Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Post traumatic stress treatement - EMDR (Read 2719 times)
PauliEffectt

ALK Member

Post traumatic stress treatement - EMDR
Jan 8th, 2012 at 3:15pm

I haven't heard of EMDR until today. Seems they are using eye movements resembling sleep REM to treat psychic problems.

I wonder if some part of the patient moves to or stays in F 27 during the treatment as there is no explanation to how the therapy works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing

IP Logged

Bardo

Re: Post traumatic stress treatement - EMDR
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 2:32pm

I went through this therapy for a fear of flying, which came upon me suddenly in middle age. The process was very "nuts and bolts" as I recall. Basically accessing the unpleasant memory and bringing it into the "mainstream" memory territory, where it is de-emphasized and re-prioritized below more realistic and positive memories/sensations. The eye movement basically flips the memory switches and enables the re-shuffling of the memories. For me, It worked to some degree, but not completely.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:43pm

I have heard of EMDR before and had two quick rezctions to the post.

Another technique for dealing with PTSD is called EFT, which has multiple uses and possibly that works on a sub thinking level to remove blocks. Easy to google.

I'm reading something by a person described as an energy healer named Deborah King. In one of her books, she includes an exercise that she says many shaman use, including Don Juan in Castaneda's books. She refers to the technique as "recapitulation."  You use it to disconnect from bad experiences you have had with people. In the exercise, you use your breath and you use a left-to-right-and back head movement. The bit about the eye movement in EMDR, while different, seems to me to be a little similar. How can the back-and-forth movement affect one physiologically?

IP Logged

Bardo

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Lucy,
If I remember correctly, it basically disconnects the existing pathway of association to the bad via the optical nerve and its relationship to the brain,
making new associations to better memories take a higher priority in your memory. That is just an end user's perspective of the therapy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.