Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bardo thodal (Read 3862 times)
psilocybe
Ex Member

bardo thodal
Mar 25th, 2005 at 5:24am

hi all
just wondering about peoples opinion about the tibetan book of the dead and if anybody has read it and the effect on your lifes.
i'm currently reading it and it makes a lot of sence. thanks for your thoughts and time!

IP Logged

wayne
Ex Member

Re: bardo thodal
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 1:16pm

Hi,
      I think it is a great read. You would probably like "Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche as well. It is one of the best books on the subject I've read.

wayne

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 4:38pm

Hi Psilocybe-

Bardo Thodol is an entire tradition, as well as the name of the core writing of the tradition. Evans-Wentz published a slightly different form than we usually see in his "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines", along with the Six Yogas of Naropa (etc) from which Tenzin Wangyal probably got the inspiration for his quest and resulting book. If you're really interested in the Bardo Thodol, you might look up a Mahayana Buddhist Rinpoche to initiate you. The rest of your life will be .. er .. different, to say the least. However, it requires taking the Bodhissatvic Vow, and sort of becoming part of the Cosmic Civil Service.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

psilocybe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 2:04am

Hi
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!
I agree with you Dave regarding a totally unique tradition to the east and very few westerners understand the true mission behind the esoteric doctrines carried through time! I feel privileged to have a copy and have been drawn to reading it! But why if The Bardo Thordal has been a major player in the eastern world in the understanding of origins and destiny have the west not picked up on key points? such as the karma determines wether an unconscious is to be reborn to a physical world or not! I think all AKMembers are mentally ready to read the ancient doctrines but can't imagine many prepared to! as it is a book the western (occidental) peoples are afraid of, just because of the lack of understanding it.
Many thanks for any replies i receive.
I'm interested in others who have thought about reading the book but are to affraid.
Shroom

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 8:28pm

Hi 'Schroom-
Why we aren't more aware?  In the late 1950-1960 era, before LSD and 'shroomns became the subject of legal restrictions, a very large  number of other people went off to investigate the Eastern views. Often through ill-conceived plans of chemical plus meditative investigation. 

The first major discovery was that once we get 100% in touch with our nature, we don't seem to be very nice. We recall things that we have done to others, and when we look into our own selves we find imperfections, needs, desires and attachments that we don't want to give up. If we go a little deeper we get involved with the sense of universal love and unity, at which point, as Ecclesiastes put it, our greatest and most winderful deeds appear as filthy rags, and we feel really bad about our lives. Yoga, whether Bardo Thodol or Patanjali style, requires purification.

Those who survived the trip without going utterly bonkers were the ones who either discounted the entire experience and went into denial, claiming the world to be purely material, or they were the others who adopted an attitude of, "Please fix me so I'll be better." (This is also the way we take on karmic issues in the next incarnation.) They followed the Ram Das kind of path.

As for the rest, after a month or so on major antipsychotic medication, most of them ceased to have schiziophrenic aberrations, and they had no desire whatsoever to ever go back to that place in which they had such terrifying understanding.

Up through the 1950's, people believed that the world was material. It was a major breakthrough in social consciousness for society to come to the awareness that "what goes around comes around". Until 1966, most people simply didn;t believe it. Instead, the preferred denial, that you can be antisocial and selfish and get away with it. This idea remains at the core of commercial ethics and politics even today.

The underlying answer is not that we lack people with sufficient awareness to enter transcendental lifestyles. The problem is that to become saintly means giving up all our bad habits of exploiting one another mercilessly. For example, the government would [prefer that you not have an enlightened attitude, because that makes it hard to attack and bully tiny little nations. Businesses would prefer that you be unenlightened, so that you can run a monopolistic enterprise that bleeds people raw in order to obtain the necessities of life.

It is, in some ways, unfortunate, but you have a well developed spiritual awareness that brings the sensitivity to understand that all of this is an imposition that makes life more difficult, and, as a result, you are going to have to cope with the underlying injustice of it all. There's the Tim Leary path through revolution and social anarchy, the Ram Das path through self development, the Jesus path (that few of us are capable of handling) through sacrifice, the path of dictators and monarchs (and other young and immature souls) who force conformity on a world that resents them for it, yje Dalai Lama's path of ruling through simplicity and infinite compassion, or Mother Thersa's example of total service and love  ... and so on. Good luck.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

psilocybe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 3:25am

Wow Dave!
You are my guru!
Seriously Dave I can see what you mean regarding the different paths to take and the different unconsciousness the paths would help to develop I personally would love to follow the path of the Dalai Llama as i believe PUL is the true reason for the physical world and with PUL we have no need to revisit the planet! I do have a big problem with the ignorance and abuse that go's on towards the most basic of communities (eg:india,pakistan,thiland and many more) it makes me quite sick thinking that capatalism will run the planet and destroy it with the same hand. The more I read the Bardo Thordol the more i feel enlightend towards understanding our complete existence I just wish more people(capatalists)would find time to pick it up and maybe only read the forwards or preface just to get a brief glimpse to what the book has to offer!
As you said yourself Wendel-Wentz translated the book in 1919 for the occidental world but maybe we need an updated version!
I believe man in the year 2005 should be mature enough through experience and the modern ways of our planet to want to find the secret of existance just to make all seem not as bad as it looks! Thanks again Dave! I think you were meant to tell me these things and hopefully some other people will listern to what you have said, i can see you have a true understanding of the book and many more i'm sure!
P.s I maybe called Shroom but have not taken any for 18 years and do believe in the power of natural flora and fauna that man has no hand in creating only farming
Shroom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.