Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Out Of Body: How do you Prove it? (Read 19260 times)
Jehovah
Ex Member

Out Of Body: How do you Prove it?
Aug 18th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Robert A. Monroe.

Whilst listening to Binaural beats and meditating.... presumably Robert A. Monroe contacted a spirit being which took him through time and space and he met other humans and..... yes.... aliens. This is in his book "Ultimate Journey"

Fantastical... no?

One would definitely question one if not many and all parts of these supposed OBE's.....

Thinking that in fact they could be just simple IMAGINATION....

So... I would say, for the general public and for general proof of an OBE we would logically ( as the Vulcans would say ) be looking for some sort of VERIFIABLE proof, no?

Well, according to one test, I read that Monroe and some others attempted to read a 4 or 5 digit or so number which was kept in a different room. ( so they had to OBE and read the number while OBE. )

Scientifically, this does seem like an acceptable test as long as everything is secure.

All attempts failed....except....

Supposedly Monroe got the number correct ONE time and was unable to repeat it.

(Science usually dictates that an experiment must be repeatable.)

So there is my story....

My question on this topic does still stand though....

The question is:

How do you Scientifically prove you have had an OBE?

Does scientific laboratory testing of OBE's exist?

IP Logged

supermodel

Indiana
Re: Out Of Body: How do you Prove it?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:09am

i personally looked at a clock.

Here's a thought.

experience one yourself..using whatever evidence you need to suffice.

Have a productive evening.

Supermodel....

IP Logged

Jehovah
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:18am

Supermodel,

I cannot.

IP Logged

supermodel

Indiana
Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:28am

Quote:
Supermodel,

I cannot.

Undecided Sorry. I experienced one myself by paying attention to the clock near my bed.

When I "returned", I quickly looked at my clock (Was facing the other way) and the time was the same.

I was absolutely amazed. I wasn't aware of what happened at first, but the minute I tried washing the few dishes in my sink and I couldn't manipulate the knobs, it gave me a clue.  Smiley

Supermodel....

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Colorado
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 1:35am

Jehovah,

I think scientific proof is irrelavant and a misguided focus.  If you had one person who could claim they went out of body and verified a 5 digit number, what would that be proof of?  And if they did so, to say they "had to be out of body in order to do it" is false logic.  You'd only have proof of the correct numbers but not proof of their subjective experience.

The reason I say it's irrelavant is because to "go out of body" isn't a physical experience.  You are assuming that we are "in" our bodies and that an OBE means to go out of that body.  Try thinking of the concept of OBE differently.  The mind and consciousness are not physical things.  They are not contained inside the physical body.  You could say they are focused there, but they are not contained there.  Going out of body is nothing more than switching your focus of mind and consciousness from the (idea of) the body to some other area.  The classic definition contains the concept of being able to experience something that you could not have experienced through normal physical senses.

Do you see where the false logic is coming into play now?  You are wanting to prove one thing by a demonstration of something completely unrelated.  Getting the 5-digit number doesn't prove you left your body, and it doesn't prove you are ever "in" your body.  All it proves is that you gained the correct information of that 5 digit number. 

Supermodel,

I'm laughing that you manage to have an OBE and all you did was want to wash dishes!!  I'm just kidding.  I have the same kind of experiences.  It's those little things that happen in them, like not being able to work the knobs, that give us a clue to the nature of our reality.  Did you immediately awaken after you realized you were out of body?

Vicky

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

chrwe

ALK Member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Poor Jehova,

I emphasize with you, but posting this across numerous forums will not help. You will always have to believe what people tell you - or try experience something yourself.

I thought you have "spoken" to Cindy? At least you posted something along the lines in the TMI forums.

I hope you can find some purpose in life and some light even without 100% hard scientific proof, which is not available. Only a lot of hints - and that is something, isnt it?

Chrwe

IP Logged

supermodel

Indiana
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 1:44pm

@vicky

Just the virgo in me I suppose. A pet peeve is dishes in the sink. I remember passing the kitchen seeing a black bowl and a fork so I tried to turn the knobs.

Nothing happened and that confused me so I said forget it. I got back in bed, looking at the clock.

Thats when I jolted back in my body, facing the wall. I immediately turned to the clock and it was the same time.

Later I went to the kitchen and what do you know, the same items in the sink in my  OBE were in the sink physically.

My daughter eats late at times so I'm sure she did that after I went to bed for the evening.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 3:04pm by supermodel »  

Supermodel....

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:11pm

Supermodel, that is really cool!  And speaking of proof, I wouldn't need anything more than that...what you saw and saw again in two different states of being ought to make anyone experiencing it believe it.  If not, well, then some choose not to believe anything...   

chrwe...your faith is refreshing! Your light is showing...

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:45pm

usetawuz wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:11pm:
Supermodel, that is really cool!  And speaking of proof, I wouldn't need anything more than that...what you saw and saw again in two different states of being ought to make anyone experiencing it believe it.  If not, well, then some choose not to believe anything...   

Supermodel,

I agree, that's a neat experience with enough external proof to validate it.   

I notice a lot of brief OBEs of either getting out of bed or returning to bed, and seeing my bedroom thinking I'm awake.  But then I physically wake up and realize I was having an OBE. 

I don't do it anymore, but many years ago used to sleep wearing a sleep mask to keep the light out.  And I used to notice more OBEs that way just because of the fact that I'd be "awake" and aware lying in bed and had full visual ability of my bedroom, and I'd just lie there for a few moments thinking, not wanting to get up yet.  Then I'd physically awaken and realize that I still have my sleep mask covering my eyes!  Of course that told me I was having an OBE.  It's funny how we have to sift through logical thinking before we can arrive at these types of things sometimes because the experience is so much just like physical waking consciousness. 

Vicky   

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

supermodel

Indiana
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 3:05pm

Thanks guys.

Vicky--that's pretty awesome about the sleep mask over your eyes. I wish I could OBE more often. Now that I KNOW what it is, I may try to have some fun with it this time!

Supermodel....

IP Logged

Ginny

Wa
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Hi Jehovah,

Around twenty years ago after getting my hands on TMI's Gateway Home Series and using the tapes (CDs weren't invented or in circulation yet Roll Eyes) as instructed, I started having OOB dreams: One had me simply staring at my dirty dishes in the kitchen sink for over a minute (Supermodel I'm not kidding! Grin), one had me inside my brain watching hundreds of massive bolts of lightning and electrical charges going off (the noise was something you tend not to forget) and one had me re-entering my sleeping physical body backwards (my nonphysical eyes were momentarily looking out through my physical feet!.. it felt like what it must be like wearing a straight jacket or something...and I then righted myself and awoke instantly to a good laugh). Because I experienced these while in an unconscious or sleep state, although I was having a blast I still wasn't quite convinced of their validity.

So, after still not having a classic OOBE for several months and thinking I never would, I decided one evening *to pretend* to have an OOBE. Why not? What did I have to lose? I would just *use my imagination* and have some fun. So, with eyes closed I used my mind's eye and watched myself (in a long, narrow mirror on the wall where there's usually a headboard) slowly rise upward, leaving my body to hoover up near the ceiling. I watched my body below, no big deal...I looked around my apartment, everything appeared normal, crystal clear...until I saw a milky white human form move towards the dining room window. I instantly knew who it was and what was on their mind. I knew the person's physical body was actually asleep elsewhere and what I was seeing was their 'OOB body'. I was so astonished I instantly zapped back into my physical body and woke up (when did I fall asleep?) and later verified with that friend the information I had received while we apparently had both been 'OOB' (what that person had been thinking). I did not previously know and could not have known such info without the 'OOB' experience. The friend was so rattled by what I knew that they wouldn't talk to me for over a year, but oh well Roll Eyes. It turned out to be the only OOBE I've ever had at will, while fully conscious. Did it convince me, finally? Yes. It's wasn't a new belief...it was and is a Knowing which can only come from personal experience.

Fast forward to 2001 and I find Bruce Moen's discoveries on the internet: The OOBE is not required to explore alternate states of consciousness; using the imagination with his technique called Focused Attention (Bob Monroe called it Phasing); gathering previously unknown and verifiable info from directly experiencing the afterlife yourself (don't have to rely on others and their beliefs) to get your own proof. And I went for it. I had a gold mine! Although I was unsure of how to go about it, after reading Bruce's book I decided that if he could do it, so could I. And sure enough, I began a journey which eventually led to a retrieval situation, at the behest of my deceased Mom, and received information I had not previously known. And it's happened many times since.

So, Jehovah, go for it. Why not? What have you got to lose?

Much love Wink,

Ginny

"Intelligence is knowing that which is important." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Rob_Roy

New Hampshire, USA
Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 12:54am

It's late and my brain is contorting itself. Please bear with me.  Lips Sealed

This is the closest thing I've seen so far:

"The VERITAS Research Program of the Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health (formerly the Human Energy Systems Laboratory) in the Department of Psychology at the University of Arizona was created primarily to test the hypothesis that the consciousness (or personality or identity) of a person survives physical death." From the website.

Dr. Gary E. Schwartz founded this lab, if memory serves. He's authored a few books on the subject.

Another is IONS (The Institute of Noetic Sciences).

I think Consciousness Studies is the field that is trying to approach the general subject area from a scientific perspective. As far as I can tell it's still on the fringe.

As I understand things, and I'm not a scientist, science is five-sensory. Multisensory perception is beyond its domain and capabilities. Since there's a requirement that something (here an experience) be observable, repeatable and then subject to peer review, I don't think we'll get anywhere using the scientific method as our means and standard of proof. That science has made great progress for all of us in the physical domain is to be respected, but in modern times it has asserted itself as the arbiter of secular (or all) truth, or at least that's the status that people have given it. Such authority as it seems to extend to things beyond the five senses is, I think, beyond its mandate and no longer pure science as I understand it, but "scientism," a belief system in itself.

As we are dealing with experiences that are radically subjective, proof must be had on that basis, subjectively. Using your reason and through repeated experiences of the same kind, along with partnering with others whenever possible, should prove to you that your experiences are real (or not). This is empirical in the philosophical sense, if not strictly scientific, and is the best any of us can do for now.

From Wikipedia:

"In philosophy, empiricism is a theory of knowledge that asserts that knowledge arises from evidence gathered via sense experience. Empiricism is one of several competing views that predominate in the study of human knowledge, known as epistemology. Empiricism emphasizes the role of experience and evidence, especially sensory perception, in the formation of ideas, over the notion of innate ideas or tradition.

In a related sense, empiricism in the philosophy of science emphasizes those aspects of scientific knowledge that are closely related to evidence, especially as discovered in experiments. It is a fundamental part of the scientific method that all hypotheses and theories must be tested against observations of the natural world, rather than resting solely on a priori reasoning, intuition, or revelation. Hence, science is considered to be methodologically empirical in nature."

Again, note the emphasis on sensory experience, which means five-sensory, not multisensory. If we substitute multisensory for five-sensory, then i think our approach through experience and observation is empirical. I think TMI and Bruce have proven that such experiences are repeatable. But for now our proof is subjective and inter-subjective, and that's the best we can expect.

Hope this helps!  Smiley

Rob

IP Logged

AH1976

Midlands, UK
Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 9:03pm

Along a similar line to the oroginal post, I downloaded some of these binaural programs for my iPod. Assuming they work is there any way I can help them along, so far I haven't had much success, does it take time?

IP Logged

Petrus

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 6:21pm

Jehovah, I've had five major hits so far.

One was when I saw the BST where (at least some) Islamic suicide bombers go when they die.  I described it as being rectangular, and longer than it was wide; and Berserk showed me an excerpt from a book by Emmanuel Swedenborg, from the 1700s, where he described it the same way.  This was the secret garden of paradise described by Marco Polo; the original hashashin, when drugged and woken there, believed they had died and gone to heaven, even while still alive, and that BST developed as a result.  As a result of this, and another experience involving a prayer to Allah, I have been reconciled with Islam, although I am still not Muslim.

The second was when I went to the individualised BST that was inhabited by the spirit of Jay Van Andel, one of the late co-founders of the Amway Corporation.  I had not seen a recent photo of Van Andel prior to the dream, and was able to verify his appearance via a Google search, after I woke up.

The third was when I performed an open-handed evocation of the archangel Raphael, and described him as having been around 12 feet tall.  This was corroborated by a fellow magician who had seen him as having that height, and was also partly verified by Google artwork as well.  Raphael is a very effective healer, and very friendly.

The fourth was when, initially viewing this image on a magazine cover, I was able to correctly identify it as the archangel Michael, before reading who it was, as a result of a couple of brief evocations I have done with him, as well.  Michael is a wonderful angel.  His offices are evocation and exorcism, and he also often meets members of Judaism in Near Death Experiences.  He is a large presence, and very powerful, but he exudes much calm and solar energy, as well.
http://www.thefaeriesandangelsmagazine.com/resources/Michael72CR.JPGtimestamp=12...

The fifth was when, reading a book on remote viewing, the book began to describe a building that I correctly identified as Auschwitz, two pages before the name was mentioned.  I had a very strong sense of negative energy from the description, and had not, to my knowledge, seen imagery of Auschwitz prior.

http://www.krakow-poland.com/image_magic.phptitle=x&imgid=becc&width=gaa&height=...

These might be considered small things, perhaps; but they add up over time.

...&&eMule : Welcome to Aquarian society.

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 6:01am

Jehovah,

Your own experience is the only evidence that will convince you.   For those of us who have experienced OBEs no other evidence is necessary.  If you want to check out some published scientific inquiries  here's a list you could start with at http://obebibliography.info/science.htm

It only covers some of the scientific inquiries between 1834 and 2003 but  I'm sure a little Googling would find more for you to study.

Bruce

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.