Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Second Stage of Death; the REAL Afterlife? (Read 12737 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Second Stage of Death; the REAL Afterlife?
Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:07pm

In his amazing tome from several hundred years ago, Emanuel Swedenborg describes two to three stages after death.  The initial or first stage consists of a person very much like they were when in the physical world, where a person still remembers the physical world and being in the physical plane.  We still have an outer nature (which is the mask of civility or "superego" - sort of a combination of upbringing, human law and an internal parent type of nature) and an inner nature - which is our "true character."  Our inner nature is our true loves and focus on things that really matter.  The inner nature may be self centered or centered or centered on others.  Ultimately our nature is either loving (as defined as one who love God and other people), or unloving to some degree.  Our true post-mortem fate is ultimately and willingly decided by this inner nature. 

On earth, someone may have a sadistic inner nature, however, they "learn" while alive, to restrain it.  To heed the rules and laws of society and repress it.  Yet, their inner nature comes through in interaction with others, and their cruelty comes out as it is allowed. 

So initially when dead we have these two sides to our mind.  That is why, many seem to function in Focus 27 and other temporary way stations like "the Park" much as they did in their earthly life.

However, this stage lasts anywhere from weeks  to one year at most (according to Swedenborg, and other sources).  Gradually, the lack of earthly things or correspondences, makes our consciousness change when there is no spiritual equivalent for an object or idea.  As we change, most of us lose the exterior or outer part of our thought process, which included the civil mask we wear, or the superego we were taught by our parents and teachers. 

Our inner nature then shines through.  If a person's tendency is toward hatred or violence, gradually but inexorably, they care less about pretending to be civil.  In the afterlife planes, since communication is telepathic, one can not put up a false mask (which is part of the outer or exterior nature).  If one's nature is loving, this then shines through.  It is at this stage that a spirit chooses it path - willingly.  Some on this board wonder when it is said that no force condemns us to a Hell but tht we choose it willingly why anyone in their right mind would do that.  This is why; because if our inner nature has no restraint, and we prefer to act to make pain or harm others, then we seek out a plane where others like us are doing the same thing. 

Swedenborg mentions a third stage of death, reserved only for those who are receptive to it (in a heavenly plane).  That is, instruction.  If our nature is based on love, we then join others in a place of similar spirits, and receive instruction. 

There are many implications to these stages, if they are true.  The first that comes to mind, is when we contact people in the afterlife, in what stage are they in?  Many contacts sound as if they are in the first stage of death, where earthly memories are fresh and the spirit is still familiar with earthly things and attitudes.  If we think about it, however, if most contacts are with those in the first stage of death, then Focus 27 and other similar realms are but a brief way station - and likely not a place we "hang out" in for very long.  Think about it.

Another major issue that comes up is the notion that if only our inner nature persists after death, then how do we cultivate it toward spiritual growth?  While alive, many religions and societies come out with thier codes of conduct to help just this way.  The ten commandments.  The path eight fold path noted in buddhism.  Following the rules.  The thing is, right action that masks a nature in conflict with it appears meaningless - this outer nature is doomed to fade away after the first stage of death. 

In my next post, I will post Swedenborg's own passages about these stages after death. 

Is all the afterlife exploration centered in the first stage of death?  If so, does that mean that contact with those in the second and third stages is more difficult?

Matthew

IP Logged

Claudio Pisani

Lauria, Italy
Re: Second Stage of Death; the REAL Afterlife?
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 2:56am

Matthew, I think you're right: the more a spirit lives in higher Focuses, the more contacts are hard to make. It's a question of energies: we need more energy to "uplift", they (in the Spirit World) need more efforts to lower their vibrations to reach a "point of balance" where we can communicate with easy.
My 2€-cent worth thought.  Wink

Love,Light & Serenity!&&Claudio
IP Logged

b2
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 9:15am

This makes sense to me. I can find nothing to argue with here.

Regarding the moral rules which religious traditions emphasize, to me they seem meaningless without an understanding of human relationships and how they work in this world. Basically, it seems to me that a person must be able to value life at their core to be able to practice 'love' with authenticity. This, to me, indicates that the person must learn how to value themselves as a human being  first, and then others. How does a person know how to treat another person well unless he or she can understand their own intrinsic value? Not that I think that 'pretending' is wrong -- I think it's valuable to help others whether you feel great about yourself or not. To me, it seems that life requires a huge amount of courage for a human being, a huge amount of risk.

It makes sense to me that a 'benevolent' universe would allow the human mind to grow along 'with' it, would allow the human mind which has lost its bondage to the earth to expand right along with it, as we are part of it, and it is part of us.

As I was writing this, and then reading this, it occurred to me that my bias is showing. For, in a 'benevolent' universe it would be all living creatures which would be shown this amazing 'grace' which extends the core of 'what is' toward infinity.

Thinking about it this way changes my understanding of these well-known verses:

By John Newton (1725-1807)

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me -
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught -
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear -
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares -
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far -
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me -
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be -
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years -
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise -
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me -
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 10:08am

Hi Matthew-

I recently sent a question to a ES website based on Van Dusen's book The Presence of Other Worlds, as follows:

"Everything about us comes from the primary tendency of our life......If we are good we make our heaven according to it, and if we are bad we make our hell according to it.  It is our basic motivation, our personality, and our character, since it is the reality of our life.  It cannot be changed after death because it is our essential self." Italics added.
From Heavenly Doctrine S57

Elsewhere in the book it's clear that ES believes (or more accurately was informed) that this essential character is with us since birth.  Not only can't we change it after death, it sounds as if we can't change it during life.

Yes, we can make choices to do good rather than bad, but unless those choices flow from, and are consistent with, our core character, they don't really mean all that much.

I can go to church regularly, give to the poor, and generally be nice to others, but if I'm doing those things because I think I "should" or because I'm hoping to get to heaven, I may as well not do them at all.

Conversely, it is not enough to have a good essential character if I don't manifest that character in tangible ways while I'm alive. 

So my question is this: If our core character, or our essence, is fixed in stone from birth, it appears that we are pretty much stuck with it. 

That not only somewhat dooms those of us who weren't lucky enough to get a good character from birth, it also raises the question as to who gave us that character to begin with.  God?  Genetics?

However, on page 128, Van Dusen says "It is clear that by the style and quality of his life the individual sets his eternal condition."  For me, that is not clear at all unless somehow we can change our core character via the choices we make and the things we do while physically alive.

As an aside, when we think of the main reason Jesus came to earth, it was to forgive us for our sins.  BUT when we think of our sins, we think of things we did or said.  And if those things flowed from a bad essential character, forgiving them really wouldn't mean much since even after forgiveness, our core character remains!

Are there other passages from ES that clarify these things? 

So the above are my questions as posed to an ES site.  If you're interested, I'll post what response(s) I get.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 12:52pm

Perhaps there is more lattitude than what Matthew wrote.

For example, Howard Storm wasn't a positive person before his NDE, yet he was able to move on to a higher realm during his NDE. It seems to me that when he expressed the willingness to change for the better, he was cleansed of his negative tendencies. If you watch his videos on You Tube, he "doen't" seem like a self-centered man. My impression of him is quite positive.

The same can be said for Sylvia from Bruce's books. When she expressed her willigness to change for the  better by asking Jesus for help, she received help that enabled her to change for the better. PUL was applied to her so she could let go of negative tendencies of mind.

I'm involved with spirit work where I help stuck spirits get cleansed, so they can move on towards the light.

The manner in which I have been cleansed also comes to mind.

Therefore, I get the impression that once a spirit decides to change for the better, this spirit can be cleansed of negative thought patterns.

I believe it is also significant that body based drives such as the self-defense instinct are left behind when we leave our body. It is also significant that the spirit World doesn't require the competiveness that this World sometimes "apparently" requires.

IP Logged

pratekya

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 4:29pm

I have to say that the illustration of people willingly heading to their afterlife 'focus', 'level' or 'plane' through knowing themselves, being exposed and acting out true intentions in the afterlife (like attracts like) is much more logically sound than traditional Christianity, where the idea that God punishes people with eternal damnation for temporal sins doesn't seem to make God fair or just at all.  And I am a Christian.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 10:13pm

Hi Roger,

The problem with the idea that our inner nature that comes out in the second stage of death is "fixed" is that proposal sort of negates free will, and removes meaning from our spiritual journey.  I would say that the inner nature is changeable but in a more slow and subtle way.  In our outer nature on earth, people change behaviours like they change clothes.  The inner nature - the tendency of our spirit toward love or hate - can only change when we change our deepest thought and beliefs.  Yet there always is a choice from which path to take.  We can think of countless examples in earth life of people who have gone from a path of hate to one of love (Howard Storm was one example).  You could argue that those peoples' inner character was always loving and that the hateful behaviour was temporary, but then we get into convultions of logic.......

Very little is truly static in our world, so why should our inner nature's be so?  I will comb through the text - I'm curious now myself - but I think that ES' whole point about the second stage of death is that as we drop the outer nature associated with earth life, our true tendencies manifest without regret.

For me, the second and third stages of death are important in terms of communication.  If we learn through meditation, a dream or a medium, that a loved one is in "the park" and happy, it now appears that this is a common initial pit stop prior to the dropping off of our "exteriors" from earth life.  That same contented loved one could find themself in a Hell in due time.  Bruce and others have located people in Hells or belief systems, but it has been my impression that spontaneous contact there is not nearly as easy as when a peron has just passed on, and is in a park or Focus 27. 

For myself, I wouldn't mind hanging out for a while in a Focu 27 area, as I learned and explored.  I'm just getting a feeling that is not often a long term option.

Matthew

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 8:08am

Hi Matthew,

DocM wrote on Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:07pm:
Is all the afterlife exploration centered in the first stage of death?  If so, does that mean that contact with those in the second and third stages is more difficult?

Matthew

This Swedenborg guy seems to have been quite an explorer.  My first entry into afterlife exploration was, I would say, primarily in the first stage that you describe by virtue of the fact that I was using retrieval as the method of exploration.  Those retrieved seem to be most often inhabitants of the first stage area.  Since I learned the art of retrieval at the Monroe Institute Lifeline program  my early explorations included trips to what might be Swedenborg's third stage, but these were only short visits at first.  In my opinion Monroe's Focus 27 and Swedenborg's third stage have many things in common.

The method of retrieval I was using back then was essentially one in which I (with the assistance of a Guide or Helper who was typically a resident of Focus 27) would locate, contact and communicate with a person stuck in Focus 23 (which resembles Swedenborg's first stage level).  Then I would follow along as the Guide 'took' this person to a 'better place' which was sometimes in Focus 24, 25 or 26.  These areas coincide, in my opinion, with different 'intensities' or perhaps 'subcategories' of  Swedenborg's second stage level.  OR the Guide would, most often, 'take' the retrieved person to Focus 27, again, similar to the stage three level.

Monroe's system encouraged retrievers to take whatever opportunites that came up during these retrievals to explore in more detail within the various levels that 'retrievees' were taken by the Guide.  Being such a natural born curiosity addict I took every such opportunity I became aware of.  So for me what started out as strictly retrieval work in Focus 23/Stage One became a sort of springboard to deeper exploration of the areas of Consciousness labeled 'Human Afterlife."  This progressed to exploration into other areas of Consciousness beyond human afterlife consciousness.

So, getting back to your original question . . .
I wouldn't say, from where I am sitting now, that contact with those is Swedenborg's second and third stages is 'more difficult' than those in his Stage one.  Rather, I would say it takes some practical experience and practice to make contact with those in any of his Stages.  It also typically takes some 'adjustments' to ones perceptual abilities which seem to occur naturally as one practices contact and can accept ones' own experiences as real.  These 'perceptual adjustments' that enable contact with those in Stage one also enable conact with the inhabitants of Stage two and three, in my opinion.  In fact it has been my experience that contact with those beings who inhabit areas of Consciousness other than human is also enabled by practice and learning with Stage one inhabitants.

One of the primary reasons I teach retrieval is that I know that if a person practices this simple art a strong likelihood exists that they will also begin to explore and learn about the existence of the other levels.  Then they will likely expand their explorations, if they are curiosity junkies like me, and start getting at the real issue.  That issue being, in my opinion, learn more about who and what we really are.

Bruce

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 10:13am

Bruce,
I found that to be an excellent post. Thanks for the good read.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 10:35am

Thanks Bruce, that did clarify a lot for me.  My question about Focus 27 has always been - is "the park" there, or is it in many areas as an initial pit stop after passing over?  This is why I assumed that Focus 27 might still have human beings in the first stage there......

What is truly amazing to me is that ES made his insights and explored on his own, eventhough his findings were considered to be outright heresy by the church at the time.  For instance, he found when conversing with "spirits/angels" that there was no true separate trinity, and that deceased people are taught that the trinity is in reality a unity based on love - if they don't get that, they usually go into what he saw as a belief system area. 

There is no evidence that ES had outside influences to base his writings on, though he was a very learned person born in the 1600s.  This is why his writings smack of genuine experience (along with other historical facts).  In other words - he was quite the explorer as you say.

Matthew

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 10:37am

For those interested, here is a translation of ES "First stage after death from Heaven and Hell:

"491. THE FIRST STATE OF MAN AFTER DEATH.
There are three states that man passes through after death before he enters either heaven or hell. The first state is the state of his exteriors, the second state the state of his interiors, and the third his state of preparation. These states man passes through in the world of spirits. There are some, however, that do not pass through them; but immediately after death are either taken up into heaven or cast into hell. Those that are immediately taken up into heaven are those that have been regenerated in the world and thereby prepared for heaven. Those that have been so regenerated and prepared that they need simply to cast off natural impurities with the body are at once taken up by the angels into heaven. I have seen them so taken up soon after the hour of death. On the other hand, those that have been inwardly wicked while maintaining an outward appearance of goodness, and have thus filled up the measure of their wickedness by artifices, using goodness as a means of deceiving-these are at once cast into hell. I have seen some such cast into hell immediately after death, one of the most deceitful with his head downward and feet upward, and others in other ways. There are some that immediately after death are cast into caverns and are thus separated from those that are in the world of spirits, and are taken out from these and put back again by turns. They are such as have dealt wickedly with the neighbor under civil pretences. But all these are few in comparison with those that are retained in the world of spirits, and are there prepared in accordance with Divine order for heaven or for hell.

492. In regard to the first state, which is the state of the exteriors, it is that which man comes into immediately after death. Every man, as regards his spirit, has exteriors and interiors. The exteriors of the spirit are the means by which it adapts the man's body in the world, especially the face, speech, and movements, to fellowship with others; while the interiors of the spirit are what belong to its own will and consequent thought; and these are rarely manifested in face, speech, and movement. For man is accustomed from childhood to maintain a semblance of friendship, benevolence, and sincerity, and to conceal the thoughts of his own will, thereby living from habit a moral and civil life in externals, whatever he may be internally. As a result of this habit man scarcely knows what his interiors are, and gives little thought to them.

493. The first state of man after death resembles his state in the world, for he is then likewise in externals, having a like face, like speech, and a like disposition, thus a like moral and civil life; and in consequence he is made aware that he is not still in the world only by giving attention to what he encounters, and from his having been told by the angels when he was resuscitated that he had become a spirit(n. 450). Thus is one life continued into the other, and death is merely transition.

494. The state of man's spirit that immediately follows his life in the world being such, he is then recognized by his friends and by those he had known in the world; for this is something that spirits perceive not only from one's face and speech but also from the sphere of his life when they draw near. Whenever any one in the other life thinks about another he brings his face before him in thought, and at the same time many things of his life; and when he does this the other becomes present, as if he had been sent for or called. This is so in the spiritual world because thoughts there are shared, and there is no such space there as in the natural world (see above, n. 191-199). So all, as soon as they enter the other life, are recognized by their friends, their relatives, and those in any way known to them; and they talk with one another, and afterward associate in accordance with their friendships in the world. I have often heard that those that have come from the world were rejoiced at seeing their friends again, and that their friends in turn were rejoiced that they had come. Very commonly husband and wife come together and congratulate each other, and continue together, and this for a longer or shorter time according to their delight in living together in the world. But if they had not been united by a true marriage love, which is a conjunction of minds by heavenly love, after remaining together for a while they separate. Or if their minds had been discordant and were inwardly adverse, they break forth into open enmity, and sometimes into combat; nevertheless they are not separated until they enter the second state, which will be treated of presently.

495. As the life of spirits recently from the world is not unlike their life in the natural world and as they know nothing about their state of life after death and nothing about heaven and hell except what they have learned from the sense of the letter of the Word and preaching from it, they are at first surprised to find themselves in a body and in every sense that they had in the world, and seeing like things; and they become eager to know what heaven is, what hell is, and where they are. Therefore their friends tell them about the conditions of eternal life, and take them about to various places and into various companies, and sometimes into cities, and into gardens and parks, showing them chiefly such magnificent things as delight the externals in which they are. They are then brought in turn into those notions about the state of their soul after death, and about heaven and hell, that they had entertained in the life of the body, even until they feel indignant at their total ignorance of such things, and at the ignorance of the church also. Nearly all are anxious to know whether they will get to heaven. Most of them believe that they will, because of their having lived in the world a moral and civil life, never considering that the bad and the good live a like life outwardly, alike doing good to others, attending public worship, hearing sermons, and praying; and wholly ignorant that external deeds and external acts of worship are of no avail, but only the internals from which the externals proceed. There is hardly one out of thousands who knows what internals are, and that it is in them that man must find heaven and the church. Still less is it known that outward acts are such as the intentions and thoughts are, and the love and faith in these from which they spring. And even when taught they fail to comprehend that thinking and willing are of any avail, but only speaking and acting. Such for the most part are those that go at this day from the Christian world into the other life.

496. Such, however, are explored by good spirits to discover what they are, and this in various ways; since in this the first state the evil equally with the good utter truths and do good acts, and for the reason mentioned above, that like the good they have lived morally in outward respects, since they have lived under governments, and subject to laws, and have thereby acquired a reputation for justice and honesty, and have gained favor, and thus been raised to honors, and have acquired wealth. But evil spirits are distinguished from good spirits chiefly by this, that the evil give eager attention to whatever is said about external things, and but little attention to what is said about internal things, which are the truths and goods of the church and of heaven. These they listen to, but not with attention and joy. The two classes are also distinguished by their turning repeatedly in specific directions, and following, when left to themselves, the paths that lead in those directions. From such turning to certain quarters and going in certain ways it is known by what love they are led.

497. All spirits that arrive from the world are connected with some society in heaven or some society in hell, and yet only as regards their interiors; and so long as they are in exteriors their interiors are manifested to no one, for externals cover and conceal internals, especially in the case of those who are in interior evil. But afterwards, when they come into the second state, their evils become manifest, because their interiors are then opened and their exteriors laid asleep.

498. This first state of man after death continues with some for days, with some for months, and with some for a year; but seldom with any one beyond a year; for a shorter or longer time with each one according to the agreement or disagreement of his interiors with his exteriors. For with everyone the exteriors and interior must make one and correspond. In the spiritual world no one is permitted to think and will in one way and speak and act in another. Everyone there must be an image of his own affection or his own love, and therefore such as he is inwardly such he must be outwardly; and for this reason a spirit's exteriors are first disclosed and reduced to order that they may serve the interiors as a corresponding plane."

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 11:55am

Just dropping in....

That sounds very like what the Tibetan book of the dead has to say about the Bardo states as well Doc, albeit that there is more emphasis in it on avoiding the pitfalls that lead to unfortunate rebirths.

One aspect of this view that may not be that palatable to many is the idea that the afterlife is not a heaven-like realm, it's rather a continuation of the personal/relative and in the end a part of 'samsara' or this realm of suffering.

Depending on the nature of the being there are lots of options for rebirth that lead from within it - some very pleasant but not spiritually helpful, others very negative and nasty, and indeed many levels of human existence combining various mixes.

There's potentially multiple levels of mind in play in the case of each of us - the egoistic conscious one, more integrated and seemingly more powerful levels of this fear inspired tendency (responsible from the background for creation of this entire realm), and the genuinely higher levels of mind that extend upwards to the absolute/God realm.

Depending on our level of awareness we're not necessarily conscious of any more than the personal ego perspective, but it's taught that the higher levels are accessible/present in all of us. (some teach it's Grace or the Holy Spirit that keeps us all connected with the genuinely higher realms B2) The connection becomes discernible with with willingness to listen, and with the quietening of the ego driven aspect of mind.

You can say in this sort of view that death and the afterlife transition is a sort of giant washing machine that takes us apart and spits us out in all sorts of directions.

The negative egoistic aspect draws its power from the fear this thrashing about inspires in us, if on the other hand we remain calm and trusting of higher realities through the process it may gain little traction.

From the ego perspective it resets our intellectual  clock, and sets up the possibility of our being drawn back down into unthinking dominance by our ego nature: on the other hand if we're genuinely that way inclined it presents opportunities for higher learning, spiritually advantageous re-birth and even total transcendence of our fixation with the individual relative existence.

Human existence is taught in Buddhism as being highly advantageous - the combination of abilities and a reality that is tough but not so tough as to be incapable of being used as a learning environment is reckoned to be ideal.

While you can argue forever about the details, it's interesting isn't it the way so many traditions and explorers seem to have arrived at broadly similar views.....

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 11:56am

Matthew-

Thanks for posting this.  The more I read of ES, the more I'm impressed and the more I want to learn about what his research revealed.

When I first read about ES, I was fascinated about his findings regarding the afterlife.  I still am, but I now understand that what he learned about this life is far more important.

I'll quote from your post: "Those that are immediately taken up into heaven are those that have been regenerated in the world and thereby prepared for heaven." Italics added.

In other words, we can know every last detail about the afterlife, but that's not really the point, nor should it be how we spend our time.

Instead, we need to take heed about what Swedenborg said that was far more important, namely how essential it is that we ensure that our inner life- our true character- be such that we prepare ourselves for a heavenly existence.

And since it's far easier to deal with that while physically alive than it is after we're dead, that really should be our first priority right now.

For me, ES has given me a sense of urgency about improving my own character and then putting the fruits of that character into actions that flow from it.

R

IP Logged

pratekya

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 12:12pm

It seems like most people in this thread that there is large agreement that this chain of events seems to be legitimate; however the next step is to consider again one of the things that Doc posted originally; its definitely worth thinking about for our own sake of where we personally will end up:

Quote:
Another major issue that comes up is the notion that if only our inner nature persists after death, then how do we cultivate it toward spiritual growth?  While alive, many religions and societies come out with thier codes of conduct to help just this way.  The ten commandments.  The path eight fold path noted in buddhism.  Following the rules.  The thing is, right action that masks a nature in conflict with it appears meaningless - this outer nature is doomed to fade away after the first stage of death.

So I would put this as: how can we change our motivations for doing good towards others; not just how to muster up the discipline to do good things, but how do we change our motivation to become more loving or compassionate?

P.S. - Bruce thank you for your website, your books, and your help with the posting quotes.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 12:30pm

Hi Matthew, All

Good thread you've started here.  It's been a while since I've read any of the ES material but one thing that I'm not sure if he brings out in his writings is the idea that Intent and Freewill are intrinsic to our inner being of consciousness, so I'd like to throw that into the mix.

The Intent that I'm thinking of here is fundamental and is an aspect/attribute of the essence of God Consciousness that carries the purpose to evolve in ways that are beneficial/profitable... spiritual growth in the direction of love.  This basic Intent is what moves consciousness along its evolutionary path and is like a tiny seed of God Consciousness that is carried forth in each of us regardless of where (physical or nonphysical realities) our individual consciousness exists.

This basic Intent/purpose would not interfere with free will; it opens the way for any and every potentiality to be carried forth by the use of free will choice from all the possibilities because deep inside each of us this basic Intent/intrinsic to the One Consciousness intent exists. It is this tangible connection that drives us toward spiritual growth. In our experience this intent could also be described as a deep spiritual longing or purpose to be fulfilled. How purpose is fulfilled is freewill choice, only that there is a purpose is ingrained in us so to speak. This is what leads to self-concept. The higher the quality of our consciousness, the more our self-concept becomes relational to this God Consciousness Essence or state of being. Another way to say this is to say our intent/purpose becomes aligned with universal intent/purpose through evolutionary process.

In its natural state fundamental Intent has no adversaries. By this I mean the seed of fundamental Intent/purpose that is ingrained within the core of our being is not in conflict with the Intent/purpose of God, the One Consciousness. The laws/rules of ELS and "nonphysical" realities is what opens up opportunity for conflict to arise for the purpose of the One Consciousness to gain better organization of information by an evolutionary process that seemingly is a process of struggle.  The same struggle we experience internally when we have cross-purposes.  Fundamental Intent (essence) sets the standard, which is of course, continually evolving, and the physical and nonphysical reality laws/rules provide opportunity for growth to evolve out of that struggle.

Since God Consciousness evolved into a brilliant being of “love”, it seems logical that the essence of its “reality cell” is the same or similar quality and exists in our ELS experience as an essence of love within the core of our being. Most of the time we don’t allow this inner essence to well up and flow freely because of fear and ego.

Self-concept seems to be at the heart of this experience. It is relational. We have the example deep within us regardless of our "location" in ELS or the nonphysical "stages" of death ES describes. We can sense its presence intuitively and we struggle, go through the process to allow this inner essence to help us develop and define our self-concept. As our self-concept evolves our Intent (purpose) becomes more and more aligned with Universal Intent (that of spiritual growth... Love) and all of our perceived adversaries disappear… we experience the ONE as it is.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.