Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the power of self-image? (Read 4727 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
What's the power of self-image?
Aug 20th, 2008 at 4:41pm

Greetings,

Various discussions here about gurus make me wonder --what is the amazing power in the self-images of persons who set themselves up as gurus?
Does every self have the power that we find operating in gurus and some political leaders and others?
Do 'believers' have the same powers as gurus? or
Is there an opposite to a 'guru-ish' state of mind?

I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

george stone

Re: What's the power of self-image?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Bets,I think enyone can have the power for this,but you must meditate,every day to get it,I ask the holy spirit for healing,but i asked to heal others,and not myself.a voice came within my right ear,saying do not be a fraied,what you have asked for you will receive.So i can heal others but not myself,because i said heal others,I ask for nothing for myself.George

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 6:40pm

Hi Bets,

By definition a guru is a teacher and whether we realize it or not we are all teachers. Sometimes we teach love, patience and kindness, other times we teach hate, prejudice, and partiality. This is the world in which we live. It’s a world where freedom of choice exists, which is actually a blessing, albeit one that might exist in disguise.

Perhaps another question is… What makes a guru a guru? I suppose a guru that is a known guru could not exist if that person did not have students or followers that agreed with that person’s teachings. In that respect it is really the people that follow a person that give credence or power to any gurus teachings.

Now to the discussion going on the other thread, I think the following quote from Albert is excellent! The point I see is when we start to say something in contrast to another’s belief we need to be careful to not cause harm to that other person. Everything a person knows and understands is subjective, especially in religious/spiritual matters. If we condemn a particular teacher/guru we run the risk of teaching hate/prejudice rather than love/kindness by discounting another person’s belief and experience as valid and helpful to that individual. The message Albert received seems to me to be valid in all situations. To do otherwise would be to try to control the choices of another and ultimately that person’s inner divine guidance.

Quote:
Quote Recoverer:
…I had told myself I wouldn't try to convert any patients to my way of thinking, but instead just share love, I started to say something that contrasted to his way of thinking. … I received the message to not try to change the patients way of thinking… There are all kinds of people in this World with different needs.

The divine essence within each of us leads us to exactly what we need to experience in life. And that’s the beauty of life itself… living life moment to moment and experiencing whatever it is that life presents to us so we may grow in love by choosing love in all circumstances. That is what I think enlightenment / God realization is all about, as well as the teachings of all great spiritual gurus/advisors/teachers.

Certainly all gurus/teachers struggled with fear/ego just as each of us do ourselves? “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Aren’t we all gurus when it comes to that subject?  Roll Eyes

Love, Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:18pm

Okay Kathy. I'll go stick my head in the sand and let everybody else find out about fake gurus for themselves.  Certainly people don't need to know about the experiences of people such as myself.  The only thing that matters is what sri guru has to say. Let them speak to their ego's content, while people such as myself have muzzles placed over our mouths.  That's the most lovey dovey thing to do.

During my life review when I'm asked why I didn't say anything when I knew better, I'll say I was more interested in the image of being lovey dovey than being loving.

If people are so certain about their gurus, perhaps they shouldn't be so thin skinned when it comes to negative people such as myself.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 10:56pm

Albert, when you received the message to not interfere in the person’s way of thinking did you feel like you were “sticking your head in the sand” or did you feel like it was taking right action in the expression of love and respect for the other person?

Is there some reason why Christ’s message to you would be valid for one person and not for everyone else?

K

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:06am

Independently of the quality of a guru's influence on people, one factor what makes some of them seem so convincing and attractive to some people may be the belief of this guru that he/she really knows a part of the truth which is worthy to tell it to others. When one really believes this,  it's not necessary to pretend, to consciously play a role, just as it's been said "When you're self-convinced, you'll convince others".

When someone's nature is more of the sceptic-doubting-wondering side, I think it's more difficult to become such a guru-person. When one is self-absorbed and uncritical about the own knowledge and degree of wisdom, then it would be easier. That's the crux with leaders, many are, from my perspective, in leading positions because of their narrow focus on the being-on-the-right-side own self and their great opinion about their own mission.
   Of course, there may be those who are at one with themselves not because they're unable to have a critical view on themselves, but because they already have gone through that and there is just nothing left to be worried about. Those would be the good teachers. I guess they only aren't talking as loud as the other category.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 7:44am

Perhaps it is all theater, one huge drama with a varying cast of players. Perhaps some folks just naturally enjoy taking the leading role characters in the plays, or maybe this is someone's big moment.

Who knows?

Some of the little characters are wonderful, aren't they? Without them there would be no story at all, would there? There would just be someone standing by themselves making a long speech.

That's kind of fun too, but not night after night.

But, it's funny. It's those "thorn in your side" people, no matter where they are located in the production, who seem to stick out in my mind, in a familiar way, almost a reassuring way. Oh, here comes the "bad guy" -- and we all settle back in our seats for a good show.

Some people like to watch boxing, and other sports.

I don't care for those too much every time but, then, I'm not tied to my seat, am I?

That's right, I'm flying...

I don't remember who taught me how to do it, or when exactly that I learned how to do it, and my feeling is, it just sort of happened.

I was looking up at the sky one day, and suddenly I was there. Wow, you can really see a lot from up here.

Hello, you!

Ha ha ha ha

Smiley

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:20am

recoverer wrote on Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:18pm:
Okay Kathy. I'll go stick my head in the sand and let everybody else find out about fake gurus for themselves.  Certainly people don't need to know about the experiences of people such as myself.  The only thing that matters is what sri guru has to say. Let them speak to their ego's content, while people such as myself have muzzles placed over our mouths.  That's the most lovey dovey thing to do.

During my life review when I'm asked why I didn't say anything when I knew better, I'll say I was more interested in the image of being lovey dovey than being loving.

If people are so certain about their gurus, perhaps they shouldn't be so thin skinned when it comes to negative people such as myself.

Albert-

Actually the point you make can be applied to other things besides gurus.  At some point in certain schools, for example, kids were taught that there really aren't any wrong answers.  It was tied to the myth of self-esteem.....a child who gets half of his answers wrong will feel bad if he sees that his friend in the next row got all of his answers correct.

So, if you drive in any big city these days, you'll see scads of bumper stickers proclaiming that the drivers' child in on the honor roll.  Are kids any smarter, or is it much easier to make the honor roll than it once was?

Same thing when it comes to different cultures.  It's just not true that all cultures are equal, but that's what we have to say if we are to be politically correct.

Anyway, the point is the same.  Of course there are fake gurus and fake mediums just as there are fake honor rolls.  Fact is, it's wrong to allow kids to think they are smarter than they really are because it's setting themselves up for disappointment and failure once they enter the job market.

And it's also wrong to say that all gurus/mediums are equally good.  To do so is really a cop-out.  It's simply a way of trying to make everyone feel good about their own personal choices, and to avoid being "judgmental".

Just think how many people could have been helped if they were told about Sylvia Browne being a fraud and a fake.  They would have not only saved their money, but they would have been spared lots of unnecessary grief.

Keeping telling it like you see it!

IP Logged

tgecks

Dahlonega, Georgia
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:28am

All the time my guidance asks me, "Do you think we have lead you to this healing so you can give it all away and not take any for yourself?"

I think it is ONLY about yourself, and that giving it away is giving it to yourself. Jesus said "What I Am, you are. What I can do you can do. This and more will you do." Gurus and masters just learn how sooner, I guess. And Masters create other Masters, not students, not customers.

So, my friends, take some for your self intentionally. It is all about you in the end anyhow, just as it is all about me from ymperspective....

And, Recoverer, I do NOT consider you a negative person AT ALL. Just a realist.......

You create it all, and most important your self image, IMO.

Thomas

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:56pm

Kathy, Why would the message or review of/to Albert be from Christ? I don't believe that good old JC will be doing my life review. I, or one from my "disk group" is far more likely to be doing the review on myself than him.  Where do ideas like this come from? Unless the life review is to be done somewhere in the belief system territories that is. The belief in these things and these "gurus" could well entrap you within an area in F25 or F26. Now don't get me wrong..I don't think that Christ is bad. He is love. Everyone needs something to believe in, or so it seams. I guess it all depends on what you believe when your "in body". Some may think they will be reviewed by Christ, some Mohammad, or Krishna, or.... There is such a multitude of possibilities, all depending on your personal indoctrination. Me,... I think it will be me. The All of me. In fact, I am going to skip by 22 -> 26  and then deside once I settle down in 27. (I have some visiting to catch up on.)
Joe

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 3:06pm

Hey Joe, I was referring to Albert saying the message he received was from Christ not anything to do with a life review.

I might mention that I am not trying to censure anyone. What I'm trying to say is that if we are not considerate of others we run the risk of causing more harm than good.

K

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 3:42pm

Thanks Kathy, I was just wondering. I missed the part where there was a message from Christ.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 9:10pm

I had a co-worker friend once who was a Muslim from India. (Well he proabaly still is that!). We would occasionally venture into discussions of culture and religion.

Among many other things he pointed out to me, he did point out that there is a culture in India, in that part of the world, of having a guru, a teacher. There is a cultural phenomenon of accepting that someone is a teacher and the way to be taught is to have complete devotion and obedience to this person. That is part of the tradition for passing on whatever knowledge or wisdom is held. I imagine in that culture on the other side of the world, that the cultural "rules" about this sort of thing are well-understood, just as we understand what rabbis, priests, and ministers may or may not do. Take the boy out of the country...ah, uh, take the guru out of the original context and stick him in USA and ....maybe something is lost.

I think there have been some really interestin gpeople back in the old country who may have been called "guru". Like the one Richard Alpert who later was called Ram Dass went to study with or whatever....something was/is different about some of these folks. But they are here to tell us we all have this potential, no?

I just got back from out yearly jaunt to Omega and I sat in the Ram Dass library one evening and gazed at pictures of about 9 or 12 of these folks from the area of India...all now passed over, all but one men, and read their brief bios. And it seemed to me the message of each of them was something to do with what we here call PUL.

I mean, if someone is conciously accessing great levels of PUL and able to live it, is it an ego trip to say, "I'm willing to be a guru (teacher)" ? (Sorry I'm not good with those names. I think one of them was Meher Baba but I'm not sure. forgot the woman's name.)

I'm wondering if some of these folks are able to access some of those levels Thomas has been talking about, access them while they are also fully awake, simultaneously with accessing C1. What could you do if you could do that (think in simulcast! Listen in stereo!).

Of course, some less-accomplished beings may think they are there...may not know the difference, though some may conciously deceive.

In the Western tradition, there is one line of thought I hadn't considered in a while...people are born on different colored rays and that affects what they can do here. I think you  may have heard this discussed, I'm not sure of the details. But I heard someone describe Richard Nixon as having been born on a red ray, meaning he was born to lead. Not my favorite person, though I can deal with him better than with a Hitler who also was undoubtedly born on a red ray. But some folks do have the charisma and confidence of ...natural-born leaders!

Opposite to guru-ish state of mind....hmmmm... depends on the guru..but what is the opposite of PUL?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.