Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Biblical Fables? (Read 12798 times)
Starboom

Norway
Re: Biblical Fables?
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 3:01am

Shining wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 11:29pm:
Hey Stjerneeksplosjon,

Oh I know, we all get off topic sometimes.  I just get tired of the high level of incivility and disrespect some people show.  Why can't we just talk about things and agree to disagree without name calling or treating those with different ideas like they are idiots?

I might've skipped some crucial details, but I can't remember any name calling in this thread. Also, I don't think people have shown any special degree of incivility (new word for me there). This is a discussion board after all, and if some people get a little worked up, or excited, then that's to be expected. I assure you, this thread is St. Augustine compared to a random thread on the metal board I frequent.

One more season.

IP Logged

Shining

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:41pm

Well, I'm not denying anyone his or her right to be insulting or uncivil (yes, I know the word -- it was a typo, no need being sarcastic), but after 35 plus years of these kind of discussions, I guess I'm just getting tired of it.  I like what you say in a lot of your posts.  I agree with some of what you and Mr. McDougall say about the Bible, but there's no reason to call people "ridiculous"  or needing "their head's examined" as he does just because they believe what they do.   Sounds like name calling to me.

Fundamentalists get on my nerves too, believe me, but I've had far more productive discussions with them after I quit being insulting and offered some love and respect.  IMHO this is the higher spiritual path.

Besides, I do believe there is a spiritual law of karma, or sowing and reaping, or whatever you want to call it, and I guess I'm just trying to reverse some of my many past transgressions!   Grin

IP Logged

ultra

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:39pm

Hi recoverer,

A nice summation of your usual themes.

recoverer said, Quote:
A day will come when you'll find out about the gurus you like to speak of. It is up to you decide when you do so.

Thank you for the very sincere yet ominous, mysterious, melodamatic and slightly condescending "heads-up". Oooh,  scary. I wonder what unspeakable horrors await me around the bad fake guru corner?? Since you are so concerned, you can personally lead a crusade to retrieve my bitter regrets in the fake guru BST's. Don't forget to bring plenty of PUL.

recoverer said, Quote:
I don't say the things I say because I'm a Christian who looks to stick his tongue out at anything that seems different from Christianity.

Right!
And besides that, implied in the following is also the complete and total contradiction of the foregoing:

recoverer said, Quote:
I gained extensive experience with the guru thing years before I made conscious spiritual contact with Christ or any other form of spirit guidance.  I've seen what gurus are up to since the early 1980s. I went from believing they are "all that" to finding out the truth.

Yes, we heard "all that" many times. Its like your own personal version of the Bible (note: gratuitous on-topic reference).  And the conclusion of that epic work is the ultimate "truth", not just for you, but implied for all evidently by your postings - the sweeping generalization that all teachers/gurus/masters except the Christ are fake. Is that your belief? If it is, then it is not necessary to dance a jig around it - just make the simple declaration. It seems exclusive and limiting for my taste and experience, but I could accept it better that way if you would just say it outright. What I mean is, it might be easier for others if you just came out and made a direct statement of that belief if it is indeed true for you, instead of implying it indirectly by putting everyone else's beliefs and ideals down. I for one would respect you more for it, and these silly attacks attempting to disparage others beliefs and inspirations would not then be required to prop up and validate your own by exclusion - thus turning what appears to be a deep seated prejudice against others' beliefs into a removal of doubt from yourself - doubt which is currently being projected onto others. Please correct me if I am wrong about this, and if so in what way. Maybe you will help me to understand this better.

recoverer said, Quote:
I don't believe that Jesus was anything like the gurus who have existed throughout the years. I believe he was a man who knew about the afterlife, and tried to help people out by passing on what he knew in a way they could understand. He also sought to make this World a better place.

Ha! That sounds just like Bruce! Have I been missing something here at AKC? It could also be describing a funeral director too. Well, you are certainly entitled to your beliefs, but what you are saying is that Christ is essentially just like Bruce? And then is Bruce therefore like Christ? Sounds functionally identical. Ok, I never thought about it like that. Jeez - I hope people don't start burning Bruce's books.

So now you imply that Jesus was not "All That". Maybe my above conclusions about your belief system are incorrect. So what I understand by this statement is that Jesus is basically just another John Q Public, who OBE's and who cares....OoBDude?.
Again - help me out here.

recoverer said, Quote:
Regarding what the Gospel of John said, don't forget that the words in this gospel were passed along by word of mouth and translated in various ways. I doubt that Jesus wanted to be worshiped.

Doubts are infectious! Be careful. Maybe wear a mask.

Yes, why worship the sacred? I agree provisionally, that is, if it goes in a certain direction....
But also, why diminish the significance of the Christ?

How about changing the word "worship" to "love" or even "identification", which might be better than "worship" which implies an unreciprocal ego-division vs.a pure oneness-love. I think that Jesus did (and does) want to be loved, because that would mean that we did learn what He came to teach. And consequently, loving Christ - guru designation or not - would be identical with loving one's own (and everyone's) Absolute Highest Self, which would have the amazing potential of being a flawless expression of PUL. Do you agree?

That is what is extremely significant about the descent of a Master like Christ. On the physical plane, not only is He the actual physical embodiment of everyone's Highest Self, but as such, He also embodies the perfect knowledge of the DIvine Will for each being AND He also embodies PUL. (It is a very potent combination for human progress and why the descent, presence and access to such a Master is a rare gift.) Therefore He would function as a conduit of those Principles for anyone who would identifiy with Him as Source.  In other words, He is an extremely efficient expedient for the practice of PUL because He IS the pure, unconditional form - and infinitely easier to access, experience, learn and assimilate PUL by the identification with the pure living embodiment of it, rather than by struggling with the distorted, conditional, impure forms that we normally struggle with in the physical, including and especially within ourselves. We still have to deal with all that anyway as we must attempt  to put into practice what is learned from the identification process (something many use meditation for), but at least a model exists to light the way.

"Worship" is just a lower transitional form of this principle of access when conditioned by ego separation.  Another manifestation of 'lower forms' of this access principle related to "worship" but similarly conditioned by ego/separation is when devotees keep 'themselves' sufficiently separate while at the same time recognizing the height, and positioning themselves with the Master, in order to feel superior to others. This is a very common intermediate passage on the "ladder", but it is a mistake to "throw away the ladder" when it can provide ascending forms of access. Also for that matter, imo it is a mistake to diminish the goal (symbolized and embodied by the Master) of the climbing, instead of just stepping up to the next wrung and supplanting "worship" with "identification". It would also be rather serious mistake to misperceive this higher form of access of "identification", with "pedestal worship". Such a misperception and subsequent aversion to the climbing process can have significant implications.

Of course, one would need to believe in all this and be inclined to the 'devotional' approach, but these are some of the issues that come up when "worship" is introduced. Maybe you do not see eye to eye with this. That is fine as there must be other ways to look at it.  I just wanted to address from my own perspective and experience, the particular issue of worship, as you seem interested in it.

recoverer said, Quote:
When I make contact with spirit guidance, I never get the feeling that the beings I make contact with want to be put on a pedestal. They have no interest at all with the idolization business that goes on with gurus. Rather, their messages are about how I can become a person who loves all beings equally. This doesn't mean that I have to become blind when it comes to those who try to deceive.

There's that pedestal thing again - it is an absolutely unshakable preoccupation for you isn't it? In the further interest of helping me understand...

Can you please explain what exactly is the difference in meaning and function between the "pedestal" and the "reverence" you frequently speak of?

You also seem to have some strange misconceptions regarding idolization being a necessary qualification for someone playing the role of a teacher. Maybe..."A day will come when you will be able to"... let go of this bitter obsession? Really r, just let it go. Can you do me a favor? The next time you "make contact with spirit guidance", ask them what this obsession is about, ok? And more importantly, what can be done about it. And can you also ask them who exactly is trying to make you blind and deceive you? And, are you angry at who is allegedly trying to decieve you?  Do you think those things are all related? Can you ask them?

I think there is a danger not so much from false gurus, but that such blanket preconceptions would become the "pedestal" itself, or more accurately, a stumbling block, because those generalizations would require one to be intrinsically suspicious of anyone who might potentially teach us something (everybody?), and that seems to be a form of ego protection based on fear which would be counter to the general purpose of "becoming a better person who loves all beings equally."

My own feeling is that the only thing that can possibly deceive and blind, is one's own ignorance - which right now for all of us is well ensconsed on the pedestal of our lives. And that "idolization" is a reflection or projection of the ego's active need for dominance and supremacy within the individual being. For millenia, that has been the true "business of idolization" - not the Truth seekers and God lovers who sacrifice to change that, whatever name they go by.

recoverer said, Quote:
Going by the words that were attributed to him, the Buddha didn't believe in a God who purposely created everything, rather he claimed that everything is an illusion that needs to be overcome.  Certainly this is different than how Jesus viewed things.

Yes, it is different, and that is the beauty of it don't you think? - that they are different but not necessarily mutually exclusive, and each adds something unique and beautiful to the Creation that can be practical to different people according to need. I thought you said that Spirit provides for all in different ways. This would be an excellent example.

recoverer said, Quote:
The Buddha also didn't believe in the existence of an eternal Soul. Many sources have found that despite the oneness of all, each of our Souls are eternal, and the future that is in store for each of us is wonderful. Our Souls become more and more as we gain wisdom. We don't puff out of existence.

Maybe if part of your disk was around 2500 years ago you could have condescended to illumine the Buddha on the fatal flaws of His presciently anti-Christian conspiracy cult. Maybe you could have saved humanity from immeasuable untold suffering caused by followers of the Buddha's teachings. Come to think of it, isn't it telling that I have never heard (or heard of, for that matter) a Buddhist disparaging anyone's belief system, path, teacher, etc., - especially with a deliberate intent to destroy another being's inspiration, or to assert superiority by claiming others' inferiority in the name of love. I cannot say the same for many so-called Christians I have come into contact with.

What the Buddha offers is a path in which the individual being permanently e-x-i-t-s the physical manifestation into Nirvana, the Absolute, the Eternal. Do you know what that is like? I don't. But for those who believe, the Buddha does. And for the people who choose that, why is it bad? In any case, I am sure it is much, much better than food poisoning.

Among other positive things, I can make use of the Buddha's teaching that emphasizes a de-attachment from form, something the personality centered being is fearful of, as in a fear of losing its distinctly divided and separated sentience. This fear is actually  based on the 'ego's' imposition of that attachment onto the mind which as the primary mechanism of cognition in the personality, seeks to define by that attachment, what is beyond its capability to grasp. Hence the significance of transcending mind and/or attachment in many spiritual paths. This was imo a great acheivement of Buddhism and still is. It does not mean that we "puff out of existence", but the ego thinks "we" do, because "it" ultimately has to, or really it has to sublimate and surrender to becoming an instrument of the soul instead of being the boss of the personality - and it knows this and it is afraid, very afraid.

Perhaps in the case of what we call the soul, that would have more to do with a path of physical plane manifestation, specifically with the evolution process as it continues in physical and as such would not apply to His Path - it does not go that route. It is a matter of choice and some beings take it, some do not. That doesn't mean the Buddha is a "fake". It just means...(- ! -)...Buddhism may not be for you. I might recommend reading Sri Aurobindo's writings on the distinction between the soul and the psychic being, in which he does discuss the implications of Buddhist thought, which could be helpful if you are interested as it relates to this subject. In case you regard Sri Aurobindo as a fake too, best to stay away from that material as well. I found it helpful to me. I hope that is not a too painful statement to read.

recoverer said, Quote:
People like Bruce Moen show that is possible to pass on information to other people without having to claim that one is an "enlightened master" who holds the key to another's enlightenment.

I have never heard Bruce make that claim, but then could he? Although he may have a problem with an implied (at least a functional) comparison between himself and the Christ, perhaps in the very first instance of such a comparison that I have seen, he does imo, very clearly, I would say indisputably play the role of a teacher or guru - even if that might make him (and certainly you, haha) feel a little uncomfortable. (well, with experience may also come the burden of responsibility and that is understandably stress producing)... keeping in mind of course that not everyone, nor do I,  attach any negative connotation to the term 'guru' - it simply means teacher. Sometimes people put all kinds of bad labels on things because of previous experiences they judge as negative. Such negative orientations tend to persist (as in stuckness) into the present, and if unchallenged/untransformed may generate further problems, both internally, interpersonally, collectively and even posthumously. But then you must know that from reading Bruce's writings which pass on that information.

If someone is in truth actually an "enlightened master", and they embody and manifest the function, it means - - that's what they are, whatever the claims, whoever makes them. It is then a matter of existential reality and not dependent on hearsay, I say, or you say, although opinion may alter anyone's self-chosen access to that reality according to their preference. Why complicate life? But if you insist - here is a thought experiment: Try substituting any profession for "enlightened master" in the previous sentence. And btw, if someone really is fully enlightened and fully God-realized, I would boldly venture that they indeed would hold the key to another's enlightenment, and it may even be their primary responsibility to play that role. Its just that people often don't think to ask for the key. Or they are afraid to.

Speaking of keys and enlightened masters, here is a poem that another famous musician, Bob Dylan, recently read on his satellite radio show:

Quote:
Doubt is the lock,
Faith is the key.

Hate is the lock,
Love is the key.

Body is the lock,
Soul is the key.

Ignorance is the lock,
Light is the key.

God's Heart has no lock,
Man's mind has no key.

- Sri Chinmoy

- u

Continued in "off-topic" forum in "CASTING STONES? a response to recoverer"

http://afterlife-knowledge.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1218922389

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #33 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 6:48am

Shining wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:41pm:
Well, I'm not denying anyone his or her right to be insulting or uncivil (yes, I know the word -- it was a typo, no need being sarcastic), but after 35 plus years of these kind of discussions, I guess I'm just getting tired of it.  I like what you say in a lot of your posts.  I agree with some of what you and Mr. McDougall say about the Bible, but there's no reason to call people "ridiculous"  or needing "their head's examined" as he does just because they believe what they do.   Sounds like name calling to me.

Fundamentalists get on my nerves too, believe me, but I've had far more productive discussions with them after I quit being insulting and offered some love and respect.  IMHO this is the higher spiritual path.

Besides, I do believe there is a spiritual law of karma, or sowing and reaping, or whatever you want to call it, and I guess I'm just trying to reverse some of my many past transgressions!   Grin

I agree, one shouldn't be insulting, and I've tried not to be in this thread. But I still don't think anyone has gone too far in this thread. Also, you must understand, I wasn't being sarcastic, I honestly thought it was a proper word I hadn't seen before.

One more season.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #34 - Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:56pm

Ultra:

I understood about gurus years before I made spiritual contact with Christ. Therefore, as I stated before, it isn't a matter of my being a Christian who is opposed to anything that is different than Christianity. I can't say that I think of myself as a Christian, because I don't know of any denomination that matches my beliefs.

I don't believe that Christ is the only light being who exists. I believe there are many wonderful light beings.  I believe that we are all destined to become light beings. However, while living in this World, I believe that most of us are limited in our understanding, just as I am. This doesn't mean that we don't have anything to share with others. However, we shouldn't lable ourselves in a way that implies that we are all knowing (e.g., "I'm enlightened"), when we aren't.

When it comes to reverence, reverence is something we can feel towards every other being who exists, just as we can have love and respect for all other beings.

There is nothing wrong with being able to see that false sources of information exist. It is rather intrusive of you to suggest that I don't have the right to use my discrimination. I find it incredibly unfair for you to think that you can speak about various sources with complete freedom, yet somebody else who has found out differently has no right to speak at all.  

At this time I'm not perfectly clear about what to do with matters like this matter. On the one hand, if I know better about a false source, I feel compelled to share my knowledge even if some people believe I'm a disgruntled creep for doing so. On the other hand, I don't want to be disrespectful about the beliefs of others.

This is a public forum. People do at times state when they don't believe what a source of information has to say. In fact, this is how this thread started out. I believe it was fine for Alan to write what he wrote. If we humans can't discuss our varying ideas, where does this leave us?

Ultra, why is it that you're so defensive about this? I've become defensive when people have said things about Christ that seem to minimalize his role. In some ways it was wrong for me to do so, because for the most part the people who have done so, seem to be loving people who have good intentions. They are mainly people who have been turned off by the things you see in fundamentalism, just as I have been turned off by fundamentalism.

Please notice the chronology on this thread, and realize that I started out by saying very little about false gurus. I did so for a constructive purpose. I didn't say more until you became involved. Was it unreasonable for me to respond in some way?
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008 at 7:59pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #35 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:25am

recoverer said, Quote:
I understood about gurus years before I made spiritual contact with Christ. Therefore, as I stated before, it isn't a matter of my being a Christian who is opposed to anything that is different than Christianity. I can't say that I think of myself as a Christian, because I don't know of any denomination that matches my beliefs..

What you call your "understanding about gurus" as you offer it, is put forth as a broadly negative sweeping generalization which does not account for different individual cases. Even the way you say it is telling. By the same token I could say, "I understood about bigots years before I made spiritual contact with Christ".

This is probably the umpteenth time someone here has mentioned this regarding the penchant for making this meaningless generalization, as well as additionally pointing out the intellectual fallacy (because they are arbitrary), and the resulting real-life implications of making such blanket generalizations (potentially damaging in an instance not conforming to the generalization). As another substitution exercise to illumine the foolishness of such generalizations I am sure you can think of some parallel generalizations regarding race that will illustrate my point quite easily.

recoverer said, Quote:
I don't believe that Christ is the only light being who exists. I believe there are many wonderful light beings.  I believe that we are all destined to become light beings. However, while living in this World, I believe that most of us are limited in our understanding, just as I am. This doesn't mean that we don't have anything to share with others. However, we shouldn't lable ourselves in a way that implies that we are all knowing (e.g., "I'm enlightened"), when we aren't. .

One at a time:
(a) Christ is not the only light being. Accepted.
(b) There are many wonderful light beings. Accepted.
(c) We are all destined to becoming light beings. Accepted.
(d) We are limited in our consciousness while in the physical due to ignorance. Accepted.
(e) We have things to share with others in our journeys. Accepted. But - here is where a problem starts: What do we choose to share, especially if we agree that we are limited  in our understanding? That limitation opens the door for some question as to what needs to be shared and what doesn't.  

As to "enlightened" -
(1) saying one is "enlightened" when they are. I addressed that quandry in the off-topic area
(2) "when we aren't" implies there is no case in which this might be true.
I guess this brings up the question of whether you believe it is possible for a human to be fully enlightened, God-realized, etc.
For me, I accept it as real.
(3) saying one is enlightened when they aren't.
Who makes the call in that case? You? Ok for yourself, but not for me. What if you think they aren't but they are? How might that effect (e)or even a pursuit of (c) for that matter? If they say they are, but they aren't, then people will have their own direct experience according to their own necessity and make their own conclusions (as per their own guidance) - they have to do this anyway, r, without your intercessional "warnings", again, based on (d). Also, as a variant using another profession: Suppose someone claims to be a "Master Electrician" but they are far from it. Does that mean that a person who needs to have a light switch changed should not employ them? Point is - there is a continuum of need and fulfilment with all kinds of messy untidy definitions and interdependancies - including that a person may play many roles simultaneously. This was well discussed in my first post in this thread.  Life involves the exploration and navigation of those issues in infinite possibility and variation and having the direct experience of it - not mediated by you, unless you are saying that you are fully enlightened?
Is that where this is going?  

For me the whole silly argument comes down to this: The creation was designed for maximum access by differentiated beings. God (or the Highest) within each being is responsible for the consequences of exploring that access according to individual need, receptivity and capacity. If you want to attempt to limit others' access based on an admittedly limited understanding, please try to understand that that does not constitute the engagement of your own similar God-given right to explore your own access. It is instead, a projection of that "limited understanding" towards a negation of others' search. It imposes an assumed "rational" objectivity onto a recipient which may be more acceptable in moral, ethical intellectual context, but in the spiritual context, other "rules" apply - mainly, that the individual subjective experience becomes primary. Now if you wanted to end up with some kind of fascist theocracy where even if you couldn't define your own beliefs as a "denomination", you could still employ some sweeping generalizations based on limited understanding/ignorance to deny, disparage, restrict others' access to (b) according to you, this is where you seem to be going with your intent. The inevitable conclusion of this intention may also be seen demonstrated in Mr Ross.

What you consistently propose r, is that according to your admittedly limited consciousness, you not only have a right, but an obligation to intercede on behalf of other beings and illumine them on what according to your limited understanding, is not "authentic". What if you are not authentic? How about just deal with your own experiences - ie:. inspire people with something positive from your own search. But throw a wet blanket on others? I know that in my own case alone, what you have projected is not valid for me because it has not been my direct experience, so just on my account alone your premise and action is wrong. There are others too, you have basically told that they do not have a right to be inspired by, to access certain sources you feel are "fake" - all because of your admittedly "limited understanding" - when in truth and fact this flies in the face of their own testitimony that it did inspire them, did help them, did transform them, did solve their problems etc. So, how can you ignore that? Are you deaf? Blind? Or maybe you are trying to raise some tax on their inspiration? Should they pay tribute to your ignorance by denying their own experience and conclusions? Do you really want to be that kind of a bully? This has been tried and it does not work.  Being God's self-appointed spiritual "gatekeeper" to others does not work for spiritual quest. It might work for corporate, institutional, financial, scientific - a whole host of "outer world" mundane phenomena, where so-called rational "objectivity" rules, but not in spirituality. In that spiritual context, one person's ignorance is enough to deal with. In that context, a shift has taken place in which all those "objective" issues are dealt with individually, internally, subjectively. In the spiritual life there really can be no other way. This is actually part of what the spiritual life is.

recoverer said, Quote:
When it comes to reverence, reverence is something we can feel towards every other being who exists, just as we can have love and respect for all other beings..

Ahhhh. A breath of fresh air.
See? What I'm talkin about!!
And why do we feel that way? Because it is the divine within each. The same divine that will guide each.

(Even though you did not answer my question on the distinction between reverance vs. pedestal, but I'll let it go for now)

recoverer said, Quote:
There is nothing wrong with being able to see that false sources of information exist. It is rather intrusive of you to suggest that I don't have the right to use my discrimination. I find it incredibly unfair for you to think that you can speak about various sources with complete freedom, yet somebody else who has found out differently has no right to speak at all.  .

Yes, for yourself....discrimminate away...
Let's discrimminate further:
What is actually intrusive to your mind r, is that I simply quoted and referred to sources you don't happen to like or use, for whatever deep seated prejudice as manifested by some silly sweeping generalizations you think you must impose on others.

Of course you are entitled to your discrimmination, but I have not spoken ABOUT sources. I have quoted, referenced or linked to passages of text written by those sources that were on topic, relevant and responsive within the context of the threads. You never once addressed those items in and of themselves r, but went into imo childish emotionally reactive accusations of "fake" about the sources. You have used this ploy in many other discussions referencing other sources. It seems that there were a few brave and intellectually honest members who were able to discuss the passages on their own merits - or at least acknowledge them, or just read them and assess the intrinsic truth value without comment, but you were not able to do so. Now, before anyone asserts that "in a debate" this issue of attacking source in this way is valid, let me point out that what this attempts to do is, e.g.: In a discussion on the aesthetics of paintings to say, "Van Gogh's paintings suck and I can't look at them or discuss them, because he supposedly cut his ear off, and I don't like that!! I'm going home, but not before I ruin the party by changing the subject to the bloody ear..." That would be my definition of intrusion relative to this issue.

recoverer said, Quote:
At this time I'm not perfectly clear about what to do with matters like this matter. On the one hand, if I know better about a false source, I feel compelled to share my knowledge even if some people believe I'm a disgruntled creep for doing so. On the other hand, I don't want to be disrespectful about the beliefs of others..

R, I am sure you are not a disgruntled creep, but you often sound like one, to me anyway. I hear bitterness residing nervously in many of your comments of this nature. I can't tell you what to do, but it seems that for all the discussion on PUL, that an application of it to this matter might prove to be useful. Can you imagine that you could be wrong? Can you imagine that your comments can be damaging to others? What kind of comment does the least harm? I can tell you that from my pov - your current approach seems not pure (based on the limits and distortions of individual ignorance), and not unconditional (ie others' choices must meet your conditions in order to be accepted in oneness). And that is not love - certainly not PUL. It may be some kind of moral or intellectual judgement which tends toward divisiveness. Good for debates that end in fights and hurt feelings, but is that your intention for participation here? I don't think so because I've seen plenty of your posts that do not do this and they are very inspiring to me and I am sure others as well, but when you begin to insert "that other stuff", imo you are undermining your own effectiveness and credibility (must you say those things to make your points?), as well possibly discouraging and doing damage in some way to others, especially new people with less experience.

recoverer said, Quote:
This is a public forum. People do at times state when they don't believe what a source of information has to say. In fact, this is how this thread started out. I believe it was fine for Alan to write what he wrote. If we humans can't discuss our varying ideas, where does this leave us?.

I agree. That's why I bring all this up. Also, these discussions can never imo establish any "objective truth" by debating. Nobody is ever going to win nor is that really the point for a forum such as this. If anything, these discussions serve as much or more to reveal issues within the process of seeking and searching itself.

It is fine to reveal one's belief's: "I don't believe this" , "I do believe that", "These are my beliefs.", "Those are not my beliefs".
But unfortunately that is not what is being discussed now.

recoverer said, Quote:
Ultra, why is it that you're so defensive about this? I've become defensive when people have said things about Christ that seem to minimalize his role. In some ways it was wrong for me to do so, because for the most part the people who have done so, seem to be loving people who have good intentions. They are mainly people who have been turned off by the things you see in fundamentalism, just as I have been turned off by fundamentalism.

I think I am being pro-active and not defensive.
My position is the same on Christ, Chinmoy, ACIM, Osho, Seth, Elias, Urantia, Hilarion, you name it. If it works for somebody - anybody, even one person, it is not my right to disparage. Especially if they tell me it helped them. We could talk about the content though without having to insult peoples choices and interests....Believe me, there are plenty of sources people use that I do not have a high opinion of, and.....that is why I simply do not use those sources.. In many cases I established my opinion not by arguing on a discussion forum and letting other people mediate my awareness by disparaging the source, but by directly investigating the products of those sources and determining the merit for my own search directly. Amazingly, even in the cases of things I ended up having the lowest regard for, I still think I was able to learn something positive and useful from the exposure. Some even played the role of "stepping stones" at one time and I no longer use them - not because they were "fake", but because I have simply moved on in those cases.

If another person is finding merit and utility in those same sources at this time in THEIR life at this moment, who am I to discourage them? Is that an expression of PUL? I seriously do not think so. Why should I disparage someone's quest by essentially saying, "You know, what you like and use is fake. The inspiration, the progress, the positive shifts you are experiencing are really not valid as a result. In fact, you are not even having them because I don't like your source. I know this and you don't. This is why I am telling you - out of my goodness". This is too big of a responsibility - It is a very complex landscape with first of all and encompassing everything else that follows: God's Will in and through any person,  soul promises, karmic connections, debts and liabilities, aspirations, degrees of receptivity and capacity, free will, etc. Are you really wanting to get involved in that? Personally, I want to trust that the divine within anyone's search will guide them, even if they make "mistakes", which is also not my call.

From a less philsophical pov and related to forum function, I think if you want to approach your premise more constructively, and if it is such an urgent matter to warn others (perhaps because you do not trust that the divine is operating within them (as in reverance for all beings) - you could simply start threads called:   "__X__ is a fake",  and then the discussion could proceed directly in that course without having to "railroad" so many threads off topic. As you can see by my off-topic response to you, I am not averse to such explorations. Maybe others would not find them distasteful either. But that particular exploration was not the original intention of the threads I introduced passages of text into, or simply discussed issues brought up without making external references.  Either that - or please be intellectually honest enough to make the effort to actually read and comment on the quoted passage itself as it pertains to the discussion once in a while, instead of having to assasinate the author of the passage as a substitute.  

This brings up a related issue - that of "thought police". People need to realize that this concept "swings both ways". What I mean is that when someone introduces on-topic, relevant, responsive quotes/links/referencess to text from authors they use and are inspired by, and the repeated response is an attack on the author (or even the poster, accused of "promoting" certain authors) without any attempt to discuss the actual material itself as it applies to the thread, this has a potentially conditioning effect on anybody who might want to post or refer to passages from any source. One may begin at some point to feel guilty, apologetic or hesitant and not even try to make a sincere contribution based on what their individual experience encompasses, because they have seen or experienced this kind of response to theirs or others' contribution -ie: it was not treated with due respect. There are whole long threads that exemplify this point.  

recoverer said, Quote:
Please notice the chronology on this thread, and realize that I started out by saying very little about false gurus. I did so for a constructive purpose. I didn't say more until you became involved. Was it unreasonable for me to respond in some way?.

I agree with you up to a point. The initiating impetus for this aspect of the discussion was your positing the following premise:
That: "gurus who point to themselves are necessarily fake", or something similar. My response to that premise was my very first post in this thread in which I took the ball and ran with it a little, also for a constructive purpose, in which I never mentioned Chinmoy - in another instance of initiating a certain direction that is - diverting topic to accuse sources not liked as being fake. Well, like they say in the lawyer shows: "You opened the door counselor. I'll allow it". I was simply being responsive to your direction, but also had to divert that part of the discussion into off- topic for those reasons mentioned above, something that should also speak illustratively to the issue at hand.

One last thing. After I read the post I am now responding to, I was wondering what to make of it and asked for some assistance. I went for a long walk and returned some stuff at a store. On the way back I found myself walking not too far behind a fairly young dad and his todler son, who was so young he was barely able to hold the bat and ball and walk at the same time. (I guess they were going to a nearby school yard). As I got closer I heard the young boy asking his father to teach him how to play baseball. When he said this we were all passing in front of a house where there was an old "grandpa" type of guy in his front yard puttering around, who also heard the boy say this. The old man immediately said, "Your dad is the best baseball teacher in the whole world". The dad smiled, acknowledging the man. Now, from a so-called objective, moral, ethical pov, a great fraud had been perpetrated: Grandpa lied, the boy was mislead, and dad on behalf of his huge ego accepted the false flattery making him comlplicit in the fraud against his son at the boy's own expense. But from a pov of PUL, everybody was a winner, even me who witnessed the whole thing which I was grateful for, because it seemed to sum up this whole dilemma.

- u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #36 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:40am

Hi Sterneeksplosjon,

Sorry for the delay -
You are welcomed and thank you for being so generous yourself.
...So much politeness - I feel I must be more cynical now...haha.....
Some more comments/impressions based on what you wrote:

You have shared a lot in an open way that must have a common characteristic with how you approach life - yes?
I cannot comment on the specific things you mentioned, but according to what you wrote, it seems you have done and are doing many things and are not afraid to search at all - AND - you listen to your inner feelings. That takes courage, persistence, openmindedness.

What kind of standard are you judging yourself by? Relax - let God do the judging. Oh, right....hmmm.
But do you get what I am saying? Why be so hard on your self?  

Maybe your fear of death is associated with a difficult episode from your "past" or "other" lives which is much influencing your consciousness now. You mentioned dave_a_mbs. It is too bad he is not here now as he could probably say many helpful things about this as it is his expertise if that is indeed the issue. I don't know. But also you could sit down and meditate on it yourself. I'll bet you probably have done this. Also, your exploration of Bruce's material represents the classic constructive approach of directly investigating and learning about what we fear so as to see about the unknown element of it, transforming it into the known.      Related to that, here is a radical idea, a creative exercise/thought experiment to remove fear. Pretend you are already dead, and are now in the afterlife at this moment. A pervasive and persistent fear of death has the effect of killing life anyway, right? So, just pretend you are dead now, in the afterlife, and there are no problems - and just live. Try this in the imagination for a day and see how it alters your reality. See? - how bad is it? Not that bad. Afterall, Life is really the "afterlife" of the afterlife if you get what I am saying (even though that statement implies reincarnation). If you don't believe in that afterlife, then at least believe in this one. So just switch them in your consciousness. it is your consciousness that has the continuity through all the afterlives, afterlives, and afterlives - see?

Perhaps because of certain cultural, religious, social, etc. conditioning or whatever, many people think there are only 2 ways to operate and they end up "ping-ponging" anxiously between them thinking one will relieve the other: Either rigid, rational seriousness, which becomes very stressfull leading to a reaction ---> its polarity in:  careless thoughtless "entertainment" which turns out is not always so relaxing, and can sometimes be destructive, or empty. Since neither is fulfilling people get anxious or depressed. Just because you take life "seriously" does not mean that relaxing the mind, nerves, expectations, self-judgement, etc - or having humor, joy, sweetness etc. are not within and part of that seriousness. Then things can "flow" better without the reactive bouncing back and forth which causes so much stress and depression. I have no idea if this is your situation. I am just offering ideas to you.

Speaking of relaxing...
Is it true what they say about the stereotyped brooding Scandinavian?
If so, then try immediately getting yourself to this focus level: the hill towns of Tuscany!!  
And speaking of other countries -
It never ceases to amaze me as an "ignorant American", how many people from other countries have such a great command of the English language that they can intelligently participate in a forum such as this one, while I can barely spell "Stjerneeksplosjon". I saw some discussion on changing that name. I hope you keep it so I can practice my very limited Norwegian vocabulary of this one word.

Apparently you are very active, more than you may realize -- the issue then may be more about: in what light do you see your own search process - as in negative/positive or, in expecting, demanding certain results in a form that may be predefined, thus not allowing to see the new within what is happening. In other words  - all that stuff you mentioned in your post that you have been doing is all part of your search. You have not been failing in your search. Failure means not doing anything and you have been doing many things. That is the searching.

The main thing is to just persist with a positive attitude - which becomes in itself the result - regardless of what form it takes. It will always lead to something, because in a sense, it is the movement itself that is the goal. This concept is not always so obvious, for one thing because of deep-seated cultural, moral, ethical contitioning about what constitutes "work", "progress", "success","result", "value", etc. for humans in our culture. The meanings of these concepts shift when applied in a spiritual context vs. a mundane social and economic one. This can take some getting used to - as in "acclimatizing" to new spiritual life definitions like the way mountain climbers have to spend time at "altitude" to adjust to new conditions.

If you read biographies of spiritual and creative people, even the most developed who had great achievements went through "dry periods" or periods of great confusion - as preparation occurs and consciousness shifts and expands, dipping a toe, then a foot, etc., into the unfamiliar. Periods of culmination when there is new awareness, are the results of sometimes much, much longer periods of preparation, sometimes and often unconsciously so, when the confusion seems the worst, because one is exploring things that are so new and unfamiliar that one does not even recognize "it" - ie: the activity, the purpose (as defined by the rational mind) -- but the internal guidance has lead one and placed one into the right context with the appropriate "problems" to work through and solve, and why it is absolutely essential to maintain a cheerful positive openminded attitude no matter what happens. As a very extreme example, look what happened to Nelson Mandela - 27 years in prison, torture, etc. but he kept such a consistent positive attitude that the racist guards could not help but grow to respect and admire him. They even sought his council. That was the "unseen" preparation for a Nobel prize and transformative leadership of an entire country, and world class example of human dignity. No doubt he is a very unusual and gifted soul, but the point is - imagine if he had become cynical?

On the other side of preparation periods and their culminations are those of assimilation where the meaning of those explorations and preparations once accomplished and revealed must get incorporated into the practical life, leading again to the next cycle. Notice, no mention in all of this of frustration - which comes from expectation. Better to do your best and accept the results than to expect outcomes and get frustrated which can lead to cynicism. Try to remain cheerful/positive while active in searching with an open mind and heart and do not expect or judge outcomes. That is a practical way to keep a positive attitude which is not an artificial contrivance but simply a powerful practical tool to alter reality for more abiding satisfaction.

As part of the above mentioned "confusion mode", it is very common for seekers to have gone through a period where they appear to themselves to be "crashing around" seemingly almost arbitrarily hopping from one thing to another - practice, interest, affiliation, reading, teachers, relationships, all kinds of things - on and on. This can last for years, but is then mostly seen in retrospect as a very thorough exposure, screening, testing and eventual narrowing of focus. It can be at the beginning of a life or part of a new chapter within life midstream. No one is the same, but many do experience some form of this.

Ritual and ceremony means an active form of outer sameness - externally applied conformity no matter what the inner "weather". Of course that can be boring because it is intractably unresponsive to immediate inner need which may change. For my own needs, that seems too much part of 'old school religion'. But maybe some need this as part of establishing discipline, absorbing the symbolic content of the ritual though reiteration,  or just in learning what conformity is......Regular practice on the other hand can also mean discipline as in regular application to some principle, just like we eat and sleep every day, but that does not mean we have to eat the same thing every day or have the same dreams every night - ie: allowing for spontaneous responsive adjustment. There is a difference.

As to patience in meditation: I have made meditation a cornerstone of my practice and consider it essential, as do many.
It takes time and patience to develop it, and this development is a continuous process that never ends. There is an old story about a man who was having trouble meditating and went to a master for help. Perhaps in a variation of a man going to the doctor and being told, "Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.", the master said, "Keep meditating everyday and come back to see me in three years". This illustrates the relative scope of the issue. It takes time and patience, but that is the beauty of doing a little bit each day. On a practical level, meditation does not have to, nor should it be boring or ritualistic/ceremonial. There are many many forms, and even in a regular personal practice, how it is done can change according to need on a day to day basis - especially until one may find a particular "type" that intuitively feels right or more urgent at any given time.  One can even induce meditative states while walking. I usually do this in the evening around dusk as there is peace at that time. But there needs to be when doing this a calm deliberate vigilant "mindfulness" of the process and re-focusing when distraction happens. If it is a physical/restlessness issue, assuming you are interested in persuing further - - you might try a daily aerobic type of exercise, like running, cycling or swimming, or take longer walks if you have the time -  just something to use the "vital life energy"in a dynamic way so that restlessness can be calmed down. Those things approached with a certain attitude in themselves can be very transformational as much as meditation. At a time in my life when I was going through what you seem to be experiencing, before I had any kind of "practice" as I would define it now (or regular "work" work for that matter), I used to put some money in my pocket and just go walking into oblivion for hours and hours, even the better part of a day - really far, with no plan, direction or destination (well, eventually I got back home). I know wanderer types who did this and have not yet returned. One guy went out to "go buy a pack of cigarettes" and on a whim,  just kept going and never stopped. Point is - it is amazing how the lack of structure, confinement or expectation gives a new orientation and frees and relaxes the mind. Then later, as a result of the open search, a need for some structure may occur, but then it is based on some authentic internal need as revealed, and not some external (and therefore arbitrary) imposition or expectation.

Imo, it really does matter who you associate with. Inspiring people who are doing inspiring things will light up and support your own inspiration and encourage a positive search process because that is what they are doing themselves. It is another form of conditioning - who and why you associate with others. Likewise people with negative intent, no matter how skillful and clever they may be will drag you down. I once heard a very good artist say, "You know, when I show my work with bad artists it just doesn't look good". Also by exposing to positive people who are looking for truth, you get a much bigger perspective in and through others' eyes, which helps you to see you are not alone in what you are doing, that others are having the same problems, that others have solved similar problems (and how), etc. These people are out there and they are all thinking the same thing: "Am I strange? Am I the only one who thinks like this, or is interested in this?" It is what happens when elements of consciousness that are latent and dormant begin to wake up, then everybody wants to get together to compare notes and work on the new thing.

This can also be a part of the role that reading plays within the same function. (If you can't find those inspiring examples of people in the "real world" at the moment - then read about them, listen to radio interviews with them, see films, etc. That will set the stage for the real ones to enter because your energy in recognizing what you need and what interests you in others will resonate and attract similar ones in the physical.) That can be very re-assuring and why people seek others with common interest  - you just need to discrimminate more and more clearly what those interests are, and choose more and more consistently and carefully who else matches those requirements.  

Final comments:
On crying etc. - could be a sign of heart opening/more direct soul contact. Sometimes this is the way the soul makes a forceful appearance, when the mind has previously been doing "all the talking". Or it is the resulting symbol through emotion that a message of the soul has actually been listened to. It means a response to feeling oneness with others' experience - as in empathy/identification - or in recognizing and appreciating powerful archetypal symbols as within oneself (otherwise how would you recognize them?) instead of mentally dismissing or trivializing them as something external you don't need to, or want to  pay much attention to. It also means identifying with others' suffering as well, because that is part of acceptance of the whole, vs a projection of the particular onto the general.

Also, I have no idea how much "free time" you have, but what about other explorations of creative thinking like art, music, writing etc. -  they are great ways to open heart and develop intuition, etc.

Based on what you now say, maybe not "Jnana", but maybe you are more of a "bhakti" (devotional) person. Even though these designations are somewhat artificial, and they overlap, and eventually all converge - people may at times have one or another of these attributes dominant or need to explore it even though nobody is purely one or another.  If you look up "bhakti" on wiki you will see a decidedly Indian orientation, however "devotion" as an approach is also exemplified in the West through Christianity, even though they too have elements (like the Jesuits) that embody a more Jnana approach. A negative manifestation of devotion is fanaticism ("my way is the only way") and that is also evidenced by Christianity at times. Buddhism, even Judaism seems more Jnana, more philosophical, in their positive expressions.  

Hope there are a few useful ideas here in all this rambling.
Really, you are not alone in what you are going through.
Best regards,

- u

- Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #37 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 12:23pm

Ultra:

I have only one more thing to say. I believe it is possible for a person to reach the point where they can determine whether a source of information is what it claims to be. All a person has to do is try. A hard thing to do if a person is intent on coming up with justifications and rationalizations for the source they want to defend. I know of people who have found the same as me. They aren't negative people. They are people who through experience have learned the hard way. Perhaps sometimes it is okay for them to share their experience with others. What a sad World this World would be if we couldn't share our experience with others.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2008 at 8:05pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #38 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:54pm

recoverer said Quote:
I have only one more thing to say. I believe it is possible for a person to reach the point where they can determine whether a source of information is what it claims to be. All a person has to do is try. A hard thing to do if a person is intent on coming up with justifications and rationalizations for the source they want to defend. I know of people who have found the same as me. They aren't negative people. They are people who through experience have learned the hard way. Perhaps sometimes it is okay for them to share their experience with others. What a sad World this World would be if we couldn't share our experience with others.

recoverer,

In some very real sense this World is already a sad World, and has been for a long time. This is not a "would be" proposition. Just look around. Likewise, we've already been "sharing these experiences" and "learning the hard way" with others for millenia - and in the same sense, that has been profoundly, painfully dissatisfying.

Then, ask yourself - why?

I do not think it is because of some "boogeyman" outside of ourselves.
Perhaps it is because our own ignorance is the thing being rationalized, defended, and even cherished. Fortunately, each one of us gets to "reach the point" where we choose to change that, yet we all share the results of those choices as well.

So as you can see, I am 100% in agreement with you.

- u

ps - I am also inclined to terminate this particular vein of discussion, unless you want to introduce anything new, since many key points have now been clearly established and reiterated numerous times.

- Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #39 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 2:39pm

Ultra:

Nothing more to say. Some would say that even though it is okay for people to share their experience with others, it isn't okay to share one's extensive experience with gurus.

I do appreciate your interest in standing up for that which you believe to be divine. Nothing wrong with that.

If you ever see me refer to a source you know to be false, feel completely free to tell me.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008 at 8:18pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.