Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Lighted Passage" (Read 9289 times)
Rondele
Ex Member

Re: "Lighted Passage"
Reply #15 - May 8th, 2009 at 4:05pm

I've done some research on this and can't find anything that gives a history of retrievals.

Only thing I can find roughly similar is the Catholic tradition of praying for souls in purgatory, or soul retrievals which involves retrieving a lost part of oneself.

But when it comes to a human guiding a deceased soul to a helper, can't find much of anything.

I'm not saying this practice just started in the 20th century, but Rev Vincent's book written in the 1940s is the earliest reference I could find.  Of course, I imagine someone must have clued Vincent into this, I doubt he stumbled on it all by himself.

Bruce or Don.....anyone have some history on this??

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2009 at 6:21pm

Roger,

Don 't forget that Swedenborg performed a few retrievals of "devils" (= evil discarnate humans), though he devotes little space to this in his writings.  And Bets' claim that the Bible makes no mention of retrievals is mistaken.  In 1 Peter 3:19-20 and 4:6, Peter celebrates preaching the Gospel to deceased "spirits in prison" (= Hell).  Presumably this proclamation  allows a chance to respond and hence be saved or retrieved.  And Paul grounds some of his theology on the Christian practice of proxy baptism for the unredeemed dead (1 Corinthians 15:28-29).  This practice is partly based on the new Jewish practice of praying for the sinful dead (2 Maccabees 12:41-46) and amounts to retrievals.  In the generation after the Book of Revelation, the possibility of retrievals from Hell through the efforts of discarnate Christians saints is stressed in two early Christian works--the Apocalypse of Peter 14 and Christian Sibylline Oracles II.  WRITTEN evidence for soul retrievals cannot be traced back earlier than New Testament Christianity!  

Don
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2009 at 11:06pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #17 - May 8th, 2009 at 10:01pm

Ohh--

They sure didn't teach us that in Sunday School! I'm glad to hear I was wrong on that.

I assume that before Christ, humans were not considered developed enough to deal with Spiritual Love being more appropriate than war, etc?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2009 at 8:14am

Don-

Let me try this angle- Vincent was a Presbyterian minister as you know.

Was the practice of retrievals (he called them "rescues") of the newly dead something that was done in that denomination or other denominations of the Church during the 20th Century?

In other words, would the clergy of his day have been familiar with what he was doing? 

Or would the clergy of today know about it? 

Is it taught or mentioned in the seminaries?

Or do you think Vincent, in this respect, a "rogue" minister?

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2009 at 3:51pm

Roger: "Or do you think Vincent, in this respect, a "rogue" minister?"
Yes, it is obvious why Vincent's book is generally unknown and why it quickly went out of print.  It is too occult for orthodox believers of the major Christian denominations and too Christian for occultists in the 1940s.  Early Christian retrievals are overlooked in our seminaries and the whole subjest of contact with the dead is generally viewed with suspicion in modern churches as a variation of channeling.      

I often allude to NDEs and ADCs in sermons, funerals, and memorial services.  Doing so was not initially safe for me.  First, I had to gain the trust of my congregations for my teaching and preaching on more conventional spiritual issues.  Now I find widespread appreciation for my blending of insights from such paranormal experiences with biblical teaching and effective prayer.  My 3-hour discussion of angelic visitations with a group of unchurched ladies was well appeciated.  I long for the time when New Age trail-blazers break free from their doctrinaire myopic perspectives and launch a truly multi-disciplinary approach to the afterlife that is self-critical, testable, and falsifiable. 

Right now, modern cynicism about the teachings of channeling, astral explorers, and uncritical "devotees of UFO abductions" is sadly warranted.  I pray this will change but doubt that a truly honest and open multi-disciplinary approach will be widely developed in my lifetime.  Every generation is appalled by the limited overviews of earlier generations.   

Don

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2009 at 4:37pm

So I'll ask you to venture a guess on this one-

Suppose we could go back in time and meet with Rev Vincent, and we were to ask him how he learned or heard about retrievals.

What do you think he would say?

Remember, we're talking about retrievals in the sense he did them- leading the newly dead to the light or to helpers.

He knew about the important role humans play in the retrieval process.  About how our vibrations were more in tune with the newly dead, thus enabling us to get their attention.

I am intrigued at how he first learned of this stuff.

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2009 at 4:55pm

Roger,

Yesterday I loaned my copy of "Lighted Passage" to Ina, our church organist--a mother whose daughter, Kathy, who died from complications from a bullet which came out sideways from her Dad's gun at a shooting range and lodged in her spine in the neck area.  The profoundly beautiful poetry an 11-year-old Kathy wrote her mother will be on display on a music stand in front of our altar in tomorrow's Mother's Day service.  I will be commenting on the meaning of this poetry before our church sings, "Precious Memories."  

As I recall, Howell Vincent identifies his British mentors at the beginning of his book.  When Ina returns the book, I will google the names and try to answer your question that way.

Don  

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 9th, 2009 at 5:07pm

You're referencing Olive C.B. Pixley from England (altho I don't know if she's tied in to retrievals).  

It was more about her "technique of light" but who knows.

Btw I do a lot of recreational shooting as does my wife.  Pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Have done so for many years.  I've never heard of a bullet coming out of a gun sideways.

Only thing I can think of is if the barrel blew up (which is extremely rare) a fragment could have flew off in her direction.

In any case I hope you are able to post some of the poetry.  I'd love to read it.

R

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #23 - May 9th, 2009 at 5:23pm

ps-

I think I'm getting some clues on this!

After googling Olive C.B. Pixley, I find the phrase "rescue circles"!  Remember, Vincent refers to retrievals as rescues.

Then after googling spirit rescue circles, I find someone who apparently does them in your state!

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Do-Spirit-Rescue-Work/293919

Maybe this is a clue. 

I'll keep checking.

I have always wondered why this little book came my way......

R

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2009 at 9:35am

Don-

Gets better and better!  Getting closer to the history of retrievals.  Below is from

http://www.spiritwritings.com/fodorr.html

RESCUE CIRCLES of spiritualists, formed for the purpose of "waking up" the dead and freeing them from their earthbound state, are based on the idea that earthbound spirits are too gross to be reached by the influence of higher spirits from the other side. They stand closer to the material plane than to the spiritual. In many cases they do not realize that they are dead at all and live in a state of bewilderment. If they are enlightened on their true condition and prayers are offered for them they will progress to a higher existence.

The beginning of rescue circles may be traced to the Shaker communities of America. The appearance of a tribe of Indian controls aroused the impression that the Shakers were to teach and proselytize them. The first such circles were held by the wife of Col. Danskin of Baltimore and other ladies. The best work was performed by a circle in Buffalo between 1875 and 1900 and by Dr. Carl Wickland and his wife. The medium in the first case was Marcia M. Swain and Leander Fischer, a professor of music in Buffalo. The circle consisted of Daniel E. Bailey and his wife, the mother of the professor and Mrs. Aline M. Eggleston, the stenographer. The identity of the spirit brought to be "waked up" was often verified but as the search after such proofs entailed considerable labor and time it was, after a while, given up. The work of the circle is described in D. E. Bailey's Thoughts from the Inner Life, Boston, 1886. Twelve gripping records of these rescue seances were published in Admiral Moore's Glimpses of the Next State.

Similar mission work was carried on by E. C. Randall, also in Buffalo. The medium was Mrs. Emilie S. French. Randall's Frontiers of the After Life, New York, 1922, describes the results. Dr. Wickland's book, Thirty Years Among the Dead, Los Angeles, 1924, contains hundreds of interesting records. Later he also produced Gateway of Understanding. The work of the Tozer rescue circle in Melbourne is described in Conan Doyle's Wanderings of a Spiritualist. In California Charlotte Dresser's circle encountered similar earthbound spirits described in Spirit World and Spirit Life and Life Here and Hereafter. More recent works include Valley of the Shadow, 1994, by Peter F. Baker and Sixty Years a Spiritualist, 1995, by Alan House.

R

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #25 - May 10th, 2009 at 8:53pm

Thank you, Rondele !

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.