Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to begin? (Read 1644 times)
Intrigued

ALK Member

Where to begin?
Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:02pm

Hello to everyone...

I was thinking about ordering Bruce's home study Afterlife Knowedge Guidebook & CD's but I'm new to all of this information and haven't yet read any of the books yet listed in the recommended resources.  To those of you familiar with the resources, would it be better to start off with more of a foundational book or do the CD's supply enough background information on their own.  Just not sure where to begin my studies in developing my understanding of all this.

Also, I'd like to begin to learn meditation and don't really know how to go about it.  Any suggestions on that (books, tapes, techniques, etc.) would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Angela

mrskaline@hotmail.com mrskaline@hotmail.com  
IP Logged

James Ward

ALK Member

Re: Where to begin?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 4:27am

Hi Angela,

I recommend just bumbling along  Smiley  I've been enjoying doing precisely that!

I read Bruce's earlier books first, and they definitely provide a good foundation for the Guidebook.  On the other hand, if you are drawn to the Guidebook first, why not go with that?  It's very straightforward, and if you are willing to take the time to be with it and yourself with patience, relaxation and attention, you should do just fine.  The earlier books are worth reading, though.  If you have no particular inclination to start specifically with the Guidebook, I can say that I was happy to have read them in the order of publication.

I guess it's kind of important to be casual about suggesting ways of approaching subjects like meditation.  I'm sure you've noticed there are a lot of books (etc.) about it out there, and some feel like a better fit than others -- and the others might feel better at another time.

So, a lot of the fun is in the exploring, and seeing how different people conceptually approach and frame the process of paying attention to your awareness, or the nature of reality ("the basic space of phenomena," as one text puts it), or...  Probably some of them will feel more right, or dearer to your heart, or more helpful in the moment.

I am rather fond of the presentation of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche in The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep.  There is a chapter there called "Calm Abiding: Zhiné."

Here's a partial excerpt which you might find interesting:

Quote:
Calm Abiding: Zhiné

A successful dream yogi must be stable enough in presence to avoid being swept away by the winds of karmic emotions and lost in the dream.  As the mind steadies, dreams become longer, less fragmented, and more easily remembered, and lucidity is developed.  Waking life is equally enhanced as we find that we are increasingly protected from being carried away by the habitual emotional reactions that draw us into distraction and unhappiness, and can instead develop the positive traits that lead to happiness and that support us in the spiritual journey.

All yogic and spiritual disciplines include some form of practice that develops concentration and quiets the mind.  In the Tibetan tradition this practice is called calm abiding (zhiné).  We recognize three stages in the development of stability:  forceful zhiné, natural zhiné, and ultimate zhiné.  Zhiné begins with mental fixation on an object and, when concentration is strong enough, moves on to fixation without an object.

Begin the practice by sitting in the five-pointed meditation posture:  the legs crossed, the hands folded in the lap in meditation position with palms up and placed one on top of the other, the spine straight but not rigid, the head tilted down slightly to straighten the neck, and the eyes open.  The eyes should be relaxed, not too wide open and not too closed.  The object of concentration should be placed so that the eyes can look straight ahead, neither up nor down.  During the practice try not to move, not even to swallow or blink, while keeping the mind one-pointedly on the object.  Even if tears should stream down your face, do not move.  Let the breathing be natural.

Generally, for practice with an object, we use the Tibetan letter A as the object of concentration.  This letter has many symbolic meanings but here is used simply as a support for the development of focus.  Other objects may also be used -- the letter A of the English alphabet, an image, the sound of a mantra, the breath -- almost anything.  However, it is good to use something connected to the sacred, as it serves to inspire you.  Also, try to use the same object each time you practice, rather than switching between objects, because the continuity acts as a support of the practice.  It is also somewhat preferable to focus on a physical object that is outside the body, as the purpose is to develop stability during the perception of external objects and, eventually, of the objects in dream.

If you wish to use the Tibetan A you can write it on a piece of paper about an inch square.  Traditionally, the letter is white and is enclosed in five concentric colored circles:  the center circle that is the direct background for the A is indigo; around it is a blue circle, then green, red, yellow, and white ones.  Tape the paper to a stick that is just long enough to support the paper at eye level when you sit for practice, and make a base that holds it upright.  Place it so that the A is about a foot and a half in front of your eyes.

[An example of this:]
http://tinyurl.com/2ecdo5r

Many signs of progress can arise during the practice.  As concentration strengthens and the periods of practice are extended, strange sensations arise in the body and many strange visual phenomena appear.  You may find your mind doing strange things, too!  That is all right.  These experiences are a natural part of the development of concentration; they arise as the mind settles, so be neither disturbed by nor excited about them.

FORCEFUL ZHINÉ

The first stage of practice is called "forceful" because it requires effort.  The mind is easily and quickly distracted, and it may seem impossible to remain focused on the object for even a minute.  In the beginning, it is helpful to practice in numerous short sessions alternating with breaks.  Do not let the mind wander during the break, but instead recite a mantra, or work with visualization, or work with another practice you may know, such as the development of compassion.  After the break, return to the fixation practice.  If you are ready to practice but do not have the particular object you have been using, visualize a ball of light on your forehead and center yourself there.  The practice should be done once or twice a day, and can be done more frequently if you have the time.  Developing concentration is like strengthening the muscles of the body:  exercise must be done regularly and frequently.  To become stronger keep pushing against your limits.

Keep the mind on the object.  Do not follow the thoughts of the past or the future.  Do not allow the attention to be carried away by fantasy, sound, physical sensation, or any other distraction.  Just remain in the sensuality of the present moment, and with your whole strength and clarity focus the mind through the eye, on the object.  Do not lose the awareness of the object even for a second.  Breathe gently, and then more gently, until the sense of breathing is lost.  Slowly allow yourself to enter more deeply into quiet and calm.  Make certain that the body is kept relaxed; do not tense up in concentration.  Neither should you allow yourself to fall into a stupor, a dullness, or a trance.

Do not think about the object, just let it be in awareness.  This is an important distinction to make.  Thinking about the object is not the kind of concentration we are developing.  The point here is just to keep the mind placed on the object, on the sense perception of the object, to undistractedly remain aware of the presence of the object.  When the mind does get distracted -- and it often will in the beginning -- gently bring it back to the object and leave it there.

But there are a lot of helpful materials (and people!) out there.  Another nice book is The Fine Arts of Relaxation, Concentration, and Meditation:  Ancient Skills for Modern Minds by Joel and Michelle Levey.  It's kind of a smorgasbord of different practices.

These are just a couple of sources you might enjoy looking at; there are certainly a lot more that are quite worthy.

Have a great time!

James

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 8:15am

Intrigued wrote on Sep 28th, 2010 at 6:02pm:
Hello to everyone...

I was thinking about ordering Bruce's home study Afterlife Knowedge Guidebook & CD's but I'm new to all of this information and haven't yet read any of the books yet listed in the recommended resources.  To those of you familiar with the resources, would it be better to start off with more of a foundational book or do the CD's supply enough background information on their own.  Just not sure where to begin my studies in developing my understanding of all this.

Also, I'd like to begin to learn meditation and don't really know how to go about it.  Any suggestions on that (books, tapes, techniques, etc.) would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Angela

Hi Angela: This site has specific forums for each of monroe and moen's books.

http://afterlife-knowledge.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=guidebook

Here is the link for this site... you can navigate to it also. But people who have done the exercises from the guidebook have posted info about doing them.

S.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 3:20pm

As suggested above, I figure there is no one way. Sometimes things fall into place as needed. I believe the key is to not get overly involved with any resource to an extent where it ends up being a foundation for a limiting and perhaps misleading belief system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.