Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Torment of Teresa (Read 14264 times)
Rondele
Ex Member

The Torment of Teresa
Sep 5th, 2007 at 11:44am

Fascinating article in today's paper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/opinions/?hpid=bottomnav

Either there is no God, or else He/She/It is so ineffable that we can never know Its true nature.  In any case, it seems to be a mistake to assume God has human-like qualities.

IP Logged

Boris

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: The Torment of Teresa
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:00pm

I take this question very seriously. That is why I questioned
Juditha about her alleged communication from Mother Teresa.
If Mother Teresa cannot get a communication from God, who can?
The issue was serious enough so I did not want to accept any mere
alleged communication. It would take something much stronger than a
mere supposed thing, to deal with this question. It would take the
kind of evidence that Bruce sometimes get, or like we occasionally
do get, where information is verifiable.

Much of religious material is delusional in nature. The
characteristics assigned to God by religion are mostly invented by
humans, and don't match reality. The physical universe is harsh and
pitiless and does not run on love, but rather on indifference. Love
only occurs in a few areas, involving family loyalties among the
higher animals.

God is not parental, does not do what a parent does. The heavenly
hosts are hypocritical, teaching love and helpfulness, but not giving
help except in the rarest cases and only to a few privileged people.
God is miserly. Most people get no help, and suffering continues.
There is no justice in who gets help and who does not, it is
arbitrary. There is almost no communication that seems to come from
a higher level, and the communications we do get are usually partly
questionable. Also, no god corrects the mistakes in religion. Humans
must do that, and have historically forced corrections onto
religion.

I just plain do not like delusions, and there is an issue of
delusion involved here, in the life of Mother Teresa.

I sometimes wonder of what we think are acts of God, speaking of
helpful things, are actually performed by groups of higher level
spirits. And that the setup of the physical universe is on a
different base, not like that. Heavens seem to have been built
largely by humans and human values. The physical universe seems to
come from somewhere else, and not created like the heavens.

The imagined God is largely not there, as Mother Teresa found out.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:25pm

This thread should be merged with my other Mother Teresa thread - same story.

For those who think God and the universe are cruel and unmerciful, I see a separation of them done by their thoughts.  The truth is that we are part of the whole, and while there is no white haired man on a throne handing out judgements, the bigger picture is more difficult to see. 

More on this later.....

Matthew

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:40pm

Boris-

You said

I sometimes wonder of what we think are acts of God, speaking of
helpful things, are actually performed by groups of higher level
spirits. And that the setup of the physical universe is on a
different base, not like that. Heavens seem to have been built
largely by humans and human values. The physical universe seems to
come from somewhere else, and not created like the heavens.

I have thought this same thing for quite a while.  We, as humans, can only conceive of a supreme being in human terms.  We ascribe qualities to God that tend to mirror our own human qualities and characteristics.  We have no other way of understanding God.  That's why so many things in the Bible that are attributed to God strike some of us as being cruel and petty and vindictive.  After all, that's how we see other fellow humans.  The Old Testament especially is like this.

I personally think there is some sort of creator, but having said that, I don't know much of anything else.  Regarding what you said, the question is, why didn't the helpers come to Mother Teresa's aid and comfort?  Why was she left in such anguish and torment?

R

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 4:20pm

Can't know what the reality is as all experience is personal and inferential, but as Matthew says there's plenty of explanations around in the spiritual traditions which show how it is that the suffering that is existence in this reality is the result of our egotistically creating that reality, and in doing so losing connection with God.

There's plenty that happens in life too which if we are open to seeing it demonstrates that suffering is a major means of our awakening....

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 4:43pm

rondele wrote on Sep 5th, 2007 at 11:44am:
Fascinating article in today's paper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/opinions/?hpid=bottomnav

Either there is no God, or else He/She/It is so ineffable that we can never know Its true nature.  In any case, it seems to be a mistake to assume God has human-like qualities.

It may be a mistake, or not. Each person has a buddha nature, which is their perfect potential, contained inside of them. That is the God in them. We can put many words around this buddha nature which sound pretty, but to me it seems to be so fundamental and pure that it cannot be explained. It must be experienced.

This is the part of our nature that is nearest to God, is closest to what we consider God.

So, yes, we tend to see God in our own image sometimes. That is not necessarily wrong, in my opinion.

And Mother Teresa did some great things. But she was human, after all. If she was so heartbroken at times, it is good that she had a friend to share her troubles with.

But, if she was in touch with her "buddha nature" she would not have been discouraged for long. She would have felt the presence of God inside of her own heart.

Many people lose touch with this when they are pulled into the public spotlight, or into positions of power. It is difficult to "hang onto yourself" in such circumstances.

Whether she could hear God or not, she was connected to the Source all along. I suspect she knew that. And I suspect she knew of her own deficiencies, as we all do, when we pay attention. Was she listening to that part of herself, and just couldn't correct them? We all have weaknesses.

love, blink Smiley   by the way, I cannot open that link, Rondele, so I have no idea what it says...

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 4:48pm

Hi Boris Got any proof that it was an alleged comunnication i had with mother Teresa,if you got any queries,take it up with spirit.How come you know so much about mother teresa,was you there at the time,dont put me down darlin for what i beleive in,which is that  God does exist and spirit do come to me.Jealousy gets you nowhere.

When you got proof that you know more than me ,then i might just take notice of you. And another thing ,get real God does not  cause suffering,God takes us away from suffering,hence the word"Death"or havent you heard of that word,hence"End of suffering,love in the spirit world",need i say more.

Love and God bless   Love juditha

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 5:34pm

Blink

Try going to www.washingtonpost.com ; and on left side, under Opinions, click on article by Michael Gerson on Mother Teresa.

R

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 6:21pm

Thank you, Rondele. I did have to register, but I have now read the article, which is certainly moving.

My thoughts are that this is all a matter of Mother Teresa's perceptions. She was depressed. When a person is depressed they see things differently, obviously. They feel abandoned.

Feeling sorry for oneself because one does not hear a "voice" anymore is different from being depressed, which she obviously was at times. They say that few escape life without an episode of significant depression.

It is clear enough to any of us that a person who does not feel connected to "God" can do good in the world anyway. But the idea that suffering to that extent is "necessary" in some way does not ring true to me.

She walked and talked with the suffering, and with others who were enamoured of her work. Could she have simply been "in" the world too much to hear any voices anymore?

Again, this article goes back to the idea of the "nobility" of suffering. I don't really see any nobility in suffering, but I do see nobility in attempting to survive it, and in attempting to help others.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 7:24pm

Roger,

Keep in mind that Mother Teresa experienced several ecststic (PUL) visions and auditory instructions from Jesus as part of her intitial call to minister to "the poorest of the poor."  Once she began her work with the poor, her mystical experiences ceased and she longed to have her spiritual batteries recharged by more ecstatic encounters with Christ.  Who wouldn't?  Her ensuing depression was in part an emotional crash from the rapture of those divine communications and the contrast with the depressing obstacle-filled task of confronting the apparently futile plight of the starving and deathly ill masses in Calcutta.  

I have experienced the same depression immediately after my most momentous experiences of union with God.  In my view, this inevitable emotional let-down is a defining characteristic of genuine mystical union with God.  The contrast with ordinary conscious states is just too dramatic to process comfortably.  So when Mother Teresa expresses her doubts, she is merely providing an honest expression of her recurring but transient depression.  Most of the time, people who were in contact with her perceived her as joyful and radiant.  Paradoxically, it is possible to be both joyful and depressed in the same phase.  Her depressed states were a function of the profound empathy of which saints are uniquely capable.  

Let's review how her ministry began after her sense of a divine call.  In her first exploratory days, she wandered all day in the hot sun, looking for a suitable place to serve as her headquarters.  When her efforts proved futile, she was afflicted by heat exhaustion and a growing frustration over the question of why God had not rewarded her tireless efforts.  Then she saw a woman dying on the sidewalk just outside a local hospital.  Though Teresa was diminutive, she struggled to carry the woman inside the hospital, only to be turned away because the woman lacked money.  Teresa stayed with the woman for several hours until she died on the sidewalk.  This horrific experience stiffened Teresa's resolve.  But she lacked financial backing.  So for a long time, she and her students simply swallowed their pride and went door-to-door begging for food.  They then distributed these rations to the starving and the dying.  She would eventually raise the funds needed to provide food and shelter for millions.  But her progress was very slow and any deeply empathetic soul would be depressed by the feelings of helplessness and the futility of her initial struggles.  

Some of the greatest saints have had depressive personalities for analogous reasons.  A Notre Dame psychologist once confessed that modern secular psychology is ill-equipped to get a handle on the higher states of consciousness of saints.  It has long been noted that the melancholic personality is generally far more spiritiually insightful than the so-called "healthy" personality.  

Long before the recent rash of articles on Teresa, I preached a sermon on "The Gift of Depression," and analyzed Teresa's depressive states as tools for her spiritual breakthroughs.  I then compared her growth curve with that of other saints who had experiecned a similar emotional roller coaster ride, a ride that stiffened their resolve to make a difference in countless lives.  My text was Psalm 88 which offers no hope and serves as an eloquent ancient description of the state of clinical depression.  The psalm was included in the Bible to make the point that such depression is an important phase of the journey of saints to deep empathy with those who suffer.

Don    

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 7:32pm

Oh, Juditha, I love you so much that I do not want this to come
between us. I will rethink this. I realize that for you, the
feeling that comes with these communications from spirit is enough,
that they are real for you, and have been authenticated for you by
your experience. I do not presume to know more than you about this.
The burden of proof of a reading is upon the person giving it, but
the burden of proof is also upon the person criticising the
reading, and I have nothing that would demonstrate that this
reading could not be real.  (And I am certainly not jealous)

I will try it the other way around: maybe the reading is real,  and
maybe what I think is missing will turn up in time. This area is
full of odd things that may not seem to fit together at times.

I want very much to believe in you, and to think that through you I
may get access to the unseen, and some answers to my questions.
I have noticed, for instance, that you are getting some backup on
your idea about holes in the sun, which seemed odd to me.
Perhaps you will come up with answers as to why Mother Teresa
received no word. But that remains bothersome for me.

You have become part of my learning experience, in this way: I
regard difference of opinion among people that you are close to is
an area that needs special attention and thought. I have some
strong bonds with Moslem girls, and I have to learn how to converse
with them. It is part of a learning process that if more people
learn, it will tend to bring peace to the world.

I want to give you more encouragement in what you are doing, and I
wish you success.

Much love,
Boris

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 8:34pm

Berserk wrote: "Her ensuing depression was in part an emotional crash from the rapture of those divine communications and the contrast with the depressing obstacle-filled task of confronting the apparently futile plight..."

I have read about similar depressions of people who had a "surrounded by light and love/ God" NDE. Some were suicidal.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:56pm

Sounds to me like an echo from St John of the Cross' book, The Dark Night of the Soul.

However, I can't help but chuckle at Boris' suggestion that religion is largely a self inflicted delusion. I think Marx and Engels said something like that in the Communist Manifesto - "Religion is the opium of the people"  (or maybe it was in Marx's Das Kapital) - and the same statement was used by Mao as his excuse for "liberating" the Tibetan people from the putative tyranny of Buddhist monks.

Personally, I suspect the Mother Theresa, now beatified, simply got worn down a bit. As they say, "When you're up to your arse in alligators, it's hard to remember that the original idea was to drain the swamp."

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

Rob_Roy

New Hampshire, USA
Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 10:10pm

I'd like to add this from another pslam, #22:

"They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death."

While Christians, understandably, tie this to the Crucification, I see it also as another description of depression.

It seems that with depression there's a polarity. Viewed as suffering, it can be suicidal. Viewed as a gift, it can what Don points out, a means of spiritual insight.

It's also been said that suffering is relative, that is, each person experiences theirs as the greatest they know, so we cannot say that we suffer more than others (or they more than us). Since it is relative, it can be seen as an illusion; a choice of perspective: is it death or a gift?

Rob

Thanks, Don.

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2007 at 12:18am

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a
heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the
opium of the people." - Karl Marx      about 1844

No, Dave I am not one of those who rejected religion, as  part of
their philosophical statement. I am ready to introduce to science,
the parts of religion that turned out to be true.

To lend some balance I can point out one part of religion that
turned out to be true, and that is The "Book of Life", described in
the Bible, in which the record of a person's life is written.  The
Near Death Experiences have reported that a record of a person's
life is kept in incredible detail. Every little thing is there,
things we hardly remember.

Also, life after death, and heaven and hell also turned out to be
true. Also, angels, and miracles are still reported today.
I am very conscious of these things.

The reason that I  make so much noise about negative aspects of
life on Earth like disease and natural disasters, is that religions
and mystic people completely refuse to recognize their existence
when constructing a paradigm. They are oblivious and just seem to
say, oh these things don't count. They cannot explain these things
in their version of the world, yet go on acting as if they had
everything worked out. To me this is very annoying. To me diseases,
pests, parasites, and disasters are very important evidence as to how
Earth is designed and operates. To leave them out of the total
paradigm is to form an essentially incorrect and delusional idea of
the principles of operation of this planet.

On this planet anything is allowed to happen, good or evil, and
every creature, good or awful, is allowed to exist if it can
survive. This is not the pretend benevolent god at work.
Conventional religion has never described this as it actually is.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.