Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Karma-law and mistakes through learning (Read 3220 times)
Member unknown

Gone for an undetermined
time

Karma-law and mistakes through learning
Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:14am

One of the things upsetting me, is that Karma law.
To some extent, I wonder if it is fair.

Let me explain:

We are told, that we are here to learn.
That equals, admitting we don't know everything.

When you have to learn, or are ignorant, you make mistakes. That is inevitable.

Then you are told, that, due to these mistakes, you will have to bear "Karma" and correct this.

But it is inevitable you make mistakes, so it is inevitable you bear Karma.

What does this Karma implies?
Possible answers:
- You will have to come back to life eg. if you committed a murder, you will be murdered. If you stole, you will be stolen from. Meaning you will undergo, what you made others undergo.
- OR You will end up in the heaven/hell where you belong, according to the total state of mind you have.
- etc...(I don't know what else could happen)

At what moment in this entire cycle is there somebody to teach you how to break this circle. I think there is no teacher, until you look for one yourself.

So if during 200 000 years you are stuck and unaware that you are here to learn, you keep circling around like a dog trying to bite its own tail.

I don't like this vision, because it implies that people undergo things without knowing why, causing suffering.

Sonia

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. &&Maori Proverb&&&& &&

IP Logged

tgecks

Dahlonega, Georgia
Re: Karma-law and mistakes through learning
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:39am

Dear Sonia- please consider A Course in Miracles. There are a few books about it (rather than the Course itself) which are a good jumpstart, like "A Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson and "Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renaud (though I have some issue with this one). Also, "Conversations with God, Book One" changed my life.

You seem to post a lot about how unhappy you are about the way it is, or at least how it seem to you. Do you see that his is a choice? We used to think the world was flat, but it is not. If you want new thought, you must create it, and there are good ways to get started on the path. But it takes some effort, and there is no shortcut. Like the expression says, "Chop wood and carry water."

Think of it this way: now at least you know what it is NOT. Life is a process of experiencing it all so that we can choose best....

I too was very depressed and angry for many years because somehow I got the idea I could and should expect more, better, greater--- and my life was not at all like that. What changed was me. I try never to "should" on myself any more as I find it is someone else's idea, not mine.

It is how it is because of choices we have made, or failed to make. I am only suggesting we can make better choices.

Love and Light,

Thomas

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 11:35am

I think those are some good points, Sonia. Most people have moments such as this when life as a human being seems extremely unfair, and often pointless.

I was just flipping through some channels on tv and found a movie on with Robin Williams in it. There was an impassioned woman explaining to him (I think he was some kind of 'perfect' robot who looked human) why it is important to do things 'wrong' sometimes, why it is important for us to make 'mistakes' and even deliberately do what we 'know' is wrong at times.

The way she said it was that by making these 'mistakes' we learn what is real. We learn what is important to us. We learn what makes us authentic, what makes us real.

If we did not have a choice, among our actions, our thoughts, our teachers, we would not really be free. We would be more like robots who just knew all the answers and did what we were told.

I heard a member here on this forum state emphatically that we should be proud of our mistakes. I can honestly see how that can be true, as long as we learn from them and share with others what we have learned.

Occasionally, I have enjoyed sleeping outdoors in nature in a tent, and I would set out to hike on a warm day. Sometimes I prepared adequately, sometimes not. It's important to take what you need, and to stay on the trail.  Some hikes were splendidly challenging and rewarding. On one particular hike I nearly didn't come back. I had overestimated my abilities.

It was a very good thing that I had a friend with me.

So, we just take care of each other. When we get into trouble, we take care of each other. I see this as how the big 'plan in the sky' is supposed to work.

We put aside our feelings about right and wrong, and who did what, and we take care of each other. We help each other to get home, so we can talk about it later beside our home fire, the place of warmth to which we return.

love, blink

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Here's a take on Karma Sonia which I think ties in with both ACIM and the Buddhist view. (pardon the length again, I find it hard to be conscise on this stuff) Not everybody will agree with this, as not all here are comfortable with the ACIM/Buddhist view.

Karma in Buddhism at the level of teaching we normally experience (aimed at people at a relatively early stage on the path) is described as pure cause and consequence. That is it's got nothing to do with punishment, fairness or anything like that, just that we no more no less experience the consequence of egotistical/unwise behaviours as the outcome of  the application of an apparently definable set of laws to our lives.

It may seem unfair, but perhaps only because the logic and view we use in assessing this is essentially selective perception, and not based on a true seeing of the whole reality.

It's rather like fate - starting from a given point a given set of actions in this world inevitably brings us to a clearly predictable outcome.

Its taught that there is only one possible escape, and that's by transcending this reality via realisation or enlightenment. That (in Buddhist terms, and for a variety of reasons) amounts to no longer having any investment in outcomes in this reality (equanimity), and our gaining the wisdom to not act in a manner detrimental to ourselves and others. (living through wisdom and compassion - love)

ACIM says much the same, but uses the term 'forgiveness' - of this reality, ourselves and all its contents and happenings - to describe the means by which we gain the equanimity needed to transcend it and return to God/Spirit. (it's a truly inspired use of language, one that points so clearly to the required behaviour I think)

Fully realised behaviour (or behaviour fully aligned with the view of Spirit, or not driven by the relativistic and egotistical view of this world) does not generate karma - but the mechanism is subtle.

Consider the following. Ego is that part of universal mind separated from God, and this relative reality in its entirety is as above the creation of ego mind. We each experience a small part of it that we perceive as being individual to us, although at higher collective levels it's common to beings in this reality. (there is in effect only one ego, or one Son of God) This in turn was made possible by God's allowing us the free will to experiment with separation.

It's consequently we ourselves (at a higher level of mind than we are normally conscious of) and not God that create the rules and mechanism by which karma seems to bear on us.

The (egotistical) behaviours we indulge in in this reality are ultimately driven by our collective guilt at our separation from God. We made this entire reality as a bolt hole to escape from God, to place him 'outside'.

We think that by blaming and acting aggressively towards others and the world we live in we're furthering our self interest, but since these targets (despite their appearing external) are in fact the creation of ego or our own higher mind which has projected those aspects of itself it dislikes outwards, we're in effect attacking ourselves. Not to mention  driving ourselves ever deeper into samsara (Buddhist word - this reality which leads only to suffering) which of course is what the ego wants.

Most of us of course don't see this, and continue to act as self interested individuals.

We progress along the spiritual path by progressively dropping false beliefs as to the nature of reality, and learning (with the help of Spirit) to live instead with God/in accordance with true reality (or love - but that too is not simple)) - as Spirit/absolute mind would have us do.

To sidestep karma we need only (ha! - not so easy) to drop our belief in it. To in ACIM terms forgive ourselves, and those realities created by our mind that seem external, and so make it possible. That is drop our belief in the apparent but ultimately misleading appearance of the reality of individual self, of our world - or awaken from the dream.

When we for example react with like or dislike to the apparently real happenings and objects in this actually unreal and impermanent world we actually reinforce our belief in its existence, and hence make the dream more real for ourselves.

Awakening probably amounts to our dropping our guilt at separation, to dropping the mistaken collective and individual belief in all of the other creations of ego  and in ego as a separate entity - at our level individual selfhood and the reality we each experience, and all the egotistical behaviours that go with selfhood - I suspect that if we get as far as seeing through karma that the whole edifice comes tumbling down.

We achieve this through self work, study, and more importantly meditation and the like to open our minds and improve our seeing. It's the resulting experience of higher realities that enables the dropping of these beliefs.

What does all this mean? It seems that if we are at a stage on the path where we can't (with the help of Spirit) yet work with the level of mind responsible for creation of this apparent reality, or experience the reality of such an approach that we'll perceive/experience karma as a natural law that functions independently of us, but to which we are subject.

If on the other hand we can reach the point where we can transcend this reality (as in experience the greater reality, see past our tendency to perceive in accordance with the dictates of ego) then karma disappears.

Either way it seems unlikely that karma is the creation of God/absolute mind....

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:53pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 5:21pm

I agree with Vajra and Thomas,

Karma is not an external force which traps us.  It is our minds which do so.  How do we free ourselves from Karma?  By expressing love as best we can.  By acknowledging mistakes and forgiving ourselves and others.  Only those who refuse to think in a loving manner or live with their actions will get caught up in the karmic wheel. 

The wonderful thing about us in a spiritual sense is that we are creative beings of free will.  We have the choice - to love or to hate.  To forgive or to fester.  To see ourselves in chains, and get stuck in a focus level, or to forgive our own imperfections and those of others, and in doing so, progress to greater choices of free will. 

Free will is the key to the bonds of Karma.  No one will impose a rebirth on you, or the guilt that your actions may bring.  It is you, the being of pure thought and spirit, who chooses to enter into that belief system of an eye  for an eye.  You, who when seeing the result of your actions in the earth plane may not think yourself worthy of the light of heaven. 

But the wonderful thing about all of this, is that you are able to change your thoughts, and therefore your options.  As above, so below.  When you couple our creative potential with intention directed toward love and the highest good, only good things will follow. 

Karma catches those who choose to be caught, until they choose another path.

M

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:10pm

I used to have the same problem with thinking about karma as an eye for an eye.  because I was wondering if I had done something wrong, but maybe I'd forgotten I'd done this, and then therefore the consequence of my actions was  going to catch up with me, and this made me always look over my shoulder, so I couldn't enjoy my now moment, if I always thought I was guilty of something.

I no longer have a fear that I'm guilty of something, so I don't believe in bad or good luck anymore either.
It was ACIM basically got me headed out of the guilt trips we put on each other. and believe me, that's another book to write.

on another thread Bird is talking about choosing either love or fear, as most of us talk about this love or fear thing and we know you cannot feel both love and fear at the same time. so you are choosing.

It's what we are choosing right now that counts, that makes the future. and as for the choices we made in the past, we have the capability to change the past also, by the choices made right now.

was speaking about a self retrieval I did. I felt I changed the past when I retrieved her, the little girl, and I brought her into the present. I let her experience the love in the present, that was not in the past, so she had a chance to mature into her fullness, otherwise she would still be in the past, all alone, with no love.

I feel we each have a child we can go back and retrieve, and then that is sort of like clearing the karma.

love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Hi Alysia, good to hear it put in a practical context. What you say probably ties in with the higher mind view of karma.

We may well be carrying mind 'baggage' from the past, but as you say events or actions in the 'now' may result in the release of these.

I guess the self recovery you describe is one way  - in the end the effect is to bring about the dropping of whatever fearful beliefs you'd fallen into back then. Which ends up changing your mind state now...

Dropping the guilt trips in your current life post ACIM meanwhile means you don't create more baggage going forward.

It's such an incredibly complex and subtle business the way it all hangs together, and the complex ways the past interacts with the present to create futures. Not to mention that time isn't truly real, so that as you say nothing is out of reach.

I'm very new to ACIM, but can attest to the effectiveness of 'forgiveness' in the present as a means of dropping negativity.

It makes such a difference to how a person feels, and creates such a lightening of the heart - it's hard to imagine that forgiving today's issues that arise in the now does not likewise bring about a change in the whole chain of events and memory that meant the issue became problematical in the first place.

Smiley Effectively the vice versa of the going back to recover your younger self as you describe to influence today's self...

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:12pm

The simple "cause and effect"-Karma in my view would be pretty ineffective. It would throw people who made a mistake into situations which are worse than the one before, but the person isn't smarter than before, so this person is likely to again make mistakes, so rather than an ascension, it's more likely to turn out to be a decension for most people. This is because, in this simple version, there is no teacher. The person is left alone. That ain't gonna work.
   So, it needs some modifications to prevent it to become a downward spiral, this would be educational elements, such as guidance, life-review, and very wisely picked incarnations.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:39am

Quote:
One of the things upsetting me, is that Karma law.
To some extent, I wonder if it is fair.

Let me explain:

We are told, that we are here to learn.
That equals, admitting we don't know everything.

When you have to learn, or are ignorant, you make mistakes. That is inevitable.

Then you are told, that, due to these mistakes, you will have to bear "Karma" and correct this.

But it is inevitable you make mistakes, so it is inevitable you bear Karma.

What does this Karma implies?
Possible answers:
- You will have to come back to life eg. if you committed a murder, you will be murdered. If you stole, you will be stolen from. Meaning you will undergo, what you made others undergo.
- OR You will end up in the heaven/hell where you belong, according to the total state of mind you have.
- etc...(I don't know what else could happen)

At what moment in this entire cycle is there somebody to teach you how to break this circle. I think there is no teacher, until you look for one yourself.

So if during 200 000 years you are stuck and unaware that you are here to learn, you keep circling around like a dog trying to bite its own tail.

I don't like this vision, because it implies that people undergo things without knowing why, causing suffering.

Sonia

Why does anything have to be fair?
Is it fair that God allows humans to embark on a journey of self-discovery ending in Godhood?
The price seems so small if you meditate on it, as we are constantly loved, sustained and forgiven, all quite undeservingly, while we stumble along in ignorance along the way.
But we do get more help if and when we ask for it.

Its just that God wants to see that we are paying attention and fully utilizing what we are already given before getting more - "like the Bible says and it still is news". That is a part of karma. God values everything as playing a significant part and wants nothing to go to waste. The Law of Karma doesn't let any action go to waste. And speaking of that, please excuse the puns and the vulgarity in the following, but the concrete mind can be constipated and may need help to acheive more flexibility, to move more freely...

Is it fair that the most enjoyable delicious meal made with thoughtfulness and  love later comes out the other end as some foul smelling brown stuff?  Is it?
Is it therefore "a mistake" to eat because of ....consequences?
Some aspect of God may utilize this consequence.
Why become upset about this? That could lead to an eating disorder, or other energetic disturbances, which would be a form of hell on Earth according to one's state of mind.
Rather, it seems peacefully enlightening to simply be grateful (and graceful) concerning the necessities at both ends.

When the mother changes the diaper does she hate the child for doing a nasty?
If she loves the child then what's to forgive?
It's all some form of work, all sustained by love -- baby-work, mother-work -- whether consciously or unconsciously.

Likewise it is all some form of opportunity too.
Even a hungry animal somehow knows that if it catches, kills and eats another, that will take care of its hunger - for now. That is the range of karma many animals generally operate within - kill and/or be killed.  By the same token, a plant doesn't generate much karma, but neither does it have much opportunity, at least compared to animals and especially to humans. So have a little faith. It doesn't take 200,000 years for a human to begin to intuit certain natural orders and consequences of actions. Just ask the baby 20 years later.

Karma doesn't have to be necessarily bad - it can be good too - something to aspire to.
It is a paradox of life in the physical that we have to utilize the field of ignorance, the finite impermanent as an expedient to realize the Immortal Eternal Truth. And if you say that isn't true I will say you are wrong and be right, because we do progress. That is inevitable too. Every moment it is happening.

We don't have to know everything - just become one with everything. Is that the same thing?
Meanwhile we think we are suffering, but it is Someone else who is having the experience in and through us while we become Who we are.
Even to want to look for that Teacher is the result of karma.  

Karma is the process of becoming more and more confluent with that Will/Identity in and through an individual life within the One greater Life.
It is karma that allows and makes possible the physical plane interaction of possibility - the interdependence of differentiated beings and free will - all within ONE LIFE.  

A dog only bites its own tail because it doesn't know it is one with it.
It is karma that allows the dog to discover this.
This is no doubt the origin of the saying, "My karma ate my dogma." Wink

- u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 2:56pm

Hi I think if we all had a thousand lives to live,we would still owe karma and the reason for that is because we are human and humans are forever making mistakes,i dont know what i did in past lives but ive been paying back karma since as long as i can remember.

Love and God bless  love juditha

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:21pm

Quote:
Hi I think if we all had a thousand lives to live,we would still owe karma and the reason for that is because we are human and humans are forever making mistakes,i dont know what i did in past lives but ive been paying back karma since as long as i can remember.

Love and God bless  love juditha

hello there sweetie...why not instead of paying back karma Juditha, we pay it forward?

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:26pm

half full-half empty....The creation of future karma possabilities. It is difficult in changing the past yet so simple to change the future.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Hi guys. Lots of aspects of karma there. To try to stitch it together, at least within the view I set out above.

First off karma is not as above necessarily created by God. While the result of our own beliefs, it seems actually to be a consequence of the gameplan that ego (the separated aspect of collective mind) set up along with creating the illusion of selfhood and this reality. (see above for the reason why)

The basic individual life situation is set up so that we mistakenly experience external realities and beings (even though all are actually parts of us created by our collective ego mind) as threatening.  This causes us to out of fear mistakenly lash out in response, and for whatever reason (perhaps because our higher mind sees this as wrong) our individual and collective ego mind in response to this creates more negative experience (from these same beings and realities) for ourselves in future. This is karma.

Thus ego (the separated aspect of collective mind) ensures that we're kept stuck in this reality -  ego (perhaps using the creative power of mind powered by the guilt and self loathing that results from harming others) makes the law of karma seem a part of this reality. Karma brings  into being the suffering required to keep us lashing out at and harming each other and our environment and the periods of relative happiness that keep us striving. (Buddhism teaches that attachment and aversion combined with our usual ignorance of spiritual reality is the cause of suffering in the world)

The resulting suffering keeps us at the individual level too fearful and uptight to see that by harming others and our environment we're actually harming ourselves (at our usual low level of consciousness we don't realise that selfhood is an illusion, that we are all one) - not just directly but by generating the ongoing negative karma that keeps the cycle going.

What you say Spooky is correct - without help the spiral tightens and we keep on digging ourselves deeper into suffering, and further away from being able to see the need to apply forgiveness to enable loving behaviours.

The traditions teach that it's the Holy Spirit, or Grace, or the basic goodness of higher mind residing outside of ego (the true nature of mind) that provides the required guidance - in the form of the still small voice that guides us in the direction of truth or true seeing. This delivered as intuition, the urge to love, higher knowing. Whatever.

Spirit turns karma to its own ends. We're advised not to behave badly  - not because anything we do in an illusory reality is all that important, but ultimately because the suffering it results in makes the space and peace required for the development of spiritual awareness hard to come by.

It then teaches us that negative emotions - in the most general form our judging of others when we experience something that causes a negative response in us - are a surefire pointer to imminent wrong thought and doing.

We're advised to instantly forgive, because if we don't not only do we risk causing suffering and its karmic consequences to ourselves - we also out of an obsessive sense of being wronged risk adopting a negative mindset.

As well as helping us to avoid creating more negative karma, Spirit also helps us to clear that already created. When we experience serious suffering Spirit uses the eventual loss of will to fight back (against what we mistakenly perceive as the external causes of our problems) as an opening through which to deliver higher insight. Which is why so many of us start down the path after illness or other serious suffering.

Most of all forgiveness frees Spirit to heals our minds of the negative beliefs/baggage we've picked up from past events in our lives. (since mind creates according to beliefs this is the same as changing both our past and our future - both permitting much faster progress towards realisation)

Mechanisms as you say seem to include among the gazillions stuff like recovery, guidance in life or into appropriate lives, life events, 'chance' meetings, guidance towards spiritual paths, spiritual healing and so on - anything you can think of that is spiritually transformative.

This ultimately amounts to our releasing the negative karma we carry as negative beliefs buried in our individual and collective minds.

When realised/enlightened (free of all negative beliefs and living truly through love) we're no longer bound by karma at all - because we've dropped all such beliefs....

The key point is intention on each of our parts. We have it seems to suffer the consequences of our behaviours for long enough to get tired of them and start seeking escape.

Spirit won't otherwise act - free will is paramount it seems.

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 5:28am

Sonia,
I dont know much about Karma etc. However I did want to extend something you to in regards to your sentence:
"At what moment in this entire cycle is there somebody to teach you how to break this circle. I think there is no teacher, until you look for one yourself."

My oppinion is:
EVERYDAY you come across someone - something whom is a spiritual tool! Look in the mirror and you will see the most beautiful gift of love, you`ve every laid eyes on.

Let me use kids as an example, for better understanding of my view.

Kids tend to rebuttel in many things whilst growing up. Not one of us is exempt from ever have bad mouthed our parents at least once. What does growing up essencially mean? Learning & experienceing responsibility for the whole. Look at our Being from the beginning strictly neutral for a moment so to recognise teachers:

We are born, helpless: Our teachers are mom & dad - they are obvious to us for we are helpless.
We become teenagers: our teachers become friends and extended family, the streets, the norm of society.
We become adults: Our teacher becomes the harshness of life`s lessons, the good, bad and the ugly.

However once we become adults we have a tendency to close our eyes to the "obvious" signs of learning, close eyes to the "obvious teachers" however we inturn also "teach" others in the process by merely being a part of society.

We have history books which teach us of what our Fore-fathers have done in previous days, even though history can be a teacher it has a tendency to repeat itself until the students learn the lesson.

My point:
Everyday of your life, theres a teacher. It may be a kitty cat or a puppy whom shows/teaches you how to love because it loves unconditional.

It may be a humanbeing whom shows/teaches you how to feel content because he/she shared a smile unconditionally without even knowing you.

It may be a bush in the yard which shows/teaches you how to get back up after a harsh tornado because it reaches towards the sunlight for food.

or a someone whom helps you out of a crises, gives you a hug, gives you driving directions when your lost all such is extending whats called PUL.

So ergo: You are right, the circle is broken when "you open your conscienceness level to recognise the teachers everyday". Or how you put it:
I think there is no teacher, until you look for one yourself.

Hugs,
Nanner

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.