spirit, people seem to congregate only in a "like attracts like" fashion

Matthew

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #32 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 12:23am

Beyond Focus 27, and what Bruce said about it, I remember a mind-journey where I thought I was in Focus 27, but on the very edge of it: A plane, nearly featureless, let it be a short-cut lawn or a sandy desert, there were people sitting, like meditating. Each one alone. What I got from that was, they will be soon leaving Focus 27, or better said, they will be soon overcome any attachments of the human life, so that they can act as really true helpers for the humans, or leave this human sphere, to merge with something more encompassing, or roam on their own the now, for them, greater world.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Matthew:

I don't believe it is a matter of being offensive or having a strong bend one way or the other. It is a matter of being allowed to discern what somebody reports.

Just because some people state that reincarnation happens in a manner that is similar to the manner people often believe, this doesn't mean that I lose the right to receive information that states differently. Bruce presented a viewpoint that is somewhat conventional, and I presented another viewpoint. Why is it wrong for me to do so?

Regarding the simulation factor, I believe it is incumbent upon me to use my discrimination when I read what other people have to say.  Because I found that many of my non-physical experiences were simulations that served the purpose of making one or more specific points rather than providing a precise and complete explanation of how reality exists, I consider whether other people experience a simulation or something factual.

There is nothing wrong with me wondering what would actually happen if a soul arrived at a hollow heaven such as the one Bruce spoke about in Voyage to Curiosity's Father. Would the first soul from a sect to arrive in a hollow heaven expect other souls to be there? Would such a soul be expectant and therefore open to meeting Christ? Would Christ be able to present himself in a manner that is convincing?

What is your suggestion, that I read what people write without considering the details of what they say?

I believe it is a bit much for you to conclude that I'm heavily biased in some way because I'm willing to question.

You stated that Bruce suggests that we have our own experiences. Well I've had some of my own experiences and some included Christ. Therefore, if the spirit of Christ can be available for me, then his spirit can be available for others, even though some report in a manner that possibley suggests that his spirit isn't available.

I must add, that when it comes to Christ, I started out as a skeptic. How can a person really know if he or she doesn't try to find out.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #34 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 1:38pm

Albert,

I respect your experiences with Christ, and they are yours.  Everyone's perception is unique.  The misconception I feel, that is inherent in your questions is that a person must encounter JC in their afterlife experience. 

If God is love, and JC was the embodiment of God on earth, then it is possible that loving people come to heaven in all sorts of ways, without having a personal conversation with him.  Yes, there are instances where people have met JC who were not christian, and surprised to find him at the end of the tunnel.  But there are many instances where this was not the case (NDE Mellen-Benedict).

Some people need to see what they want to at the time both in death and life.  Bruce did not postulate that we all reincarnate, without exception.  He just stated his findings on a center for incarnation, and ideas why incarnating might be a welcome break from the spirit realm.

As to bias, it was, to me clear in your writings that JC is a figure that has been verified to you, and that if other explorations don't factor him in as a presence, you wonder and/or doubt their "reality." As I said, I accept your profound experiences with him one on one, yet I am uncertain that the personification of the divine is right for all of us.  When Storm was asked which was the "best religion" the answer was whatever brings us closer to God.  Swedenborg too found that righteous pagans, and those who loved God and their fellow men ended up in heaven. 

In Swedenborg's point of view, it was the state of the soul vis a vis love that determined where they would be.  True, he felt that after finding themselves in heaven, most pagans would be schooled about Christ, and their reality.   That was his take on things.

The NDE and afterlife experience is so varied and so dependent on a person's own inner consciousness, that I think trying to standardize who we should meet, etc. is not a useful exercise.  There is not just one post-mortem reality.

Matthew

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #35 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Matthew:

I don't know if a person needs to meet Christ before he (or she) goes to heaven. I believe what is necessary is that a person is humble enough so he is willing to accept what divine will and truth is about, even if it means acknowledging more (or perhaps less) about Christ than he was willing to acknowledge before going to heaven. Things are set up as they are, regardless of what we are willing to acknowledge.

When it comes to the hollow heaven issue, I was referring to what a Christian would expect. If you go by the experience of Howard Storm, if you ask for Christ's help, you will receive it.  I don't believe that Storm dealt with a being who was pretending to be Christ.

This being the case, why wouldn't the Christians people refer to when they speak of hollow heavens be met by the spirit of Christ if they ask for his assistance?

Going by what I've read, Swedenborg's explanations of how realms are set up don't jive with the Monroe description.

What about the main reservations I brought up? It doesn't seem as if you have addressed them directly.

1. Wouldn't the first soul who arrived in a hollow heaven find it puzzling that nobody else could be found in such a realm?

2. Wouldn't such a soul expect beings such as Jesus to be there?

3. Would Jesus actually have a hard time convincing a soul that he is in fact himself? Not even Thomas was a doubting Thomas once he met Jesus after his crucifixion.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 7:19am

Hi all. Thank you for the careful reply Bruce. I've not read many of your books, and not the one which looks at some of these possibilities. Nor have i read ES.

What's interesting about this thread is that it shows considerable agreement about the 'what' of the afterlife, but quite a lot of variation in how we interpret the 'why', and how we describe it.

We seem mostly to see an afterlife where initially we arrive with our learned patterns of behaviour and personality more or less intact, and create a surrounding reality in accordance with these, but that over 'time' (?) these fall away to reveal our true nature or core self/beliefs - at which point we create/migrate to like realities. (sounds a lot like dissolution to me)

There's clarity to the effect that it's our true nature/beliefs that determine the realities we are drawn to/find ourselves in/create, with the caveat that confusion may introduce potentially a lot of randomness into the process.

We seem to do better at accessing (from this life) the earlier stages of the afterlife than the rebirth/release stages, but even there there is a fair amount of insight and agreement. (e.g. Spooky - your beings waiting to move on, having transcended the cycle of re-birth. Robert Monroe describes more integrated beings moving beyond the cycle of life/death too)

Differences in language, expression and specific beliefs/objections to beliefs make the the views seem far less harmonised than i suspect they actually are.

Depending on our perspective we can look on the earth/afterlife/time/space/relative reality as a realm of ego and of suffering, a learning school, a realm of God, or even as a vacation from eternity.

Depending on our system of logic/expression we can talk of God as manifesting will in our mind/created realities in various ways using concepts like ego, self, duality, Spirit, Christ, Love, our own higher mind,  Buddha nature and so on.

My personal sense is that these views are all (from the perspective of our dualistic minds) at least partially true - and may appear totally true to us depending on our view or perception.

The ego dominated mind sees little except those  'others' vs. 'me' in a dog eat dog physical world of competing selves. When they look beyond the physical they still tend to create a power based reality of demons, devils  and other negative entities.

To the mind manifesting only Love the negative aspects of this existence are as nothing - unreal. (they only become significant iof your beliefs make them so)

Most of us have a considerable connection to God and Love, but are equally still quite heavily bound to our belief in the reality of the physical/relative and self based world and its importance. Others that have transcended this may choose to manifest in it out of Love to help others, but for them it may have no absolute reality or significance whatsoever and be quite incidental.

I guess i was pushing a little because i felt there was possibly a bit of a tendency to view the afterlife as some sort of personal heaven, and to feel that we only had to intellectually decide to do so and we could transcend the likelihood that our beliefs determine our afterlife experience come what may.

We seem to agree that this is clearly not the case. I guess the point is that there is an enormous gulf between thinking something, and 'being' something - the whole point of spiritual self work is transformation. Until we transcend certain less than loving beliefs they will determine the afterlife realities/route we create for ourselves back into the world  - and presumably the sort of scenario we find ourselves in it.

The Buddhist expression of all this (the wheel of death/dissolution/rebirth into a more or less desirable physical life) tends to emphasise the unsatisfactory nature of this life, and the desirability of transcending this - yet peculiarly enough it's all there in what we describe...

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 8:15am

Ok, Vaj,

I am guided to chime in here.  I like your post.  A few issues came up.  You mentioned the second stage of death (stripping away of the exteriors as ES calls it) as dissolution; I see it more as a distillation or clarification.  Our inner nature shines through without the mask of society or superego.  We are purely what our deepest love or motivation is, without pretending to be anything else.

My next thought to your post is on the necessity of reincarnation.  This is a big sticking point on the forum.  Classic doctrine of reincarnationsts is clear that it is an inevitable cycle, even one that man goes through without choice unless he transcends ego based thinking.

Yet some afterlife scenarios and reports are not so cut and dry.  We hear of loving people who die who become part of heavenly societies, trying to help others.  They may not have thrown off the vestiges of ego yet, but for the most part they are well intentioned.  There seems to be free will in the physical and afterlife planes of existence.  The idea that our free will must lead to reincarnation if we are not realized (of our buddha nature/enlightened), seems to be an over-simplification.  It seems to me that there are many choices available to us when we make the transition of consciousness. 

Matthew

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:45pm

There's probably no problem there Doc. While i've never heard a Buddhist teaching to the effect that we can remain in the non-physical in some sort of teaching role (it doesn't remotely mean there isn't one), it seems likely to follow logically from the principle that we are inevitably driven by our deepest beliefs and convictions.

'Dissolution' too just happens to be the word used in some quarters for a process which (while we're maybe not quite sure of the detail) we're pretty sure happens.

Reincarnation is likewise by the principle that beliefs/attachments determine outcomes presumably only inevitable for those (very much the majority) attached to continued physical existence in the earth life system. (that's almost Monroe speak  Smiley)

It seems perfectly reasonable that there may be some who while they are not ready to transcend individuality are more than ready to give up earth life to enable them to maximise their assistance to others. There may also be others who while they could move on choose to remain in this sort of teaching role - in much the same way that Buddhism teaches (the Bodhisattva ideal) that realised teachers have chosen to be reborn on earth for this same reason. By what we have said there may even be some early on acting out the facade of teacher, and misleading others...

It's maybe worth saying too that Buddhism posits that there are many realms into which we can be reborn, and many of these seem not to be physical, or at least do not seem to operate to the same rules as earth life. (the wheel of life briefly sketches some of the possibilities)

It does teach though that a human life (better still an appropriate one) is pretty ideal as a basis for spiritual progress - tough enough to force us to confront the reality of egoistic behaviours, but not so tough that we are driven out of all consuming fear into karmically unhelpful behaviours  - which could in turn cause re-incarnation in an even worse realm.

The result is that it's taught that we should do all the spiritual work we can in this life to help ourselves gain the freedom from ego needed to enable an optimum (suitable human) re-birth. (it's basically taught too that we should not over indulge in this sort of speculation  Wink - that we should instead concentrate on our knitting. That is work at what is directly relevant to our spiritual progress)

There's a pretty high degree of unanimity between spiritual teachings too to the effect that we (even those realised) ultimately don't gain complete  freedom to move on until we collectively transcend individuality. (i can't say if 'we' means just all humans, or all earth life, or as i suspect it may mean all physical and non physical life with any attachment to individuality in the cosmos. Buddhism routinely talks of assisting 'all sentient beings')

What i can't even speculate on is what the full range of afterlife possibilities may be - but i can't help feeling too that the possibilities are probably infinite.

You mention choice, but i think it's not a simple matter in this context. We all have 100% freedom of choice at all times, and indeed there exists the possibility of our deciding to move beyond this sort of existence at any time.

The problem is that out of fear we actually are unable to bring ourselves to do so - the attachment to physical existence, self-hood or whatever other ego inspired beliefs we hold, and the fear caused by the possibility of losing what we as a result mistakenly value (by the principle above) binds us to the possibility of only those options we can entertain.

When dominated 100% by unthinking, instinctive and reactive ego backed by a rigid template of associated beliefs we presumably have no freedom of choice at all, whereas those who have developed rather more equanimity have freedom within the areas they have ironed out.

The realised person can access this total freedom of choice, but i think maybe that at that stage the love we all hold for our fellow beings (but which is significantly obscured by ego in most of us) kicks in and we become unwilling to move on without doing what is necessary to release them too. We all become Christ....

Pardon my going on, but it's quite scary and at the same time wonderful territory....
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:05am by N/A »  

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #39 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:58pm

Sweedenborg says we are in human form for just one year.If that is true,than how come I saw and talked to my little playmate who died 70 years ago still had a human body,just as solid as I did.I even talked to her and she to me.and she looked as if she came from where the sun shines.jesus said he would set his kingdom up on earth with people with human bodies.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #40 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:33am

Hi George,

ES doesn't say we are not human after a year.  And for any person, the time passing can vary greatly.  To be honest, since there is no sense of time in the afterlife, I'm not sure how you correlate earth-time with afterlife  consciousness.

Anyhow, the only point he brings up that he experiences is that the outer mask that we wear, from our upbringing and earthly lives falls away, and our true inner motivations take hold.  We are, in my opinion, still as human as we ever were or will be, just without false pretense or lies. 

Unless you define the human condition as being a person with an outer exterior way of acting and an inner way of acting which may be quite different.

Matthew

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #41 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 9:35am

I should also add that no one ever said as we move on in heaven, so to speak that there is ever a phase where we can't communicate with a person on earth.  It may be more difficult, however to have conversations.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.