Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scientists confirm out-of-body experience! (Read 2390 times)
jm1974

Scientists confirm out-of-body experience!
Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:55am

University College London

Scientists can now give healthy people an out-of-body experience. In a paper published today in Science, Henrik Ehrsson tells how it is done. The neuroscientist from University College London also talks about the implications of the new discovery.

Please read this article

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0708/07082305

Att.

Juan

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Re: Scientists confirm out-of-body experience!
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Perhaps you didn't read this article closely enough...

An actual out of body experience is not taking place here.  They give participants the illusion of being outside of their body by showing them live footage of themselves from a point of view away from themselves.  Their consciousness does not leave their body, they just get the feeling that it has by watching themselves on the live footage.

Personally, I'm unimpressed.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

jm1974

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 2:05pm

I Am Dude wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 1:25pm:
Perhaps you didn't read this article closely enough...

An actual out of body experience is not taking place here.  They give participants the illusion of being outside of their body by showing them live footage of themselves from a point of view away from themselves.  Their consciousness does not leave their body, they just get the feeling that it has by watching themselves on the live footage.

Personally, I'm unimpressed.

Dude

I am not looking for impressions, that is up to you, I only post the article because I think it's positive that science investigate and confirm the possibility of OBE, and YES I read the article close enough;

Thanks
Juan

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 5:33pm

I'm not unimpressed by you, I'm unimpressed by the experiment and it's "implications."  The technology exists to induce a real OBE; this seems like childs play compared to the real thing.  I just wanted to make it clear that a real OBE is not occuring here, thats all.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 6:01pm

Of course it's good to make some experiments in this field, I'd like to do this camera thing! Of course, as OoBDude said, when the probands could only perceive what the cameras sent, well, then they just viewed what the cameras picked up, with an odd feeling.

But possibly, this could be a preparation for a "real" OBE, maybe even inducing one. Sometimes I start meditative mind journeys by visualizing my body which lays on the bed.

That OBEs, in a subjective manner, do exist, hasn't to be proven, what really would be spectacular is to regularly bring back informations from OBEs which would prove their objective side.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Alfred

UK
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Dr Peter Fenwick, at one of the London hospitals here, no doubt among others, has been doing just that for several years - building a database of verifiable OBE reports from patients (mainly cardiac, I believe). Verification can be made when such reports describe details of what went on during resuscitation, or of other activities which the patient (clinically dead) could not consciously have been aware of. The evidence already gathered makes a very strong case for the independent existence of consciousness - i.e. when all measurable signs of relevant brain activity have ceased. Some work is also ongoing to assess whether patients can "read" information posted up in places which their physical eyes could not see - a sort of remote viewing in a hospital context.

Fenwick is a very level-headed medic, and has appeared on TV here many times over the years explaining his work.

Alfred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.