Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topic: to stay on topic (Read 2022 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Topic: to stay on topic
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:00am

Greetings,

Here's a quote I borrowed from another thread:

"As someone who has accessed this site for the last five years
in my opinion it has gradually lost it`s way in that it doesn`t deal
much with the topic heading these days. 
Remember it does say AFTERLIFE KNOWLEDGE. How many of the
postings under this heading actually deal with it? "  by RP

We can all do with this reminder. We need to write our questions so that their relationship to the afterlife is clear.  If they don't relate to the afterlife, then they don't belong here. Maybe they fit this site under another of the forums.

We lost our way on this trying to accommodate drop-ins who didn't know their way around this site. But to keep clear our purpose, it seems time to refocus.

Let's clear the course and stay the course -- will you help?

Betson

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Re: Topic: to stay on topic
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 11:30am

Hi guys. I'm a relatively new member, and while I may be guilty at times of raising topics that don't wholly pertain to experience I too feel that we have of late strayed too much into discussion of theoretical or conceptual matters.

The problem for me is that when too much mind made and largely intellectual chatter develops it takes over (has a tendency to escalate and intensify), and ends  up obscuring the insight that leads to spiritual opening and progress. There's a lot to be said for being a little more thoughtful in our choice of topics, and for allowing the space and silence necessary for insight from the heart side to develop. The resulting calm minimises the possibility of friction developing too.

I'm comfortable with discussion on matters of path, in that I'm not sure that the 'after' is wholly capable of separation from the 'life'. But keeping at least to matters pertaining to personal path and experience would help keep the discussion grounded.

My hope is that we can agree to steer in this direction...

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:12pm

Posting to the proper area and using the Subject box should be good enough. No one needs to look into any or every subject or listed item. I think the page is well laid out. With the numbers of responses to most item posted shows the amount of interest. I see no need for control of others thoughts or actions, or words. If there is a desire to limit what you personally read, do so. I personally love to read every ones thoughts and ideas, views. If something is far "off subject" then it should go to that area. Perhaps, Mr Moen should determine just what "Afterlife Knowledge" should be limited to. The rest of us will have to look elsewhere to ask questions asked and have them answered. For me, anything I get answered here, this lifetime will be of assistance for my personal afterlife knowledge. I don't want to miss anything.   
By the way, who posted this and just why is it here instead of in the "off subject area"? (See what I mean.) as it has nothing to do with afterlife knowledge.
Joe

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:15pm

Right, Vajra  Smiley

And while I'm playing the grump,
I just found out that no one used the peer moderator system to ask for that previous thread to be removed.  Why not--do you think censors run through everything on this site to find stuff to trash?!  It's a PEER  moderator system, folks. We're not the 'good ol boys system' and we're not on the 'Watch out--you're being watched' system.

WE are each others' peers. None of WE have the capability to erase a thread, but we can moderate by clicking on the phrase at the bottom of each page

"Send a Peer Moderator Input email "

It works!

Not Too Subtle Bets

I've joined some other boards lately and I do not like their system of a moderator butting in every five or so posts. Much better that we moderate ourselves and our own peers.

(and you're not so new anymore, vajra. Off the top of my head I'd say maybe 2% of the 700+ have been active longer than you have.)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:32pm

Good points, Bets. I personally do not use the "peer moderator" system as a matter of individual preference. I prefer to hold the majority of my conversations and views right out in plain view. And that is just my choice.

However, this time, if I had thought about it, I would have used the moderator button as a courtesy to George, who had requested the thread be moved. I simply forgot all about it.

I think this all serves as a good reminder that we are a community, and that we have choices. No system is "perfect" and that would be quite an unreasonable expectation to have here.

I think we provide an amazingly vibrant and stimulating group. Every voice is needed and appreciated by someone, new or old members alike. Everyone has their own unique perspective to contribute and I think, in general, we do just fine.

love, blink

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:12pm

I didn't use the peer moderator at all when it was first put here. thought you needed more than just one peer moderator letter to the administrator, and was certain no one else was using it either.
I was mistaken, as I found out at least a couple people were using it.
I thought I had to suffer in silence. I think a lot of people come in unaware it's there, and that they too can be a peer moderator if they wish.
they might assume because they are freshly joined, that their opinion is not important. I think the minute you join this place you become a peer moderator.

basically, the best advice I have is pick and choose carefully which threads you want to develop and leave the other threads be. this place has never been on topic as I'd like to see more experience based reflections. However, not everyone has a lot of experiences or they have forgotten them.
we don't want to be running an exclusive club here as we got the whole world here, people from different countries. It's fine what it is, especially we have all those new rooms added.

blessings

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.