Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The great experiment of individuality (Read 34330 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

The great experiment of individuality
Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:51am

It has been increasingly clear to me on my quest for inner understanding, that ego based thinking and the feeding of our own egos ties and binds us to the world.  Much grief comes about when we indulge our egos and explore our individuality, as a thingseparate from the rest of creation. 

Yet I was thinking about this the other day, when I had to face the potential great personal loss of one I loved dearly.  How many of us can transcend this ego-driven thinking, and let it go?  We all create our own "normalcy" in our daily routines.  We go to work, play, indulge ourselves, build up our earthly roles in society.  Yet how many of us can leave, and transition to the afterlife and are ready for it?  Is it not more likely that the vast majority of people will feel profound loss and grief after they cross over?  How many will say "I never got a chance to do......?" 

Yet this individual mode of thinking, this self-absorbed ego wishes to continue on earth, and feels hurt or wounded if  it loses the false sense of eternity we build up-around ourselves while incarnate.

It is easy enough to say that we should put our thoughts toward love and acting lovingly toward others, and that if we practice what we preach, we will have an easier transition when we do die.  Yet, for me, this recent episode let me know how vulnerable I was - how unready I currently am to pass on or to have others pass away - how even as I try to rid myself of ego based or selfish thoughts, I can't seem to let go of a loved one without experiencing profound grief and longing.

Sometimes, I think that individual lives lived on earth are part of a grand experiment in consciousness, but I am just not sure how the "volunteers" in this experiment can free themselves from thinking via their egos in order to transcend in spirit to another level of love.  Clearly those unable to leave things behind (or integrate their loved ones and things into a different level of thought), are destined to be bound to the earth plane, perhaps through reincarnation, until they are ready to move on.

Thoughts?

Matthew

IP Logged

Bardo

Re: The great experiment of individuality
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:46pm

Mathew,
Is feeling loss, and fearing the desolation it creates in us, really an ego-based reaction? It seems to me that it is a reaction built into the unit we inhabit here on earth. A process which includes the inevitable separation from one we love, but that does not necessarily indicate self-indulgance.  The deep suffering is part of the process of separation, but surely a more transcendant sense of our place in the cosmos and connection to it, can be the result, or a result of the process?  Here's hoping things work out okay for you and yours.
Bardo-

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:05pm

DocM,

"[...]
Thoughts?"

Yes, first up, ego and individuality are different matters. Ego can be like quicksand if not somewhat balanced; survival mode in overdrive really. It's a trait that I believe has a root in body consciousness, the picture that bob monroe did great in expanding. Individuality is a magnificent chance to learn to respect difference, and it's certainly not a once in a lifetime opportunity with all the projections from a disc. To put it in american terms, the geek and the jock finally learns to get along. If individuality is perceived as ego based and selfish, I do wonder who's path one is to follow? My way? Hah. Yes, selfish agreed, but.. your way then? An astral hero with an adress that spells belief system territory?

About love and acting lovingly, I don't see the big road block here. If that's the prime directive of one's being, I'd urge to get the sofa out of the asses and do it, like nike! How long will you and others TALK about it before you DO something about it? Sell your house and give the money to the poor, walk the across the country and feed the bottomless pit. Go on! I dare you and others who wear love/pul like medals next to your names like imaginary rewards, for the bravery of talking about it.

If the above advice and the friendly kick at the highest point when picking berries isn't heeded, ok, I can live with that as you've got your individual road. While talk of love and pul is cheap, I guess it's a start, though the perpetual talk looks like a grounded rocket; when are you going to get started on your journeys into what seems to be your bliss?

Now is the time.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:33pm

Hi Volu,

Glad to see you in a good mood this morning.  I don't really feel like answering your attack in full, other than to say that I "walk the walk" of my convictions.  If I told you about the charitable work I do, etc., then I'd be blowing my own horn and indulging my own ego.  Not today, at least. 

I do disagree with you on a number of points.  The notion that those who believe that love is the answer or in PUL have to "get up" and give away their possessions, and hike across the nation doing selfless works is nonsense.  That path may appeal to some, but for me, the answer has been to apply it in everyday situations in the real world.  As such, I see nothing wrong with having a family, a house, etc. and trying to act/be more loving.  Just because you hear us speak of love or PUL on this board, does not mean we are sitting around waiting to start incorporating it into our minds and lives.  If you get tired of hearing about it - pick another thread. 

While I don't disagree that my individual perceptive consciousness is not the same as my ego, I think that the idea of separateness and isolation that comes from being incarnate is in fact an illusion that binds solidly with our egos.  So in some ways, the grand experiment of individuality necessarily feeds the egos and ego based action of we earthly beings.

With love,

Matthew

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:09pm

Hi Bardo,

I think that the feeling of loss and longing may be our misunderstanding of the nature of consciousness, as here on earth we see life as finite, and death as a permanent end of things.  I think that possibly, as we mull over our "loss," we may be the better for it, but there are some who will be the worse, and not transcend what they perceive.  Hence, the notion that the grand experiment in incarnation may inadvertently draw some in deeper and deeper into the isolation of an incarnated being (who believes himself/herself to be separate from everything else).

Matthew

IP Logged

Volu

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:44pm

DocM,

"Glad to see you in a good mood this morning.  I don't really feel like answering your attack in full, other than to say that I "walk the walk" of my convictions."

Haha. A little touch of emotion and the knees start to buckle. How is love going to grow beyond exchanging digital kisses and hugs, evolving to the revered point of being unconditional, if that's all it takes to erect and fearfully hide behind a shield? You don't have to like the clarity in which I paint my pictures, but to dismiss the response as an attack very much looks like drowning in shallow waters.

I'm proposing that the majority who hearts unconditional can't handle being unconditional. In this case, mere words, removed from the intensity of the "real world", was way too big a challenge. And for that you're rewarded a double facepalm. You know, when one just doesn't cut it. Congrats.

"If I told you about the charitable work I do, etc., then I'd be blowing my own horn and indulging my own ego.  Not today, at least."

You just told me and everybody. Having money and being treated like a king by those who haven't sounds dull. Sure is an individual choice to do so though.

"I do disagree with you on a number of points.  The notion that those who believe that love is the answer or in PUL have to "get up" and give away their possessions, and hike across the nation doing selfless works is nonsense." 

Hehe. It's just a figure of speech. Doesn't it deserve to be loved, no strings attached? No puppy eyes means no love?

"That path may appeal to some, but for me the answer has been to apply it in everyday situations in the real world. "

Agreed. Individuality isn't just about ego.

"If you get tired of hearing about it - pick another thread."

Oh, I'm not tired, if you get tired from seeing the talking/walking angle - pick another topic. Or perhaps don't ask 'thoughts?' Or 'selected thoughts only'.

"So in some ways, the grand experiment of individuality necessarily feeds the egos and ego based action of we earthly beings."

Well, primary education before secondary education, but damn primary education, huh? Smiley

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:17pm

Volu:
"Haha. A little touch of emotion and the knees start to buckle. How is love going to grow beyond exchanging digital kisses and hugs, evolving to the revered point of being unconditional, if that's all it takes to erect and fearfully hide behind a shield? You don't have to like the clarity in which I paint my pictures, but to dismiss the response as an attack very much looks like drowning in shallow waters.

I'm proposing that the majority who hearts unconditional can't handle being unconditional. In this case, mere words, removed from the intensity of the "real world", was way too big a challenge. And for that you're rewarded a double facepalm. You know, when one just doesn't cut it. Congrats."

Volu, I can certainly handle the conversation, and do attempt to incorporate love into my life.  If you don't think your initial post sounded like a bit of an attack on those on the board who talk about love, then one of us may have a misunderstanding here.  Acting in a loving way does not mean that we necessarily sit idly by if we are in a conversation and are confronted.  I guess that is called "tough love."

For myself, I never claimed to have ascended to such a state that I love all things unconditionally yet.  I do recognize, at least on an instinctive gut level that whether we choose to follow it or not, love is the foundation of our being.   

As to your point that "Having money and being treated like a king by those who haven't sounds dull," I would again say that I see no innate nobility in poverty as a way to spiritual growth.  Nor do I see any nobility in amassing wealth as some sort of prize.  I suppose it is all how you see it, and for you, it sounds like giving up your material things and serving the poor gives you a sense that your are acting more in line with love.  I don't believe it is necessary though - as I said, we can take common day-to-day situations, and apply our intent/convictions in any situation. 

I always appreciate a good double palm slap though, but really preferred that we stick to the topic and not make this a personal discussion...

IP Logged

Bardo

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:57pm

[quote author=614A4668250 link=1300722660/4#4 date=1300730984]Hi Bardo,

I think that the feeling of loss and longing may be our misunderstanding of the nature of consciousness, as here on earth we see life as finite, and death as a permanent end of things. 

Mathew,
Surely we don't all see life as finite? Isn't that the "path" that we all follow in our cycle, if you believe in that model? True, that if we believe that life is finite, then the death of a loved-one creates a decision point.  Either we continue to believe that, and our trajectory bends toward the earth, or we pass through the grief and loss, embrace the "light", and our path bends further toward "enlightenment". At some point in the cycle, we will break the orbit and begin to move beyond the gravitational pull and toward the higher planes. Pardon the over-use of the space shuttle metaphor.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:12pm

Hi Bardo,

I for one agree with you, and don't believe that death is the end of our existence.  That being said, I can't say for certain what will happen at the end of my earthly body.  And that is the point.  Bruce once likened it to spoiling the ending of a movie - if we knew with certainty that we didn't die "forever," how would that change what we do here on earth?

I do think that many people can grow past the grief and longing, but I feel others, who feel they are missing out on earth life get sucked back in or stuck.  That was one of my main points in posting aside from having a wonderful discussion with Volu.

IP Logged

Volu

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:12pm

DocM,

"If you don't think your initial post sounded like a bit of an attack on those on the board who talk about love, then one of us may have a misunderstanding here."

Very straightforward with the added spice of using emotion to convey the point. Kind of makes the concepts come to life, in a way quite the opposite of being misty, hmmm? Not an attack and no teeth were grinded in the making of the posts, so please don't alarm the dental association. The misunderstanding might be an expectation of how somebody with a spiritual interest should interact. I just don't like straight jackets regardless of the owners. Is that hard to love? The observations are perhaps uncomfortable?

"Acting in a loving way does not mean that we necessarily sit idly by if we are in a conversation and are confronted.  I guess that is called 'tough love.'"

I find the ones most vocal about the joys of unconditional here are the ones not at all bending over when push comes to shove. It doesn't seem like tough love, more like a conflict, choosing what sounds good, but having a hard time justifying it when logic is injected into the mix of good intentions, then stop waving the love flag, but not really, as it's really the love flag but love's suddenly a cousin of jolly roger. Yarr Love. The humor might be hard to love too, but here's to a hearty challenge.

"I suppose it is all how you see it, and for you, it sounds like giving up your material things and serving the poor gives you a sense that your are acting more in line with love."

Nope, it was a point about charity and the elevated feeling somebody down can bring the big hearted. It's not charity for dummies but an example I think flies under the radar.

"I always appreciate a good double palm slap though, but really preferred that we stick to the topic and not make this a personal discussion..."

Good advice, please don't be american about it though - do as I say, not as I do.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:04pm

Volu,

I know from your old posts that you are very much an independent, who expresses distaste for anyone who tries to tell you "this is how it is."  I respect that. You are a non-conformist, and I empathize with that.  I understand with the "don't trust authority" view (it usually goes along with the "live and let live" and "there is no right or wrong, only different approaches" view). 

However, just for communication purposes, people on this forum are going to give you their take on things.  And yes, people will talk of love, PUL and other varieties.  Those conversations, don't necessarily mean that the posters are wearing giant PUL buttons and walking around with smug smiles on their faces, thinking they have the market cornered on love. 

We are all just seekers, trying to make sense of things.  Most of the forum members don't pretend to have it all figured out.  Isn't that the purpose of this forum?  When I posted this thread, it was just to share my thoughts. 

M

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:51am

Yay Individuality! 
It's inspiring to read different individuals' thoughts revolving around this topic. Getting to know each others' opinions will --eventually  Wink --help us to accept our differences. After all, we all come from the same source/Source.

How much we can extend our caring/PUL is an interesting problem. One spiritual leader said to love our neighbor as ourselves. For me that takes care of the need to sell all to give all away. I think we rub shoulders along the way with those ('neighbors') who have a specific role in our lives. Others remain anonymous.

You all on this thread and on this site have become my neighbors by  making me aware of your ideas.  Keep em coming!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 12:07pm

DocM wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:51am:
It has been increasingly clear to me on my quest for inner understanding, that ego based thinking and the feeding of our own egos ties and binds us to the world.  Much grief comes about when we indulge our egos and explore our individuality, as a thing separate from the rest of creation. 

Yet I was thinking about this the other day, when I had to face the potential great personal loss of one I loved dearly.  How many of us can transcend this ego-driven thinking, and let it go?  We all create our own "normalcy" in our daily routines.  We go to work, play, indulge ourselves, build up our earthly roles in society.  Yet how many of us can leave, and transition to the afterlife and are ready for it?  Is it not more likely that the vast majority of people will feel profound loss and grief after they cross over?  How many will say "I never got a chance to do......?" 

Yet this individual mode of thinking, this self-absorbed ego wishes to continue on earth, and feels hurt or wounded if  it loses the false sense of eternity we build up-around ourselves while incarnate.

It is easy enough to say that we should put our thoughts toward love and acting lovingly toward others, and that if we practice what we preach, we will have an easier transition when we do die.  Yet, for me, this recent episode let me know how vulnerable I was - how unready I currently am to pass on or to have others pass away - how even as I try to rid myself of ego based or selfish thoughts, I can't seem to let go of a loved one without experiencing profound grief and longing.

Sometimes, I think that individual lives lived on earth are part of a grand experiment in consciousness, but I am just not sure how the "volunteers" in this experiment can free themselves from thinking via their egos in order to transcend in spirit to another level of love.  Clearly those unable to leave things behind (or integrate their loved ones and things into a different level of thought), are destined to be bound to the earth plane, perhaps through reincarnation, until they are ready to move on.

Thoughts?

Matthew

Hi Matthew-

I'm reminded of cases where someone willingly sacrifices their life in order to save the lives of others.  Typically they do it with no consideration or forethought, and probably with no ego-based thought process.  You hear about this in times of war and I imagine most parents would take a bullet meant for their child, again with no ego driven fears or concerns.

However, the emotion of grief when a loved one dies is not, at least to me, an ego problem.  In fact I would be more concerned if grief were not present in such cases.

Also I think PUL is highly misunderstood.  It's not something that we "have" or something we can "send."  Most folks confuse PUL with an emotion.

Genuine PUL is a state of being, something that IS.  It may even be God.  But it is definitely not a commodity like a can of beans that can be sent back and forth.

In fact, PUL is not possible for any human.  Yes, a mother might feel an emotion similar to that when she holds her newborn infant, but that emotion doesn't last forever.  It is, in fact, highly conditional.  That same mother would quickly feel anger and perhaps hatred in the event anyone tried to harm her child.  Therefore, her love by definition cannot be unconditional.  If it were, it would be there 24/7/365.  It would not be conditioned by time, place, person, or circumstance.

Not humanly possible.

R

IP Logged

Bardo

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 12:15pm

@rondele,
I agree vis-a-vis PUL. The best I can do is to attempt to generate an approximation (my interpreter's version) of PUL.  I understand your description of it, but cannot relate in any experiential way. I can and do, however, muster my best effort and direct it toward others. My version of prayer. Knowing that there is an ideal, or universal force binding the multiverse is both humbling and encouraging. I hope to experience it.

IP Logged

Volu

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:06pm

DocM,
"[...] We are all just seekers, trying to make sense of things.  Most of the forum members don't pretend to have it all figured out.  Isn't that the purpose of this forum?  When I posted this thread, it was just to share my thoughts." 

Yes, what you write is obvious, and if my emotions caught you off guard and made the point less obvious - I just challenged your thoughts. And that's all there is to it - hasn't got anything to do with, or will not by any means alter your or others' statuses as seekers. I could use the same argument, I'm just a seeker, but it's not about that.

And now I'm not addressing anybody specific. Sort of. When you, that's right, YOU, even if just by paying lip service to anything unconditional, this is an uncomfortable part of what you're praising like the second coming of sliced bread. I'm going to be crystal clear about this, so CAUTION, don't read on if your heart easily skips a beat.

Unconditional means no matter what, not restricted by reservations. Without conditions, limitations, reservations or qualifications. Unconditional sleeping, sleep no matter what, even if logic pokes it's grimy finger at the sleeping heart. Unconditional love. Your best friend facerapes your daughter, love him no matter what. Her sister, your dog, and the beheading of sweet ol' granny - love, without restrictions. Say no and be all about tough love, but not really as no is a condition.

Your friend gives you a hug, and you share unconditional love? Come on. That's not unconditional. It's a walk in the park, albeit an excellent walk in the park.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.