Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Swedenborg: Father of Astral Projection (Read 196954 times)
george stone

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Swedenborg: Father of Astral Projection
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 2:30pm

Hi Don.I have read all about swedendorg and his vissits to the spirit world.I have also read that there are things that god does not want us to know.and one of those things is reincarnation.There is a reason for this.If people knew that reincarnation is a fact,There would be more people killing themselfs to try and get a better life next time around.George

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 8:34pm

SWEDENBORG'S REJECTION OF REINCARNATION

ES discovers that we are mistaken in our belief that our thoughts are isolated.  Our minds receive an influx from a endlessly changing array of good and evil discarnates who have not yet arrived at their ultimate destinations.  We are normally connected in this way to 2 good spirits and 2 evil spirits.  The particular combination of these spirits at any moment depends on our state of mind at that moment.  Neither we nor these associate spirits are normally conscious of the other.

What survives death indefinitely, says ES, is our inner memory which contains our inner loves and the patterns or approaches we've developed in reaction to life's experiences.  Inner memory is totally distinct from bodily memory of life's details which eventually fades after death and becomes quiescent.  ES's insight here is confirmed by astral adept Robert Bruce: "Memories of earthly life also seem vague [to the dead], much like how a half-forgotten dream is remembered by a living person.  Many spirits seem to be aware only of their present reality."

Occasionally, the bodily memory of spirits is activated and gives the connected person the impression that these memories are hers and that she must have reincarnated.   Ian Stevenson's celebrated research on the past life recall of young children is flawed by its failure to take this insight seriously.  In at least one of his cases, the child's alleged past life continued until well after he was born--a sure sign of possession.  If a discarnate spirit's bodily memory is completely restored, that memory can override the connected person's memories and create the experience of possession.  Robert A. Monroe [= RAM] creates such a possession during an OBE visit to Locale III: "I temporarily displaced him.  My knowledge of him...and his past came...evidently [from] his memory bank.  I have wondered what embarrassment I have caused him ("Journeys Out of the Body", p. 96)."

RAM's possession experience should have made him suspicious that his implausible astral past life experiences are bogus fabrications.  e.g.:

(1) his prior incarnation as a cave man pilot of a mentally controlled aircraft that is forced to dodge the spears of hostile natives (UJ 157): We are asked to believe in such a combination of prehistoric motifs and modern technology.

(2) a prior incarnation as a novice Christian priest who is invited  by his fellow priests to rape "a frightened young girl" who is tied down and spread-eagled: We are asked to believe that Catholic priests would order such an atrocity, that the victim is an earlier incarnation of his wife Nancy, and that the stabbings will cause her "exquisite ecstasy"  (UJ 154-156' cp. the earlier version in FJ 115-16)!

RAM's failure to address the credibility problems of these absurd "memories" is sufficent reason to mistrust the astral insights in his last 2 books.

ES discovers that discarnate heavenly souls readily grasp the significance of his insights, but humans confined to the world of spirits (= Focus 25-26) refuse to believe because they are unwilling to experience the inevitable belief system crash that would cause them to renounce reincarnation:
"I [ES] tried to convince them by many proofs that this is not true, but in vain (HH 246)."

In my next planned post, I will explain how ES's astral insights join forces with insights from channleing to refute Bruce Moen's doctrine of a Soul Disk comprising of frequent incarnations of the same human self.

Don

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:51pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 7:32am

Don-

One thing for sure, we'll never find consistency in our research of the afterlife.  Even material supposedly channelled from highly evolved entities can be totally contradictory much less inconsistent.

I have concluded that it's really a fruitless enterprise, especially if the objective is to achieve some sort of conclusive answer as to what lies in store for us after death.

Speaking just for myself, I have spent way too many years reading everything I can get my hands on if it promises insight on the afterlife.  And the more I read, the more confused I get.  Sometimes I get to the point where I just throw up my hands and tune out of the whole deal.

One thing that ES says, however, has really hit home with me.  Yes, we can have faith in God and yes, we can have love.  BUT unless we tie those things to good works while here on earth, they are empty and useless.

What difference does it make if we read all the available literature on the afterlife, and are up to speed on the "insights" of the latest new age guru if we aren't helping others in the best way we can?  Even if we have compassion for those among us who need a helping hand but we don't respond, that compassion is nothing more than an empty feeling.

Bruce says that retrievals are just "training wheels" for the further exploration of the afterlife.  That's fine as far as it goes, but I think it misses a larger point.  Even if that exploration provides legitimate information (and I'm skeptical of that), it is still lacking an important, maybe essential, ingredient, if it doesn't result in us helping our fellow human beings.

In fact, I'll go one step further and say that a life devoted to helping others is far more important even if we have no clue whatsoever what lies beyond this earthly life.

We can engage in endless debate and arguments on this board but it will never solve the mystery of the afterlife, so why not do something in the here and now that will be far more rewarding both to us and to those we help.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 4:55pm

Roger,

You express yourself eloquently and discerningly.
Just for that reason I encourage you to continue your frustrating quest.  My best guess is this: you might be well served in practicing the procedures outlined in Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer's book,  "Mastering Astral Projection: 90-Day Guide to Out-of-Body Experience."  Admittedly, it's boring work, but my instincts tell me it just might pay off.   The astral principle of like attracts like suggests to me that your astral experience would be unique.  I doubt that it would primarily focus on satisfying your curiosity.  i suspect it would focus on upgrading your potential to apply astral insights to daily living and compassion.  Besides, the 90-day deadline would give you a chance to challenge the bold assurances of the author. 

Not that I  practice what I preach!   ???   Actually, I'm making this suggestion for a selfish reason: I want to recommit myself to this project, but I lack ES's incredible self-discipline.  If I knew you were doing it, I might be constructively shamed into completing the program.  Roll Eyes

I spent the afternoon with Carissa, a 19-year-old young lady who just got her foot caught in a big power mower.  Her big toe was cut off and her foot was torn to pieces.  She must now endure a series of operations to try to save enough of the foot to allow her to walk.  Her family has no health insurance to defray the enormous cost.  This young lady views me as her spiritual guide, but in fact I view her as my teacher.  Her life has been filled with disappointments and apparent failure, and yet, she is embracing her ghastly ordeal with uncommon grace and patience.   It was such a privilege to be bathed in the love of that family bedside vigil.  I came away, wondering what steps i could take to become a more effective healing presence in such circumstances.  My quest for astral insights seems trivial by comparison.

I'm reminded of the often overlooked role of the Old Testament prophets.  They were constantly reminding Israel that religious beliefs are only meaningful if they facilitate spiritual transformation that manifests in loving acts and social justice.  The prophets warn that spiritual truths are relative in the sense that they can be invalidated by their failure to manifest such practical payoffs.  In effect, the prophets teach that one must live one's truth passionately but provisionally--passionately to make a loving difference, but provisionally to avoid being stuck in a belief system that no longer works in the way it was intended. 

Still, I think exposure to ES is valuable as a reminder that we must not be smug in our childlike acquiescence in a widely-held belief system.  So I will complete my little project of laying out some of ES's key insights. I've learned a lot by doing so.

Don

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 11:39pm

A SWEDENBORGIAN CRITIQUE OF THE
NEW AGE CONCEPT OF THE GROUP SOUL

In reply #18 I outline the grounds of ES's rejection of reincarnation.  New Age reincarnation is often associated with the concept of a soul Disk or group soul comprised of many manifestations of one's soul throughout history.  ES would view this as a perversion of what actually happens:

"Kindred souls gravitate towards each other spontaneously...for with each other they feel as though they are with their own family (HH 44),"  

"There was a kind of angelic face that appeared to me, and this varied according to the qualities of affections...that were characteristic of the individuals in a particular community.  These variations lasted quite a while, and through it all I noticed that the same general face remained constant as a basis, with everything else being simply derivations and elaborations from it.  So there was shown me through this face the affections of the whole community...Not many individuals leave their own community to go to another because leaving their community is like leaving themselves or their life...(HH 47, 49)."  

"Sometimes a whole angelic community appears as a single entity in the form of an angel, a sight that the Lord has allowed me to see. . .Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are nothing but angelic communities that are given these names because of their functions (HH 52)."  

Similary, in classical channeling, the group soul is not like the Monroe/Moen soul Disk composed of multiple selves of the same soul unit.  Rather, the group soul is composed of originally distinct kindred souls with the same purpose.  Yet this channeled conception might easily be confused with the soul Disk concept.  For example, consider this quote form Paul Beard, "Living On," p. 135:

"The group as a whole is in a real sense a soul also, a group soul, and [the discarnate person] is in very truth part of this soul.  The bond, the common purpose, will not all be seen in a flash....[but] will be carried out gradually, until the various parts are gathered together and made a whole."  

This alternative understanding may be the key to solving a significant contradiction between Bruce Moen and Robert Monroe.  Moen claims to be part of the same soul Disk as Monroe.  But Monroe is astrally informed that he has only one parallel incarnation--a female one.  He is also told that "she would seem like a long-lost sister (UJ 174)."  Moen reports no such intimacy in his earthly encounter with Monroe.  Perhaps, Moen, Monroe, and even this unknown female are distinct and separate souls destined to participate in a group soul in this Swedenborgian sense.  If so, there is no such thing as retrieving portions of one's self.

The group soul in the Swedenborgian sense gets rid of the the troubling notion of parallel incarnations from a timeless astral realm.  
Consider the contradictory nature of Seth's perspective on the timeless interval between lives.  In "Eternal Validity of the Soul" Seth says, "There is no time schedule, and yet it is very unusual for an individual to wait for anything over 3 centuries between lives, for this makes the orientation very difficult, and the emotional ties with the earth have become weak."  But Seth assumes that time is irrelevant for entities between lives.  The earth ties can only become gradually weakened if there is in fact a passage of time!  A real contradiction!

Don

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:30pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 10:31am

Don,Did swerenborg ask the lord if there was reincarnation?Or did the lord tell him that there was not,because we are not informed.It must be held back from us.WE cant just beleive that.It is only swedenborgs opinion.George

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 12:28pm

George,

Thanks for responding again.  In your last post you allude to an important issue--the question of whether some truths are withheld from us for our own good.  St. Paul admits that during his trip to Paradise he is told truths that he is not permitted to share (2 Corinthians 12:4).  Howard Storm tells me that his book "My Descent into Death" only describes the tip of the iceberg of his NDE revelations.  In her book, "Embraced by the Light," Betty Eadie confesses that many truths were erased from her memory when she returned to waking consciousness from her NDE.  But she adds this:  she learns in her NDE that, though the soul preexists before birth,  there is no reincarnation. 

Swedenborg originally experiences and learns about past life memories.  Only when he explores heaven and converses with angels does he learn that these are merely memories from distinct spirits with whom one is connected.  Even on earth it is well known that when someone is possessed by a discarnate human, that human's memories merge with one's own.   So this is far from "just ES's  opinion."  Besides, his verifcations are far, far superior to those of any modern astral adepts. 

I am still exploring issues associated with reincarnation.  But Swedenborg's verifications have earned him the right to be taken more seriously than modern adepts. 

Don

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #22 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 1:43pm

Don.Thanks for replying to my post.Question.Dont you think The lord would give us more than one chance to get to heaven.?My goodness,What a shame. George

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 2:16pm

George,

Now you are raising the question that has fueled my spiritual quest more than any other since my teenage years.  Yes, the Bible teaches that God's love never permanently abandons anyone after death.  I have posted in this issue extensively in the past and should perhaps post on this again.  If we remain in Hell, then that is because we refuse to cast our gaze in a godward and more loving direction, not because God has rendered the final verdict on our lives.    The Bible also implies that soul retrievals are both possible and essential.  In this respect, Bruce Moen and Robert Monroe agree with Scripture.  Atheist Howard Storm is told the same thing by Jesus during his NDE. 

If reincarnation of the ego turns out to be a false doctrine, it nevertheless expresses the important truth that this life is not the end of our educational and evolutionary potential.  The heavenly planes perform the purification role that reincarnatiionists have often reserved for Earth.  As positive as I am about ES, I have so far not discovered where he directly addresses the possibility of retrievals from hell.  In my view, this is the greatest weakness in his otherwise unparalleled odyssey of astral discovery.

Don

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #24 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 2:37pm

Quote:
In her book, "Embraced by the Light," Betty Eadie confesses that many truths were erased from her memory when she returned to waking consciousness from her NDE.  But she adds this:  she learns in her NDE that, though the soul preexists before birth,  there is no reincarnation.

My understanding when reading her book is that there is no reincarnation of the same personality, but there is reincarnation of the soul.

Love, Mairlyn

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #25 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 3:41pm

that is where I'm at in my understanding as well Mairlyn, that the personality is the new consciousness born here, but that the personality is not the totality of the being itself, but like a probe, to gather new experiences and bring those gifts back into the entire disc/whole, adding to the pot, as it were, or what is called the harvesting of loosh  (god, I wish we had another reference point).
I wish to address to the question of reincarnation, that it can be seen to be for some both true and false. that when bleed thrus of various lives do come to the mind with detail and finesse, that these are meaningful to observe, in that these lives shown are not the same person as depicted in the images..these can be seen as experiences which happened to your twin sister or brother, a being so close to you, that you feel what they feel, you know them as well as yourself, just as my own twins, when I was spanking one (just a swat on the butt, ok?) the other twin at once hollared from another room of the house! I felt that! she said. they are like one person within a level of observation, yet with different personalities to express. they are joys to watch and learn by. this is perhaps a clue what these other lives may be like in terms of shared experiences.

from a religious viewpoint and I am not religious (this life, this personality)  Wink we can take this topic and compare it to the bible where one person is sent into life with 2 talents, another with 3 talents, or gifts, and sometimes these talents in a spiritual sense are not used and so there cannot be much advancement unless whatever your talent is, that it is expressed for this is fulfilling to find your intentions here, what brings you pleasure to perform.

what this means to me personally is sometimes we can deny, or never find out what our talent is exactly because of whatever...not enough study, being lazy, or perceiving erroneously that there are obstackles in your way to do what u came here to do, maybe becoming addicted to whatever, we are good at having excuses why we didn't do the thing we love to do, whatever that is.
an example is: on my journey here I was a lowly housecleaner to my incorrect perception. but on a spiritual level I was in the right place. because I needed to understand about what good service was to another, no matter how much I knew I did not come to this planet to clean someone elses toilet...lol. by learning to love my job, by loving my clients, I was able to graduate from the profession..which by the way, it's an excellent spiritual position if approached to do good work in it. so maybe it doens't matter what position you hold in life, it only matters how well you do your job in order so that you can move to something more challenging and perhaps see your way clear to utilize what your special talent is.
my summation is one is never judged in the afterlife  and slotted into a prison for what you did or didn't do, but you judge yourself according to whether you did the best you could, and you examine the reason why you did as you did. it is the reason why you might have killed someone but you are not punished for the act itself, you are punished only if you "enjoyed" killing someone and for that intention of deriving satisfaction from such an act. a soldier has never been punished for killing in the afterlife review. he had a license to kill. but yes, I agree, that together we help each other evolve and that there should be here or there, and even in the most degrading BST's imaginable, some kind of opportunity to assist and retrieve these, just as there exists here on this side, counselors and teachers who attempt same and some are very successful to help others, thereby helping themselves evolve. I didn't mean to ramble. sorry. I'm sure glad this board is here.
love, alysia Wink 
not finished yet. lol.  there are opportunities to grow, assistance is always offered here or there. judgment is aided by nuetral unbiased guides who assist the life review, who offer suggestions but not coersion for the thing of choosing one expression over another is important; on the other side you are either choosing to honor life or expressing you choose death. those who refused to be retrieved to life may change their minds down the road. if they wish to remain within a bst area to experience whatever their diviation is, their addiction, there is always another guide or being who can know how to pull them away from that. on the other hand, they may choose to remain in their bst from our perception of linear time, a very long time and not be wishing to join their disc to cooperate and continue whatever discs do within evolvement, winking out as it were....they say a leopard will not change it's spots, but spiritually speaking I am of the opinion that the power of foregiveness is the same power of PUL to allow the leapard to change it's spots.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #26 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 4:03pm

Marilyn,

No one knows everything about spirituality.  So after I've finished my positive evaluation of ES, I will offer my respectful critique.  I trusted my memory and what others have said about Betty Eadie's view because I gave my copy of her book away.  I'm grateful for your post because it inspired me to google Betty and I found this illuminating exchange from Geoge Noory's "Coast to Coast:" 

GEORGE: "Do you believe in reincarnation?" 

BETTY: "Uh yes, I believe in reincarnation, but not as we have come to know it here on earth.  And I always believed in reincarnation because that was the only thing that made sense to me before the [NDE] experience.  But during the experience, I actually asked about reincarnation, and I was told that reincarnation upon the earth--going through.. repeated lives--would not be necessary for the majority of people, that there are other worlds that God created, and that our continued education would be best served in other places instead of here."

In other words, her NDE sources reject the DOCTRINE that most of us reincarnate, but allow the POSSIBILITY of such earthly reincarnation.  I can't address your impression that she might mean the soul might reincarnate, but not the personality.   But her admission of the possibility that a few reincarnate is independently confirmed by "Jesus and the angels" during Howard Storm's NDE:

"A child is full of potential...If the soul fails in the physical for whatever reasons, it will go back to the source.  It may come back in this physical world or another.  Were it to come back, which is just one of countless possibilities, it would be more highly developed ("My Descent into Death," p. 72)." 

As in Betty Eadie's NDE, Storm's Jesus admits the possibility of a few reincarnating, but rejects the doctrine that we all reincarnate.   For many reasons, I am convinced that Storm has been instructed by the real Jesus.  So Storm's NDE is just as impressive as ES's astral insights.  How then do I reconcile this contradiction between Storm and ES on reincarnation?  ES is rejecting reincarnation on the basis of the unreliability of past life recall.  But that does not mean that no one has ever reincarnated.   Perhaps there are some earthly reincarnations where no past life recall is involved.

Judy Eb is a real expert on ES.  She has been away, but has just informed me that she plans to join my thread on Thursday.  it will be interesting to see what she has to say about these vexing important questions.   Anyway, thanks again for prompting my renewed reserch into Eadie's views.

Don

IP Logged

Rog_B

Reply #27 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 4:06pm

I never thought I'd end up quoting something from ACIM, but on the subject of reincarnation, I think the author (whoever it is) has it absolutely bang-on.

Namely, if believing in reincarnation helps a person in his or her overall spiritual enlightenment, fine.  If it somehow has a negative affect, then let it go.  It's really not relevant.

It's obvious that no one really knows one way or the other.  We can quote from various books we have read (ie probes gathering loosh...whatever the heck that means) or we can submit our own theories. 

Either way, the fact remains that it is essentially irrelevant.  We can spend time discussing it until our computers crash or until we end up in a nursing home wearing a bib.  The result will be the same, we simply will not know. 

It may be entertaining to toss different scenarios around but it's not going to make us any more enlightened in terms of the big picture as to why we are here and what awaits us after death.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #28 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 4:22pm

Roger B. Grin you're funny! love a sense of humor. Quote from Roger: Either way, the fact remains that it is essentially irrelevant.  We can spend time discussing it until our computers crash or until we end up in a nursing home wearing a bib.  The result will be the same, we simply will not know.
____

you are right,ACIM does say that it is not revelant to tear one's hair out discussing the validity or non validity of past life. I suppose it boils down to either you believe in it, or u don't.
if the only thing that is important is the now moment then we should be present with the now moment and not be overly concerned with what we may have been, or done in the past. for surely, to consider such things would remove us from the now moment? and is it important to know? not for me. but I suppose that it would be useful for another to believe this way. if we subscribe to a concept we are all the ONE then we have done it all and seen it all and remain in an attitude of nonjudgment because we live in glass houses. all is known. even the forbidden fruit may have been eaten. so thank you Roger for quoting my favorite book, ACIM. I hope we all believe in miracles at the very least of these things we believe or disbelieve. love, alysia 

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #29 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 4:39pm

Roger and Alysia I agree! 

What matters more than anything is that we each have the ability to have our own experiences and draw from them whatever is meaningful to us...individually.  What we each experience and then believe, or believe and then experience is our own personal reality that has meaning to ourselves.  We will all have our own enlightening moments that make us grow, and they don't have to be the same for everyone in order to be true or real.

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.