Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using my sleep method to induce altered states? (Read 3526 times)
sulla

Indianapolis, IN
Using my sleep method to induce altered states?
Dec 15th, 2008 at 4:14pm

Here's how I put myself to sleep.  I learned to do this way back when I was little and wanted to go to sleep on Christmas Eve.  I relaxed in a position that I knew I could sleep in, closed my eyes, and watched the back of my eyelids without trying to think about anything particular.  Eventually I would start to daydream, then I would allow it to fade into a deep dream and that was it.  I would surrender and be asleep.  These days I use the same method to fall asleep almost every night.  I have been ignoring it as a method for inducing altered state of consciousness, until just recently.  I thought, maybe I could use this method to induce things other than sleep.  So I set about doing it. 

I started with just paying attention to what I was doing exactly.  After establishing the above related method, I decided to try to become more aware of what I was 'sensing' as I went into the sleep state; or at least try.  So I go through the motions one night after getting this far and right as I start to daydream I realize what’s happening and snap out of it, but not before getting 'the feel' of it.  After a few more nights of this, (two or three times a night) I feel comfortable with it and can slide to the next, 'deeper,' phase of the process.  Here I found something exciting and potentially mind blowing to me. 

I got past day dreaming to where I saw something I assume my mind has randomly made up.  I also identify this with the hypnogogic stage of a natural sleep cycle.  In other words, I waited to see/experience something that I did not consciously invent.  As soon as this happened I was suddenly forced to focus on it HARD.  My attention hit it and it obliterated everything else.  Like looking at a 2D image that suddenly jumps into 4D.  I felt the slipping feeling of falling unconscious, but my intention was to stay aware throughout.  So I tried not to give in. 

But I couldn't stay with it.  Instead of falling asleep or being completely drawn in by the 4D image my focus radiated out like a pinpoint light opening up to a much larger diameter spotlight.  As this happened I felt a slamming vibration throughout my physical body and my physical sensation quickly faded and I felt motion.  I felt my awareness moving both forward and down (subjective to my perspective when lying down.)

Too excited, I 'woke up' and it was all gone.  What is awesome about this is the vibration feeling I got.  It’s the same as when I would spontaneously have an OBE before.  I think this is how I was doing it by accident, only now I am paying attention to how it’s happening!

What was really amazing was Bruce Moen’s technique of using your imagination.  I basically used my imagination to start randomly daydreaming.  I think I might want to shift gears and imagine some thing/place specifically and see what happens.

What do you think about all this?

IP Logged

PhantasyMan

Québec
Re: Using my sleep method to induce altered states?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Hi Sulla,

That's amazing.  Just don't give up, do it again and again. 

At the beginning it look like everything is random and You may feel lost.  But after you do it some time, you'll be able to understand where you end up and you'll be able to understand what is real, and what is not. Pay attention to the feeling. 

When you'll have a better knowing of where you end up, just use your intention to travel.  Expect nothing. 

pman

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 5:17pm

I find it interesting that various people say looking at the back of their eyelids. When I see with my eyes closed, I figure the back of my eyelids don't have anything to do with it. I wonder if it can be limiting to believe that what one is seeing appears on the back of one's eyelids.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2008 at 6:35pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 9:47pm

Sulla,

I feel you are definitely on to something that is worthy of further exploration.  That you noticed the conscious transition through what Monroe described as the vibration state is a really big deal in my view.  

I am fond of saying that all my early research led be to believe that if there was an afterlife it was in the same "neighborhood" that we go when we dream.  Your method appears to be assisting you to entering that neighborhood.  If I were to give a suggestion it would be to imagine that you are going to a place where you can communicate with, as Monroe would say," whose wisdom, experience and understanding is greater than or equal to my own."  If you desire to explore what is real and what is not, you might ask anyone you meet There to "show me, tell me or give me something that IS proof that this experience is real."  Document whatever you receive, if you are interested in verification of your experience, beginning to remove doubt and expanding your perceptual abilities.

Thanks for posting about your experience.  I am certain that some who come to this forum and read yous posts will benefit greatly from what you have and will share.

Bruce

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 9:58pm

Hi Sulla,

That IS amazing.  What you describe sounds very familiar with my own techniques that have induced OBEs, lucid dreams, and clairvoyant visions.  I too suggest you get excited about something you are interested in trying and then set your intent for that while you are working your technique.  It's neat that you already know your technique well enough that you are now able to pay attention to the process and think consciously during it.  I'm sure you'll be having more experiences with it once you set an intention for something and then it begin to happen.  Remember to write down any and all thoughts and experiences so that you can see your progress.

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

sulla

Indianapolis, IN
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 11:09am

Quote:
I am fond of saying that all my early research led [me] to believe that if there was an afterlife it was in the same "neighborhood" that we go when we dream.  Your method appears to be assisting you to entering that neighborhood.  If I were to give a suggestion it would be to imagine that you are going to a place where you can communicate with, as Monroe would say," whose wisdom, experience and understanding is greater than or equal to my own."  If you desire to explore what is real and what is not, you might ask anyone you meet There to "show me, tell me or give me something that IS proof that this experience is real."  Document whatever you receive, if you are interested in verification of your experience, beginning to remove doubt and expanding your perceptual abilities.

I very much want to communicate with just such a… person.  I have not yet, but it is certainly a part of my intentions.  Should I perhaps start by envisioning a place like the Park, or just any place that comes to mind?  Or maybe just state my intention and see what happens?  That seems more on par with what I feel like trying.

And as far as documenting, I do keep an e-journal on my laptop, backed up on an external hard drive.  And though I have little to show so far, I do keep an updated blog on the hemi-sync part of my explorations here
http://arightmind-journey.blogspot.com/  There are even some brief audio recordings I made recounting a couple of experiences with altered states of consciousness in the blog.

Quote:
Thanks for posting about your experience.  I am certain that some who come to this forum and read you[r] posts will benefit greatly from what you have and will share.

Oh, thank you for providing such a venue.  I am glad to find a community I can hopefully feel at home in and be able to further contribute to.  I don’t have too many folks to discuss ‘this stuff’ with.  My wife is supportive, but does not fully understand.

Quote:
It's neat that you already know your technique well enough that you are now able to pay attention to the process and think consciously during it.  I'm sure you'll be having more experiences with it once you set an intention for something and then it begin to happen.  Remember to write down any and all thoughts and experiences so that you can see your progress.

Thanks.  It did take me all my life to figure out that this technique was ‘usable’ in more capacities than just a sleep aid.  Smiley Thank goodness I finally did though!  But it’s such a recent realization that I’ve only had a couple of opportunities to try out using this technique past the daydream stage.  As soon as I figured it out, my wife had our first baby in September.  Obviously I needed rest more than consciousness exploration right after that blessed event.  Then I got a sinus infection, gave it to my wife and child, then I just got another one!  And I just got a pinched nerve in my back for which I was prescribed some muscle relaxants.  These pills have the annoying side effect of putting me to sleep whether I want to or not!  *sigh*

Only two more days of meds left…

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 1:38pm

Sulla,

Don't be pessimistic now...   Wink

Those obsticals can work in your favor and just make you that much more anxious and willing to accomplish what you set your mind to!  Sometimes the anticipation gets built up so much that finally when the timing is right, you get an amazing experience you weren't expecting!  That's why they seem to happen when we aren't really trying or aren't expecting it.  I think experience takes whatever opportunity it can to find a way into our lives. 

I found a good quote that I keep thinking about..."Luck is just preparedness meeting opportunity". 

Vicky

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:07pm

I know that vibration but I've only experienced it once when I was about 20 and still in college at IU in bloomington, IN. I had tried all night for something and then just as I was falling off into sleep the vibration came and kind of woke me up. I sprang out of bed scared half to death..I thought I was dying. The vibration persisted for about 5 minutes...5 very long minutes and then subsided as I splashed some water in my face after struggling to get to the sink. I wish I had stayed with it back then because it has never happened to me since then. Although I did have an OBE of sorts about 10 years ago while getting a massage, but I didn't realize it was happening until I returned when it was time to flip over..lol. I am at a much better place with my fear, I just hope I can stay vigilant about practicing. I ordered Bruce's CDs yesterday and I hope to make some serious headway with that. I used Robert Monroe's book to acheive the first vibrational state back in the early 80's. hmmm...maybe I should get that book out again. And one other question: How does one put there pic on here. I have a pic on several profiles  but I can't figure out how to do this one...but then I haven't read everything in the tech section yet either. Anyway, it's great to be here and I really enjoy reading all this great stuff.

Yours,
Beau

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:35pm

Ah, well, what do you know? I figured it out after looking around a little more. Thanks for the posts.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 8:48pm

Monroe's vibrational state techniques always confused me, but I have experienced what he did.  I just never cared for it much.  I used to be awakened by it too and it would scare the you know what out of me.  What always came with it was an extremely loud crashing noise that sounded so much like a real physical sound that I always jumped out of bed freaking out that something in the house had just exploded or perhaps an airplane had crashed into the roof.  This happened so many times before I realized the sounds were connected to the vibrational state and not physically real events.  I haven't had them for quite a long time.  I think that I've successfully blocked them out.  I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I do, however, wish I could have that state and get past it without the noise and the freaking out part.

That just reminded me that another "side effect" of the vibrational state for me was believing I was wide awake and that my pillow was violently shaking.  I still hadn't connected this feeling to the OBE vibrations and so I fully believed that my pillow was actually shaking.  I knew that didn't make sense and thought maybe I was having some kind of seizure.  What I'd end up doing was throwing my pillow across the room and found that gee, it stopped.  (Well of course it did, by then I was actually physically awake).  Some mornings I would wake up and find my pillow across the room, with no memory of the event, but I knew right away it must have been another one of those nights.

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 9:16pm

Hi Vicky, I have several friends who report that vibrational state being something they have never been able to control. As if they opened the door and now it just won't close again. They are very nervous people to begin with so it must be incredibly exhausting for them. I think if I could get past that initial fear I could really make some progress, but it's like my body really wants me to believe I'm dying and it really weirds me out. I've read about some other techniques that don't rely on the vibrational state, but OBEs aren't so important to me these days as they were in my youth, but the retrievals and exploration sounds like something I could handle if I can reach that state on a regular basis. I'll keep working at it. I have a dog and it's hard to predict when the quiet time is going to be. Thanks for your posts.

Beau

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Hi Beau,

I just wanted to say that you don't have to have total quiet while doing retrieval, although I guess it IS nice to not have any possible distractions. 

But I remember doing my first retrieval because I felt the strong urge to do it, something telling me to do it right then and there.  My kids were sitting in the next room watching TV and laughing and I thought that that would certainly be a distraction but it wasn't at all!  And within a few minutes something pulled me completely into the area of consciousness of the retrieval and I was completely unable to hear my kids anymore.  My total awareness was now in this other place. 

So, it can be done!  I love how Bruce wrote about doing them while eating or driving.

PS--I used to have an English Pointer who would always whine and come place his paw on my arm whenever I began to go out of body while sitting in my computer chair.  However, if I was only sitting there relaxing but not trying to go OBE, he wouldn't bother me.  Apparently that sixth sense that animals have was telling him something was "not right".

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.