Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The DaVinci Code (Read 28118 times)
Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: The DaVinci Code
Reply #45 - May 23rd, 2006 at 10:53am

Hi Gretchen,

Well, yes, I suppose one could interpret my post as “bullying” Don.  Why did I post this?  As long as people are willing to accept or overlook abuse the world’s pattern of this type of behavior will continue.  Don is a fine Christian man with a great deal of integrity and a very loving heart.  He is perfectly capable of debate without abuse.  If he were willing to show this facet of his personality in his debates with people on this site, he could have a powerful impact and gain the respect of many.  Apparently he doesn’t understand this.

Actually, no I don’t have anything better to do at the moment, as I believe this is important.  I see Don as having the potential to bring together what is commonly thought of as traditional Christianity and New Age thought.  If only he were to choose to speak from a position of respectful kindness and consideration for the beliefs of others.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #46 - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:46pm

To Don, about sin.

If a person truly wants to find out what unconditional love is, they'll need to grow beyond the concept of sin.

Why do some people do bad things, while others don't?

If it is because they were created less good than others, you can hardly blame them.

If their life experiences conditioned them to be negative minded, for example an abused and unloved child, you can hardly blame them.

Some people might argue that despite what people are exposed to they still have complete freedom to choose the right way, as if supreme wisdom and love is imediately available to them.

Eventhough supreme love and wisdom are always there, sometimes, for various reasons,  people get separated from it and it often takes them time to get back to the point where they can tune into love and wisdom.

When I see people who do terrible things I don't feel judgment towards them.  Rather, I feel fortunate that I don't have go through the difficulty they're going to have to go through before they become free enough to find true wisdom, happiness, peace and love.

If I can feel nonjugmental towards people, then certainly God and Jesus who are more wise and loving than me, can be nonjudgmental towards them. To an extent where they would never think of people as sinners that ought be damned, as opposed to helped.

We aren't really separate from each other.  Therefore, in a deeper sense when somebody else does something considered negative, we all do something negative. The spirit of brotherhood is to help them see the error of their ways, not to judge and condem them, and lable them as sinners.

Consider a brand new baby. Does a baby think to itself, "Gee, how can I become a terrible person?" and then become one. Or is this unfortunately how some lives turn out?

If it were so easy to "not" become a person who does negative things, there wouldn't be so many people who do negative things.

The true spirit of love and wisdom is to understand that some Souls get lost for a while, and need time and help so that eventually all souls can find their way to true happiness and love.

If you're going to set things up so that people have to deal with the opposites of good and bad, then you have to expect that some people are going to get lost for a while. The fact of how alot of people do get lost proves that this is so.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #47 - May 23rd, 2006 at 3:58pm

Recoverer,

Christian Gnosticism is a development of pagan Gnosticism, which is turn is heavily influenced by Middle Platonic philosophy, which can be very sophisticated and is well worth studying.  The question of the "objective reality" of good and evil (including sin) can be the focus of an elevated philosophical debate.   

My concern on this thread is that early Chrisitanity not be historically distorted in the service of a interesting debate topic.   Some might argue that the Gnostic infiltration of Christianity provided a needed philosophical corrective.  I vigorously disagree with that claim, but consider it a respectable topic for philosophical discussion.  But keep in mind that early Gnosticism is as diverse and contradictory as Christian cults and sects.

Don

IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #48 - May 23rd, 2006 at 7:41pm

Hi Don,

Your attempt to presume that I require syntatic tutoring from you in order to make my self clear and understandable makes me smile. I suppose if I substitute 'are' for 'were' that would less offend your tender academic mind?
Please, I was not writing a thesis there. My language and structure was purely colloquial, and served to place emphasis upon the point I made.
The logical equivalence of the structural syntax of the separate sentences you formulate - 'no S are P' and 'all S are P' posit unequal meanings. The first denies the second (or vice versa).
However, the structure used for the original sentence I wrote offered no other alternative meaning than that that was intended for it to convey. It simply posited the improbability of Mary Magdalene being Jesus' aunt, and for economy, the use of the parenthesis was to set up the identification (in the paragraph following) of the three females disparate sources have identified as Mary Magadalene. It may have been unsound structurally, but the contradiction was resolved in the next paragraph. The intended meaning was successfully conveyed. Your response with belittlement was truly academic and redundant.

Regarding your own self-contradictory statement, and whereas mine own resolves itself, yours does not. The meaning you intended to convey - 'platonic' as opposed to 'romantic' - is not successfully conveyed. You used the term 'lovers' not 'friends', and thus by any stretch of one's imagination, 'lovers' always carries the meaning of romance, not simply friendship. Thus your meaning is self-contradictory, even if the sentence is sound structurally.

Regarding the issue of sin. I maintain my stance. Sin has no existential reality of its own. It is relationally equal with man in the same terms as his history, they both arise out of his actions, out of what he does, how he behaves. Becoming cognizant of this, is the beginning of accepting one's self-responsibility for one's actions: you cannot repent until you do this.
The dogma and doctrine of institutionalised religion would have us believe that the Devil would tempt us into sin, and in sinning, and in being unrepentant, God would condemn us to eternal hell-fire and dammnation.
Fortunately, the reports from the experients of the NDE deny that this is so. Their emphasis for repentance is on 'self', and that it is not God that condemns us, but we ourselves, by not accepting self-responsibility for our own actions. This echoes quite clearly what Jesus is said to have taught as I have highlighted. Using the devil as the scapegoat for sin, is merely the non-acceptance of self-responsibility.

Regarding Nicea: the intimation is that the various disparate Christian sects holding to their own traditionally-held beliefs prior to Nicea, had to have discussed the issue of scripture prior to the convening. Nicea was to set up a universally-acceptable creed, that in itself requires a discussion on the 'interpretation' of scripture as held by the disparate groups. Most of the discussion would have taken place prior to Nicea, and associations would have been formed; it was almost a political process. Nicea was in total indifference to Jesus' adjuration that no other law be set upon His teachings than those He gave. The threat of being 'put to the sword', perhaps, held part of the persuasion in forgetting His adjuration?

Regarding the alleged personal attacks upon you...perhaps, you bring it upon yourself, although, that does not make it right. We can add pride to your (academic) ego, you sinful person, you!

Regards Don

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #49 - May 23rd, 2006 at 8:53pm

Woops--- the title of the other movie that was similar to this one was called National Treasure.
In that movie, Nicholas Cage was also after the holy grail --- a cup-- also with a woman at his side. And it seems that the treasure was all moved to the USA!!

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #50 - May 24th, 2006 at 1:54am

Elysiumfire,

You have the misfortune of engaging a former Teaching Fellow in symbolic logic in dialogue, though logic was not my primary field.   The syntactical schematization in question was often stressed in our logic courses!  Of course, symbolic logic is not very practical.  So when I got a rare chance to reproduce such trivial quibbles, I couldn't resist.   Grin

"lover": "a person who loves" (so Webster)!   Angry
OK, I admit that "friend" would have been more clear.

Your own view of sin is a separate issue.  On this site, I have often engaged in debate on attempts to deny the good vs. evil polarity.   The important point here is that the historical Jesus believed in the reality of sin.

The scholarly consensus agrees that the shape of the New Testament canon was never discussed at Nicea or any early ecumenical council.  The issue was only debated in regional conferences.  I eagerly await your attempt to refute this consensus.  

The Bible and the early church imply that God's love never permanently abandons anyone after death.  Hell is self-chosen.  Universal salvation always remains a theoretical possibility, depending on the choices of those trapped in hellish planes.  Niether the Greek nor the Hebrew terms translated "etermal" mean that!   They mean "an indefinitely long period."  In fact, early Christianity is the literary origin of the doctrine of soul retrievals from lower planes.  I have created long threads on this board defending all these claims in great detail.

Don

IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #51 - May 24th, 2006 at 6:45am

Hi Don,

Quote: " You have the misfortune of engaging a former Teaching Fellow in symbolic logic in dialogue..."

And you sir, have the misfortune of not engaging a former Teaching Fellow in symbolic logic in dialogue; do not assume this to be a weakness

Quote: "Of course, symbolic logic is not very practical."

Yes, I quite agree.

On the terms of contradiction we are resolved.

Quote: " Your own view of sin is a separate issue." and "The important point here is that the historical Jesus believed in the reality of sin. "

What you refer to as 'my own view of sin' is not a separate issue, you brought up the issue of sin, I simply assimilated it into my stance in order to defend against the inferences you subjected my references of the Magdalene Gospel to. I am happy to engage with you on the subject of 'good versus evil', I think we would find common ground between us, and bridge-build where we don't.
I agree with you on the second issue, the traditional Jesus as depicted in the Bible does indeed accept the reality of sin, but then Jesus did not write the Bible.

Regarding Nicea, admittedly, this is my weakest point, and thus I will seek to strengthen it with study. I temporarily concede to you on this issue.

I perceive similarities between us, Don, and that, alas, is my weakness.

Regards.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #52 - May 24th, 2006 at 3:49pm

forgive me for butting in...Elysiumfire but I must make comment that i have just met you. I hope you will not be embarrassed that I say your response to Don is elequently worded..for I myself have never been able to engage him at all.

the way you talk makes me want to throw my book away and begin all over.... Grin

oh please god, no more editing. I see we are in off topic thread..good. I can therefore say whatever I want.

AND THE GRAND ADVENTURE JUST KEEPS GOING!!! YEEEAAAAA!!!!!

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #53 - May 24th, 2006 at 4:36pm

Hi Laffingrain,

I blush at your compliment and kind words, I  thank you.

You know, Don is not an ogre, nor is his intelligence frightening. That he is intelligent there's no doubt. He's earned and cultivated it, and I hope that it helps to bring him success in any of his chosen fields. I'm sure it will.

He is quite engage-able, though his positioning in debate might provide the illusion that he isn't. He perceives, but does not 'see', and this is down to his academic training. He's open-minded, and that makes him engage-able, though he obviously doesn't suffer fools gladly, very few of us do.
His discernment is rigid, boxed in by all those years of learning, but his presence at this forum shows that he perceives something 'other' than what his learning does not provide adequate answers for, or he is simply learning things in order to crush them. I haven't decided which it is, but eventually, something will slip and show it up.

The forum needs him, and people like him, they help to stop people from taking things for granted, and accepting things that are not really as what they first appear. He is right to question things, I do it, and I feel everyone should, too, but Don comes across as being disrespectful, much too eager to pounce upon mistakes innocently made, and he may not realise how this harms both him and his position, and the debate then takes an acrimonious turn, weakening both sides. I'll bet you he is a really likeable fella?

Best wishes

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #54 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 10:37am

Smiley Beserk you are like a Zealtor on a quest!

&&

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #55 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 2:37am

Elysiumfire said: and the debate then takes an acrimonious turn, weakening both sides. (in regards to Don, for whom the topic is now about)

precisely and well said E.Fire. acceptance of each other's viewpoints will cause strength and understanding and harmony in truth and honesty.

non acceptance (name calling, belittling, etc. will cause a weakening of both sides of the issue, if not immediately, then eventually, and serves no purpose for which I can see, but carry on if you all enjoy it.

I suspect our esteemed patron Don enjoys drawing a crowd, especially when the administrator of this board is absent. and so I have no further comments and find this "off topic" thread to be appropriately named; off topic.

I am astounded that over the years Don's comments, scuse me, hello Don? your comments, questions, debates remain the same issues. is there a reason for this non-change? I am referring to Monroe's experience with joke collecting aliens. has it ever occured to you Don, that aliens might not know what a sense of humor is? That they might want to study humans for our emotions and differences? Surely you don't think aliens are going to be just like humans. I already know your own sense of humor is nearly absent, unless you are chuckling away to yourself right now as you have indeed a knack for stirring up things. too bad you can not stir up in a positive and heart warming way instead of pummeling others with your clever wit and perhaps less than sincere putdowns.

Kathy, I saw nothing wrong with your post to Don and you do not bully. you inform. and I might add much better than myself but I believe you waste your time and energy with Don.
I'm sorry, I believe any who talk with Don waste their time, because he's only going to find your weakness and then get you where it hurts the most. He's not here to be of service to you although he may occassionally toss you a generous tidbit and you will think he is kind. but don't take my word for it. find out for yourself. of course many love a competitive spirited debate. I hope it leads to that instead of my prediction. One must never trust a man of the cloth. Religion is on its way out. free yourselves. alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

PhoenixRa
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:30am

Ya know, i happen to believe in aliens collecting jokes from our little ole system, or in advanced technology from a lost civilization.

I take Monroe quite literally on these.   And there are other issues i disagree with Don about, and i rarely agree with his particular personal style, but at least Don isn't constantly saying how full of PUL he is, and then doing the very opposite of what p.U.l is.

This is one of the things i like and respect about Spitfire, was his lack of hypocrisy.  Another person i didn't always agree with, and thought their people skills lacked, and our beliefs systems were quite different.

Alysia wrote, [quote]I suspect our esteemed patron Don enjoys drawing a crowd, especially when the administrator of this board is absent. and so I have no further comments and find this "off topic" thread to be appropriately named; off topic.

I am astounded that over the years Don's comments, scuse me, hello Don? your comments, questions, debates remain the same issues. is there a reason for this non-change? I am referring to Monroe's experience with joke collecting aliens. has it ever occured to you Don, that aliens might not know what a sense of humor is? That they might want to study humans for our emotions and differences? Surely you don't think aliens are going to be just like humans. I already know your own sense of humor is nearly absent, unless you are chuckling away to yourself right now as you have indeed a knack for stirring up things. too bad you can not stir up in a positive and heart warming way instead of pummeling others with your clever wit and perhaps less than sincere putdowns.

Kathy, I saw nothing wrong with your post to Don and you do not bully. you inform. and I might add much better than myself but I believe you waste your time and energy with Don.
I'm sorry, I believe any who talk with Don waste their time, because he's only going to find your weakness and then get you where it hurts the most. He's not here to be of service to you although he may occassionally toss you a generous tidbit and you will think he is kind. but don't take my word for it. find out for yourself. of course many love

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #57 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 9:03am

I thought this thread was on its way out a couple weeks ago.

No one can hurt you unless you give him or her the power to do so.  Someone else does not control what we each feel at any given moment.  How we feel is our own choice. 

What someone else feels is his or her own choice and the only way someone else can have an effect on how I choose to feel is if I give away my own power.

Many times we misunderstand what PUL is.  PUL from a human perspective seems to be something we do; however from a higher vibration level PUL is the ground of our very being. 

Instead of casting judgment and blaming others for how we choose to feel, we can look within our own soul and feel the PUL that we truly are.  Then and only then can we look into the soul of our brothers and sisters and see and understand the PUL that they are.  This in turn gives to us the peace that surpasses all understanding.  In this way we do not give another the power to dictate how we choose to feel.

Does this mean that we condone inappropriate action?  Certainly not.  We merely understand both the love and the fear in another with compassion.

It is to the exact degree that we are able to love and understand our self, that we are able to love and understand another.  The more we are able to love, understand and have compassion for our self, the more we are able to love, understand and have compassion for someone else.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

ParanoidAndroid

Reply #58 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 10:36am

even in the wrong of wrongs there is the truth. this is not for fancy saying, it is a fact when you are able to get to the deepest level in all that wrong.
so...very related..When PUL and oneness is mentioned along, i would hesitate to say what somebody feels is his/her responsility...or is gonna be a contradiction. if there is a man crying in a lonely desert in africa, it is likely that i personally am responsible of it in a way.this is not a random example. something is happening there? what is happening in africa? any news, thoughts?  one night right before sleep it almost seem obligatory that i must go to africa. Smiley i still wish it wasnt a literal obligation that i sont have to travel there?
and no..i true seeker would come to understand sooner or later that finding truth can not be related with letting your mind and soul be burried under the centuries old information. but well yes:), "how soon" would classify one as a a true skeer? i definetly do not know.

IP Logged

ParanoidAndroid

Reply #59 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 3:49am

oh my, if you are hurt, you are hurt.there is no need for getting into winding roads..if you are cut, you bleed..that simple..it is silly to pretend like it is not here..if  you ignore it you seem like a fool running around with his chin up high and loosing hell a lot of blood. when you are hurt, you admit that and you let that who/what hurt you to know. it is that simple..and then you start healing but unfortunately it sometimes becomes like as heavy a burden as "killing a man" for the person who learns about that hurt and ignores it..
ignorance is the key word i suppose. (if i could spell it correctly). everybody has to learn to take responsibilty of the person across or else it is already a hell and will get deep and we are talking shit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.