Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How has it changed you? (Read 13955 times)
isee
Ex Member

How has it changed you?
Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:54am

How has believing in or hoping for an afterlife changed you as a person?

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: How has it changed you?
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:20am

Hey, Isee

I think if there is an afterlife, then we are more than our physical bodies.  That changes everything.  Not to look toward the afterlife as the place to be, but to look toward how we live now.

It gives life meaning if you believe, at your core that we are spiritual beings, grounded in love (if you choose so), or with the ability to act selfishly.  If there is nothing more than the physical world, then many people act in a self-interested way.  After all, they reason, since there is nothing else, why not look out for number one?   

If there is a soul, and we do go on, then it stands to reason that the sould can be nurtured. Its like a garden you can grow.  Will you tend to it, and grow something beautiiful or will you let it go wild with weeds? 

So for me, belief in consciousness and the soul has dramatically changed my life.  I believe what we do matters.  I believe we can try to act less selfishly and open ourselves up to love.  I believe i have much more to learn about doing that, but that I am on the way.  I am less concerned about acting over self interest.  I keep in mind what I think of as the bigger picture, and there is comfort in doing what you believe is right.

M

IP Logged

Mogenblue

dutch spirit

Amsterdam
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 11:20am

My belief has given me very much.

It has given me peace at heart, peace of mind, confidence and the answers I had about the meaning of life, why we are here and how we have to live.
It has given me much depth in my existence. Far deeper then any science or other religion on Earth could give.
It has confirmed the independancy and immortality of my soul. I now understand that I am a spark of God.

The examples they gave how karma works really made things fall into place for me. The life stories of some of the masters of light were very eye opening.

It has made me understand why God is a God of Love and that God truely loves us unconditional.

I am very grateful for all it has given me.

A View into the Hereafter
Only by serving and loving the life of God, the human being conquers his Universe
IP Logged

Griffin

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:14pm

Well... it's sunk deep into my bones, the fact that I'm a non-physical being currently having the temporary experience of being an in-physical human.  Sometimes I remember to relate to my fellows that they are the same as me; we're all in the same boat. I know this site is about "extraordinary experiences".  The simple human experience is the most extraordinary I have ever known... it's taken me a very,very long time to begin to feel & express love. One thing that a deep knowing that we all survive "death" does, is knowing that I can ( & have been & will be ) there for others that pass on. Someday, sooner than later, I too will pass on. Death can be confusing, it can be stressful. If I die in my sleep or under the influence of pain-killers, I might not know that I've actually died. I'd be in a state of confusion. To have someone to aid me in my confusion would be a great help. Right now I'm in a position to give the same help that I would wish to receive. I can offer that same help to others now.  You do it because you can.                                         Tim

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Colorado
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:18pm

I don't really know how it's changed me because even as a child I always believed and knew there was an afterlife.  I don't know how else I would be not having always felt this way.  But I didn't always automatically know and understand and believe what I do now; that took a lot of work.  I actually remember as a very young child hating being alive simply because I knew the "real stuff" was out there, not in this physical life.  And with all the hardships and bad things I had to tolerate in life, all I wanted to do was get it over with, die, or escape somehow.  I kept wondering why I had to even be here in the first place! 

How I've changed from feeling that way to how I feel now, is learning, feeling, and experiencing love.  When I was young all I wanted was to fall in love, be loved, have children that I could give all my love to, etc.  But it wasn't until just a few years ago that I began learning how to love myself.  I had only ever searched for it outside of myself, not realizing that I was missing something. 

When I experienced and learned that myself here is the same as my higher self "out there", that's what changed me.  It's made me more peaceful, patient, tolerant, and accepting.  It's made me go from being a person who wonders why bad stuff happens to me, to being a person who strives to learn how to make the changes I want to feel, have, and experience in my life.  From feeling sorry for myself to being grateful.  From just seeking help to creating, giving, and sharing it. 

It's always a work in progress though, especially during hard times and difficult situations that can make it easy to give up all hope and sink into despair.  But what I've learned so far carries me through it all.  And that still always surprises me that it works!  But as long as I remember to lift myself from despair with love, it does always change everything.

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

isee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 6:41am

I really appreciate your replies, each one.

Giving life a sense of purpose, feeling more at peace, cultivating a desire to help people here and hereafter, finding reasons and ways to love the self as well as others....I think that's what I'm hearing.

In my life, it is the loosening of a fear of the unknown, a very slow realization that I am being guided on my way, no matter how difficult things sometimes appear. A fog or mist may drift across my path but it eventually clears and there are many beautiful and happy experiences to notice along the way.

If anyone else would like to add more here, please do.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:52am

isee-

For a long time I've had a related question, and often considered posting it but never did. 

My question is, what if we knew for an absolute fact that there was no afterlife.  How would that affect the way we live the rest of our life?

Would our life still have a sense of purpose?  Would we still want to reach out and help others? Or would we become more selfish, thinking more about ourselves?

To me, answers to this question would shed a lot of light on who we really are.....assuming we answer it truthfully and from the heart.

R

IP Logged

isee
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:43pm

rondele wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 10:52am:
isee-

For a long time I've had a related question, and often considered posting it but never did. 

My question is, what if we knew for an absolute fact that there was no afterlife.  How would that affect the way we live the rest of our life?

Would our life still have a sense of purpose?  Would we still want to reach out and help others? Or would we become more selfish, thinking more about ourselves?

To me, answers to this question would shed a lot of light on who we really are.....assuming we answer it truthfully and from the heart.

R

How would you answer those questions, from your perspective? I find it difficult to imagine, from mine.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:12pm

As for me, my own values and innate caring for others would remain.  Compassion for those who are sick or lonely or abused would still be there.  I would be concerned if my behavior was affected by a belief in the afterlife.

In fact, I don't think a belief in the afterlife should change us in any way whatsoever.  If it does, then it raises questions as to how authentic we really are.

For instance, someone mentioned karma as having an affect on his behavior.  When you get right down to it, you have to wonder whether that person is acting out of concern for afterlife consequences or whether he would do good works regardless.

In fact, belief in karma can (and does) cause people to actually ignore the plight of other unfortunate people.  Especially in India, beggars are often ignored because others believe that he/she is in that condition based on wrongdoing in past lives, and is merely going through a necessary consequence.  Helping them would thwart the purpose of karma.

In other words, to sum up, it would be a problem for me if I thought the things I do are affected by a belief in the afterlife. 

We should view good works as an end in itself, rather than as a means to an end.  Same thing goes for doing bad things.  Avoiding hurting others because of fear of what our fate would be in the afterlife doesn't really merit a badge of honor.

R
ps- a much more intriguing question is this: does a belief in the afterlife equate to a belief in God?  Can you have one without the other?

IP Logged

Mogenblue

dutch spirit

Amsterdam
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:36pm

If I knew for an absolute fact that there is no afterlife and once you are dead it is over and done, I guess I would go out raping women and robbing shops as much as I wanted to.

Only by serving and loving the life of God, the human being conquers his Universe
IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:09pm

Really interesting questions. For a really bleak view this quote from the atheist philosopher Bertrand Russell (1903) takes some beating:

"That man is the product of causes that had no prevision of the end they were achieving; that his origin, his growth, his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; that no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve individual life beyond the grave; that all the labours of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of Man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins- all these things, if not quite beyond dispute, are yet so nearly certain that no philosophy which rejects them can hope to stand. Only within the scaffolding of these truths, only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul's habitation henceforth be safely built."

And yet Russell was a humanitarian and social activist lending his voice to such activities as nuclear disarmament. Certainly many athiests would be insulted with the idea that religion was needed to 'do good'; humanism is based on that doing good without God. There are also atheists such as Michael Roll (http://www.cfpf.org.uk) who believe in an afterlife (as a branch of physics).What I think the afterlife belief is incompatible is with materialism  rather than atheism. I don't know any materialists who believe in an afterlife.

But to me at least it is no accident that many notable materialists/atheists (e.g. Lewis Wolpert, Stephen Fry) suffer from depression (other factors such as genetics not withstanding). It is not surprising that the essential purposeless expressed above should make one feel depressed !

I don't think its possible to prove definitely that the afterlife doesn't exist - on the contrary there is plenty of evidence that it does; if the experiences of NDEers are anything to go by the Universe (physical and otherwise) positively throbs with meaning and purpose ...

IP Logged

Marlei1501

ALK Member

Dorset, England
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:09pm

rondele wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:12pm:
As for me, my own values and innate caring for others would remain.  Compassion for those who are sick or lonely or abused would still be there.  I would be concerned if my behavior was affected by a belief in the afterlife.

In fact, I don't think a belief in the afterlife should change us in any way whatsoever.  If it does, then it raises questions as to how authentic we really are.

For instance, someone mentioned karma as having an affect on his behavior.  When you get right down to it, you have to wonder whether that person is acting out of concern for afterlife consequences or whether he would do good works regardless.

In fact, belief in karma can (and does) cause people to actually ignore the plight of other unfortunate people.  Especially in India, beggars are often ignored because others believe that he/she is in that condition based on wrongdoing in past lives, and is merely going through a necessary consequence.  Helping them would thwart the purpose of karma.

In other words, to sum up, it would be a problem for me if I thought the things I do are affected by a belief in the afterlife. 

We should view good works as an end in itself, rather than as a means to an end.  Same thing goes for doing bad things.  Avoiding hurting others because of fear of what our fate would be in the afterlife doesn't really merit a badge of honor.

R
ps- a much more intriguing question is this: does a belief in the afterlife equate to a belief in God?  Can you have one without the other?

Hello Rondele. I'm new to this Forum and have chosen your post to be the first one I respond to. I'd describe myself as a hopeful agnostic, i.e. someone who wants to believe in the afterlife but is yet to be convinced (I definitely don't believe in the conventional Heaven or Hell of the Abrahamic religions).

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said here. I believe in doing good because it feels right, not because there's any reward for oneself.

IP Logged

Marlei1501

ALK Member

Dorset, England
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:15pm

Mogenblue wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:36pm:
If I knew for an absolute fact that there is no afterlife and once you are dead it is over and done, I guess I would go out raping women and robbing shops as much as I wanted to.

Is this a serious comment, or am I missing something?

IP Logged

Mogenblue

dutch spirit

Amsterdam
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:34pm

Marlei1501 wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:15pm:

What would you be missing then?

IP Logged

Marlei1501

ALK Member

Dorset, England
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:39pm

Mogenblue wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:34pm:
Marlei1501 wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:15pm:

What would you be missing then?

Do you really mean what you said, or were you being facetious (sorry, I'm not too familiar yet with your views).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.