Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can the soul die or cease to exist? (Read 10848 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Can the soul die or cease to exist?
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2009 at 1:46pm

With regard to the death of the soul (the topic in question), I believe that the inner perception of life that we call the "I," can not die, as it is not a separate, perishable entity, but part of the universe itself. 

It may be that the "I" within us can, in some way be absorbed into God or reality and that the individual point of perception may cease to exist, if certain conditions are met.

That conjecture aside, several spiritual adventures I've read seem to document more of a soul-hibernation, where the person, while living,  was so convinced that there was nothing after death, that he/she entered a deep slumber upon dying which went along with his/her belief system.  These cases, we have referred to in discussions as soul statues; people who appear unmoving in the astral realms, who can only be roused with great effort.  Even in these statue-like states of hibernation, the inner light of life and perception exists. 

Will Matthew (myself) exist as an immortal being with my current ego attachments, hopes, dreams, fears, etc.? - Lord, I hope not!  I look forward to evolving, and shedding the trappings of fear and issues that earth life generates.  My own opinion is that physical immortality would be an awful fate, as one would be stuck on earth, unable to evolve, with all the hindrances of the physical world to our spiritual perceptions. 

M

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2009 at 1:57pm

Matthew:

Related to what you wrote, I once wrote about a retrievel experience I had. First I experienced the perspective of a lady who had a nihilistic viewpoint. Next, I saw her, and was stunned when I did so,  because she radiated a really dark feeling.  Her nihilistic viewpoint had caused her to be separated from the light, and her emptiness felt dark.  She had to go through that cleansing process I speak of before she could move on.

To me, to deny the gift of our soul is to deny the gift of life.

Why is it preferable for there to me only one extremely large being in the end, when there could be many beings?

My experiences have told me that it is possible for many souls to reach the point where they live life in a joyous and loving way.

If the goal is to puff out of existence, then why don't we just get it over with and find a reptilian who will not only eat our flesh, but also our aggregates? Wink

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2009 at 2:01pm

Matthew,

Christianity is based on the quest to produce a new kind of unconditionally loving human being.  The New Testament values Christian doctrines insofar as they serve as catalysts to produce such people.  Of course, many Christians fall short, but churches view themselves as welcoming spiritual hospitals who accept people just as they are and then try to facilitate spiritual growth.  So of course, one can view the lowest common denominator through a jaundiced eye.  

The Catholic church recognizes God's goal of producing unconditionally loving human beings, and so, teaches that many non-Christians fit the category of "anonymous Christians." THEY would include you and others like you in that category.  The early days of the Catholic teaching, "no salvation outside the Church," are long gone.  So we need to be very careful in the way we assign religious groups to specific religion-based hollow heavens.  Swedenborg's astral travels discover Catholic bishops in hells and Catholic peasants in the higher heavens.  In the afterlife, the quality of one's inner life and core desires will be a more important factor in one's "astral level" than the dry facts of one's belief system.  

I have beaten a Catholic university in a sex discrimination lawsuit and have deposited my winnings in a nice monthly fund to gives me financial security for the rest of my life. I have been exposed to the darker side of Catholicism more than most.  Yet in my new town, I am in awe of the moral quality and unselfish altruistic industry of local Catholics.  Because of their spiritual light, they are growing in leaps and bounds.  Prior to my arrival, they enticed several people away from local Protestant churches, including my own.  More power to them!  I have a wonderful working relationship with local Catholics in giving time, energy, and a lot of money weekly to meet the desperate needs of the local poor.  We must learn to take people one at a time.

The Jesus of Howard Storm's NDE is particularly intriguing because He does not fit modern stereotypes of Jesus; yet His teachings can be independently verified by analyzing the ancient neglected Jewish background that shapes them.  Then there are all the angelic apparitions that Storm experiences after his NDE that secure his miraculous recovery and, in one case, are witnsssed by an independent observer.  If I have time, I may start a thread on Storm's book in the near future.

Don

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #18 - May 22nd, 2009 at 4:31pm

Matthew-

A well-known writer (GK Chesterton I think, not sure) said something to the effect that there is nothing more terrifying to him than to think that he might live forever.  In fact he said that those folks who desire eternal life do so out of highly self-centered motives.....they can't conceive of the earth continuing to turn without their existence somewhere.

Maybe God, in His infinite wisdom, knows that eternal life (at least in our ego-form) would be unbearable.  Out of mercy, He sees to it that we have our 1 go-round and then we either blink out or we are radically transformed.

I think Chesterton is on to something.  I imagine the great majority of people who continually obsess over the afterlife do so out of their own great fear that their unique and precious ego-centric existence might come to an end.

Maybe they should be careful about what they wish for.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #19 - May 22nd, 2009 at 5:16pm

There are a lot of well known writers who haven't had any spiritual experiences.  If they had, they wouldn't believe that is noble to want your existence to come to an end.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsover to want your existence to last for all of eternity. In fact, once you find out how absolutely wonderful and joyful existence can be, it would be absolutely insane to want your existence to come to an end. Actually, it would be impossible to want your existence to come to an end once you find out how wonderful and complete it can be.

What's next? It would be egotistical for God to want to exist for all of eternity?

The ability to think, learn, understand and comprehend, aren't the same thing as egotism.

Rog_B wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 4:31pm:
Matthew-

A well-known writer (GK Chesterton I think, not sure) said something to the effect that there is nothing more terrifying to him than to think that he might live forever.  In fact he said that those folks who desire eternal life do so out of highly self-centered motives.....they can't conceive of the earth continuing to turn without their existence somewhere.

Maybe God, in His infinite wisdom, knows that eternal life (at least in our ego-form) would be unbearable.  Out of mercy, He sees to it that we have our 1 go-round and then we either blink out or we are radically transformed.

I think Chesterton is on to something.  I imagine the great majority of people who continually obsess over the afterlife do so out of their own great fear that their unique and precious ego-centric existence might come to an end.

Maybe they should be careful about what they wish for.

R

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2009 at 5:23pm

Albert-

I don't think I was clear.  I was speaking about the continuation of our own ego-centric personality with its own set of limitations, fears, hang-ups, etc etc.  What Matthew was speaking about in his post.

However, our continuation as our true larger Self, our soul and all that it encompasses, is a different story and one that I personally hope to be the case.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2009 at 5:34pm

Roger:

I agree that self-centered existence isn't the way to go.  I don't get the impression that you see things precisely as Chesterton believes.  It is hard to say for certain since all I know about him is what you wrote.

Rog_B wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 5:23pm:
Albert-

I don't think I was clear.  I was speaking about the continuation of our own ego-centric personality with its own set of limitations, fears, hang-ups, etc etc.  What Matthew was speaking about in his post.

However, our continuation as our true larger Self, our soul and all that it encompasses, is a different story and one that I personally hope to be the case.

R

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2009 at 8:03pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Sidey

Reply #22 - May 22nd, 2009 at 7:56pm

I understand why one wouldn't want to live for all eternity. I wouldn't want to keep "learning" all the time. I would want to find happiness, which i think is different from person to person. If you found happiness, love, or whatever it is that you can't exist without then you would want to spend the eternity enjoying it.

Just my opinion  Wink

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #23 - May 22nd, 2009 at 8:55pm

Sidey wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 7:56pm:
I understand why one wouldn't want to live for all eternity. I wouldn't want to keep "learning" all the time. I would want to find happiness, which i think is different from person to person. If you found happiness, love, or whatever it is that you can't exist without then you would want to spend the eternity enjoying it.

Just my opinion  Wink

What is eternity?  Is it infinity?  I do not think so...
I don't look at living for a long time as work.
Life is meant to be enjoyed most of all.
Also we always need change and I am sure we have all changed a lot since our beginnings...

I believe it is HOW we live within ALL of our lives...3D or other wise is interesting and fun.
Sure there is some 'work' to it but, life would be boring if all we did was goof off all the time.
We need challenges and I believe that is what reincarnating is all about.
Challenge! That is where the 'learning' is at.  Not Drill & Kill type learning...
Experiences...now that is the fun kind of learning and living.
Call it 'On the Job Training....'  Cool

We live in a Free Will/ Freedom of Choice Existence.
We made the CHOICE to be in the here and now.
So we all must know something more then what we chose to forget while we are HERE...now...  Wink
(Especially NOW....in this time frame on Earth I believe we all made the choice to be here for something wonderful)

Then we we move on from this 3D life we then have the RUSH of meeting ALL of our families and friends once again...
We play, relax, share our lives with one another again...

THEN....After X amount of 'Time' which can be eons to what we call time on Earth...

Rinse and Repeat!  Grin

Some of us dwell that this is all as so much work or it is too painful and not worth it.
Or say, "I don't want to come back here again..."
Well, let's answer that after we are done here on this go around...We just might have a whole different perspective about it ALL.

IP Logged

Sidey

Reply #24 - May 23rd, 2009 at 3:00am

Old Dood wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 8:55pm:
Sidey wrote on May 22nd, 2009 at 7:56pm:

Just my opinion  Wink

What is eternity?  Is it infinity?  I do not think so...
I don't look at living for a long time as work.
Life is meant to be enjoyed most of all.
Also we always need change and I am sure we have all changed a lot since our beginnings...

I believe it is HOW we live within ALL of our lives...3D or other wise is interesting and fun.
Sure there is some 'work' to it but, life would be boring if all we did was goof off all the time.
We need challenges and I believe that is what reincarnating is all about.
Challenge! That is where the 'learning' is at.  Not Drill & Kill type learning...
Experiences...now that is the fun kind of learning and living.
Call it 'On the Job Training....'  Cool

We live in a Free Will/ Freedom of Choice Existence.
We made the CHOICE to be in the here and now.
So we all must know something more then what we chose to forget while we are HERE...now...  Wink
(Especially NOW....in this time frame on Earth I believe we all made the choice to be here for something wonderful)

Then we we move on from this 3D life we then have the RUSH of meeting ALL of our families and friends once again...
We play, relax, share our lives with one another again...

THEN....After X amount of 'Time' which can be eons to what we call time on Earth...

Rinse and Repeat!  Grin

Some of us dwell that this is all as so much work or it is too painful and not worth it.
Or say, "I don't want to come back here again..."
Well, let's answer that after we are done here on this go around...We just might have a whole different perspective about it ALL.

I'll probably laugh when i realize why i choose this life. Or on the other hand i could be like: "Oh, now it makes sense" but I will chuckle.  Grin

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #25 - May 24th, 2009 at 5:28am

Here is Robert Bruce's answer to this question.

Quote:
Hi Robert,

According to a channeled information I heard, the spirit/soul will exist eternally as long as it wants to exist. Would you believe it's true? Have you witnessed someone going into non-existence?

This statement is both true and untrue.

You, as a spirit, have a very narrow view of your true spiritual nature.

Maybe 1%

So, how can 1% decide the fate of the other 99%

This is truth.

Many may disagree, but this is as close as fact as you'll get to any kind of answer to this question.

Robert.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #26 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:45am

Robert's response skirt's the question and the issue.  It also takes a point of view I detest, namely we, while incarnate are somehow less than our full selves and unable (or implied unworthy) to pursue our spiritual destiny. - "So, how can 1% decide the fate of the other 99%?"

Your question (whether he has witnessed souls going out of existence) remained unanswered.

I do agree that our consciousness has more direct ties to the collective unconconsious than we are aware of while incarnate.  At the same time, I know of many accounts from NDEs and astral communications which suggest that in the focus levels after death we aren't fundamentally different than we were while incarnate.  So, I very much doubt that our main mind/essence changes after death.  Rather, thought creates reality more easily in the realm of thought. 

In the end, we all have a kernel of unique perception that is a small part of God and a larger consciousness.  We know there are reports that the little individual perception (each of us) may go into a hibernation for indefinite periods of time - called by some on this board "soul statues."  Most reports indicated that these statues arise from belief systems where the person believes that death is nonexistence, or a permanent "rest."  Bruce Moen describes an encounter with a woman in this slumber in one of his travels.  this is not the same thing as ceasing to exist.

M

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #27 - May 24th, 2009 at 2:42pm

I totally understand and agree with Robert's answer.  He did not say that we are unable or unworthy of pursuing our spiritual destiny.  However, the fact of the matter is that our physically conscious minds are just a minute aspect of our larger consciousness.  I know this from experience.  I wouldn't say our mind/essence changes after death.. I would say that it is opened to its true, greater reality, without the limitations of the physical world in its way.  True, we carry with us our beliefs acquired from the physical life just lived, but as these shed, we begin to realize,understand,learn more and more about our true selves and our true spiritual nature.  I have read of NDEs where the person dies and immediately connects with the universal consciousness which we are a part of, and instantly remembers everything about their greater reality and higher self.  I would say that this answer really cannot be truly known until we experience the answer directly.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #28 - May 24th, 2009 at 6:22pm

I agree that Robert is correct. The problem that makes understanding this difficult is that we believe we are separate from our total being. We are not. We are and always have been our total being. The individual consciousness that we perceive as "me" is only a tiny little stream (1%) of what we are as a total being (the other 99%.) The whole purpose of "me" the 1% is to improve the quality of consciousness of the total self, to grow spiritually. That is our entire reason for existing, to evolve the consciousness of the whole soul being and thereby the entire (God) consciousness system. You could say the miniscule individualized unit of consciousness (me, the 1%) is a tool (worker bee) of the total being consciousness.

What we are evolving is the core essence of our being. The physical system evolves by doing. Consciousness evolves by intent. When our intent is motivated by love we improve the quality of the core being of the total self. When our intent is motivated by fear we cause harm to the core being of the total self.

If personality, Kathy is not useful to the positive, love based evolution of the Total Being... she could be deleted from the system though her intents would most likely remain a part of the database records. The fate of personality Kathy is in the hands of both her, the 1% together with the 99%. We are in this as the total being, not the individual 1%.

Now having said that, I should make it clear that we have lots and lots of "time" to evolve and grow our individual consciousness, improve our core essence, and as long as we are doing just that... growing spiritually, we are useful to the entire consciousness system and it is doubtful that Total Being would hit the delete button.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #29 - May 24th, 2009 at 9:29pm

Try to imagine not existing.  It is impossible.  The intuitional state of knowing and the strong connection with my higher self which are opened during projections into higher levels have given me the knowledge that I will never cease to exist and that I am infintely and eternally unconditionally loved.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.