Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Do you beleive The Da Vinchi Code (Read 10379 times)
juditha
Ex Member

Do you beleive The Da Vinchi Code
Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:13pm

Hi I dont believe for onr minute what the da vinche code says about Jesus had a child with Mary Magdeline. Jesus died on the cross to save us all from sin. Theres always storys coming out to try and discredit him . What are your opinions on this subject. God bless juditha

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: Do you beleive The Da Vinchi Code
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:44pm

Hi Juditha,
Could he be both?
He was also king of the Jews and so he might have been concerned about leaving an heir, not for earthly riches, but for the leadership of his 'nation.' They could have been married secretly.--- ?
bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

LightR_on

Earth
Re: Do you believe The Da Vinchi Code
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:18pm

I really believe , the part where it is said. he died to save us ,to remove our sins ,well its baloney. We are each responsible for our own misdoings, so he could not take away our sins, we have to balance out our own energy or else how will we learn.

Theres so much within that book that just doesn't add up.Sorry but I'd start to look else where for my answers, you may never make it home otherwise.

Love is the key

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Juditha,

Whether believer or skeptic, no reputable Bible scholar or early church historian  takes the thesis of "The Da Vinci Code" seriously.   The claim that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were either lovers or married is invented by the Gnostics towards the end of the second century and is found only in the two historically discredited late Gnostic documents, The Gospel of Mary and The Gospel of Philip.  In other words, the claim originates beyond the time when valid oral tradition about Jesus' life can still be found.  By the late second century scores of bogus Gospels and similar tales about Jesus were invented to gain notoriety and a cult following.  

Still, there are several sayings of Jesus and a few stories in nonbiblical sources that just might be genuine.   The only Gnostic Gospel containing such material is the Coptic Gospel of Thomas (late first century) which consists of 114 sayings of Jesus, several of which are new.  Some of these are apparently genuine.   There are also a few noncanonical Jewish Gospels from the early second century which may contain a few genuing sayings and stories about Jesus (i. e. The Gospel of the Nazarenes, the Gospel of the Hebrews, the Gospel of the Ebionites [Latin for "the poor"]).  The early church fathers also quote a few noncanonical sayings of Jesus from valid oral tradition.   But none of this noncanonical material about Jesus is particularly racy or shocking.

The question of whether Jesus was ever married is a separate issue.   In Galilean culture it was normally considered shameful if a Jewish male remained single until the age of 30.   Jewish Messianic expectation did not rule out the idea of a married Messiah.   So if Jesus were married, his wife would surely be revered by the early church and there would be first-century stories about her life.  So the consensus is no doubt correct that Jesus led the celibate life of a bachelor.  

Why didn't He get married?   At least 2 reasons come to mind.  (1) During His lifetime, Jesus was widely considered a bast-ard by Jews outside His close circle.  Jewish skeptics can't be expected to believe in Christ's virgin birth.  By Jewish law, bast-ards are not permitted to marry a Jewish girl.  (2) Jesus was an itinerant healer who anticipated His martyrdom in Jerusalem.  He was in no position to provide a stable home life for a wife.

Don

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:21pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:33am

Juditha,

Yes, I definitely believe in the DaVinci Code. Of course if I say anything more about it then Donald will challenge me to prove it.  Grin

Love, Mairlyn Wink

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 2:27am

I was just wonderring, Juditha,
if you believed one thing and your church believed the opposite, would you have to pay a fine?
Or if they tell you some messages from a Spirit Guide, do you pay them extra?
I've been working on my taxes--that's not the same thing i know. I'm just wonderring how often we have to pay $$ for what we believe.
bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

SunriseChaos

DARK IS THE NIGHT FOR
ALL.

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:21pm

Berserk wrote:
Quote:
Why didn't He get married?   At least 2 reasons come to mind.  (1) During His lifetime, Jesus was widely considered a bast-ard by Jews outside His close circle.  Jewish skeptics can't be expected to believe in Christ's virgin birth.  By Jewish law, bast-ards are not permitted to marry a Jewish girl.  (2) Jesus was an itinerant healer who anticipated His martyrdom in Jerusalem.  He was in no position to provide a stable home life for a wife.

Sorry but I have to disagree there. Jesus was considered many things but bast-ard wasn't one of them.
The fact that Mary was able to conceive being a virgin was never public knowledge.
She was a married woman and skeptics always thought Joseph to be Jesus father. People speaking of Jesus at times referred to him as the son of the carpenter, amongst other things.
I think it would've been unconcievable in those times for a man to raise another man's child. The Bible also tells of an angel that came to Joseph in a dream, to let him know God plans for Mary and not to abandon her for adultery, so he stayed and the truth was never known.
Besides common sense tells me skeptics wouldn't have believed it if it had been leaked to them anyway. Faced with the options of either believing Jesus' mother was a virgin or Jesus father was the man who married Mary and raised him as his son, I think they would've gone for the latter.

Having said that I do agree with you in everything else. He was never married and the Da Vinci Code is nothing more than a fiction book.
I watched a documentary on TV once where a journalist investigated the existence of the holy grail with Dan Brown's book in hand.
Step by step he visited places, interviewed people, checked historic records ..... the works!. In the end he discovered it was all made up by two french men wanting to feel important. By the way the french guys confessed on an interview on a radio station years ago. Well  if D. Brown had documented that his book would not have sold as many copies I guess.
Apparently, the two men included their names to the list of members of the order that was meant to guard the secret of the holy grail and named the order, using part of the name of the village they came from or something like that.

Peace.

SC.

I LOST MY HEART. I BURIED IT TOO DEEP UNDER THE IRON SEA. - KEANE&&------------------------------------------------------------&&LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOU ARE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS - JOHN LENNON

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:22am

[Sunrise Chaos:] "Sorry but I have to disagree there. Jesus was considered many things but bast-ard wasn't one of them...Skeptics always thought Joseph to be Jesus father."

I'm afraid that is incorrect.  The claim that Jesus was widely deemed illegitimate in His own lifetime is anchored to three facts:

(1) Outside the New Testament, first century Jewish tradition widely disparages Jesus as the illegitimate son of a Roman soldier named Panthera.

(2) Jesus "bombs" in his home town, Nazareth when He returns for a visit after making a big name for Himself as a healer.  They derisively ask: "`Isn't this the carpenter, THE SON OF MARY...?'  And they were scandalized by Him (Mark 6:3)."  In patriarchal Galilean culture, to call a man the  son of his mother amounts to a veiled charge of illegitimacy.
Even if Joseph were already dead, we would still expect Jesus to be identified by the locals as "the son of Joseph."

(3) In a heated debate with Jesus, some Jewish leader snap: "[At least] we are not born illegitimate, they protested (John 8:56)."  In Greek the "we" is emphatic and implies a contrast with Jesus' illegitimacy.    The bracketed phrase "at least" is not in the Greek but helps clarify the thrust of their attack.

Don

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:23am by Berserk »  

IP Logged

flutterbug

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 3:34am

Quote:
Why didn't He get married?   At least 2 reasons come to mind.  (1) During His lifetime, Jesus was widely considered a bast-ard by Jews outside His close circle.  Jewish skeptics can't be expected to believe in Christ's virgin birth.  By Jewish law, bast-ards are not permitted to marry a Jewish girl.  (2) Jesus was an itinerant healer who anticipated His martyrdom in Jerusalem.  He was in no position to provide a stable home life for a wife.

Don,
I also want to add that I Cor. Chapters 6-7 gives reasons why God would rather men never marry at all.  These chapters say that married people are more concerned with each other than with God.  However, this passage also says it is better to marry than to indulge ourselves in sexual immorality.  Jesus had no problem with sexual immorality because we know He was a man without sin.  I'm guessing this is another reason why He never married.

-Bug

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:54am

Oh boy.

God doesn't want us to marry at all?  Yet the desire to reproduce, the intimacy of the union of man and woman (which some have seen as a road to heaven in Eastern cultures) is advanced in the old testament "be fruitful and multiply."

I see nothing in Jesus' sayings that puts any sin on sexuality that is based on love.  When did the church start encouraging celibacy, Don and under what type of justification from Christ's teachings?  Even Mary Magdalene, who was painted as a harlot by the early church or latter if you buy into the idea, was defended by Jesus himself.  Instead of stoning her, he asked "let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone."  So there, if she were a harlot, selling her body, we have the son of God saying to let her be.

Its true, in the bible there are verses such as "you should love the lord thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul and all thy might."  However, celibacy and facets of the catholic church that include the infliction of pain to dissuade people from sin seem a bit extreme (Opus Dei - in the book the character wears a barbed wire type cilace around his thigh that he pulls on to make himself bleed if tempted by something).  How did we get from love thy neighbor to that???

Matthew

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:11am

Woah!

Jesus merely concedes that, for some, celibacy, is a viable lifestyle (Matthew 19:11-12).  Paul reveals that Jesus' disciples and brothers were married and insists that he too has the right to get married: "Don't we have a right to bring a wife along with us, just as the disciples and the Lord's brothers and Peter do (1 Corinthians 9:5)?"  Apostolic morality had a very earthy view of the joys of marital sex,  The Song of Songs was part of their Bible and this document is erotic poetry!

In 1 Corinthians 7 Paul recommends celibacy as a temporarily viable lifestyle without insisting on it.  But he only recommends it "because of the present crisis" (7:26) of religious persecution that makes a stable family life difficult for Corinthian Christians.  In any case, Paul repeatedly makes it clear that he is just offering his nonbinding opinion on such questions and distinguishes that opinion from Jesus' teaching. (7:6, 12, 25, 40).  Elsewhere Paul celebrates the married state and puts it in a grand theological context (Ephesians 5:22-32).  He later insists that a bishop or deacon should be "the husband of one wife (1 Timothy 3:2,12; Titus 1:6)."

Most of the early bishop of Rome seem to have been married.   Around the end of the 2nd century, Manichaean influence caused many Catholics to view celibacy as preferable to marriage.  

Don

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Re: Do you believe The Da Vinchi Code
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:19pm

I thought there was something about required celibacy being introduced for priests because the people were getting more interested in the hermits...probably the celebs of their day....and the hermits practiced celibacy, which makes sense, so celibacy was introduced for the priests, which doesn't make sense, in order to draw attention back to church power. but that would have been later than the 2nd century.

Apparently celibacy wasn't always a requisite even for a pope. I figure they just used the concept  to control the unmarried women. Homosexuality has apparently been rampant in the priesthood for decades if not longer, but unmarried women with children were socially punished, as were the children. Though that may not have always been the case. I always wondered what happened to Heloise and Abelard's kid.

There's alot more in Da Vinci code than Jesus' possible marriage...is that really the only controversy?

IP Logged

Rob_Roy

New Hampshire, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 3:58pm

Before I begin, I am not nor have I ever been a member of the Catholic Church. Since I've gone on about Catholic matters before and someone still assumed I was Catholic even though I stated I wasn't, I repeat myself: I AM NOT A CATHOLIC. Don't take me to task for what the Catholic Church teaches just because I happen to have studied Catholicism, on my own at that. And no, I don't have to be rabidly anti-Catholic to prove anything to anyone when I write about Catholic things. The icon of the Ascended Master Mary to the left is there because I have a relationship with her that has nothing to do with the Catholic Church (or any other belief system). Thanks.

Celibacy is a matter of discipline, not theology. The Catholic Church HAS NOW and has aways had married priests. Before I go any further, when I say Catholic, I mean in full communion with (some would say under) the Pope in Rome, as Catholic as any Catholic in good standing that you know.

Not all Catholics are Roman. Not all Catholic priests are celibate. There are married Eastern Catholic priests. There are even married Roman Catholic priests. Confused yet? You're not alone.

The Catholic Church is a actually a communion of 21 particular autonomous and semi-autonomous churches that comprise the Universal Church on Earth. One of these, and by far the largest, is what most people call the Roman Catholic Church. It's so huge that a lot of people mistakenly believe that its rituals, mindset, Latin/Western spirituality and disciplines are the very definition of Catholic. Only partially true.

The other 20 Churches are Eastern (as was/is the Churches in Jerusalem, Antioch, et al.). Most of them have lots of married priests, esp. overseas in their homelands where there are far fewer Latin priets and bishops to object. They never made mandatory the discipline of celibacy for priests, although they have many celibate priests as well. At bit of clarification is needed here. These Churches do not allow priests to get married. They must be married before ordination. If their spouse dies they remain celibate and cannot remarry. All eastern bishops are drawn from the celibate clergy, usually monks.

In the Latin ("Roman") Church, there are convert clergy from the Eastern Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, and other communions who came with their wives and children into the Catholic Church. They are now Roman Catholic priests serving in Roman Catholic parishes and elsewhere. The Catholic Church didn't make them give up their families when they joined. There are also Eastern Catholics with married priests in several countries where Latins are dominate, with their parishes often located near a Roman parish or sometimes even sharing the same church buildings and facilities.

BTW, the Eastern Orthodox (Russian, Greek, et al) are considered by the Catholic Church to have a valid priesthood. They are considered to be true particular Churches and Sister Churches to the particular Catholic Churches, even though they are not in full communion with Rome. They have LOTS of married priests. When an Orthodox priest joins the Catholic Church, he's not reordained and he brings his family with him.

Even if the Latins wanted to start ordaining married men in large numbers, there are very real practical considerations. In the Eastern Churches the priests are usually supported by their respective parishes. That means salary, medical insurance, living quarters (for a family), a car, and other expenses. A lot of Roman Catholic parishes could not afford those things nor to modify or build new rectories to house a family. Then there's the problem of educating Catholics themselves. A lot of Catholics don't understand their faith very well, let alone an 'innovation' such as married priests. There would be controvesy without end, something the Catholic Church doesn't need right now, nevermind the expense.

Rob

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:36pm by Rob_Roy »  

IP Logged

Sasuke

How many flavours does
it take to kill a man?

Canada
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 12:05am

...What does it matter if He was married or not? Would that make Him any less the son of God? Would that make Him any less a savior? No. It would just make Him more human, and as we all know, Jesus was both human and divine.

Now, if He had children...that's a whole different matter. I don't think that would make them any more holy than the rest of us, really, as they would be human, like Jesus's body was human.

~Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?~

IP Logged

Rob_Roy

New Hampshire, USA
Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:36am

Sasuke,

Good points for those that think of Jesus as Christians do. But for non-Christians Jesus is a huge issue as most of them spend their entire lives living among, working, and even married to Christians, many of whom are less than tolerant of those who might disagree with the (their) "Truth."

Rob

IP Logged

SciMan
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 11:16am

There is a book by Dolores Canon titled "They walked with Jesus." It is about past life regressions of two women who knew, met, and followed Christ, and their regression experiences are astounding in terms of the detail and the words they shared with Christ. One can compare their experiences with any of the four Gospels and find both support and contradiction.

As an individual raised in the Catholic church, but not practicing now, I am not troubled or find any contradiction in the possibility that Christ fathered a child. I do believe, however, that at his level of consciousness the physical "need" to father a child may have been much lower priority to him than spiritual awareness and truth. Hence, I can also see that he might have not fathered a child either. This does not mean that he could not have had meaningful friendships with women: read the book and you will see.

As far as the virgin birth and Mary's (mother of Christ) purity, I believe in my soul that there is much man-made dogma which the church imposed over time for its needs. This is addressed in the aforementioned book, too.

Peace.

-SciMan

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 1:39pm

Yes, I have that book and have read it. Very good book. Tell me, have you read any of Delores Cannon's other books? They are very eye opening.

Love, Mairlyn Wink

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.