Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soul Retrievals in the Bible (Read 5365 times)
TheDonald

ALK Member

Soul Retrievals in the Bible
May 3rd, 2017 at 5:51pm

The Bible often implies the possibility of a second chance for the evil dead who lack a relationship with Christ. I will begin with 4 biblical examples of soul retrievals from Hades and then expand on these in future threads with several other relevant texts.

(1) "He (Christ) went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey...(1 Peter 3:18-20)."

Here "prison" is Peter's metaphor for Hades, the abode of the wicked dead at the time of Noah. Peter is setting up His image of the Great Flood as a symbol of baptism. Jesus' proclamation assumes that the trapped dead have a chance to respond to His proclamation and thus be "retrieved" from Hades to Paradise. The anticipated positive response to Christ's preaching implies the possibility of soul retrievals from Hades and the inevitability of positive responses is made explicit in 4:6, which does not explicitly restrict this retrieval work to Jesus:

"The Gospel was proclaimed even to the dead, so that, though they had been judged in the flesh, as everyone is judged, they might live in the spirit as God does (4:6)."
"
(3) "...so that God may be everything to everyone. Otherwise, what will those people do who receive baptism in behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf (1 Corinthians 15:29)."

Here Paul declares God's ultimate goal of being "everything to everyone." Then he argues that if this was not God's ultimate goal and destiny, there would be no point to the Christian practice of proxy baptism for the unrighteous dead. By implication, this ritual, combined with prayers for soul retrievals from Hades, is a small part of the process by which God ultimately saves the unrighteous dead.

(4) The Jewish background of proxy baptism for the unsaved dead is 2 Maccabees 12:38-45 in the Catholic OT, a text that describes how the Jewish freedom fighter, Judas Maccabaeus, reacts to dead Jewish soldiers who have been found with tokens of idolatry. Judas pays for atoning sacrifices to be made for these sinners in the Jerusalem Temple. These sacrifices are reinforced by prayers for their retrieval from Hades.

"For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again,it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead.  Therefore, he made atonement for the dead, so that they might be lielievered from their sin (12:44-46).

. .

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Re: Soul Retrievals in the Bible
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2017 at 11:14am

Don

I've spoken with some Christians who believe that upon death, we enter a deep sleep and do not awaken until the final judgement. This would obviously render the idea of soul retrievals to be false. However, I believe that NDEs disprove this theory, although I've heard counterarguments that NDEs are demonic deceptions.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are regarding the afterlife sleep hypothesis, particularly in how it relates to what the Bible says.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Vince, let me give your 7 NT texts that decisively favor the view that believers survive death, fully conscious:

(1) Jesus' word from the cross to the dying thief implies that both Jesus and the thief will be alive and conscious in Paradise: "Truly I tell you, TODAY you will be with me in Paradise (Luke 23:42-43)."

(2) Jesus' Parable of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-32) presumes that both Lazarus and the rich man are alive and available for dialogue in the postmortem state.

(3) Jesus teaching in Mark 12:26-27 makes it clear that God IS (not "was") the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and draws the inference that these 3 long deceased OT Patriarchs are presently alive:

"Have you not read in the Book of Moses the story about the Bush, how God said to him, "I AM the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?"  He is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

(4) Jesus refutes the doctrine of soul sleep in His reassuring word to Mary: "Everyone who lives and believes in me will never die (John 11:26)."

(5) In Revelation 6:9-10  deceased Christian martyrs are alive in heaven and ask God how long they must  wait to be vindicated. 

(6) For Paul, to be absent from the body is not to enter the oblivion of soul sleep, but to be present with the Lord:
"We would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8)."

(7) From the perspective of bliss, Paul would rather die, but he recognizes that his converts need His earthly ministry:

"I am hard pressed between the two (choices).  My desire is to depart and be with Christ; for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you (Philippians 1:23-24)."

Soul sleep should be understood as a metaphor for death, not as a metaphor for an unconscious state.  I could discuss several issues about these texts, but their collective force offers a compelling case for immediate postmortem survival.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2017 at 8:51pm

Thanks Don, that was helpful.

So do you think the afterlife belief system model proposed by Monroe could be accurate in light of God's word? I'm also wondering how God's judgement fits in with this. Does it take place immediately after death, or at some predetermined future time?

I've read commentaries which paint a different picture of the 1 Peter verses you brought up in your initial post. My current understanding is that the general message of scripture contradicts the view that there is a chance for repentance after death. This is something I'd like to learn more about.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2017 at 3:31am

The Book of Revelation implies a second postmortem chance for the salvation of the damned in various ways.  For example, 21:15 offers a symbolic vision of a "New Jerusalem" hovering above the Earth.  There are 2 compelling details about this vision: (1) The doors of he heavenly city are never shut--a symbol of constant traffic coming and going.  But coming and going for what purpose and on what mission?  22:15 tells us that what lies outside the heavenly city are the evil dead.  The implication is obvious: the evil dead are given the chance to become spiritually transformed and enter the permanently open gates of the heavenly city; and saints can leave the city for missions directed at the wicked dead.  The prospect of soul retrievals seems implicit here, though retrievals are not explicitly mentioned.  As famed Christian author, C. S. Lewis, eloquently puts it, "The gates of Hell are locked from the inside." 

The next 2 Christian apocalypses--the Apocalypse of Peter (125 AD) and the Sibylline Oracles II (150 AD) reinforce this claim.  In Apocalypse of Peter 14 and the Christian Sibylline Oracles II: 331-335 we learn that heaven cannot be fully heaven for the saints with the knowledge that so many are excluded in hellish consignment.  So the saints complain about this and intercede with God to retrieve the lost.  Their request is granted, though precisely how is not made clear.  But these ensuing apocalypses establish a contemporary mindset implying the possibility of interpreting the eternally open gates as a metaphor for the possibility of retrievals from Hades. 

Several more texts will be offered in support of this claim in future posts.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2017 at 8:55am

Interesting. So from the perspective of this interpretation, what is made of verses which indicate judgement immediately after death, like Hebrews 9:27?

From the perspective of those who don't believe in a second chance for salvation after death, do you have an idea of how they interpret the verses you mentioned so that they do not reflect the idea of a second chance? They would necessarily have to have a different interpretation to hold up their view of only one chance.

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2017 at 7:14pm

Vince: "So from the perspective of this interpretation, what is made of verses which indicate judgement immediately after death, like Hebrews 9:27?"

"It is appointed unto mortals once to die and after that the judgment (Hebrews 9:27)."

Most evangelicals assume that "the judgment" is the last word, but I ask, "What happens after the judgment?  John's allusion to Hell as "a second death" (20:24; 21:8) implies our first death and  John's reference to a "first resurrection" (20:5-6) implies a 2nd resurrection.  We might expect the sequential pattern, first death--first resurrection, 2nd death--2nd resurrection.   But John never identifies this 2nd resurrection, perhaps because he is angry at his persecutors and begrudges them a postmortem hope.  The gathering of the righteous and unrighteous for the Last Judgment does not use resurrection language or the language of ascent (20:11-15).  So scholars have proposed that the 2nd resurrection is out of "the lake of fire" into Heaven, the New Jerusalem. This interpretation fits neatly with John's image of the New Jerusalem's eternally open gates.  Keep in mind that the Hebrew ("olam") and Greek ("aionios") words translated "eternal in fact only mean "for an indefinite period of time."    

Vince, in my experience, most opponents of my more inclusive perspective don't analyze all the texts relevant to our ultimate fate.  In my next post, I will discuss yet another text in the Book of Revelation that seems to point to the possibility of soul retrievals. 

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2017 at 8:16pm

Thanks Don, that makes sense. I certainly have a lot of work ahead of me in terms of Bible study and understanding. I don't want to take things too off topic but this question just came to me. I don't believe there is any Biblical case for non-believers in Christ to enter heaven, but do you think it's possible?

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #8 - May 21st, 2017 at 6:01am

TheDonald wrote on May 20th, 2017 at 7:14pm:
Vince: "So from the perspective of this interpretation, what is made of verses which indicate judgement immediately after death, like Hebrews 9:27?"

"It is appointed unto mortals once to die and after that the judgment (Hebrews 9:27)."

Most evangelicals assume that "the judgment" is the last word, but I ask, "What happens after the judgment?  John's allusion to Hell as "a second death" (20:24; 21:8) implies our first death and  John's reference to a "first resurrection" (20:5-6) implies a 2nd resurrection.  We might expect the sequential pattern, first death--first resurrection, 2nd death--2nd resurrection.   But John never identifies this 2nd resurrection, perhaps because he is angry at his persecutors and begrudges them a postmortem hope.  The gathering of the righteous and unrighteous for the Last Judgment does not use resurrection language or the language of ascent (20:11-15).  So scholars have proposed that the 2nd resurrection is out of "the lake of fire" into Heaven, the New Jerusalem. This interpretation fits neatly with John's image of the New Jerusalem's eternally open gates.  Keep in mind that the Hebrew ("olam") and Greek ("aionios") words translated "eternal in fact only mean "for an indefinite period of time."    

Vince, in my experience, most opponents of my more inclusive perspective don't analyze all the texts relevant to our ultimate fate.  In my next post, I will discuss yet another text in the Book of Revelation that seems to point to the possibility of soul retrievals. 

Some people usually new age believe after death everyone goes to heaven, even the likes of Hitler or Stalin.If that were true, which it is not we can do just anything in the school of life no matter how evil and depraved and never face the judgement of Almighty God.

That is a blaspheming belief, we have this life as a gift from our beautiful but Holy God and at the last day we will all account for what we have done both good and bad as well as what we should have done but did not do.

It is a fact that there are many hellish realms in the afterlife and also heavenly realms in which we move closer and closer to being perfected by the Holy God of light

Blessings

Alan

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2017 at 9:40pm

There is a 3rd text in Revelation that opens the possibility of a retrieval of everyone, living and dead, including those "under the earth," i. e. in Hades.  In this hymn in 5:13 the poetic scene locates even the evil dead in heaven, worshiping God and Christ.  By implication, they have been given the postmortem opportunity to repent and be transformed and have taken advantage of this chance.  It seems unlikely that they would be permitted to worship God and Christ in heaven, only to have an angel pull a lever that catapults them down to Hell!  Hear then is the hymn:

"Then I heard every creature in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, and in the sea singing: To the One seated on the throne and to the Lamb [Christ] be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever (5:13)."

An analogous hymn quoted by Paul (Philippians 2:6-11) contemplates a similar vision of every one, living and dead, ultimately bowing before Jesus and confessing Him as their Lord:

"Therefore, God has highly exalted Him and given Him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (2:9-11)."

This hymn lends itself to the interpretation that everyone, living and dead, can ultimately be saved. This hope is evident from 3 points:
(1) The phrase "everyone under the earth" is a euphemism for all the dead in Hades.
(2) For Paul, their confession "Jesus Christ is Lord" is a saving confession (Romans 10:6) and cannot be sincerely uttered wthout the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12;3).
(3) This hymn is based on God's invitation to all the world to be saved by bowing before God and swearing allegiance to Him: "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth...To me every knee shall bow and every tongue shall swear (45:22-23)."

The NT repeatedly expresses God's desire to ultimately save everyone.   Why should His will be thwarted by death?  Does this mean that Hitler will ultimately be retrieved and saved?  znot necessarily.  It means only that theoretically it is possible for the wicked dead to be transformed and thus ultimately saved.  But of course they are free to resist the divine overture. 

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

ALK Member

Johannesburg South Africa
Reply #10 - May 30th, 2017 at 4:45am

TheDonald wrote on May 3rd, 2017 at 5:51pm:
The Bible often implies the possibility of a second chance for the evil dead who lack a relationship with Christ. I will begin with 4 biblical examples of soul retrievals from Hades and then expand on these in future threads with several other relevant texts.

(1) "He (Christ) went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, who in former times did not obey...(1 Peter 3:18-20)."

Here "prison" is Peter's metaphor for Hades, the abode of the wicked dead at the time of Noah. Peter is setting up His image of the Great Flood as a symbol of baptism. Jesus' proclamation assumes that the trapped dead have a chance to respond to His proclamation and thus be "retrieved" from Hades to Paradise. The anticipated positive response to Christ's preaching implies the possibility of soul retrievals from Hades and the inevitability of positive responses is made explicit in 4:6, which does not explicitly restrict this retrieval work to Jesus:

"The Gospel was proclaimed even to the dead, so that, though they had been judged in the flesh, as everyone is judged, they might live in the spirit as God does (4:6)."
"
(3) "...so that God may be everything to everyone. Otherwise, what will those people do who receive baptism in behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf (1 Corinthians 15:29)."

Here Paul declares God's ultimate goal of being "everything to everyone." Then he argues that if this was not God's ultimate goal and destiny, there would be no point to the Christian practice of proxy baptism for the unrighteous dead. By implication, this ritual, combined with prayers for soul retrievals from Hades, is a small part of the process by which God ultimately saves the unrighteous dead.

(4) The Jewish background of proxy baptism for the unsaved dead is 2 Maccabees 12:38-45 in the Catholic OT, a text that describes how the Jewish freedom fighter, Judas Maccabaeus, reacts to dead Jewish soldiers who have been found with tokens of idolatry. Judas pays for atoning sacrifices to be made for these sinners in the Jerusalem Temple. These sacrifices are reinforced by prayers for their retrieval from Hades.

"For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again,it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead.  Therefore, he made atonement for the dead, so that they might be relieved from their sin (12:44-46).

Jesus does indicate albeit indirectly that there is forgiveness after death.

When he spoke about the unforgivable sin he used a disclaimer by saying

Jesus said

There is a sin for which there is no forgiveness in this life or the next.

By proxy that means that although the sin he was talking about had no forgiveness there were sins that could be forgiven in the next life or more bluntly out after death

Alan

The truth remains the truth, no matter what we think the truth is, the truth is the truth regardless

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.