Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The DaVinci Code (Read 28136 times)
SunriseChaos

DARK IS THE NIGHT FOR
ALL.

Re: The DaVinci Code
Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:05am

Quote:
SunriseChaos,

"Was or wasn't she a prostitute? Did she leave her bad ways to follow Jesus after he saved her from being stoned to death?"

Throughout church history, Mary Madalene has been mischaracterized as a prostitute.  3 factors contributed to this libel.

(1) By the 2nd century, Mary Magdalene is elevated to the status of "the apostle of the apostles."  The chauviinstic times cut such eminent women down to size by embroiling them in a bogus sex scandal. So Mary Magdalene is mislabelled a hooker and a famous female Jewish teacher, Beruria (early 2nd century), is slandered by the invention of a sexual tryst with her husband's student.  In fact, Mary Magdalene's devotion to Jesus is inspired by her need for an exorcism, which Jesus provided (Luke 8:2).  

(2) The early church tends to identify several apostolic figures with the same name as the same person.  Thus, in the 2nd century, Philip the Evangelist is wrongly identified as the apostle Philip, one of the 12.  John the Elder and the prophet John (author of the Book of Revelation) are misidentified as the Apostle John, one of the 12.  Half of all Jewish women in this era are named either Mary or Salome!  So there are several Marys in our Gospels that are easily confused.  

(3) 2 different women who anoint Jesus with costly perfume for 2 different reasons become wrongly identified as one woman, Mary Magdalene.
(a) An unnamed prostitute crashed a disgusted Pharisee's dinner party in honor of Jesus.  She had experienced divine forgiveness through Jesus' ministry and was delirous with gratitude.  She expressed her gratitude by washing Jesus' feet with her tears and expensive perfume and then wiping  them with her hair (Luke 7:37-38).  

(b) After Jesus' raised Lazarus from the dead, his sister Mary (also Martha's sister) expressed her gratitude by washing his feet with expensive nard and wiping his feet with her hair (John 12:3).  Jesus proclaims this a prophetic symbolic action that anticipates the preparation for His burial after His crucifixion.  This Mary is not Mary Magdalene and is always distinguished from the latter by her relationship with her sister Martha.  

"And last but not least, when they tell Jesus about her as she was about to be stoned, it would appear that she was a total stranger to him. Did they purpousefully make it look like that to not make Jesus the nephew of a prostitute?"

Jesus movies like Mel Gibson's celebrated "The Passion of the Christ" portray Mary Magdalene as the adulteress (not a prostitute!) about to be stoned in John 7:53-8:11.   You are right to discern that this adulteress "was a total stranger to him." Like the prostitute who anoints Jesus with perfurme this adulteress is never identified and is certainly not Mary Magdalene who is one of a group of Jesus' loual female disciples who supports Jesus' financially (Luke 8:1-3).   What I am sharing with you is widely accepted as the scholarly consensus about Mary Magdalene.  My theory that she might have been Jesus' aunt is my own idea.

Don

Thank you for that Berserk. Your explanation makes so much sense to me.
Though we might never know if Mary Magdalene was indeed Jesus aunt,  I don't believe she was Jesus wife either.
Besides all the prejudices that his immaculate conception would have brought him, I think he had a different agenda on this planet. I believe He took a human body but He was above most earthly needs. Having a family life would have been completely irrelevant to him. 
I attended a catholic school since the age of 4 and was always force fed their interpretation of the truth without any reasoning. No wonder I lost interest quite soon and Religion class only meant to me boredom and a huge headache (literally). I was so put off the subject that when anyone would mention Jesus, God, The Virgin Mary or the BIble my interest level dropped below zero and i'd make my excuses to run a mile. I feel they delayed my spiritual awakening and I wasted many years thinking Jesus was boring and associating him with a headache. ::)
I suspect things would have been different had I attended your lectures instead.
Thank you again. :)

Peace.

S.C.

I LOST MY HEART. I BURIED IT TOO DEEP UNDER THE IRON SEA. - KEANE&&------------------------------------------------------------&&LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOU ARE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS - JOHN LENNON

IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:09am

Hi All,

I think we need to historically clarify matters. By historically, I mean as to the testaments given in the books of the New Testament, and the New Testament Apocrypha, of whom Mary Magdalene was considered to be, on which the debate is still open.

The suggestion that Mary might have been Jesus' aunt, although interesting, is not possible, as none of the Mary's (3 in all) were not blood-related to Jesus' mother or even Joseph.

The three women whom Magdalene is identified with are Mary whom is one of the women whom "..administered to the Christ of their substance.", and also from whom the Christ expelled seven demons in exorcism.
Magdalene is also identified with one Mary of Bethany - the sister of Martha, and of Lazarus whom the Christ healed and resurrected.
Thirdly, Magdalene is also identified with the 'woman sinner', whom in the 3rd and 4th centuries was considered as being 'unchaste' by the Church Fathers of those times. Thus, Magdalene can be considered a composite of different Biblical characters, although scholars reject this idea.

Some scholars view Magdalene as the unidentified 'beloved disciple' whom wrote the 'fourth gospel' traditionally accepted as written by John. Further significant documents are the fragments of 'Gnostic', and the apocryphal 'Gospel of Mary Magdalene' (see my link in my post to DocM in the other thread concerning the Da Vinci code and Magadalene).

As for the idea that Jesus and Mary were 'married', and that they had 'children',  I myself do not consider this to be plausibly factual, in either a non-fiction or fictional sense.

Once Jesus began his missionary sermonising, the importance he attached to His own physical family seems to have lessened. From that point on, he considers all of man as His 'brother', particulary those whom exercise the precept..."he that hath ears, let him listen"

What the institutionalized Church is really hiding is the correctness of Jesus' message. That in itself is the 'Grail'. The 'Gnostic' texts of Nag Hamadi tend to support his message more succinctly than the traditionally accepted texts as cannonised by the Church leaders at the Council of Nicea in 325AD. This Council, instituted by Constantine, was when the 'split' occurred and sent Christianity down a path that alienated Jesus' 'true' message.

Today, more and more people are seeking personal spiritual guidance, free and unfettered by the dogma and doctrine of institutionalised religion. By exploring other avenues of spirituality and spiritual experiences, persons, by their own effort, are re-aligning themselves to the 'true' message of Jesus. To live their lives as one with one, in brotherly love and co-operative endeavour.

Regards All

IP Logged

identcat

Afterlife Knowledge Member

New Hampshire
Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:36am

Sunrise--They way I was brought up: God and Jesus were vengful and I was to fear them. It was difficult for my to understand how Jesus could love the children when they gathered around him, because the priest and nuns told us that those children were good and didn't sin and there reward we being able to sit next to Jesus.
My catholisim was nothing but putting fear into me. I feared my father and other men. It took me many years after I was married and had children of my own that I finally stopped fearing the male figure. However, that didn't just go away. It took years for my to figure that Jesus and God were loving beings . To this day, my mother and mother-in-law still view God and Jesus as vengeful. The HAVE to go to church, obey the church laws, etc. I care not if Jesuse, the half human, half God (as I was taught) was married or not. My father was a Godly man and he was married.  Most Buddah's were not married (and also were mainly men). As long as Jesus judges me for my merits and is not vengeful, that's fine with me if he stayed celibate. I would prefer that in some lifetime he expierenced marraige. I believe I correct in quoting: I have come many times before, but you did not recognize me.

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:09am

Quote:
Today, more and more people are seeking personal spiritual guidance, free and unfettered by the dogma and doctrine of institutionalised religion. By exploring other avenues of spirituality and spiritual experiences, persons, by their own effort, are re-aligning themselves to the 'true' message of Jesus. To live their lives as one with one, in brotherly love and co-operative endeavour.

Beautifully stated Elysiumfire.  I completely agree. 

Identcat, many people were brought up as you were.  I was, too.  As I child I remember having the feeling that some unseen God would strike me down the minute I did something bad.

I work with women and children that have suffered from abuse.  I see a lot of this abuse being justified with religious teachings.  The helpfulness that I see coming out of the DiVinci Code is exactly as Elysiumfire stated.

My heart goes out to you for all you have gone through because of the belief systems you learned as a child and I'm very glad to hear you are in a good place now.

Much love,
Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2006 at 5:24pm

Elysiumfire

"The suggestion that Mary might have been Jesus' aunt, although interesting, is not possible, as none of the Mary's (3 in all) were NOT blood-related to Jesus' mother or even Joseph."

This sentence is self-contradiictory.  I think what you mean to say is that none of the Marys were blood-related to Jesus' mother or Joseph.  if so, you are simply being dogmatic and ignoring my argument from the Greek text that demonstates the possibility of Mary Magdalene being the sister  of Jesus' mother.  

"Magdalene is also identified with one Mary of Bethany - the sister of Martha, and of Lazarus whom the Christ healed and resurrected."

Wrongly so.  Martha's sister is from Bethany, 2 miles east of Jersualem.  Mary Magdalene is named after her village, Magdala (or Migdal) in Galilee near Tiberias.  Magdala and Bethany are about 65 miles apart.  

"Thirdly, Magdalene is also identified with the 'woman sinner', whom in the 3rd and 4th centuries was considered as being 'unchaste' by the Church Fathers of those times."

You seem to miss the point.   This "woman sinner" is the prostitute in Luke 7:36-50.  I repeat: she is not named and no one knows her name!  Later tradition commonly assigns false names to unknown biblical figures.  

"Some scholars view Magdalene as the unidentified 'beloved disciple' whom wrote the 'fourth gospel' traditionally accepted as written by John."

Uh, the masculine pronoun is used to refer to this disciple!   There is no evidence that points to any woman, let along Mary Magdalene.   Besides, this disciple is never named in the Fourth Gospel.  The fact that Mary Madgalene is named a few times in itself excludes her candidacy.  But the Beloved Dsciple may not be the apostle John.   For example, every time the Beloved Disciple appears, the context provides clues that neatly apply to Jesus' brother James.   I have spent many years researching the identity of the Beloved Disciple.  No mainstream scholar seriously thinks that Mary Magdalene is a viable candidate.  

Further significant documents are the fragments of 'Gnostic', and the apocryphal 'Gospel of Mary Magdalene'

The Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Philip are the source of the tradition that Mary and Jesus were lovers, though neither Gospel implies that they wre romantically involved!    But both Gospels are far too late to preserve historically genuine tradition.  The Gospel of Philip was likely written in "the 2nd half of the 3rd century ("The Nag Hammadi Library,"  p. 141).

Have you even read eeither Gnostic  Gospel?  Just consider this sample quote from the Gospel of Philip: "God is a man-eater" or this sample quote from he Gospel of Mary: "The Savior said, `There is no sin.'"  Duh! Do you really imagine that Jesus denied the reality of sin?
(e. g. The Lord's prayer: "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.")

"What the institutionalized Church is really hiding is the correctness of Jesus' message. That in itself is the 'Grail'. The 'Gnostic' texts of Nag Hamadi tend to support his message more sucinctly than the traditionally accepted texts as canonised by the Church leaders at the Council of Nicea in 325AD."

In typical New age fashion, you are being dogmatic about a subject about which you are vitually illiterate.  As I've repeatedly demonstrated, our New Testament Gospels all stem from the first century and can be confidently identified with eyewitness testimony.  The Nag Hammadi library is very late and historically worthless when it comes to correcting the traditional picture of Jesus' life and teaching.

You are spouting the standard misinformed New Age drivel about Nicea.  Nicea did not even take up the issue the canon of Scripture.   The contary assertion is as ignorant as the absurd freqent New Age claim that Nicea removed the  teaching of reincarnation from the Bible.   In fact, only regional councils like the Council of Laodicea (363 AD), Hippo (393), and Carthage (397) touched on the issue of the New Testament canon. 

"This Council, instituted by Constantine, was when the 'split' occurred and sent Christianity down a path that alienated Jesus' 'true' message."

More New Age nonsense!  You  need to study what reputable historians can prove about canonical history  (e.g Hans van Campenhausen, "The Formation of the Christian Bible").   Have you even studied the criteria of canonicity?  The accepted New Testament texts had to be apostolic either in the sense that they were composed by an apostle or written in the apostolic age.  None of the Gnostic texts qualify on this score.  The accepted texts needed to have proven their spiritual relevance to Christian churches from earlist times and needed to be "catholic" (a word meaning "universal") in the sense that they were relevant to the church at large.  The Nag Hamadi library was never mainstream.  There is not even clear evidence of Christian Gnosticism before the 2nd century.  None of the Nag Hamadi documents are first century texts.

Don

P.S. I just received an E-mail from a woman who has now abandoned this site because of the double-standard displayed by the censuring of Craig.   Posters here often make vicious comments about the Bible and Christianity with impunity.  One poster slandered women without censure.  The hypocrisy and historical illiteracy of the New Age ghetto is breath-taking.  I make no apology for responding to this with blunt rhetoric.   New Agers need a mirror that allows them to learn how it feels to be treated as they treat others.  By their silence at religious bigotry they convey tacit approval, whether they approve or not.  Besides, my rhetoric is always addressed to significant issues.

My real concern is this site's myopia in the face of (1) powerful evidence against Moen-Monroe claims from masters like Swedenborg and from NDEs which refute the patient's prior belief in reincarnation and (2) evidence that demonstates the even the best of alleged channeled contacts with the dead is better explained as ESP.   Do I really need to repeat this evidence to finally entice a head-on response?    

Don

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006 at 10:50pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:33pm

Hi Don,

I shall follow suit in response as you have with me. I'll try to keep it brief.

Regarding the self-contradictory statement. It is not self-contradictory. I state it thus because Joseph is not Jesus' father. Jesus is not blood-related to Joseph by any tradition. The use of the word 'even' is meant to relate this issue. Seems you missed it.
However, this statement of yours is self-contradictory:

Quote: " The Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Philip are the source of the tradition that Mary and Jesus were lovers, though neither Gospel implies that they wre romantically involved!"

If both Gospels are the source of them being 'lovers', how can they not imply that they were not romantically involved? Are you saying it was simply 'sex'? Are you saying Jesus was a lothario?

The 2nd and 3rd quotes you feel impelled to correct - the one of identification - is not wrong at all. Identification does not imply 'is', it shows how disparate sources identified Magdalene with the characters mentioned. Again, you misconsture what I have wrote, and denied yourself a fuller understanding.

Concerning the 4th quote - regarding the Gospel of Mary Magdalene - I will concede a point on this to you. What I should have quoted in clarification was: 'Some scholars have suggested that for one particular group of early Christians Mary Magdalene is viewed as...', I thank you for the opportunity to correct myself.

As you have quoted from the Gnostic texts with snippets, allow me to complete the quotes for yours and everyone else's edification.

Sample quote from the Gospel of Philip: 
"God is a man-eater." 

Full Quote: "God is a man-eater. For this reason men are [sacrificed] to him. Before men were sacrificed animals were being sacrificed, since those to whom they were sacrificed were not gods."

I do not profess to follow the meaning of philip's statement, but even as eccentric as it sounds, I doubt we are to take a literal view of it. It is allegorical and cryptic. However, I can see the reason why you should quote it, for by referential relation, you seek to obsfucate the Magdalene Gospel. I have not read Philp's Gospel, so you have given me something to pursue. Watch this space!

Sample quote form the Gospel of Mary:
"The Savior said, `There is no sin.'"

The whole quote:
"Peter said to him, Since you have explained everything to us, tell us this also: What is the sin of the world?
The Savior said There is no sin, but it is you who make sin when you do the things that are like the nature of adultery, which is called sin."

"Duh! Do you really imagine that Jesus denied the reality of sin?"

Yes! Indeed I do! He knows its source better than you or I. Jesus meant that sin holds no existential reality of its own except in the acts and behaviour of man. Do you really imagine its reality? If you do, you have issues. You, are the source of your own sin, as I am mine. I'm working on mine at no detriment to others, but to profound release for me.
Remember, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" is an acknowledgement of our own sin culled from our own behaviour.

The rest of your response falls into self-opinionated hubris. I concede that you are replying to my opinions on the institutionalised church, but I stand by what I say. It is not 'misinformed new age drivel' as I myself do not consider new age-ism as a genuine spirituality (imho), but at least it is a quest out of reach of the dogma and doctrine of the church.

Regarding Nicea. I am not wrong. Nicea was the first council of the convening of many (but not all) of the various and disparate Christian groups, all of which held to beliefs of their own.
Constantine, worried about the internecine between the groups, and worried of rebellion, brought them together to find a way to compromise  in the agreement of cannons acceptable to all the groups. By the time of the convening (which lasted a month) most of the agreements had been made with various groups collecting together under one agreement, and others under another.
The convention merely debated the points of each umbrella conclave. The Arians (lead by the Libyan Arius) lost out to Athanasius of Alexandria. Even this all changed in the years following the council meeting. What the council agreed on, however, was what has become known as the Nicene Creed - the Symbol of Faith, recited throughout the Christian world. Christianity became lawful and dogmatic, progressively so down through the centuries, against the very wishes that Jesus expressed.

I apologise if by chance I have tresspassed upon your rose-coloured view of the church and the Bible,  and I would advise that you 'get over it'. So-called reputable scholars with whom you seem to align yourself (perhaps for confidence and safety?) make poor substitutes for a needle's eye. I would suggest you align yourself with the true loving precepts that Jesus taught. Currently, your ego is in the way.

God bless and regards

P.S.
This site is not setup to moderate criticisms against the church or the Bible, as both are based upon conceptual ideas that are open to criticism, as is the very criticism levelled against them...it is called debate. This site is a forum, a place of debate.
A greater concern is that of the world's regarding the myopic view of the fundamentalists and zealots currently seeking ways to destroy each other in the name of their religions and God, with us poor buggers in the middle! It is their arrogance that is breath-taking.

P.P.S. So much for being brief, eh!

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #36 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:18pm

First off,

I don't see why Don, when you disagree, with someone, you have to lump everyone into the "new age ghetto."  Personally, I do not think you should be banned for your sharp rhetoric, since your knowledge lends useful information to the forum.

If you had done your point/counterpoint with Elysium, without any of the "duhs,"or other signs of anger, your case would, in my mind have been a sound one.  Your knowledge is extensive.

There is merit to saying that gospels and texts written more than one century after Christ's passing are less reputable sources than other's to verify accuracy. 

However Christ's message for love and service to others is what matters; the place of Mary Magdalene is interesting, but will likely not be settled by debate alone. 

To all you who would consider censure for Don, I still say; "lighten up." A debate is a debate.  This site does not defend New Age, nor classify itself as such. 

If attacks are not made against a specific person, in a derogatory manner, I would not myself censure Don were I to moderate.  However, Don, your scholarly points, minus the anger and new age taunts would go over even better.  Many people, myself included read your input quite carefully.

Matthew

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #37 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:26pm

Quote:
Currently, your ego is in the way.

OMG, how many times have I said that ???

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:16am

Elysiumfire

The New Age thought police (in this case, Kathy) have ratted me out to the moderator.  So I'd better formulate my reply in a hurry before censure.  Ha!  

You said: "The suggestion that Mary might have been Jesus' aunt...is not possible, as NONE of the Mary's (3 in all) were NOT blood-related to Jesus' mother or even Joseph."  

You might reread your wording.  A sentence with the structure "No S are not P" is logically equivalent to "All S are P."  So as worded, your sentence is equivalent to "All of the Mary's were blood related to Jesus' mother or even Joseph."  I know that was not your intended meaning, but it is self-contradictory as presently worded.  

You wrongly imply that my statement is self-contradictory:

"The Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Philip are the source of the tradition that Mary and Jesus were lovers, though neither Gospel implies that they were romantically involved!"  

Can't you see a distinction between Platonic and romantic love?   No contradiction here.   The Gospel of Philip claims that Jesus' used to kiss Mary on the [blank].  There is a hole in the manuscript; so nothing romantic need to read into this kiss. Besides, Platonic kissing was an early Christian  custom: e. g. "Greet each other with a holy kiss (1 Corinthians 16:20)."

You actually imagine that Jesus denied the reality of sin.  Don't you realize that all 4 New Testament Gospels contain many references to the need to confess sin, to repent from sin, the danger in dying in sin, and the unpardonable sin?  And you take the word of a bizarre 2nd century Gnostic Gospel beyond the the age of valid oral tradition over the converging witness of 4 first century Gospels which can be connected with eyewitness testimony?  It's one thing for you to embrace the New Age denial of sin and evil, but to claim support for this claim from the historical Jesus--that's truly amazing!

"Regarding Nicea. I am not wrong."

OK, what is your specific evidence for the Nicene discussion of the shape of the New Testament canon?  And how can you refute the criteria of canonicity I identified that establish our canonical texts and exclude the much later Gnostic texts, none of which can be traced to the apostolic age?  Read a basic scholarly book on the canon like Hans Von Campenhausen's "The Formation of the Christian Bible."  Then we'll have something to discuss.  

Don

P.S. Notice how my replies though admittedly blunt, always address the point at issue, wheras Marilyn's personal attacks, so typical of this site's New Agers,  are purely ad hominem.  This distinction between my posts and theirs was recently pointed out to me in a PM.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006 at 3:43pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #39 - May 23rd, 2006 at 2:14am

I'm not attacking you Don, I'm just stating a fact. You are the one that does the attacking with your 'new age ghetto' rhetoric.

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

Elysiumfire
Ex Member

Reply #40 - May 23rd, 2006 at 6:14am

Hi Don,

I thankyou for your more reasoned response. Unfortunately, work intrudes at the present moment, so I'll have to reply later.

I have no problem with 'directness' in a reply to my posts, as long as it doesn't wander off into 'personal space'. I'm sorry that you seem to have received the attention of a moderator,  though I do understand the sentiment of others as to why you have. I am quite capable of tendering my own defence - some replies might take a little longer to appear, and may be less than brief, but if we both defend our positions (and in the interim be ready to adapt them upon the realisation that one or both of us might be in error) as and best we can, then I see no reason why the debate cannot be vibrant.

I may not be doctorate, but I'm no slouch either! Will reply later.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006 at 5:08pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #41 - May 23rd, 2006 at 6:40am

My husband and I went to see the movie last night.  It's right up there with American Treasure.  --cat

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #42 - May 23rd, 2006 at 9:19am

Quote:
Quote Don:
The New Age thought police (in this case, Kathy) have ratted me out to the moderator.  So I'd better formulate my reply in a hurry before censure.  Ha!

Hello Don,

Bruce asked you to abide by the posting guidelines.  You intentionally decided to test the water in his absence.  This shows the utmost disrespect to Bruce and that is the bottom line.  Personally I love reading most of what you write as you very well know.  You do have the ability to debate without violating posting guidelines; you simply are choosing to show disrespect to Bruce and other people that populate this website. 

The thread where Bruce spoke to you is located here on pages 2 and 3 just incase you forgot what he said, but I doubt that since it was only a month ago:

http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=anounc;action=dis...

I asked you to edit the following out of respect for Bruce.  You chose to “tone down” your post a little, however you also chose to continue your power struggle with Bruce.  You did this behind his back, knowing full well that he is out of the country.

Quote:
Quote Don:
You may have noticed that I regard Robert Monroe as a New Age kook.  Monroe performed dismally the one time his OBE abilities were tested by a reputable parapsychologist, Charles Tart.   Monroe uncritically accepts OBE claims that aliens are here to collect jokes.  He uncritically accepts OBE past life recall of (1) a prior life as a pilot flying his craft through a maze of spears thrown by cave men and (2) a prior life as a novice Catholic priest ordered his Catholic superiors to ritually rape and murder a virgin who just happens to be his wife Nancy in our lifetime.   He reports this lunacy with no sense that all but the New Age ghetto would rightly scoff at such claims as the ravings of an unthinking New Age fundamentalist.   

Yes, Monroe was nuts!  But in some ways, he was also brilliant.  Despite his OBE delusions and his inability to sort out the wheat from the chaff, I do believe he had some genuine OBEs.  Indeed, I regularly experiment with his Gateway CDs and find them delightful way to explore a deeper level of consciousness, though I find them irrelevant to the question of whether we service death or can contact the deceased.  But that verdict may change with continued use.   I encourage you to salvage the best of your Catholic heritage and then discard the rest as I do with Monroe,

Don

I also thanked you for editing the above and asked you to do a little more editing on the following.  You chose not to do this.  Out of rebellion perhaps?

Quote:
Quote Don:
He reports this lunacy with no sense that all but the New Age ghetto would rightly scoff at such claims as the ravings of an unthinking New Age fundamentalist.   

You New Agers so often try to deflect the discussion away from the point at issue and falsely impute claims to your detractors.  I have read all 3 of Monroe's books and obviously know that Tart respects Monroe.  Why else would he write the Introduction to Monroe's first book, "Journeys Out of the Body?"  I am referring to Tart's experiment with him.  To quote Tart: 

To me, this result can rightly be characterized as "dismal" and casts a pall over Monroe's unverifiable claims about his astral contacts and alleged discoveries.   the implausibility of his alien joke collectors and his cartoony past life recall is devastating because he does not even acknowledge how an average person might react to such claims.   To me, these claims fester at the intellectual level of conspiracy theorists who claim that the Apollo moon landing was really faked in a New Mexico hangar. The sad fact that this site's New Agers are unphased by such nonsense warrants my blunt repudiation of Monroe's claims, regardless of the everpresent threat of censure.   These claims are lamentable because some of Monroe's other claims find parallels in NDEs and alleged astral insights of other adepts.  But Monroe's lack of critical discrimination is just another nail in the coffin of respectability for astral exploration in the minds of rational outsiders and I want this area of research to become more palatable to those outside the New Age ghetto, so that the cause of genuine knowledge of the afterlife can be advanced.

Then a poster with whom you were having a previously respectful conversation asks you a question and you chose to “bully” her in your response.

Quote:
Quote Don:
Identcat,

You're right.  There are many views of the shape of our planet.  Some think it's flat.  Others think the earth is held up by giaint elephants.  So it is an open question whether it is round like we're taught, right?

I guess you imagine that the date, origin, and credibility of ancient traditions doesn't matter.  You seem to have no conception or knowledge of which Christian documents are early enough to have historical merit and which stem from the age of countless forgeries.   I have a doctorate in this area and I know what I'm talking about.  There is no scholarly debate about these issues in academic circles.   When I refer to the New Age ghetto, I'm referring to the arrogance of presuming that the unanimous consensus of experts in the field of early Christian literature should be discarded in favor of New Agers untrained in this area.  What a joke!   There are many mysteries about earliest Christianity.   The marital status of Jesus is not one of them.   Nor is the silly and unsubstantiated claim that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.   I challenge you to offer a single shred of evidence for either of these bogus claims from the first 150 years of Christianity.   

Don

And then you continue to make comments like the following in subsequent posts in which you talk down to posters.  I could probably name at least a hundred people that have left this site because of the way you have treated them.

Quote:
Quote Don:
Duh! Do you really imagine that Jesus denied the reality of sin?

In typical New age fashion, you are being dogmatic about a subject about which you are vitually illiterate. 

You are spouting the standard misinformed New Age drivel about Nicea. 

I just received an E-mail from a woman who has now abandoned this site because of the double-standard displayed by the censuring of Craig.   Posters here often make vicious comments about the Bible and Christianity with impunity.  One poster slandered women without censure.  The hypocrisy and historical illiteracy of the New Age ghetto is breath-taking.  I make no apology for responding to this with blunt rhetoric.   New Agers need a mirror that allows them to learn how it feels to be treated as they treat others.  By their silence at religious bigotry they convey tacit approval, whether they approve or not.  Besides, my rhetoric is always addressed to significant issues.

My real concern is this site's myopia in the face of (1) powerful evidence against Moen-Monroe claims from masters like Swedenborg and from NDEs which refute the patient's prior belief in reincarnation and (2) evidence that demonstates the even the best of alleged channeled contacts with the dead is better explained as ESP.   Do I really need to repeat this evidence to finally entice a head-on response?    

Don

Don, debate is one thing, being outright disrespectful to people is abuse.  If people don’t speak up, the abuse will continue because the abuser is struggling for power.  The abuser has a fear of powerlessness and seeks to puff him or her self up by taking power from someone else.  That is not debate Don and it is against this website's posting guidelines whether you see it that way or not.

Your future on this site is Bruce's decision and the result of that decision is your own doing.  You and you alone are responsible for whatever happens.

I wish you well and hope you find what you are looking for.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #43 - May 23rd, 2006 at 10:07am

I agree, in part, Kathy.  when Don calls someone "virtually illiterate" "in typical new age fashion", this serves no useful purpose.  I see it as a shame, because the knowledge and eloquence are worthwhile. 

Hearing that there are only certain scholarly resources worth reading or debating, is a difficult one for me.  One should be able to go point/counter point on the issues, citing whatever references used.  It is clear to me that gnostic works, though interesting, if they were written 100 years or more after Christ's passing are less reliable resources on a historical level.  They are fascinating however to hear about.

I don't think we have to dismiss anyone's points or comments as "drivel," when a simple counter argument and evidence will suffice.  Look, there was a whole thread on Atlantis on the board once.  Magic crystals, etc., and advanced civilization.  Cayce talked of it constantly.  If you go by current evidence, much of it seemed like speculative nonsense.  At least one could debate the known facts. 

A forum is a place to post ideas and comments.  Debate, I feel is welcome, otherwise you have a board full of posters questioning is Casper the ghost is real.

Initially, Don's response to my hypothetical situation was, that none of the proposed ideas about Mary Magdalene would threaten the tenets of Jesus' word or message.  If one is not threatened, one can have all the patience in the world to voice one's view without tearing down one's jousting partner.

Matthew

IP Logged

gretchen

Ohio
Reply #44 - May 23rd, 2006 at 10:26am

OK, two things. Don, not everyone that questions religion is " new age". To lump everyone not of your views together isn't fair.
Kathy, I believe that you too have become a "bully" I feel that you are taking things waaay too personally. By pointing everything out you seem to be overly focused on what Don is posting. Don't you have anything else to do?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.