Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Biblical Fables? (Read 12811 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Biblical Fables?
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 1:40pm

Doesn’t it all come down to what is in the eye of the beholder?  To me the Bible is filled with love and inspiration, as well as great sadness.  It is the history of people, their trials, tribulations and struggle in living life, but most of all it is about their relationship with God, nature, others and themselves.

Bottom line is “choose love” to overcome all obstacles.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Well and succinctly put Kathy.
And now I will take the liberty to say in thousands of words (ugh) what you said nicely with very few:

recoverer said, Quote:
Hogwash comes in many forms. For example, I was into the guru scene for quite a while, and there are so many fake gurus it's ridiculous. In many cases people are better off being involved in some form of religion that some guru's cult.  At least ways Christian preachers refer to God and Christ,  unlike gurus who point to themselves.

Hi recoverer,

That is a relatively short passage, but it is nevertheless quite loaded.
Now I really need some clarification on hogwash.
Or, can we at least now clean the pearls after they have been cast?

Regarding fake "gurus who point to themselves",
Isn't Jesus Christ the Guru Who pointed to Himself and said,
"I am Alpha and Omega",  "I am the Way and the Goal", "I and my Father are One", etc.?
Can you think of a few more???

Now recoverer, do you even read or think about what you write about your own Guru? According to your evidently confused and hyper-simplistic fake-guru detector template, your own Guru, the Christ is a fake. Why undermine your own support? That might become a painfully conflicted life path, don't you think?

Would you therefore as you imply, as a healthy alternative to the 'fake guru', follow any 'ordinary preacher' who says "Christ is Lord" regardless of their spiritual achievment or lack thereof, simply because the word "preacher" has a different ethno-cultural origin than the word "guru"? What is the functional difference anyway if they are both below your required standard - as in "fake"?
But before you send a check to Pat Robertson -

Wait - listen. How does this sound?
Christ is a fake because he pointed to Himself.
Preachers are not fake because they point to Christ.
All 'gurus' are fake because they are not Jesus.
Christ is somehow not thought of as a Guru even if he actually is to millions.
And, an additional note to add to the confusion:
Some Gurus have embodied the Christ Principle even if their name/form/personality was not Jesus of Nazereth.  
Judas' Priest!!
Yes, hogwash comes in many forms.
It is pretty ridiculous isn't it?

Albert, you may think you left, but are still very much in the guru scene, apparently.
My friend, you are swimming in it and don't even know it, even if your Guru the Christ does.
Moreover --
You have simply chosen the one form of Guru that suits your currently adapted and evolved belief system needs.
But don't become disturbed by this revelation...

It is of course everyone's gift and priviledge to make their own choices - and change them too as you did, guru or none, and as many times as one cares to - but a problem might arise in making our own choices exclusive of others' same right to choose other forms and personalities embodying the same Spirit by denouncing others' relative individual choices, standards and acheivments within the general evolution as "fake".

Listen to what a wise man once said:

Quote:
Christ was taking care of him in a way that suits him. There are all kinds of people in this World with different needs.  The spirit of Christ knows how to help them accordingly

The key phrase here is "the spirit of Christ" not - 'the form of' or 'the image of', or "the personality of".
On the highest level, that same Spirit is also available in Krishna, the Buddha, etc. - other Gurus (and again, feel free to use the word "Teacher" instead of "Guru" if it allows you to breathe easier - inwardly and outwardly)

Isn't it remarkable how an omnipotent God could descend, take on different forms in different geographic areas to affect different changes in different times for different people according to different needs? And yet, we can all benefit right here and now. How clever and wise is that omniscient God? It's enough to make one pause to offer love, gratitude, and reverence.

Quote:
Going by various experiences it is clear to me that Christ is a key part of divine reality. Others have found the same without taking on a fundamentalist mindset.

Can you believe - others have found the same about Krishna and the Buddha?
Among other things, it is the fundamentalist mindset that regards outer form as the superior qualification vs. the inner essence, and as such, incorrectly denounces other forms of the same Essence as invalid.

Krishna addresses that issue thousands of years B.C. and like Christ, points to Himself, also uttering similar bombastic, blasphemous self-referrent outrages like, :

"Fools disregard Me when I assume a human form; for they are unaware of my higher nature as the Supreme Lord of all beings"
"I body Myself forth from age to age."
"I am the origin of the universe and its dissolution",
"If I should cease to work, the universe would perish"
"I am the Lord of all beings...there exists nothing whatever higher than I am."
"Know Me to be the Eternal Seed of all things that exist...they are in Me."
...Etc.

Imagine the brass fake-guru balls on that loser!  

Quote:
Going by various experiences it is clear to me that Christ is a key part of divine reality. Others have found the same without taking on a fundamentalist mindset. Perhaps you might forget about your hostility towards Christianity a bit, and see if there is another way to consider what Christ is about.  When I did so I found that various energetic blocks were cleared, including in my heart chakra.

If you allow your hostility towards Christianity to guide you, you'll have a difficult time seeing the entire situation clearly.... perhaps you might consider how many Christians have been influenced by their faith in a positive way and do good things for others. You might consider how many people have avoided a lower realm partly because of their faith. You might consider how many Christians are humble enough to have feelings of reverence and grattitude for higher levels of being. You might consider how on the spirit level Christ provides help to many.

I hope you might try to see that one could very easily substitute the name Krishna or Buddha in every single instance where Christ/Christian appears in the above and not change your meaning even one iota, nor would that constitute hostility towards Christianity. In another substitution exercise that might be effective to illumine another level of the same issue: "Perhaps you might forget about your hostility towards"......gurus, for example, by replacing "Christ/Christian with: "God's infallable dispensation to individual human need in all forms"? That could be the starting point for a labor of love that could extend to every possible being in the entire creation that operates as an instrument in an unfathomable divine play of specific immediate need and particular instantaneous fulfilment - that is in no possible way "fake".

The world is what we ask for it to be, all the way from the lowest depths to the highest heights and everything in between.

Of course the mind wants to divide up this amazing ceaslessly dynamic unified continuity, and in the purely material world, division appears to be the way - divide and conquer is the march of success. In the spiritual world a different standard seems to apply regarding this approach to reality, rendering exclusivity, separation and division the cause of depression, frustration, and eventual bitter isolation. In the spiritual life, divisive, exclusive attitudes are probably by nature necessarily at odds with other more essential progressive tendencies and they almost certainly do create internal conflict - or more accurately, they are representative of existing untransformed internal conflict in the transitioning nature, as in a 'house divided'. But I'm guessing that as ego transforms into a divinized individuation, so unity must as a result increase, because the basis of unity is divinity, right? Or, is an increase in unity while at the same time an acceptance of diversity the sadly mistaken evil fantasy of that vast, totally homogeneous, monolithic conspiricy known as "EASTERN THOUGHT"?

People tend to believe what they frequently externalize in speech. This can have consequences in terms of real physical plane manifestation in one's own life, as in self-imposed psychic and physical debilities. We often see the results of that process on the mental/emotional plane right here in seekers who appear fraught with a desperate and deep negativity and cynicism, as well as the less entrenched versions involving the silly derision of what they are not familiar with, don't understand, or don't accept as real. How does that help anybody move forward?

By the same exact token, and in a related subject from this thread, I agree with you that if one doesn't find the Bible personally inspiring - that does not make it "hogwash", especially because others may find inspiration in it. But just like with "fake gurus" - why bother with it in that case? In fairness, it should be noted that the same person who made that comment about the Bible (insertion: As I post this I notice that Star.explosion has more or less retracted and very thoughtfully revised some comments that seemed harsh and according to him, realized them to be not even in his own best interest. Given that there has been some recent acknowledgement of others' hard work, both inner and outer offering here, including some appreciation of my own efforts, I am inspired to do the same and say to Star.explosion that what he has done greatly inspires me and I really appreciate his open mindedness and flexibility in his re-consideration - bravo.) did not say anything at all disparaging about the Christ (at least that I read) which is a slightly different thing. Although perhaps (originally) rudely put - he simply reported finding the Bible not suited for his purposes. In fact - that sounds a lot, no - exactly like some of your (recoverer's) very own adamant assertions of preference, exclusion and denouncement that have been voiced so persistently here by you, in fact - identical.

If so-called 'Christians' or 'fake gurus' and all their perverted and misapplied misinterpretations of elevated and legitimate Source don't serve to expedite you in your journey, why bother with them?
Like - why deliberately order, pay for and sit down to eat food you don't like, or have to pick through to find something edible, and then complain about the restaurant?

Better for one's own search would be to have a look at the lives, stories, teachings of authentic followers of the Christ. Best would be the Christ Himself, if you believe in what He represents, or the same as available in other forms. That is Who I would trust as a Guru. Go to the Source.

Personally, I do not doubt the "audacious" pronouncements that the Christ made, that Krishna made, that Buddha made, nor do I think it makes Them suspect as Great Teachers. But I would look carefully at the statements of "fakes". Why bother with the limited and the limiting?
Well, for one inescapable thing, because that is pretty much the game - to shatter and move beyond incremental limits as we travel along the way. However...

If I am over here shattering limit "A" in my life at this moment, does that make someone who is transcending limit "Q", a "fake"? What about so-called "Christians" who perhaps are not "fakes" as much as they may simply not be following the teachings of the Christ? Can anybody say that they have accomplished that task in a perfect, complete manner? Very few.

Why then even choose and use a word that imposes such a heavy additional burden of limitation on others who are by virtue of their presence here on Earth, all stuck with the same difficult life challenges and limitations?

I think that would go for teachers and students alike, who's "designation" as one or the other may change even on a momentary basis according to the relative nature of immediate role,  and who occupy a vast continuum of standards and capacities that also shift and change as everyone struggles to make progress, which is hardly linear or consistent. If that is true, then where do we draw that line - who's who right now at this moment? Who's the fake?

It is abundantly clear to me then, striking even, that in all this repeated discussion on "fake gurus", there is never, ever any mention of the very essential, necessarily reciprocal issue of the "fake student". That is an absent focus that is not only highly integral to, perhaps inseparable from the general issue of so-called "fakeness", but it is also the one element in that integral polarity that by nature can actually be responsibly and practically addressed by each individual aspirant on a moment to moment basis and according to relative role applied equally whether someone is a 'student' or 'teacher' - up to and including the Christ Himself, who had to learn and assume the role of His Father.

Perhaps it is the application of PureUnconditionalLove that allows for this oneness and legitimazation of everyone's unique path, and the many roles we play along the way.

Remember what a wise man once said:
Quote:
There are all kinds of people in this World with different needs. The spirit of Christ knows how to help them accordingly

When Christ points to Himself, it is because of Who He is and What He represents, and He is actually, factually and truthfully pointing to pure Spirit - the Universal Light and Love which is really the real Guru. That is also the same Spirit that pervades everything and everyone, that we all aspire to, including all the fakes like you and me.

- u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 4:17pm

Ultra:

A day will come when you'll find out about the gurus you like to speak of. It is up to you decide when you do so. I don't say the things I say because I'm a Christian who looks to stick his tongue out at anything that seems different from Christianity.  I gained extensive experience with the guru thing years before I made conscious spiritual contact with Christ or any other form of spirit guidance.  I've seen what gurus are up to since the early 1980s. I went from believing they are "all that" to finding out the truth.

I don't believe that Jesus was anything like the gurus who have existed throughout the years. I believe he was a man who knew about the afterlife, and tried to help people out by passing on what he knew in a way they could understand. He also sought to make this World a better place.

Regarding what the Gospel of John said, don't forget that the words in this gospel were passed along by word of mouth and translated in various ways. I doubt that Jesus wanted to be worshiped.

When I make contact with spirit guidance, I never get the feeling that the beings I make contact with want to be put on a pedestal. They have no interest at all with the idolization business that goes on with gurus. Rather, their messages are about how I can become a person who loves all beings equally. This doesn't mean that I have to become blind when it comes to those who try to deceive.

Going by the words that were attributed to him, the Buddha didn't believe in a God who purposely created everything, rather he claimed that everything is an illusion that needs to be overcome.  Certainly this is different than how Jesus viewed things. The Buddha also didn't believe in the existence of an eternal Soul. Many sources have found that despite the oneness of all, each of our Souls are eternal, and the future that is in store for each of us is wonderful. Our Souls become more and more as we gain wisdom. We don't puff out of existence.

People like Bruce Moen show that it is possible to pass on information to other people without having to claim that one is an "enlightened master" who holds the key to another's enlightenment.  I doubt that Bruce is a man who would want to be treated in the way gurus are treated. 

There is also the matter of whether a teacher's life matches his teachings. There are so many gurus with a way of life that doesn't match their teachings. If you care to look, take a look. If not, don't cast stones at people who are wise enough to do so.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22sri+chinmoy%22+Sex%22&btnG=Search

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 4:20pm

Yes, each of us has interesting things to say, about the Bible, about love, about life.

We can point to the moon and point to the moon, but in the end the light is what we seek. Look up, look up, at the light falling down on our faces! Light is everywhere, and it is everything I need.

Look down, look down. Is that a light I see? Reflected in the stillness, too, is everything I need.

I could go over my life with a fine-toothed comb, my struggles, my happiness, and write my own Bible. It would take a long time.

We cannot ever make generalizations about each other which are completely true. Perhaps, just listen to each other.

I like what Kathy said. Can we care about these people, who wrote these stories? I listen to some of them, and they seem a lot like me. Just as dazed and confused at times. Just as angry. Just as amazed and gloriously happy to feel the presence of God.

Would it be the same book if all the "gory" and "evil" parts were taken out? Would we be able to relate to these people at all? If legends and history and inspiration have any purpose at all, they should remind us of our own humanity, what we have in common.

Then again, I don't read much.

love, blink

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 4:27pm

A late P.S.

If a person really had a high level of understanding, I doubt that this person would choose to label his or her self as an enlightened, self realized, awakened, or God realized being. Such a person would understand that such terms have been so over used, that he or she wouldn't want to have anything to do with such a term.  
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2008 at 8:00pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 6:09pm

recoverer wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 7:26pm:
Some more thoughts.  This is rather simplistic, but I've seen people be Christians in two main ways. Some people really emphasize the fear aspects such as God will punish you, satan is all over the place, and they lose the ability to listen to their hearts, conscious, and common sense. This type of person tends to believe that God wants them to force their beliefs on everybody else.

Some people simply have Christianity as a belief system almost in a background kind of way, don't over dwell on the fear aspects, pretty much listen to their hearts, conscious and common sense when it comes to knowing right from wrong, and don't get into everybody else's business.

If people simply lived according to love and helped others find out how fun it is to do so, things would become a lot simpler.

Yeah, that's my highest wish too. But somehow I think a world full of suffering is more of an ideal playground for the development of our souls. Besides, perhaps things would get boring if everyone was happyhappyjoyjoy all the time.  Cheesy

And thank you very much, Ultra, for your kind words to me. Lately I've been trying to cast off the worst of my cynicism, which has grown quite big over the past couple of years, ever since I declared myself an atheist two summers ago. Not that cynicism isn't important, but let it prosper too much, and it can lead to a very nihilistic and hopeless mindset.

One more season.

IP Logged

Shining

Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 11:40pm

Hello Bets,

I know there are a lot of ways of talking on this site.  I may agree with much of what he says, but I confess it's hard to get through the post with all of its hostility and ridicule.  And I still don't know what it all has to do with Afterlife knowledge.   Huh

Shining

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:25am

You're right. It doesn't have much to do with Afterlife Knowledge, and I'm guilty of being off-topic here too. Personally I feel it's easy to go off-topic on this board because the afterlife encompasses so much, and suddenly you're talking about things connected to the afterlife instead, like for instance the bible. Also, to me at least, it feels like Afterlife Knowledge is the main board in a way, where we all meet and shout, so sometimes you're bound to get off-topic threads and posts.

One more season.

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:12pm

Hi Stjerneeksplosjon,

You know, my comments about cynicism were general and not directed to you personally. Somehow in reading your posts I really do not think of you as cynical, but I do feel that you are very thoughtful, self aware and sincerely looking for truth. So you are not interested in conventional religion? Millions are now leaving that old structure and seek Truth or God (same thing) within, because they have evolved past those needs for a more circumscribed, dogmatic, ritualized, mediated, externalized experience of Reality. That isn't cynicism, its realism. You have to follow your heart, but please do not mistake the once dominant models and structures of yesterday which once served a useful purpose and perhaps no longer do, as a reason to doubt future growth and progress in a totally new way you have yet to discover.

Personally, I use the word "God" as a convenient expedient in communication even though the attached connotations now are very much derived from centuries of religious definition. Its just easier. However, I look at "God" as simply all that exists and does not exist as in totality of consciousness, and that includes a human being which is a very unique and integral part of that totality.

It is important not to become attached to form, and this is what has happened to religion. Present human needs in defining and accessing consciousness, etc, constitute a shift in content making new forms necessary to embody new directions. There is nothing bad in this as it is a natural process in evolution. Religion has just been a collectivized form of what served a common need up to now.

Over the years I have had the good fortune to meet and know a great many serious and gifted spiritual seekers. I must report that it seems like atheism is a very common "rite of passage" in "shedding" of religion for many at the outset of a re-orientation that is basically a transition from religion to spirituality. Not that spirituality (God search) can't be found in religion, but for many this is becoming less the case, and in our time it is now quite possible and moreso every day, to make that move out of mainstream religion without incurring too much prohibition or ostracizing by the general society.

My guess is that your growth of cynicism over the past 2 years may be the result of transitioning into a new phase of life in which you are shedding like a snake, removing old skin to prepare for further growth. What you call "deepening" may then be seen as a "quickening" as in the birth process. During those 2 years perhaps you were not ready to find the new thing - the new form of inner work that will eventually replace the old, because the old was still present. If you look back you might  find that those 2 years may have served as a period of gestation for you.

Maybe coming here to this site and communicating is giving ideas for a new start. On some level your intuition must have guided you here to meet with the rest of us sharing experience and asking the same questions as you. In that case maybe it has actually already become the new thing in itself  - as the living, active individual search for truth.  Maybe that will be the "new religion".

Perhaps your name here is even a better analogy than a snake skin -ie:  Star-explosion: indicating a very instant and dynamical change to an individuated consciousness (star is the symbol of individual being)

From sources I use and often reference here,
I do not have the exact quotes and so I paraphrase some contemporary spiritual masters on atheism:

Sri Aurobindo: Atheism is merely someone playing hide-and-seek with God, while the theist is perhaps only clutching at shadows.

Sri Chinmoy: An atheist doesn't believe in God. At least he believes in himself which is the same thing as God.

Further on cynicism, imo , yes I agree about letting it prosper too much....and from my own feelings and observations it seems that cynicism is a more difficult issue than atheism.  

Cynicism seems to be a chronic mindset that occurs as result of conditioning from a dominant and persistent critical mind. A critical mind works to advantage in some limited contexts, like if you are an engineer, etc., but not so great in the world at large if it becomes persistent as a general form of consciousness in life. Then other more open and flexible forms of cognition and interaction get displaced, dividing and separating reality from us. This tends to become ultimately more isolating, even socially, because it means the prior denial of others' individual spontaneous and free will choices and expressions, and so is an impediment to acheiving oneness and harmony. Since spiritual growth does mean an increasing integration of consciousness into subjective awareness of and within greater and greater realities, cynicism stops that process by continuously dividing awareness from, and cutting off access to the process.

It pre-judges and assumes outcomes based on past experience - the reverse of genuine growth and progress, it is regressive - expecting what is predetermined to be negative, by closing out perception and acceptance of potential positive "surprises" that do create some joy, enthusiasm, newness and satifaction in life. And here i am not talking about a contrived 'happyhappyjoyjoy' as you say, but an authentic peace, joy,etc. that comes from being truly positively creative, and in recognizing the same in others' lives.

Ironically, a lack of expectation will allow even so-called negative things to happen (creative destruction), and be seen in a positive light because then part of a spontaneous flow in the present time, in a unified continuity, in which the truer meaning and significance may be seen - - not a mentally pre-lived, pre-judged, failed and disappointing expectation leading to frustration and worse.

Any genuinely creative activity can't function well that way. Since life in all its forms and manifestations is creative anyway,  what matters is the quality of what is being created. We do get to explore and decide in which way to persue our own individual evolution, but it is much more difficult if one is cynical, and like they say, energy follows thought.

One more note to put the above on cynicism in a more positive context. In reading your posts, you seem to have the qualifications of what the Indians call "jnana" which is one of the main approaches to Truth/God search according to temperament. In distinction to "bhakti" (devotion), "karma" (selfless action), jnana characteristically embodies mental and philosophical attributes as the primary means.

Part of that process is discrimination between what is, and what is not "God" within the movement of consciousness. The Indians say, "neti, neti" - "not this, not that", eventually paring down the perception of reality to its Essence. It is possible that what you are calling cynicism is also a rudimentary form of this approach. If this is presently unfamiliar I would respectfully recommend the exploration of that if you are interested.    

Best regards,

- u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Stjerneeksplosion:

You're not the only person to become dissatisfied with a religious teaching because of the homophobic ideas presented. Check out Carlos Santana's experience below. Was Carlos being a cynic, or was he being reasonable?

Carlos Santana and Sri Chinmoy
"This shit is not for me--I don't care how enlightening it is."

February 29, 2000
By Rick Ross
Renowned musician and multi-Grammy winner Carlos Santana was a follower of Guru Sri Chinmoy for nine years (1972-1981). In a recent interview (Rolling Stone March 16, 2000) he discussed his time as a devotee within the group. His name while a member was "Devadip" ("the eye, the light of the lamp of God"). That name, given to him by Chinmoy--is inscribed on a guitar strap he still keeps at his home displayed as an apparent memento.

His wife of many years Deborah also joined the group and was then named "Urmila."

Carlos Santana was first introduced to Sri Chinmoy by guitarist John McLaughlin, but soon his experience in the group became a regimented "West Point approach to spirituality." That regimen included daily meditation at 5:00 AM (Chinmoy's followers meditate on his picture). Because Chinmoy liked running Deborah Santana ran marathons. Though she once ran a "devotional vegetarian restaurant" for the group in San Francisco Deborah says now they did "ridiculous things" to "prove [their] devotion" (e.g. "who could sleep the least and still function"). She adds, "I once ran a forty-seven-mile race. It wasn't enough just to run a marathon."

Carlos Santana didn't run claiming, "This shit is not for me--I don't care how enlightening it is." He offered his help through music--often playing Chinmoy's songs at meditation. But he was somewhat annoyed by group announcements that these were "Santana performances."

Santana used to describe his guru as a graduate of "many Harvards of consciousness" who sat "at the seat of God." He once said, "I'm still in [spiritual] kindergarten [and] without a guru I serve only my own vanity…I am the strings, but [Chinmoy] is the musician." However, now the accomplished musician explains "everything about [Chinmoy] turned to vinegar."

The guru apparently once preached sternly against champion tennis player Billie Jean King's homosexuality and Santana didn't like it. Something seemed to snap and he thought, "What the crappity smack is all this--this guy's supposed to be spiritual…mind your own spiritual business and leave her alone," he remembers thinking.

After leaving the group it seems Sri Chinmoy "was pretty vindictive," recalls Santana. "He told all my friends not to call me ever again, because I was to drown in the dark sea of ignorance for leaving him." Despite all this Santana still claims, "It was a good learning experience."

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2008 at 8:06pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:36pm

ultra wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:12pm:
A whole bunch of goodness

Wow, ultra, that is a rather excellent reply, and I thank you for it. You make some interesting lines in the sand, and your insight seems great. (I should go to bed now, but this is too interesting, haha.) I briefly checked of 'jnana' on Wikipedia, and it means different things, very interesting. Though I do think that if God exists, then he probably is in everything, or is everything.

I must explain, though, that while your words to me are of much value, there is one thing: I didn't go from religion to atheism. Before I got fed up with my spiritual search, I had done just that, searching, for some five years. I even became a member of the The Order of Ovates, Bards & Druids. But sadly, it relied too much on ceremony, and frankly I felt empty when I did these very positive, yet very boring ceremonies at home. It also relied on meditation, but I never had the patience for it, got too restless. Aside from that, I've had a thousand theories, and visited a thousand sites, all the while figuring it was very likely that the afterlife existed. As the years passed, though, I became less and less certain. Strange, that. The more I searched for it, the harder it was to believe in.  Then, one day, I couldn't take sitting on the fence anymore, and jumped down, landed on the atheist side. If I'd had fear before jumping down, now it kicked me in the face with full force. At the same time I was glad I had decided.

After some three months, though, the fear still hadn't gone away. We're talking about obsessing with death, day in and day out. So I eventually started to climb up the fence again, ever so slightly. I remember the second I decided to do that, I got this crazy headache, like I was killing myself by doing it, as if I had been on the right track, and now took the wrong path, the easier one. That was about 22 months ago. So, an agnostic again, but this time I thought there was like a 1% chance for the afterlife to exist, and I relied solely on NDE experiences, why can the brain still create images if there is no brain activity, that sort of thing. I took a much more scientific approach to the afterlife, and life in general, I suppose. The fear didn't lessen much, I must admit. It wasn't as bad as in my atheist days, but still pretty rough. So, I searched for answers, took breaks, searched again, on and off until this month. In the meanwhile, fear created anger, anger at the world for being so senseless and meaningless. Anger in turn created cynicism. Now this was partly a very good thing. I stopped swallowing stories whole; about UFOS, pyramids, alternative history, ghosts...all that. And I still am very skeptical about such reports and articles. But the skepticism grew beyond neccessary levels. I started to resent, a little, people that believed. I especially started to lash out at organized religion. Which it partly deserves, but just think about all this negativity I was starting to create for myself. Noone else really suffered but me, I've always been like that, introverted and not going into 'real-life' arguments.

The past....two months, perhaps, the fear of dying has for some reason started dwindling. It's certainly not gone, but it doesn't dictate my day, it isn't there all the time, some days has even gone by almost without me thinking about death! And just a couple of weeks ago I realized this, and pondered on it a little. Why has it become less frightening? Part of it is perhaps the nature of the life I live. I feel I'm barricading myself with familiar things, and not finding a way out. Too weak to change, while resenting the life I have. Doing the same stuff day in and day out only works for so long before you're ready to move on. And I for some reason have kept myself back. Not that it's easy to find paths to move on to, though.

Also, I have decided to start dishing out love again. I have been surprisingly formed by this heavy metal board I've been a member of since 2002. When I first joined, I was amazed how cruel people could be to eachother sometimes. And I quickly became known as the local nice guy, because I never got angry, never insulted anyone, tried to look at both sides of a story, and so on. Well, spend enough time with certain people, and you get influenced. I started saying less nice things. I started including sarcasm in my replies. I never really ridiculed anyone, but I let the ***holes on the board say what they wanted. I didn't want to defend the underdog anymore. I did change, became more cynical. I even looked up to the most intelligent people there, all atheists, all great debaters. You probably understand now where I got this atheism thing from, haha. Anways..I wanted to be able to debate, tried to look at everything rationally, disregarded my emotions and let pure logic take its place. It's hard to explain this, but gradually this is roughly how I changed. Or tried to change, because I'm not debater, I'm frankly horrible at political, religious or philosophical discussions. I can say a few short sentences, but to argue and to have this big, mammothy bone of cold logic behind it all? No, that's not me at all. So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been thinking I should just drop it, and let myself become more emotional, become more honest, and spend my energy with things I'm not so bad at. This conscious move is also inspired by me becoming more emotional on a subconscious level. Lately I have been crying so many times when I see something touching in a movie, and I've smiled at more things, and...just been feeling..more. Perhaps it's the summer, haha. Lord knows Norwegian autumns and winters are sad affairs.

Yikes, I hardly know how to end this post by now. Er..let's try and tie up the loose ends. Er..yes, well..these changes lately (less afraid of death/wanting to spread the luv/shed my cynicism) made me come back here (I originally found this place last year, I think). I have decided to 'let go', in a way. To just imagine that there's an afterlife, instead of trying to find proof for it. I've started the hemi-syncing, 4th day today, and already it is giving me something. No fancy spiritual stuff, mind, but I'm impressed with myself how I managed to form pictures of Focus 3 and 10 today. Yeah, it's probably all in my mind, but wow, Focus 10 looked beautiful. Focus 3 was just an endless place with fog. Anyway...if there is an afterlife, this might be the best thing I've ever done. If there isn't one; well, then I won't feel anything when I'm dead, and in the meanwhile I'll have had some fun with the creative side of myself. While keeping in mind that my current good-natured self might be a passing thing, I'm so glad I have stopped walking the path to a possible future me: The resentful, old bastard with nothing to give to anyone. Yay for positive thoughts.

PS. I've been writing for so long I'm not even sure I wrote what I intended to write. Hopefully, this has not been too dull for you. I know you are not my psychologist, but I really felt like sharing this for once. It's like the biggest post I've ever made anywhere.  Grin

One more season.

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 6:29pm

ultra wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:12pm:
Still lots of good stuff

I just want to add that..dear gods, is the time that much already!?!?  Huh Er..I just want to add that I didn't feel like that you were pointing at me when you were commenting on cynicism. And I truly like what you wrote about it in your most recent post, how it can hinder creativity, and so on. It's exactly what I have experienced, I now realize.

Oh, and recoverer, thanks for the info on Santana. I didn't know he had been in a personality cult. He was of course reasonable. It's nice how that the homophobic comment is what made something snap in him. I guess it's because he has much love for other humans. I got some respect for the guy now. I'm not so sure I'll ever be a fan, though.  Grin

PS. Just so we're clear here. If I read about any tinfoil-hat theories on these boards, I'm still gonna comment on them. I still have my healthy dose of cynicism, it's just not overshadowing other aspects about me anymore. Good lord, this week has been a revelation, both physically, mentally and creatively. This afterlife business is not all, y'see, other things have happened too. I might eventually think back on this week as the most important one in my life. Smiley

PPS: Thank you, thank you all for the support I feel from you, even from people who hasn't really said anything to me. I feel at home in these bits and bytes. Cheesy

PPPS: Now I'm seriously going to bed, it's way too late for me. Sad

One more season.

IP Logged

Shining

Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 11:29pm

Hey Stjerneeksplosjon,

Oh I know, we all get off topic sometimes.  I just get tired of the high level of incivility and disrespect some people show.  Why can't we just talk about things and agree to disagree without name calling or treating those with different ideas like they are idiots?

[You're right. It doesn't have much to do with Afterlife Knowledge, and I'm guilty of being off-topic here too. Personally I feel it's easy to go off-topic on this board because the afterlife encompasses so much, and suddenly you're talking about things connected to the afterlife instead, like for instance the bible. Also, to me at least, it feels like Afterlife Knowledge is the main board in a way, where we all meet and shout, so sometimes you're bound to get off-topic threads and posts.]

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:09am

It seems to me that we trip over ourselves when we attempt to explain "who we are" in spiritual/religious terms. We over-identify with the ideas we are absorbing/observing/reviewing/reacting to.

Therefore, we make personal with each other what is already personal to the point of absurdity.

If a belief system does not free us to individually stand up, without pretentions of "better than" or "more knowing than" or other such egoistic thinking, there is little value in the "operating system" for us.

Without the ability to look at another human being impartially, yet with true love....how is it called love? How is it called spiritual?

It seems to me that any belief system which does not allow us to drop layers of the "false" us is detrimental. There is a new being which is lighter, more free, more loving, more real, existing more authentically in each moment.

As we take each others' hands to share our new being, it is not so important now "how" we free ourselves, only that we do.

IP Logged

Starboom

Norway
Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:56am

Good words, blink, I agree. Belief systems are just that..belief systems. Something that helps us get through the day. But to think that ones own belief system is somehow superior or more right than others, that's just wrong. There are an infinite number of paths to the truth. Much like there was an infinite number of ways to Rome back in the day, if you would believe people from back then. Cheesy

One more season.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.